Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Will it fix the battery its horrible. Have to charge twice a day! Hope next nexus has a better battery

I'm definitely not having sure he battery issues I read some of you have seen. Sure when a Play Store or Play Services update appears those apps use more battery but I typically make it through a day (5 P.M.) with 70% light usage and 40% heavy usage.

I believe most battery issues are all the apps we insist on installing that want to check for updates every 5 minutes. While at work I am on Wifi and I have most background services set to not automatically push/pull or to only do that if on Wifi.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5 days!!!!! wth!! I would love one day!  I just did that by uninstall weather app im at 65 percent for 7 hrs.  Not bad use be at 30 percent so its getting better.  I dont use it much just text alot.

Like Fubie, I get through most days with 40-60% left when I go to bed. That's making several phone calls, many texts, some light web browsing, Tapatalk browsing, and some Sensorly mapping. 

You must have had a power hungry app on there. The battery really isn't that bad.

Do you have google location reporting on, or location history? I turned off location history and set location to use device only and I had a huge improvement in battery life.

[image]

That was roughly two hours of screen on time and two hours of voice calls. Lite usage considering it was close to a week but unless you are really hammering your phone you can make a nexus 5 last quite a long time.

Wow. I know about the "if you don't use it, then it obviously will last a long time" standard, but your battery life is definitely insane. I also turn off location history, but I just set location to Battery Saving instead of Device Only. My phone can last me a little over a day, and that's good enough for me since I don't mind charging it every day. As long as I don't have to charge it in the middle of the day, that's what would really bother me.

Wow. I know about the "if you don't use it, then it obviously will last a long time" standard, but your battery life is definitely insane. I also turn off location history, but I just set location to Battery Saving instead of Device Only. My phone can last me a little over a day, and that's good enough for me since I don't mind charging it every day. As long as I don't have to charge it in the middle of the day, that's what would really bother me.

I read through a thread on XDA about battery saving tips, I linked it earlier in this thread. The top tips were turning off location history and setting location to device only. It specifically mentioned that battery saving mode used more power than device only. I don't know why or how but it seems to be true. I don't know how it would be effected if you were constantly using GPS via navigation or something similar.

Besides location settings, the other obvious one was screen brightness and screen time out. I use automatic brightness as I hate straining to see my phone if I use it outside. The guide mentioned setting brightness to 20-30%.

Wake locks can make a huge impact. Before I found the thread I was having a few random wake locks wake up the phone thousands of times a day. I never did find the exact cause of them, but when I changed my location settings they went away. I think it was related to location and Google now. I do home delivery so it was constantly pinging my location for traffic updates and such.

Question about bringing my Nexus 5 to Ting.. I just switched my number to my new iPhone 6, but for site and network deployment purposes, the Nexus 5 is way more useful. Will it catch on to B26 and B41 on Ting? Do I need a new sim? Or should it swap seamlessly?

Sent from my iPhone 6 on the Now Network

Anyone think Google may actually bring out 2 new phones this year just Luke Apple? A 5" ish size one and a 6" phablet? I have seen 2 different case sizes on a couple Chinese sites that sell stuff.

Question about bringing my Nexus 5 to Ting.. I just switched my number to my new iPhone 6, but for site and network deployment purposes, the Nexus 5 is way more useful. Will it catch on to B26 and B41 on Ting? Do I need a new sim? Or should it swap seamlessly?

Your N5 will work fine on Ting and pickup all Sprint bands where and if they are available.

I don't think there are micro adapters for nano sims so you would need to get a micro sim from Ting. I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

Your N5 will work fine on Ting and pickup all Sprint bands where and if they are available.

I don't think there are micro adapters for nano sims so you would need to get a micro sim from Ting. I could be wrong though.

There are adapters, I have a kit I picked up off amazon for ~6 bucks. Just make sure to NOT leave the adapter in your phone without a Sim in it, or it will ruin the port. They get caught on the prongs and tend to either bend or rip them out when you're trying to remove them.
  • Like 1

There are adapters, I have a kit I picked up off amazon for ~6 bucks. Just make sure to NOT leave the adapter in your phone without a Sim in it, or it will ruin the port. They get caught on the prongs and tend to either bend or rip them out when you're trying to remove them.

