Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I ordered mine last night and it shipped today.....imagine that. I ordered the 32g white which was supposed to be back ordered for 2 weeks. I ordered my UCC simm from the international chat, and it was back ordered soooooI may have to get one from the Corporate store

You can see mine above and my Note 2 & S4 get ~104-105

If you are getting -84dbm when the note 2 is pulling -105dbm, then Sprint doesn't need 800mhz LTE in the slightest. Something is definitely wrong with those numbers.

The EVO LTE was a very poor RF performer, the Nexus 5 is a very strong RF performer, 20dBm doesn't shock me at all.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I'm no expert at all but those numbers are way off. A -20 dBm difference is impossible unless he's on a different band or signal check is showing the 1xrtt strength in the LTE field.
  • Like 1

I ordered mine last night and it shipped today.....imagine that. I ordered the 32g white which was supposed to be back ordered for 2 weeks. I ordered my UCC simm from the international chat, and it was back ordered soooooI may have to get one from the Corporate store

Yeah, Google is shipping extremely fast.  My ship by 11/15 32g black arrived yesterday early afternoon.  Of course, the "overnight  for free because it took Sprint so long to figure out how to order SIM card" order that was placed yesterday looks like it might not arrive until Monday.  *sigh*

Just a quick tip, when talking about differences between two signals already expressed in dBm, drop the negative sign and the "m" (milliwatt reference).  If one signal is -104 dBm and the other is -84 dBm, the difference between the two is 20 dB.  And that is a 100:1 ratio, by the way.

AJ

• Like 8

So far after enabling Band 41 I haven't had issues with the device connecting back and forth to Band 25 and eHRPD. I didn't enable Band 26.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So you can manually enable B41 and can confirm that you can receive B41 LTE at known B41 LTE tower?

So you can manually enable B41 and can confirm that you can receive B41 LTE at known B41 LTE tower?

I can't confirm that it will pick up B41 just yet because I don't work for another 2 days. We have B41 there as is confirmed by the Zing hotspot we use as WiFi.

What I can confirm at the moment is that enabling B41 on the device isn't having an adverse effect on how this device switches between B25 and eHRPD or 1XRTT

I will keep you guys posted with engineering screens once/if I knowingly connect to B41 LTE

• Like 1

Guys, as much as I would like to enable B41, I am afraid of potential issues cropping up like on the LG G2 , can anyone confirm that the APN settings are in place?

Also, again, I cannot stress enough how much better! the signal is vs my HTC One. Another thing, noticed the handset gets warm after extended periods on a phone call.

Guys, as much as I would like to enable B41, I am afraid of potential issues cropping up like on the LG G2 , can anyone confirm that the APN settings are in place?

Also, again, I cannot stress enough how much better! the signal is vs my HTC One. Another thing, noticed the handset gets warm after extended periods on a phone call.

Pardon my ignorance, how can I check for what you're looking for on the Nexus 5?

My N5 is up and running, getting good LTE service and I can make and receive calls just fine.  The only trouble I'm having right now is sending SMS via Hangout.  I receive them, but they won't send.  I'm making do using the Google Voice app for now.  Any ideas?

my complaint is with the camera.  coming from the S3, i was given a choice for a "widescreen" option in settings.  in the N5, i don't have this option.  all my pics now don't fill up the phone screen or computer monitor.  is there way to enable widescreen pics!?!?

My N5 is up and running, getting good LTE service and I can make and receive calls just fine. The only trouble I'm having right now is sending SMS via Hangout. I receive them, but they won't send. I'm making do using the Google Voice app for now. Any ideas?

Settings>More>Mobile Networks>Carrier Settings>Update Profile and PRL

If that doesn't solve the problem it might have something to do with Hangouts or Google Voice integration having a conflict. Perhaps a reboot or SCRTN would help.

Settings>More>Mobile Networks>Carrier Settings>Update Profile and PRL If that doesn't solve the problem it might have something to do with Hangouts or Google Voice integration having a conflict. Perhaps a reboot or SCRTN would help. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah I tried that but I'm thinking that it must be related to the Google Voice Sprintegration.  What's a SCRTN and how do I do it?

Yeah I tried that but I'm thinking that it must be related to the Google Voice Sprintegration.  What's a SCRTN and how do I do it?

Try going into the google voice app and change the setting for text from google voice to messaging app.  This is what I had to do on my GNEX to get it to work in hangouts.  I also do have the google voice/sprint integration.

Yeah I tried that but I'm thinking that it must be related to the Google Voice Sprintegration. What's a SCRTN and how do I do it?

SCRTNs are performed on Nexus devices by entering " *#*#72786#*#* " in the dialer.

That is usually reserved for troubleshooting network related issues. It basically forces your phone to forget your phone number and activation profile, thus causing your phone to reactivate.

If your problem is indeed Google Voice integration related, an SCRTN is unlikely going to solve it.

my complaint is with the camera.  coming from the S3, i was given a choice for a "widescreen" option in settings.  in the N5, i don't have this option.  all my pics now don't fill up the phone screen or computer monitor.  is there way to enable widescreen pics!?!?

How does it compare to the S3.

Ok after 2 full days of use, my personal take away. 

1. Signal strength is monumentally better than my HTC ONE.

2. Call quality and connection is quite amazing, and the other side says I sound PERFECT!

3. I connect to 1x800 and LTE without issues and stay connected! also my speeds are generally 20-30% faster on average vs my HTC One.

4. Phone feels really nice in the hand, the fact that it has the power button on the side vs the HTC, that had it on top is sooo much more comfortable.

5. Battery life was okish for the first day, (im guessing all the syncing and software updating etc..hurt the battery a bit, and my inability to put it down..) But second day was very very good. Got about 11 hrs of pretty abusive use (vs my HTC One would get me about 8)

6. Screen is really nice, color tones are slightly muted but not too washed out, black levels are meh! compared to my HTC One which were GREAT! 

7. Speaker is quite crappy and mono, compared to my HTC One definitely  two steps down. 

So in the end, I am one happy camper, time to start rooting and doing the fun stuff!

I really agree with you on Number 7.  For my usage, I find that the speaker is the worst thing about the phone.  In quality of sound, the fact it's mono sound and that the volume doesn't go high enough.  It's definitely tolerable.  But it's the worst feature of the things that matter to me.

Robert

• Like 3

I really agree with you on Number 7. For my usage, I find that the speaker is the worst thing about the phone. In quality of sound, the fact it's mono sound and that the volume doesn't go high enough. It's definitely tolerable. But it's the worst feature of the things that matter to me.

Robert

I agree with you on the volume side of things. I do, however, find the audio quality to be quite nice!

Audio is punchier than the Note 3 and Nexus 4. Not overly bright and doesn't sound tinny.

It's just a little more quiet than I would want.

Overall I am very satisfied with this device, and for the price I can not argue the immense amount of value it brings.

• Like 2