Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

With an 805 processor will the nexus successor even be available on Sprint?

No reason it wouldn't be.

Uh, no, there are plenty of reasons -- both technical and political -- why the Nexus 5 successor might not be available on Sprint.  That is why we have to wait and see...

AJ

But it would not be due to the 805 processor.

The Snapdragon 805 processor would not be a direct reason, but it could be an indirect factor.

AJ

How would it be an indirect factor?

It is just a standalone processor, so it has to be paired with a separate baseband.  Unlike integrated basebands, separate basebands come in 3GPP only and 3GPP/3GPP2 flavors (e.g. MDM9235 and MDM9635).

AJ

Uh, no, there are plenty of reasons -- both technical and political -- why the Nexus 5 successor might not be available on Sprint. That is why we have to wait and see...

AJ

Interesting point you mention.

Motorola and Sprint didn't mesh somewhere along the way with the Moto X. Wonder if they do the same with the Nexus? Is that what you're thinking?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

It is just a standalone processor, so it has to be paired with a separate baseband. Unlike integrated basebands, separate basebands come in 3GPP only and 3GPP/3GPP2 flavors (e.g. MDM9235 and MDM9635).

AJ

This is what came to mind when I saw the use of the 805 processor. So it easily could be not compatible with Sprint's network. Especially since Verizon normally doesn't carry Nexus products.

Interesting point you mention.

Motorola and Sprint didn't mesh somewhere along the way with the Moto X. Wonder if they do the same with the Nexus? Is that what you're thinking?

This is what came to mind when I saw the use of the 805 processor. So it easily could be not compatible with Sprint's network. Especially since Verizon normally doesn't carry Nexus products.

To say that "Motorola and Sprint didn't mesh somewhere along the way with the (2014) Moto X" is too strong a leap in inference.  The jury is still out on what will ultimately become of that FCC authorized variant.  But, yes, Motorola is a wild card in the Nexus handset game, since it replaces LG after the previous two iterations.

We can look, though, to LG for one or two precedents, since Sprint was left out of the Nexus 4 sweepstakes.  Maybe that was political -- because, at that time, Sprint did not want to set up a Nexus 4 white list for devices purchased from Google Play.

Or maybe it was technical.  The Nexus 4 used a Snapdragon S4 standalone processor (APQ8064) that was paired with a worldwide compatible 3GPP only baseband (MDM9615).  Right there, that precluded Sprint.

Or maybe it was a combination of both factors.  In 2012, a Sprint compatible Nexus 4 would have needed just band 25 -- no dual or tri band hurdles to clear.  Still, Google and LG may not have wanted the added complexity of the Nexus 4 as an SVLTE handset, which Sprint would have required -- before it transitioned to single RF path e/CSFB handsets a year later.

AJ

I am excited by the specs being rumored on the Nexus 6/X (i'd love a large Nexus), but I'm not thrilled by the idea that the phone would have the same camera as the Moto X (2014). The reviews of that phone say that the camera is hit or miss, and performs poorly in low light. I just might be going Note 4.

To say that "Motorola and Sprint didn't mesh somewhere along the way with the (2014) Moto X" is too strong a leap in inference.  The jury is still out on what will ultimately become of that FCC authorized variant.  But, yes, Motorola is a wild card in the Nexus handset game, since it replaces LG after the previous two iterations.

We can look, though, to LG for one or two precedents, since Sprint was left out of the Nexus 4 sweepstakes.  Maybe that was political -- because, at that time, Sprint did not want to set up a Nexus 4 white list for devices purchased from Google Play.

Or maybe it was technical.  The Nexus 4 used a Snapdragon S4 standalone processor (APQ8064) that was paired with a worldwide compatible 3GPP only baseband (MDM9615).  Right there, that precluded Sprint.

Or maybe it was a combination of both factors.  In 2012, a Sprint compatible Nexus 4 would have needed just band 25 -- no dual or tri band hurdles to clear.  Still, Google and LG may not have wanted the added complexity of the Nexus 4 as an SVLTE handset, which Sprint would have required -- before it transitioned to single RF path e/CSFB handsets a year later.

AJ

We also have to remember that there was a Verizon and Sprint variation of the Galaxy Nexus, which housed the TI OMAP 4460, and that seemed like a mess of things to manage due to the two different versions (CDMA version and GSM/UMTS version). That mess could have also contributed to Verizon and Sprint getting cut from the Nexus 4. I feel like for the Nexus 5, Sprint was lucky that Google and LG decided on the Snapdragon 800 so implementing a CDMA network on it would be much simpler, and I'm guessing Sprint was willing to get a non-Sprint-unique version of the phone in order to just have it on their lineup.

If the Nexus 6 did use the Snapdragon 805, Sprint would probably have to pull some strings to make Google create a CDMA specific handset similar to what happened with the Galaxy Nexus. However, I don't think we Sprint Nexus 5 users are that big of an audience in either group's (Sprint's and Google's) eyes, so I think if we don't get the Nexus 6, it'll probably be due to political reasons more than technical... though, I'm not an expert on what standalone modem chipsets could be used with the Snapdragon 805 to provide a CDMA+LTE based network.

Well, just decided to pick one of these up again. I had one initially when they rolled out last year, but my market wasn't ready for triband yet, so I returned it and got my note 3. Loved the other one, and finally decided to go back for now.

Just got one listed as "new, but out of the package" for $208 on eBay.

• Like 1

Well, just decided to pick one of these up again. I had one initially when they rolled out last year, but my market wasn't ready for triband yet, so I returned it and got my note 3. Loved the other one, and finally decided to go back for now.

