Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Whoa, sorry, for those monster screen shots. Anyway to reduce them on the phone?

My 1x signal is definitely weaker than my Photon Q was in the same area, but again, I don't think I'm connected to 1x800 anymore.

I've started using an app called Photo Editor by dev.macgyver.  It's resize and crop feature works well.

Robert

• Like 2

I really agree with you on Number 7.  For my usage, I find that the speaker is the worst thing about the phone.  In quality of sound, the fact it's mono sound and that the volume doesn't go high enough.  It's definitely tolerable.  But it's the worst feature of the things that matter to me.

Robert

How is the speaker compared to other devices with one speaker. I can't help but feel the one has an advantage on all phones until dual is more commonly used if any.

I ordered a 32 black and Google play is telling me to wait the 2-3 weeks lol. I am sure by the time I get my nexus up and running all the issues will be resolved with an update.

Well just received my sim cards. 1 of them was supposed to go in my wife's Torque, one for my N5 and one extra for those folks that may not be able to get one. As it turns out Sprint will not allow the Worldwide UICC(sim) on the Torque and i must get the domestic sim for it. So....I will have 2 extra 3ff worldwide(N5 compatible) UICC sim cards so. If someone needs one let me know.

• Like 4

my complaint is with the camera.  coming from the S3, i was given a choice for a "widescreen" option in settings.  in the N5, i don't have this option.  all my pics now don't fill up the phone screen or computer monitor.  is there way to enable widescreen pics!?!?

I like the camera a lot.  But I don't really take widescreen pics.  I like the HDR+.  I like the camera better than my Note 2.  And I was afraid it might be a downgrade based on those silly tech site reviews.

Robert

• Like 3

Overall I am very satisfied with this device, and for the price I can not argue the immense amount of value it brings.

I agree about value.  No doubt.  And for the price point, no one can touch this thing at all!!!  :tu:

Robert

• Like 3

How is the speaker compared to other devices with one speaker. I can't help but feel the one has an advantage on all phones until dual is more commonly used if any.

I ordered a 32 black and Google play is telling me to wait the 2-3 weeks lol. I am sure by the time I get my nexus up and running all the issues will be resolved with an update.

I feel the quality is on par with the GS3 and GN2.  However, the maximum sound volume needs to be higher!

Robert

• Like 2

I like the camera a lot.  But I don't really take widescreen pics.  I like the HDR+.  I like the camera better than my Note 2.  And I was afraid it might be a downgrade based on those silly tech site reviews.

Robert

I agree, the camera is very nice so far, Low light shots are generally good with alot less noise compared to my HTC One, which tended to be abit overzealous in the processing department. But also, the lens is NOT as wide as the One, so thats that..gotta move back another couple feet to get the same shot.

• Like 1

Ok i can confirm that setting the phobe to LTE only forces it to connect to lte. So whew, not a hardware issue. Signal is great too!

Sending this now from the car via lte! Droce out to a known lte area.

Now just to figure out how to get it to hand off and connect automatically!

• Like 1

SCRTNs are performed on Nexus devices by entering " *#*#72786#*#* " in the dialer. That is usually reserved for troubleshooting network related issues. It basically forces your phone to forget your phone number and activation profile, thus causing your phone to reactivate. If your problem is indeed Google Voice integration related, an SCRTN is unlikely going to solve it. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Try going into the google voice app and change the setting for text from google voice to messaging app.  This is what I had to do on my GNEX to get it to work in hangouts.  I also do have the google voice/sprint integration.

Tried both of these with no luck.  I'll try to fiddle with GV some more.

Just got mine. Activated no problem, LTE works and is better than my S4 which was better than my HTC One. Not by 20 dB, but by 5-10 (depending on the day and which device). It seems to pull data faster at the same signal levels as well.

I used Titanium Backup and have my apps installed and restored again. One important thing to note about TiBu is that if you change your runtime to ART it will crash on start. I don't know about other apps, but it definitely affected TiBu until I changed it back to Dalvik.

• Like 1

Just got mine. Activated no problem, LTE works and is better than my S4 which was better than my HTC One. Not by 20 dB, but by 5-10 (depending on the day and which device). It seems to pull data faster at the same signal levels as well.

I used Titanium Backup and have my apps installed and restored again. One important thing to note about TiBu is that if you change your runtime to ART it will crash on start. I don't know about other apps, but it definitely affected TiBu until I changed it back to Dalvik.

Did you update to 4.3 on the S4? It has seemed to help my phones handoffs and holding signal. But good to hear that the N5 is doing well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

My Nexus 4 had awful battery life.  The Nexus 5 appears way better.  However, I'm sure it will not be on par with 3,000mah battery devices.

Robert

Ive been reading this a bunch.

I wonder how much of the problem is that the Nexus battery was always poor vs the Nexus battery sucks because it's getting old and dying.

....which is why I am strongly against phones that dont let the user replace the battery.

Guys, as much as I would like to enable B41, I am afraid of potential issues cropping up like on the LG G2 , can anyone confirm that the APN settings are in place?

Also, again, I cannot stress enough how much better! the signal is vs my HTC One. Another thing, noticed the handset gets warm after extended periods on a phone call.

The G2 != Nexus 5.  The G2 seems to have known APN setting issues with LTE even when folks didn't unlock the B26 and B41 ever and were having B25 LTE issues.  Therefore enabling B26 and B41 for these folks has no relevance.  I have a strong feeling that on launch day (Nov 8) or very shortly after, Sprint is going to push an OTA fix to update the LG G2 with updated APN settings to fix B25 LTE connectivity.

However the Nexus 5 seems to be a different animal where B25 LTE has been working great and some folks have already confirmed that enabling other LTE bands like B26 and/or B41 has no effect on B25 LTE connectivity.  I mean its really up to you but I am just laying out the facts that you had thought of the LG G2.

Ive been reading this a bunch.

I wonder how much of the problem is that the Nexus battery was always poor vs the Nexus battery sucks because it's getting old and dying.

....which is why I am strongly against phones that dont let the user replace the battery.

I think it stayed pretty consistent the entire time I had it.  My first comments about the Nexus 4 was about battery life being poor.

Robert

LTE reception issue.

So I've been getting a strong LTE signal in area's that were previously strong, in fact stronger then my evo 4g lte. But the areas that had a weak signal before (although maintained lte) no longer work. So it's a drop from 1.5-2mb in LTE down to 200kb in 3g. If i select lte only, i get a better signal then on the evo, but no voice calls so can't really stay in that state.

I'd like to try a different band but not sure how to get a MSL code. None of the apps in app store seem to be working.

It's frustrating that they just set the LTE threshold way too high.

Well I got notification that my sprint upgrade Nexus 5 was shipping today, overnight for tomorrow evening hopefully.

Not excited reading alot of the LTE/voice hand-off issues, hopefully they'll be fixed with an update soon.

I echo the sentiments of others that we could use several N5 threads, specifically for some of the issues so they can be laid out and answered without sorting through 50 pages of varying topics.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2