Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

LTE reception issue.

So I've been getting a strong LTE signal in area's that were previously strong, in fact stronger then my evo 4g lte. But the areas that had a weak signal before (although maintained lte) no longer work. So it's a drop from 1.5-2mb in LTE down to 200kb in 3g. If i select lte only, i get a better signal then on the evo, but no voice calls so can't really stay in that state.

I'd like to try a different band but not sure how to get a MSL code. None of the apps in app store seem to be working.

It's frustrating that they just set the LTE threshold way too high.

Contact Sprint and just ask them for it.  Why are people so afraid to ask?

• Like 1

Well I got notification that my sprint upgrade Nexus 5 was shipping today, overnight for tomorrow evening hopefully.

Not excited reading alot of the LTE/voice hand-off issues, hopefully they'll be fixed with an update soon.

I echo the sentiments of others that we could use several N5 threads, specifically for some of the issues so they can be laid out and answered without sorting through 50 pages of varying topics.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I agree its hard to follow...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I live in Milwaukee (no 800) and can't get it to connect to LTE unless I put "LTE only" in the *#*#4636#*#* screen. This causes problems when roaming between LTE and 3G towers.

There's like 3 different places where you can change LTE settings.

1) Under mobile networks in the settings

2) Dialer code *#*#4636#*#*

3) Dialer code *#*#3282#*#*

So 3G and LTE work for me, but I don't know the ideal settings. What are you guys changing to get LTE to work normally in non-800 markets?

Well I got notification that my sprint upgrade Nexus 5 was shipping today, overnight for tomorrow evening hopefully.

Not excited reading alot of the LTE/voice hand-off issues, hopefully they'll be fixed with an update soon.

I echo the sentiments of others that we could use several N5 threads, specifically for some of the issues so they can be laid out and answered without sorting through 50 pages of varying topics.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Wait.. .Sprint preorders are shipping? :o :o

No notification here :((

I think it stayed pretty consistent the entire time I had it.  My first comments about the Nexus 4 was about battery life being poor.

Robert

Did you ever update to 4.3?  That was a big battery life improvement for me.  I used the hybrid AWS LTE radio on 4.3.

LTE reception issue.

So I've been getting a strong LTE signal in area's that were previously strong, in fact stronger then my evo 4g lte. But the areas that had a weak signal before (although maintained lte) no longer work. So it's a drop from 1.5-2mb in LTE down to 200kb in 3g. If i select lte only, i get a better signal then on the evo, but no voice calls so can't really stay in that state.

I'd like to try a different band but not sure how to get a MSL code. None of the apps in app store seem to be working.

It's frustrating that they just set the LTE threshold way too high.

Trying different bands will only help if you happen to be around one of the few places that has band 41 up and running.

Did you ever update to 4.3?  That was a big battery life improvement for me.  I used the hybrid AWS LTE radio on 4.3.

Nope.  I never accepted one update on my Nexus 4.  Never wanted to lose LTE capability.  I know that I could flash a new radio, based on your communiques to me in the past.  But I've not had time.  So I've just kept it stock all this time.  I only used my N4 for Tmo network testing and as a backup hotspot in good Tmo LTE areas.  Battery life being poor did not impact me much.  It just was annoying.

Robert

• Like 2

Nope.  I never accepted one update on my Nexus 4.  Never wanted to lose LTE capability.  I know that I could flash a new radio, based on your communiques to me in the past.  But I've not had time.  So I've just kept it stock all this time.  I only used my N4 for Tmo network testing and as a backup hotspot in good Tmo LTE areas.  Battery life being poor did not impact me much.  It just was annoying.

Robert

Ah, gotcha.

Just a heads up on the hotspot feature - it's just a function of T-Mobile snooping your web browser user agent - you can just use an add-on to switch it to something else that doesn't flag t-mobile's system.

What's interesting is that on Sprint, the built-in hotspot feature doesn't seem to work at all.  Not sure how they did that.

• Like 1

Hi, I ordered a new Nexus 5 with new service through sprint.com on Sunday, November 3rd.

The website said they will do their best to have it delivered by Friday November 8th, the launch date btw.

So I am curious if anyone has received their's yet ?

If so how long did it take ?

Shipping carrier ?

If NOT do you have a tracking number yet ?

When you do get yours please comment here to update myself and others.

I am getting pretty anxious to play with this screaming little beauty !

I got on chat today with a sprint rep, and they said it could ship without a tracking number and should be here on Friday or earlier.

Hard to believe with all the hoopla over this phone lol.

Thanks

post-27857-0-50228600-1383782567_thumb.jpg

Edited by cosplaygirrrl

Hi, I ordered a new Nexus 5 with new service through sprint.com on Sunday, November 3rd.

The website said they will do their best to have it delivered by Friday November 8th, the launch date btw.

