Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Yeah I'm changing everything in the network settings, not debug menu. Band 41 is pretty solid around here but I have noticed when signal check pro says I'm on 26 the tests don't work. In a previous office in a different part of town I had fringe lte service and had similar issues but leaving it in global mode made sure I got everything timely (for the most part). Will chalk it up to DC not being an official LTE market. I'll continue to tinker and call my N5 from the land line until my boss asks what the hell I'm doing all day...

Yeah I'm changing everything in the network settings, not debug menu. Band 41 is pretty solid around here but I have noticed when signal check pro says I'm on 26 the tests don't work. In a previous office in a different part of town I had fringe lte service and had similar issues but leaving it in global mode made sure I got everything timely (for the most part). Will chalk it up to DC not being an official LTE market. I'll continue to tinker and call my N5 from the land line until my boss asks what the hell I'm doing all day...

I stopped using my nexus 5 due to band 26 connection issues myself. So you are not the first to experience that. I still haven't sent it back to google will see if they do an exchange for a different device.

can you copy texts over from hangouts? no emojis?

Textra has emojis, as an optional expansion. I'm guessing they do this to keep the app tiny for those who wouldn't use them, I use SMS backup and restore and it ported mine over the first time I used it. Now my texts are in to the hundred thousands....so I'm not sure how it'd work with a large amount lol. Once you start with textra you won't go back. The developers are always trying to improve and when stuff doesn't set well with the users they change it or bring things back (note different colored bubbles for each person!).

I had a similar problem when I first moved over to sprint from t-mobile. Everything was working fine except for outgoing calls. Eventually what I had to do was go into the mobile networks menu and put the phone in 3G under preferred network type. I then proceeded to reboot. After the phone was back on and had a 3G signal I changed the preferred network type back to global. Finally I went to the testing menu (*#*#4636#*#*) and turned off the radio under phone information and then back on. For some reason this restores all calling function for both incoming and outgoing. Also, the reason I recommend switching to 3G only before reboot is because for some reason if I don't do this I end up with the same problem as before. 

I had a similar problem when I first moved over to sprint from t-mobile. Everything was working fine except for outgoing calls. Eventually what I had to do was go into the mobile networks menu and put the phone in 3G under preferred network type. I then proceeded to reboot. After the phone was back on and had a 3G signal I changed the preferred network type back to global. Finally I went to the testing menu (*#*#4636#*#*) and turned off the radio under phone information and then back on. For some reason this restores all calling function for both incoming and outgoing. Also, the reason I recommend switching to 3G only before reboot is because for some reason if I don't do this I end up with the same problem as before.

Its an issue with the newer radios. See my post earlier for a fix: http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5806-LG-Google-Nexus-5-Users-Thread!&do=findComment&comment=359416

Which is being discussed?  Dropped 1x and leaving only EVDO or dropping EVDO and leaving only 1x quite frequently?  I drop EVDO quite a bit and I notice that when it does this the phone is scanning for LTE.  I watch the engineering screens.  As soon as it is done scanning for LTE, EVDO connects again until next time.  Incredibly annoying.

• Like 1

Which is being discussed? Dropped 1x and leaving only EVDO or dropping EVDO and leaving only 1x quite frequently? I drop EVDO quite a bit and I notice that when it does this the phone is scanning for LTE. I watch the engineering screens. As soon as it is done scanning for LTE, EVDO connects again until next time. Incredibly annoying.

Yes 1x not connecting after a SIM swap to a GSM network. EVDO dropping has been a known issue with no solution for ages .

I don't think I was seeing the exact same issue you were. There have been only a handful of times where I was unable to to move back to LTE from 3G but I have a feeling that this was more of an issue with the towers here in town. I've only see the 1X issue once but a restart resolved it. Hopefully everything will be better once band 26 starts to roll out here in San Antonio.

Swintec, my initial post was in regards to zippychance's issue with incoming calls. You should also check out SignalCheck Pro. It's a great app that helps you monitor your connections in the notification taskbar and its fairly accurate to what you would see on the LTE Engineering screen.

• Like 1

I don't think they were talking about the same problem in your link. They were having problems making and accepting calls while on LTE, an eCSFB issue. Your problem is the issue (feature?) where the phone is frequently dropping CDMA to scan for LTE, probably a Nexus 5 firmware bug/change that sets the internal timers on the phone to scan for LTE too often. They are completely different and separate issues.

So a different issue all together now. I've been noticing the past few weeks that my phone gets rather warm during casual usage on the web browser. The back light is usually on auto or 10-15% of the maximum brightness. Google Now is disabled as well as location services. Android OS, Android System and Google Services seem to be in the top 3 spots for battery usage aside from the screen. I only let a handful of apps sync in the background, work email, gmail, contacts and a few others. 