This is my all-time favorite phone. It's rare that I'm not chomping at the bit to grab the latest-and-greatest as soon as I'm eligible for a discounted upgrade.. I've been eligible since June and have no interest in anything else out there right now. We'll see what the Nexus 6 brings to the table, but I'm good for now.

-Mike

• Like 5

This is my all-time favorite phone. It's rare that I'm not chomping at the bit to grab the latest-and-greatest as soon as I'm eligible for a discounted upgrade.. I've been eligible since June and have no interest in anything else out there right now. We'll see what the Nexus 6 brings to the table, but I'm good for now.

-Mike

Yeah, with all the Nexus X talk, I had an itch for the Nexus 5 again. I am a sucker for a good eBay auction, and at that price I couldn't pass it up. I'm going to play with it for a day or so before I decide to sell my Note 3. My upgrade is in May and I'll probably wait until then to see what the Spring releases are.

-Mike

This is how I felt.

And then I got the G3. 

But I'm back to using the N5, so I guess that says something... :P

At least until Ericsson is done screwing with the network around here.

• Like 1

Just curious what would make any of us N5 users upgrade? What are we Sprint network users waiting for on a device?

What should i be waiting for?

I totally love my nexus but I keep wondering what would make this experience better.

We also have to remember that there was a Verizon and Sprint variation of the Galaxy Nexus, which housed the TI OMAP 4460, and that seemed like a mess of things to manage due to the two different versions (CDMA version and GSM/UMTS version). That mess could have also contributed to Verizon and Sprint getting cut from the Nexus 4. I feel like for the Nexus 5, Sprint was lucky that Google and LG decided on the Snapdragon 800 so implementing a CDMA network on it would be much simpler, and I'm guessing Sprint was willing to get a non-Sprint-unique version of the phone in order to just have it on their lineup.

If the Nexus 6 did use the Snapdragon 805, Sprint would probably have to pull some strings to make Google create a CDMA specific handset similar to what happened with the Galaxy Nexus. However, I don't think we Sprint Nexus 5 users are that big of an audience in either group's (Sprint's and Google's) eyes, so I think if we don't get the Nexus 6, it'll probably be due to political reasons more than technical... though, I'm not an expert on what standalone modem chipsets could be used with the Snapdragon 805 to provide a CDMA+LTE based network.

I have owned a variety of phones over the years including WebOS, Android, iOS, Windows Mobile and Windows Phone. For me iOS, Vanilla android and WebOS have provided the best user experience.

With the possibility of the next Nexus phone not being Sprint compatible, I am quite disappointed. I have mostly enjoyed the Android experience. The best being that of Vanilla Android on the Nexus. Sense and Touchwiz haven proven themselves as unstable, likely due to the OEM modifications. IMO vanilla android has been very stable. Because of this (and other factors) I am hesitant to purchase another OEM-modified Android phone.

I know that no phone is perfect, but so far, phones that run an unmodified OS like the Nexus 5 or iPhone have been best at providing a functional/fluid user experience. So for me: if no new nexus on Sprint, then I might once again jump ship to iOS.

• Like 2

Just curious what would make any of us N5 users upgrade? What are we Sprint network users waiting for on a device?

I totally love my nexus but I keep wondering what would make this experience better.

I know I posted a few months ago something to the effect that the Nexus 5 will have by far the greatest longevity yet of any Sprint LTE handset.  Its tri band capability and RF prowess -- not to mention, price -- will keep it relevant for an unusually long time.  Screen, processor, and RAM will be surpassed, but those specs have since reached the point of diminishing returns, have entered the realm of "specsmanship."

I already have too many handsets, including a white Nexus 5.  Yet, I am still tempted to add a red Nexus 5 at some point.

AJ

• Like 6

What would make me upgrade;

- better battery life. I'm talking about at least a day and half of moderately heavy usage (ie at least double the current n5 or at a minimum, similar to note 2 battery life).

- better spark support, maybe it's just my market but my htc m8 functions much better/smoothly and is on LTE much more often than my nexus 5.

- probably not going to happen on another nexus, but removable battery and microsd are high level wishlist items

- water-proofing/resistance.

- stereo speakers would be great and/or louder more clear speaker phone

- I like the size, weight and feel of the nexus 5, so not really needing any changes there, although I do use a cheap soft polyurethane cover on my n5.

- I have no issues with the display quality or size of the n5 either

- I prefer plain android, but now that most newer phones can use the 'google experience' launcher, oem skins can be basically ignored.

I've been seriously considering a iphone 6+, mostly as a second phone.. but if a new nexus isn't sprint compatible, then I could see being a possible switch over, at least until I get sick of apple again.

I know I posted a few months ago something to the effect that the Nexus 5 will have by far the greatest longevity yet of any Sprint LTE handset. Its tri band capability and RF prowess -- not to mention, price -- will keep it relevant for an unusually long time. Screen, processor, and RAM will be surpassed, but those specs have since reached the point of diminishing returns, have entered the realm of "specsmanship."

I already have too many handsets, including a white Nexus 5. Yet, I am still tempted to add a red Nexus 5 at some point.

AJ

I agree. But pertaining to the network and the N5's RF performance, what would make you upgrade? What should we be we waiting for?

-Mike

Couldn't agree more.  Same situation, upgrade in June and I've been more than content with this phone.

I've never had an issue with the LTE scan time. Always seems to hop back on LTE pretty quick when it can. But I have seen other people complain that it doesn't. So not sure what to make of that.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Apps running in the background can severely hinder switching back to LTE, for example; even a faster scan time will not help a phone streaming audio on 3G to switch back to LTE any faster.