So I am curious if anyone has received their's yet ?

If so how long did it take ?

Shipping carrier ?

If NOT do you have a tracking number yet ?

When you do get yours please comment here to update myself and others.

I am getting pretty anxious to play with this screaming little beauty !

I got on chat today with a sprint rep, and they said it could ship without a tracking number and should be here on Friday or earlier.

Hard to believe with all the hoopla over this phone lol.

Thanks

See above posts. 

• Like 2

Ah, gotcha.

Just a heads up on the hotspot feature - it's just a function of T-Mobile snooping your web browser user agent - you can just use an add-on to switch it to something else that doesn't flag t-mobile's system.

What's interesting is that on Sprint, the built-in hotspot feature doesn't seem to work at all.  Not sure how they did that.

I let my Tmo service lapse this month.  I don't even know when the next time I will travel into Tmo service.  No Tmo service here in South Dakota.  And with Sprint, VZW and AT&T service, it seemed like a waste now.  I will miss my little magenta SIM buddy, though.

Robert

:cry:

That image brings back bad memories. I checked that page 3 times a day for 5 weeks, waiting for my girlfriend's iPhone 5s to show a tracking number. Hang in there. When it appears, it's a glorious feeling.

• Like 1

Just got my Sprint pre-order shipping notification for one of the two I ordered. They're going out!

Pre-ordered 3 minutes after the pre-order site went live, although they screwed up my order twice for the next day, so not sure when the final pre-orders went through.

Edit: My UPS tracking says its going out via UPS Ground with no estimated delivery date, so who knows when it will arrive...

Edit 2: Although UPS says Ground, the Sprint E-mail says "Overnight: Next Day PM." Hoping that's the case. Still haven't gotten notification on the 2nd of my pre-orders.

Edit 3: UPS now says it will arrive by 11/8.

• Like 4

Can we discuss this?

I've been trying the past several hours to get LTE working... tried almost every combination of band priorities and CDMA/LTE preferences in the phone.

Maybe it has something to do with a messed up APN? Don't see much about Sprint in that menu option...

So I had a full day to use my new nexus 5 and I am loving it so far.  Using this and my One side by side, I would say that battery life is about the same on both devices.  This device is so snappy its unreal but honestly when I go back to the One it feels just as snappy to me so maybe all this talk about high end specs can finally be put to rest.  

As far as camera, honestly I think the One owns the nexus 5 in every conceivable category, in my opinion its not even close.  I probably took 200 pics/videos today using both devices and to me the One just beats it.  Speakers are great for what they are but this is something else that the One is far better at as well.  I also think that the One still has the best screen thats out right now.  

As for 4.4 kitkat, I love the google integration, it makes everything so simple and easy to use and easy to get to but what most important to me though is rf performance.  Now when it comes to 1x/3g/lte it straight up kills my One.  The rf differences between both devices on 1x/3g aren't that significant to complain about but the difference between lte is ridiculous.  My nexus was easily averaging 10 to 15dbm's better than my One in every situation I could put both devices in, it was shocking to see in all honesty and to be quite frank I am totally impressed.  The rf performance alone is worth the $350 price tag.  

• Like 5

I thought this was interesting regarding lack of LTE signal.   22. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
46.png?a=-1 statusicon-110.gif
BRI5549 Nov 6, 2013 6:05 PM (in response to Jonathan_Santana)

I am having the same issue as well with 32GB.I did however travel to Jefferson City,MO (recently added LTE)today for work and had an excellent LTE signal the whole time I was there. Internet Frog showed a download speed of 28.35 Mbps. Whenever I left, and the 3 hour drive home I had 3g, as I currently have now. So besides knowing the phone has potential for an extended period of LTE service, I'm not sure what it means. Trust me 28.35 was pretty nice compared to what I have now

I've been trying the past several hours to get LTE working... tried almost every combination of band priorities and CDMA/LTE preferences in the phone.

Maybe it has something to do with a messed up APN? Don't see much about Sprint in that menu option...

Called Sprint got my MSL. Tried disabling LTE in the LTE Engineering screen, then re-enabling hoping it would activate LTE, no dice. 

Not sure what to do until someone figures this out. Switching to LTE Only mode works and signal reception is GREAT. But it has not switched over to LTE on its own even ONE TIME in two days. 

Could it be a regional issue like someone previously theorized? Can we make a thread with several polls for those with issues to see if we can find a trend?

I cannot write a lengthy tutorial, as I am predisposed. But for those having connectivity issues in mature LTE markets, I recommend LTE, CDMA mode instead of LTE Only. You get most of the same benefits without the drawbacks.

AJ

• Like 2

I'm more concerned why its only connected to LTE and no voice connection. When I'm connected to eHRPD I also have a voice connection, doesn't seem to be the same when connected to LTE.