Lastly, when location services is disabled what prevents an app from requesting your location? Or can an app continually request your location thereby keeping the device awake?

Swintec, my initial post was in regards to zippychance's issue with incoming calls. You should also check out SignalCheck Pro. It's a great app that helps you monitor your connections in the notification taskbar and its fairly accurate to what you would see on the LTE Engineering screen.

yes, i have it but it does not show the phone actually scanning the bands for an LTE connection which is why I have to go into engineering to see it happen.   I drop EVDO, watch the phone scan band 25 then 26 then 41 then parks on 51 and I have EVDO back.

Does anyone know how to get texts messages from hangouts to show up on lock screen? Like iPhone does?

I think you can go to settings>security>enable widgets and then add the hangouts widget from the lock screen by sliding down on the lock screen clock and then left to the plus icon. Then you can slide down on the widget after it has been added and long press to reorder it.

This should actually work with any texting app that has a widget, now that I think about it.

I don't think they were talking about the same problem in your link. They were having problems making and accepting calls while on LTE, an eCSFB issue. Your problem is the issue (feature?) where the phone is frequently dropping CDMA to scan for LTE, probably a Nexus 5 firmware bug/change that sets the internal timers on the phone to scan for LTE too often. They are completely different and separate issues.

My issue was with the phone not connecting to 1x after swapping from T-Mobile to Sprint on the 4.4.3/4.4.4 radio. When the phone dropped to 3G either by me forcing it or by it losing LTE due to signal strength, the signal indicator would show "Searching for service" with an active EVDO data connection. I verified this with signal check and saw that there was no active 1x connection. The temporary fix for that was to set the radio to CDMA only and reboot, then move back to LTE/global. The issue with that fix was that you have to remember to set the phone to CDMA only every time you reboot or 1x won't connect. As described in the post I linked, using the old pre-4.4.3 radios and swapping from T-Mobile to Sprint does not induce the issue.

The issue MikeCortez was describing is exactly the same issue I have reproduced many times swapping from T-Mobile to Sprint on the latest radio.

When the phone dropped to 3G either by me forcing it or by it loosing LTE due to signal strength, the signal indicator would show "Searching for service" with an active EVDO data connection. I verified this with signal check and saw that there was no active 1x connection.

Watch out for that loose LTE!! ;)

FYI, whenever the N5 does not have a 1X connection, it sets the provider name to "Searching for Service", it might not actually be searching for anything. Putting the phone into LTE-only mode is the best example of that.

If you toggle between "Global" and "LTE" mode, you might be able to resolve it without rebooting. Global enables both GSM and CDMA, while LTE only enables CDMA. It might be stuck scanning for a GSM connection it will never find with a Sprint SIM installed.

-Mike

• Like 1

Watch out for that loose LTE!! ;)

FYI, whenever the N5 does not have a 1X connection, it sets the provider name to "Searching for Service", it might not actually be searching for anything. Putting the phone into LTE-only mode is the best example of that.

If you toggle between "Global" and "LTE" mode, you might be able to resolve it without rebooting. Global enables both GSM and CDMA, while LTE only enables CDMA. It might be stuck scanning for a GSM connection it will never find with a Sprint SIM installed.

-Mike

Trust me, I tried every trick in the book. The only thing that resolved the issue was setting to 1x only and rebooting. The final solution (flashing the old radio) is the only permanent fix I know of.

Does being on band 41 increase data usage? I was analyzing my data usage and noticed a drastic spike in data usage from 3 GB in May to 9 GB starting in June after the 4.4.3 update. I know having faster speeds mean more usage but i know I haven't been using my phone much differently since the update.

Does being on band 41 increase data usage? I was analyzing my data usage and noticed a drastic spike in data usage from 3 GB in May to 9 GB starting in June after the 4.4.3 update. I know having faster speeds mean more usage but i know I haven't been using my phone much differently since the update.

You probably don't even notice it but its the increased use I'm sure. One more link followed etc...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trust me, I tried every trick in the book. The only thing that resolved the issue was setting to 1x only and rebooting. The final solution (flashing the old radio) is the only permanent fix I know of.

I too can say this is the only permanent fix. Flash an old radio. I used the one from android 4.4.1. After a few days of using it, I switched back to the radio for android 4.4.4. No issues anymore but that's because I haven't been swapping between the Sprint and T-Mobile SIMs. I have had my phone set to Global and also to LTE. No problems anymore. I believe it's a bug in the radio firmware that causes the phone to try and connect back to GSM for voice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk