Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Does being on band 41 increase data usage? I was analyzing my data usage and noticed a drastic spike in data usage from 3 GB in May to 9 GB starting in June after the 4.4.3 update. I know having faster speeds mean more usage but i know I haven't been using my phone much differently since the update.

No, just no. This is a common misconception with faster, modern-day connectivity. You receive your bits of data faster, but not more of them. If you load cnn.com 100 times on 3g, you'll use the same amount of data as loading it up through a gigabit fiber line.

No, just no. This is a common misconception with faster, modern-day connectivity. You receive your bits of data faster, but not more of them. If you load cnn.com 100 times on 3g, you'll use the same amount of data as loading it up through a gigabit fiber line.

While that is 100% true - I believe what people mean when they say you use more on a higher speed connection is that if I have equal time to browse the internet I can load 2x the pages (and hence 2x the data) on a 2x as fast connection in the same amount of time.

• Like 1

Will it fix the battery its horrible. Have to charge twice a day! Hope next nexus has a better battery

I'm definitely not having sure he battery issues I read some of you have seen. Sure when a Play Store or Play Services update appears those apps use more battery but I typically make it through a day (5 P.M.) with 70% light usage and 40% heavy usage.

I believe most battery issues are all the apps we insist on installing that want to check for updates every 5 minutes. While at work I am on Wifi and I have most background services set to not automatically push/pull or to only do that if on Wifi.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

While that is 100% true - I believe what people mean when they say you use more on a higher speed connection is that if I have equal time to browse the internet I can load 2x the pages (and hence 2x the data) on a 2x as fast connection in the same amount of time.

Do you suddenly have the need to click another web page or two when on a gigabit line?  When I am done reading...I am done reading / browsing.  Are you given more time to watch another netflix movie?  Web sites should behave the same when on a 30 MBit cable line or a gigabit line.

Do you suddenly have the need to click another web page or two when on a gigabit line? When I am done reading...I am done reading / browsing. Are you given more time to watch another netflix movie? Web sites should behave the same when on a 30 MBit cable line or a gigabit line.

on a gigabit line your more likely to watch 1080p or 2k/4k over standard def. and things like that

on a gigabit line your more likely to watch 1080p or 2k/4k over standard def. and things like that

Yes true, but actually I already do that now with 30 MBits. Web site browsing has little to do with being a benefit for a gigabit connection.

Yes true, but actually I already do that now with 30 MBits. Web site browsing has little to do with being a benefit for a gigabit connection.

yes but you will tend do do things like buy a digital app instead of buy the DVD and things like that in addition to web browsing.

I'm definitely not having sure he battery issues I read some of you have seen. Sure when a Play Store or Play Services update appears those apps use more battery but I typically make it through a day (5 P.M.) with 70% light usage and 40% heavy usage.

I believe most battery issues are all the apps we insist on installing that want to check for updates every 5 minutes. While at work I am on Wifi and I have most background services set to not automatically push/pull or to only do that if on Wifi.

Accuweather started acting up uninstalled it been 30 min on battery still 100!!! Use to be like 97%  Also disabled nfc and wifi on during sleep.  Then took off auto brightness.  Clear cache 

I just realized I can make calls on WiFi using my sprint number with hangouts dialer app. Sweet!

I want to make sure I understand your post... Don't you mean you can make WiFi (data calls) thru your Google Voice number with the hangouts dialer?  Whenever I make a call from the dialer and select data call it comes up as if I'm using an 800 number.

I do NOT have integration from Google Voice, maybe that is the problem?  I had many problems with that before, is that the issue?  If that is the case, I may be switching that out soon.  I much prefer data calls, for the obvious benefit of SVLTE.

Thanks.

I want to make sure I understand your post... Don't you mean you can make WiFi (data calls) thru your Google Voice number with the hangouts dialer?  Whenever I make a call from the dialer and select data call it comes up as if I'm using an 800 number.

I do NOT have integration from Google Voice, maybe that is the problem?  I had many problems with that before, is that the issue?  If that is the case, I may be switching that out soon.  I much prefer data calls, for the obvious benefit of SVLTE.

Thanks.

Yes, that's the issue. You have to be using GV for the call to come from your number.

• Like 1

Yes, that's the issue. You have to be using GV for the call to come from your number.

Thanks for the quick response.  I may have to try that then.  This will also enable the voicemails to show up in hangouts as well, right?  So, all I have to do is enable the GV integration correct?  May try that today and see how it works.