Make sure you order the micro-SIM card and NOT the nano-SIM card - I ordered the nano-SIM in the hopes to upgrade later, but it did not work; the Ting tech said that nanos are for iPhones (at that time, which was 3 months ago-ish). She (very politely too, over a crying baby) ordered a micro-SIM for me, free of charge...in a few days, I got it, plugged in the micro-SIM in, and it worked.

But the above said adapter does work, e.g. with a nano-SIM T-Mobile card.

I have connected to all 3 Sprint LTE bands with my Ting SIM card in my Nexus 5.  CDMA roaming is hit or miss though.

• Like 1

Make sure you order the micro-SIM card and NOT the nano-SIM card - I ordered the nano-SIM in the hopes to upgrade later, but it did not work; the Ting tech said that nanos are for iPhones (at that time, which was 3 months ago-ish). She (very politely too, over a crying baby) ordered a micro-SIM for me, free of charge...in a few days, I got it, plugged in the micro-SIM in, and it worked.

But the above said adapter does work, e.g. with a nano-SIM T-Mobile card.

I got a pack that has adapters for all of them, so I'm covered. Good point though!

Any store reps here? 

My N5 was purchased at a Sprint store. NFC and wireless charging do not work. Do I warranty the device through the store or through LG? 

Since it's a hardware issue, will it matter if the "tamper" flag is set on the phone? I never rooted the phone, only manually flashed a radio and official software update. 

Any store reps here?

My N5 was purchased at a Sprint store. NFC and wireless charging do not work. Do I warranty the device through the store or through LG?

Since it's a hardware issue, will it matter if the "tamper" flag is set on the phone? I never rooted the phone, only manually flashed a radio and official software update.

I don't think it would really matter, but if you're concerned it can be reset fairly easily.

Link?

Sent from my Nexus 5

In the iPhone 6/6+ thread there are users who have both, and its actually about on par with the n5. ~2 dBm better on b41, and ~2dbm worse on b26 and about the same on b25.

Looks like the iPhone 6 has dethroned the Nexus 5 in the RF performance department.

Just in B41. N5 was only an above average B41 performer.

• Like 1

B26 is more important for me, B41 has been perfectly fine. 2dB is hardly anything to write home about, at that point the signal is likely going to be unusable anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I am one of those people with an iPhone 6 coming from a Nexus 5. The devices seem pretty similar in RF performance, but the iPhone blows it away when it comes to LTE scan time.

Very rare to go more than 20-30 seconds without LTE while entering a known LTE area. The device shunts me back to LTE most days before I even get to the ground floor while going up my buildings elevator from the parking lot in the basement.

Both are great devices. I am keeping my N5 for whenever I get that Android itch!

• Like 1

I am one of those people with an iPhone 6 coming from a Nexus 5. The devices seem pretty similar in RF performance, but the iPhone blows it away when it comes to LTE scan time.

Very rare to go more than 20-30 seconds without LTE while entering a known LTE area. The device shunts me back to LTE most days before I even get to the ground floor while going up my buildings elevator from the parking lot in the basement.

Both are great devices. I am keeping my N5 for whenever I get that Android itch!

I couldn't imagine going back to iOS. [emoji42]

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 3

Thanks I have seen a lot more sites saying its about 5-5.25”. I'm hopeful but thought the new sites saying its bigger where just trolling for clicks. Would you like a phablet size one too?

I have had the note 2, nexus 5 and iphone 5, and while I loved the note2, I think I actually prefer the n5 size/form factor.

That said, I would probably upgrade to the n6, assuming it supports sprint, has better battery time than n5, and better spark performance.

I've been sorely tempted by the iphone6+, not so much as a phone, but more as a tablet/ipad replacement (I don't own any ipads).

Then again, I already have n7, and I am looking forward to the supposed htc nexus 9 too.

• Like 1