Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Apps running in the background can severely hinder switching back to LTE, for example; even a faster scan time will not help a phone streaming audio on 3G to switch back to LTE any faster.

True. I always assume people know this. I should know better!

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

So I should get my N5 next week.

I live in Raleigh NC. We are an LTE market, but I don't know if we have band 41 or what. Should I just set it on Global? What about band priority?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

It should come on Global. Don't worry about band priority. Your phone will settle on the best network available.

Band 41 should be showing up soon! ;)

• Like 2

I have owned a variety of phones over the years including WebOS, Android, iOS, Windows Mobile and Windows Phone. For me iOS, Vanilla android and WebOS have provided the best user experience.

With the possibility of the next Nexus phone not being Sprint compatible, I am quite disappointed. I have mostly enjoyed the Android experience. The best being that of Vanilla Android on the Nexus. Sense and Touchwiz haven proven themselves as unstable, likely due to the OEM modifications. IMO vanilla android has been very stable. Because of this (and other factors) I am hesitant to purchase another OEM-modified Android phone.

I know that no phone is perfect, but so far, phones that run an unmodified OS like the Nexus 5 or iPhone have been best at providing a functional/fluid user experience. So for me: if no new nexus on Sprint, then I might once again jump ship to iOS.

Yeah, it is a bummer for anyone that loves the AOSP experience such as ourselves.

There are other options though, and while I also personally hate TouchWiz, I believe Sense and LG's UI have evolved significantly throughout the years, and they don't slow down the UI as much as TouchWiz anymore. My girlfriend has an LG G2 and I personally enjoy using her phone just as much as mine, and I wouldn't mind having an LG phone as a future phone. Another option, if you really like AOSP, is the Moto X. Unlike other OEMs, Motorola has been able to get updates relatively quickly. After reading reviews and watching videos of the original and 2nd gen Moto X, it seems like they have a bunch of features that is a "nice to have" instead of a "gotta have it", but it's all just building on top of AOSP instead of doing crazy modifications like Sense or TouchWiz. I personally would probably get a Moto X successor if Sprint is out of the Nexus program when the time comes for me to upgrade.

However, I will personally be staying on the Nexus 5 until it either dies on me, or a Moto X/Nexus like phone with Sprint's VoLTE is available. Since Nexus 5 is a very good Triband phone, I actually don't see a need for me to switch anytime soon, and until big features like Carrier Aggregation, which excites me but doesn't really convince me to get a new handset, or VoLTE becomes available, I don't see a need for me to upgrade. As VoLTE will finally be the big return of data and voice at the same time, that will definitely be a huge step forward in my opinion.

Just curious what would make any of us N5 users upgrade? What are we Sprint network users waiting for on a device?

What should i be waiting for?

I totally love my nexus but I keep wondering what would make this experience better.

Two things in my mind I'm looking for in the next Nexus worth upgrading for on Sprint.  Battery life or CCA/RRPP LTE band support.  Either of these would be enough for me.  Especially if the price stays around $350-$400.

If it was really large as some are now suggesting it may be, I may not want to upgrade.  I love 5" screens.  Nor if the cash price shoots way up.  More than a $50 increase and I'd probably not be interested in upgrading until the used market price fell.

• Like 2

So I should get my N5 next week.

I live in Raleigh NC. We are an LTE market, but I don't know if we have band 41 or what. Should I just set it on Global? What about band priority?

It should come on Global. Don't worry about band priority. Your phone will settle on the best network available.

Band 41 should be showing up soon! ;)

The configuration that works best for me. (Faster connection and reconnection to LTE) Is Band 25-1, Band 26-2, Band 41-3. The phone latches onto band 25 which is everywhere. Then the network will do the rest. Most of the time if in a Band 41 area it kicks me straight to Band 41 if not to Band 26.

Sent from my iPad mini

Updates come from Google so it doesn't matter as far as that. They just won't promote it anymore. New nexus cometh...

Yea, but I wonder about Sprint changes and fixes to radio firmware, if they're responsible for that.

Man I really hope sprint will support the next nexus. I would be so disappointed if they didn't. The nexus 5 has been my best android experience by far. This whole no moto x support scares me.

That's up in the air, hopefully. Although it's starting to look more and more that the next Nexus might be a 5.9" giant.

Did Sprint just EOL the Nexus? Has this already been discussed?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/26/sprint-sends-the-nexus-5-to-the-end-of-life-underworld-but-no-one-cares-because-nexus/

Does this have any practical impact on those who already own it?

That seems awfully fast to eol a phone.

Yea, but I wonder about Sprint changes and fixes to radio firmware, if they're responsible for that.

No, radio firmware is operator agnostic.

AJ

Did Sprint just EOL the Nexus? Has this already been discussed?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/26/sprint-sends-the-nexus-5-to-the-end-of-life-underworld-but-no-one-cares-because-nexus/

Does this have any practical impact on those who already own it?

found another page.

http://androidandme.com/2014/09/news/rip-sprint-nexus-5/

So what if I bought a nexus 5 through Sprint already? Will they not give be any support if something goes wrong with it?

EOL only means it is no longer for sale. It does not stop working, stop being covered by insurance, stop being covered by manufacturers warranty. All phones stop being sold at some point. This really is a non story.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

EOL only means it is no longer for sale. It does not stop working, stop being covered by insurance, stop being covered by manufacturers warranty. All phones stop being sold at some point. This really is a non story.

It just feels weirdly early. Not even a year...

It just feels weirdly early. Not even a year...

Ummm, unless its replacement is imminent.  We don't have the N4 to compare to, because Sprint never sold it.  However, it was about this time last year when Google started yanking the N4 for sale itself, if memory serves.

• Like 3

I just know that they are going to wait to announce the next nexus until *after* the iphone promo ends.

Bastages!

wikipedia says n5 was announced oct 31, but I vaguely remember it got pushed back because of the storms or something.

hopefully they announce early oct instead of late.

Edited by dedub

Ummm, unless its replacement is imminent. We don't have the N4 to compare to, because Sprint never sold it. However, it was about this time last year when Google started yanking the N4 for sale itself, if memory serves.

Every Nexus so far has been a one year device. I would guess that Google only had a certain amount made.

Ummm, unless its replacement is imminent.  We don't have the N4 to compare to, because Sprint never sold it.  However, it was about this time last year when Google started yanking the N4 for sale itself, if memory serves.

I seem to recall that the Nexus 4 was sold through the release of the Nexus 5 last year, but my memory may be faulty.  If so, my desire to get a red Nexus 5, too, may go unfulfilled.  Oh well.  But I do not buy dirty used phones -- I leave that to the poor iPhone congregation.

AJ

I guess I should note T-Mobile supposedly yanked their sales too and they will almost assuredly support the next Nexus, so we're probably reading to much into this.

I think it's important to realize that the N5 probably isn't getting "yanked" from anywhere.. they are just going out of stock and Google isn't manufacturing any more of them.

-Mike

• Like 3