Thanks for the quick response.  I may have to try that then.  This will also enable the voicemails to show up in hangouts as well, right?  So, all I have to do is enable the GV integration correct?  May try that today and see how it works.

Not quite. Google currently says Sprint customers using GV "shouldn't turn on text messaging and voicemails in Hangouts. This will cause problems with your text messages." So while you want to integrate Sprint and GV, you don't want to merge GV and Hangouts. Does that make sense?

• Like 1

Not quite. Google currently says Sprint customers using GV "shouldn't turn on text messaging and voicemails in Hangouts. This will cause problems with your text messages." So while you want to integrate Sprint and GV, you don't want to merge GV and Hangouts. Does that make sense?

Hmmm I wonder if this is why my phone was sending the same text to people at least thirty times...

I have it changed now and you are right it does show up as my Sprint number when dialing from wifi / data.  This is HUGE in my opinion.

Thank you for the heads up, as soon as I opened up Hangouts it asked me if I wanted to merge over.  It is like you were reading my mind, :D!

Hmmm I wonder if this is why my phone was sending the same text to people at least thirty times...

Yup, we've been discussing it in the GV thread, but there's also a GV support forum page: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/voice/Sprint/voice/UeXGeI1lVeY/Q-Lzc-Ma0FcJ

Will it fix the battery its horrible. Have to charge twice a day! Hope next nexus has a better battery

Do you have google location reporting on, or location history? I turned off location history and set location to use device only and I had a huge improvement in battery life.

d565149a9ee9500fecbf7e8bee5a7689.jpg

That was roughly two hours of screen on time and two hours of voice calls. Lite usage considering it was close to a week but unless you are really hammering your phone you can make a nexus 5 last quite a long time.

• Like 1

Do you suddenly have the need to click another web page or two when on a gigabit line?  When I am done reading...I am done reading / browsing.  Are you given more time to watch another netflix movie?  Web sites should behave the same when on a 30 MBit cable line or a gigabit line.

I think it depends on the person using the phone. I personally have a lot of sites and articles I like to look at thanks to my many admittedly nerdy interests, and for example's sake, let's say I'm on a 3G connection. I will most likely skip anything that requires Youtube/videos or anything with a data heavy load like some sites with tons of images. Not only that, but with regards to the "suddenly [having] the need to click another webpage or two on a [faster internet connection]"... Well, yes, in a way, but it's more of a "I would have wanted to click that website, but my 3G connection is too slow, so I would rather click on it when I do have a faster connection" rather than a "Oh, I have a faster internet connection so now I want to click on this link that I never had interest in in the first place."

Let me use an another extreme unrealistic, but possible easy mathematical example of what AgathosAnthropos probably meant. Let's say you have no more than 30 minutes of free time. On a 3G connection it takes 10 minutes to load an article, and on LTE, it takes 5 minutes. It also takes 5 minutes to read 1 article. Let's say an article takes about 5 MB of data. So on a 3G connection, you use 10 mintues to load an article, another 5 to read it, and then 10 minutes to load a 2nd article, and then 5 minutes to read it again. That's 30 mintues for 10 MB of data, and now your free time is over. Now on an LTE connection, it takes 5 mintues to load the article, another 5 to read, and then another 5 to load a 2nd article, and then another 5 minutes to read, and now you have time to load and read a 3rd article that you would have wanted to look at, but ran out of time on a 3G connection. So now you're using 15 MB of data, and to the user, their "usage" didn't seem like it went up because they were using the phone for 30 minutes both of the time.

Obviously this is a different case from your "If I'm done reading, then I'm done reading" scenario since this means I was not done reading by the time my 30 minutes was up on a 3G connection, so I agree that your point is valid, but only if you're really done reading everything you wanted to. There are some people like me though, where there is always something to read, but I just don't have the time, or other higher priority tasks are waiting for me to do, so on an LTE connection, I would naturally be able to click on more of the links I wanted to click on in the first place since it shrinks the amount of time I'm waiting for something to happen.

• Like 1

Do you have google location reporting on, or location history? I turned off location history and set location to use device only and I had a huge improvement in battery life.

d565149a9ee9500fecbf7e8bee5a7689.jpg

That was roughly two hours of screen on time and two hours of voice calls. Lite usage considering it was close to a week but unless you are really hammering your phone you can make a nexus 5 last quite a long time.

5 days!!!!! wth!! I would love one day!  I just did that by uninstall weather app im at 65 percent for 7 hrs.  Not bad use be at 30 percent so its getting better.  I dont use it much just text alot.