Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

wikipedia says n5 was announced oct 31, but I vaguely remember it got pushed back because of the storms or something.

hopefully they announce early oct instead of late.

It was announced on Oct. 31. The whole Halloween theme with KitKat. Nothing got pushed back.

The N5 being yanked from Sprint stores is not a big deal.  Because it will still be sold by Google until it is yanked from their online store too.

• Like 1

Updates come from Google so it doesn't matter as far as that. They just won't promote it anymore. New nexus cometh...

Though I would say that this likely means that there is no way that the Nexus 5 will get in on Sprint's wifi calling capabilities.

The N5 being yanked from Sprint stores is not a big deal.  Because it will still be sold by Google until it is yanked from their online store too.

Maybe this is a routine occurrence, but as of today, Google Play is out of stock of two of three colors.  The end is nigh -- or it may already have happened.

AJ

• Like 1

I think Google will try to add wifi calling to aosp. And if that's the case it may bring some kind of wifi calling standard that all androids can live on. The same way the iPhone wifi calling is compatible with all carriers as long as they Enable it for their network we could get the same for Android.

• Like 1

It was announced on Oct. 31. The whole Halloween theme with KitKat. Nothing got pushed back.

No I meant (I thought) the announcement was expected to be earlier, but storms on the east coast or something I forget caused the google press gathering or whatever to be pushed back to oct 31.

I could be thinking of some other device though, maybe nexus 7 I dunno.

edit;

i guess I was thinking about this;

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2223405/smartphones/hurricane-sandy-crashes-google-s-party--but-not-its-nexus-announcement.html

Edited by dedub

No I meant (I thought) the announcement was expected to be earlier, but storms on the east coast or something I forget caused the google press gathering or whatever to be pushed back to oct 31.

I could be thinking of some other device though, maybe nexus 7 I dunno.

That was the Nexus 4 announcement from 2012.

What happened was Google was going to make a huge announcement in New York, but Hurricane Sandy basically stopped those plans. Well, what happened was that they had a quiet launch of the Nexus 4, literally just a press release at the end of October, and they still sold millions. I think after that, Google thought, "Huh, I guess we don't need a fancy event to sell millions."

One year later, the Nexus 5 is quietly announced through a Google blog post on Halloween. I don't know what the numbers are for the Nexus 5, but I'm sure there is a pretty sizable number considering the number of us here added with the rest of the Sprint Nexus 5 userbase added with the T-Mo and AT&T userbases, and the rest of the world.

Edit: Looks like you edited your post as I was writing mine. :)

Edited by metayoshi
  • Like 1

I'm very happy with my N5. So happy that I just gave me original to my youngest and bought another 32GB model.

That being said bigger is always better in my opinion so if/when the next Nexus comes out I'll dive in. My only concern is whether or not the next one will support Sprint, AT&T and Tmo on the same phone. I love the N5 for the carrier roaming I have done.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It is just a standalone processor, so it has to be paired with a separate baseband. Unlike integrated basebands, separate basebands come in 3GPP only and 3GPP/3GPP2 flavors (e.g. MDM9235 and MDM9635).

AJ

The new Note 4 uses the 805 and it's up for Sprint preorder. I guess it's just harder to do?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The new Note 4 uses the 805 and it's up for Sprint preorder. I guess it's just harder to do?

No, hold on, the Galaxy Note 4 is not very relevant.  And no one is intimating that pairing a standalone Snapdragon processor with a standalone baseband is "harder to do."  It has been done on many, many handsets, including the Galaxy S4 and HTC One M7.  

But pairing a processor with a separate baseband opens the opportunity to use a 3GPP only baseband.  And, to make the Galaxy Note 4 relevant, if you were to check the AT&T and T-Mobile variants, I bet you would find the 3GPP only MDM9235 baseband.  The Sprint variant gets the 3GPP/3GPP2 MDM9635 baseband purely for the reason that it is headed to Sprint.

AJ

• Like 1

I recently switched from t-mobile to sprint and I've noticed one issue that's been bothering me since. It seems that every time I'm on b41 while browsing the Internet my battery gets really warm. Something that I never noticed on t-mobile or while on Wifi. Ideas?

I recently switched from t-mobile to sprint and I've noticed one issue that's been bothering me since. It seems that every time I'm on b41 while browsing the Internet my battery gets really warm. Something that I never noticed on t-mobile or while on Wifi. Ideas?

What is your signal strength like (in dBm)?

Right now it fluctuates between - 100 and 88 dBm. But I've noticed regardless of signal strength it still occurs.

Well based on my few experiences with B41, I haven't noticed any heating that is out of the ordinary.  It could be due to other factors as well.

I think it's important to realize that the N5 probably isn't getting "yanked" from anywhere.. they are just going out of stock and Google isn't manufacturing any more of them.

-Mike

To second that all there nexus 7's are sold out. On Google play.  I doubt they will make more if new one will be announced soon.

• Like 2

lots of backfire about the size.  i am on the fence on whether or not to be excited.  it's definitely a give & take deal.  if it performs similar (or better) RF-wise compared to the N5 and is available on sprint, i am all over it...

https://plus.google.com/+BrandonPeters/posts/chK4Sy9Puq3

• Like 1

if that's the size, count me out. I'll stick with my N5

• Like 1

Such a shame. They should've kept it right around the iPhone 6 size....Seriously. Its a perfect size for I would guess around 90% of users. Not everyone wants a behemoth phone. 

• Like 2

I don't want a behemoth phone. I had the Note 2. Too big. The Nexus 5 size was perfect. Love it! How about the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 6 del Grande? I hear 6 Plus is already taken. :)

• Like 4