Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

What market?

Update* Never mind, just saw the GPS location on the ookla app.

Ya, sprint performing on 5G like carriers are performing current with LTE advanced. Sprint will have better averages and coverage, but what happens when average consumer gets on 5G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Ya, sprint performing on 5G like carriers are performing current with LTE advanced. Sprint will have better averages and coverage, but what happens when average consumer gets on 5G

Keep in mind that Sprint is using ENDC to share LTE and 5G spectrum on 5G devices. Its quite a handy tool to balance the load. It will take a huge uptick of NEW customers to saturate the added airlink.

22 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

This is my VZW speed

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

That's all well and fine, an unloaded tower proves very little, this is comparing two of the same devices in the same location. Its a huuuuuge win for Sprint. Chicago has a ton of folks using all networks and this clearly shows what happens when comparing them under similar circumstances.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

This is my VZW speed

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Also to be fair, turn the corner when V attaches to 5G, the device hits over 700mbs as long as its within 200-300ft LOS from node.

11 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

Anyways Sprint is doing 5G upgrades in my area

Good one Dan..  Just "Throw" that one out there...Happy for you.   Sprint isn't doing squat by me. ... in case you are wondering.    Do we have a 5G thread?   

Edited by dro1984

All this news about 5G is great, but I was on Amtrak yesterday for a day trip between Washington DC (Union Station) and Iselin, NJ (Metropark Station), and Sprint’s coverage while on the trip was atrocious.

It repeatedly dropped to no 1x, 1x, 1 bar of LTE, or unusable LTE with more than one bar. (I have a fully updated iPhone XS and I reported the network issues where/when I could.)

It makes me wonder if any of Sprint’s Network Team has tested/ridden the Amtrak Northeast Corridor and tried using their device(s). How can they expect anyone to get work done (or other personal usage) while on the trip with this level of network performance? Hopefully Sprint addresses this, because 5G only goes so far in acquiring new and keeping customers. Sprint needs to address these fundamentals.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

All this news about 5G is great, but I was on Amtrak yesterday for a day trip between Washington DC (Union Station) and Iselin, NJ (Metropark Station), and Sprint’s coverage while on the trip was atrocious.

It repeatedly dropped to no 1x, 1x, 1 bar of LTE, or unusable LTE with more than one bar. (I have a fully updated iPhone XS and I reported the network issues where/when I could.)

It makes me wonder if any of Sprint’s Network Team has tested/ridden the Amtrak Northeast Corridor and tried using their device(s). How can they expect anyone to get work done (or other personal usage) while on the trip with this level of network performance? Hopefully Sprint addresses this, because 5G only goes so far in acquiring new and keeping customers. Sprint needs to address these fundamentals.

EXACTLY.  Give my good 4G. I have no need for 5G at all. Most people do not. All the hype about 5G is just the marketing dept trying to get users for 5g when there really is not much demand.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, chamb said:

EXACTLY.  Give my good 4G. I have no need for 5G at all. Most people do not. All the hype about 5G is just the marketing dept trying to get users for 5g when there really is not much demand.

I agree with you to a point. 5G does serve a purpose, and if it helps address a saturated LTE network, then that’s great.

However, my experience yesterday is a glaring example of how Sprint is not accomplishing the basics. Millions of customers ride the Northeast Corridor every year. That’s millions of prospective and current Sprint customers. A network not working when you need it to is the quickest way to lose a customer (or not gain one), and if you tell a friend/colleague who’s on another carrier that your device doesn’t have coverage to do something (and they do), why would they ever switch?

3 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Looks to denote upgraded sites. 

The tweet states that 285 macro sites have been upgraded and that 41 small cell sites have been brought on air.

That figure doesn’t seem to correlate with the number/color of dots on the map image.

6 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

The tweet states that 285 macro sites have been upgraded and that 41 small cell sites have been brought on air.

That figure doesn’t seem to correlate with the number/color of dots on the map image.

You should tweet Mark to confirm.

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Darn did you ever think, that being in that metal can called a rail road car could have something to do with signal degredation. I travel constantly from DC to Newark and I get good results with my LG G7

1 hour ago, kg4icg said:

Darn did you ever think, that being in that metal can called a rail road car could have something to do with signal degredation. I travel constantly from DC to Newark and I get good results with my LG G7

I ran multiple Rootmetrics App speed tests along the route. I utilized different servers and ran the tests multiple times.

At certain locations while on the tracks, I was able to pull 100 Mbps down. At other locations it dropped out completely for a couple minutes, dropped to 1x or it was barely hanging on to 1 bar of LTE as we went along. It did this repeatedly. I ran speedtests when it did that and I reported the issue in the My Sprint App. Given that I received a mix of good and essentially “zero” speeds in locations, I’m not sure that signal degradation was the issue. I believe it’s more due to poor tower spacing and congestion.

Based on my experience yesterday, Sprint’s service along Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor needs some major improvement, because honestly I was left holding a brick at times. Emails wouldn’t load. Links wouldn’t load. You can’t market a service like this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yuhfhrh said:

So it looks like Chicago is doing standalone NR then?

Yes SA NR deployment with ENDC on the downlink. UL NR+LTE ENDC will likely be deployed in the future although I'm not sure the exact forecast on that. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Yes SA NR deployment with ENDC on the downlink. UL NR+LTE ENDC will likely be deployed in the future although I'm not sure the exact forecast on that. 

Current SA NR uploads look very promising so far. Do you think NR+LTE UL ENDC would help improve at the edge signal in a meaningful way?