Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

No service.

Should we start a separate thread for LTE issues only? I have tried everything including swapping sims and flashing the two older modem files posted at xda. The threads at sprint have gone quiet which isn't a good sign. It has to either be regional or a hardware problem at this point.

Interesting, so you and I are getting two different results, both of which aren't good lol

Edited by Shiki8

No service.

Should we start a separate thread for LTE issues only? I have tried everything including swapping sims and flashing the two older modem files posted at xda. The threads at sprint have gone quiet which isn't a good sign. It has to either be regional or a hardware problem at this point.

Also no service, but not sure if I'm in an LTE zone currently, right on the edge, I can test this later.

On to the regional theory, is everyone with issues in an A-L zone? or are some in Samsung/Ericson?

Mine should be coming from Sprint in the next couple days. And I'll give mine until the return period, but if it still has radio or LTE issues, it will be going back.

Please PM me or report here what you get, since we are both in Raleigh. That will let us know whether some of the first batch had hardware issues, or if it is having trouble connecting in certain areas.

No service.

Should we start a separate thread for LTE issues only?

No, for now, keep all user discussion in this thread.  Let staff decide whether an issue thread is warranted.  Then, if so, we can move selected posts from this thread to other thread.

Thanks...

AJ

No service.

To the contrary. A quiet thread is usually a sign of less problems/bugs.

Less people are reporting back to complain. I noticed that after years of flashing custom ROM's.

LTE is working, both visually and functionally, but it says"searching for service" when I do the two finger pull down. Also worth noting, would be everything is disconnected in signal check, but again my data is indeed working with LTE.

Edit - Obviously this is after doing what you suggested.

Edit 2 - Turning back to LTE/CDMA auto, requires a reboot or turn off/turn on of the radio to get voice back and LTE is gone after doing so lol

What happens when you update profile on LTE only mode?

No service.

Did you verify your ICCID?  Have you tried another SIM?

For the record, I mean UICC when I say "SIM" (looks at AJ).

What happens when you update profile on LTE only mode?

Same thing. LTE stays intact, but not voice before and after. When I'm on LTE only, "Network Mode" shows as nothing, before and after doing a profile update. I've tried Global and LTE, but it would seem the only way for me to get LTE is force it LTE, in which case I get no voice  :P

Ok after 2 full days of use, my personal take away. 

1. Signal strength is monumentally better than my HTC ONE.

2. Call quality and connection is quite amazing, and the other side says I sound PERFECT!

3. I connect to 1x800 and LTE without issues and stay connected! also my speeds are generally 20-30% faster on average vs my HTC One.

4. Phone feels really nice in the hand, the fact that it has the power button on the side vs the HTC, that had it on top is sooo much more comfortable.

5. Battery life was okish for the first day, (im guessing all the syncing and software updating etc..hurt the battery a bit, and my inability to put it down..) But second day was very very good. Got about 11 hrs of pretty abusive use (vs my HTC One would get me about 8)

6. Screen is really nice, color tones are slightly muted but not too washed out, black levels are meh! compared to my HTC One which were GREAT! 

7. Speaker is quite crappy and mono, compared to my HTC One definitely  two steps down. 

So in the end, I am one happy camper, time to start rooting and doing the fun stuff!

Edited by nexgencpu
  • Like 4

Same thing. LTE stays intact, but not voice before and after. When I'm on LTE only, "Network Mode" shows as nothing, before and after doing a profile update. I've tried Global and LTE, but it would seem the only way for me to get LTE is force it LTE, in which case I get no voice  :P

Interesting.  Can you activate your old phone and reactivate the nexus 5?  That's what I would try next, try to update profile after that.

I encountered a weird bug last night where all sound and microphones seemed to stop working.  I was just testing things out and had my wife call me and the phone didn't ring, though the screen came on.  I answered the call, and she could not hear me and I could not hear her.

I played a youtube video and still no sound.  Touch tones on the dialer were silent as well.  Checked volume settings and everything appeared normal.   Rebooted and the sound came back. 

2. Call quality and connection is quite amazing, and the other side says I sound PERFECT!

3. I connect to 1x800 and LTE without issues and stay connected! also my speeds are generally 20-30% faster on average vs my HTC One.

4. Phone feels really nice in the hand, the fact that it has the power button on the side vs the HTC, that had it on top is sooo much more comfortable.

5. Battery life was okish for the first day, (im guessing all the syncing and software updating etc..hurt the battery a bit, and my inability to put it down..) But second day was very very good. Got about 11 hrs of pretty abusive use (vs my HTC One would get me about 8)

6. Screen is really nice, color tones are slightly muted but not too washed out, black levels are meh! compared to my HTC One which were GREAT! 

7. Speaker is quite crappy and mono, compared to my HTC One definitely  two steps down. 

So in the end, I am one happy camper, time to start rooting and doing the fun stuff!

I can't get over how great this phone is in terms of LTE reception and performance.  It's just insane.  I would say -20dBm improvement in LTE signal... which sounds too good to be true...

• Like 2

I can't get over how great this phone is in terms of LTE reception and performance.  It's just insane.  I would say -20dBm improvement in LTE signal... which sounds too good to be true...

Yea it is bonkers how good it is, I never thought for a moment that my HTC radio could have been atributing to my low signal strength to that degree! and -20dBm is not over estimating at all!!

Is a possibility that you are picking up LTE on another band I guess

Yea it is bonkers how good it is, I never thought for a moment that my HTC radio could have been atributing to my low signal strength to that degree! and -20dBm is not over estimating at all!!

HTC is kinda known to have less than optimal radios.

Evo 3D was attrocious

I encountered a weird bug last night where all sound and microphones seemed to stop working.  I was just testing things out and had my wife call me and the phone didn't ring, though the screen came on.  I answered the call, and she could not hear me and I could not hear her.

I played a youtube video and still no sound.  Touch tones on the dialer were silent as well.  Checked volume settings and everything appeared normal.   Rebooted and the sound came back. 

Could be a bad app.  Remember this is a brand new version of Android and not all apps are updated yet so bad apps can cause some of these wierd issues until they are updated.  If it happens again you might want to look at the apps you have running and may have used before the issue started to troubleshoot.

I also came from an HTC ONE, The only thing I missed initially was the boomsound. However, I didnt like the thick bezels so I'm perfectly happy with my nexus. 

Interesting.  Can you activate your old phone and reactivate the nexus 5?  That's what I would try next, try to update profile after that.

Just did this and exact same end result. They're also trying to tell me that there's no LTE in my area, but it works on my other devices (Note 2/S4), plus it works with LTE only, despite showing "searching for service".

f8kw.png

Just did this and exact same end result. They're also trying to tell me that there's no LTE in my area, but it works on my other devices (Note 2/S4), plus it works with LTE only, despite showing "searching for service".

Yeah, sprint customer care isn't going to help.

I had a similar issue at first but quickly got it resolved once I got a few sucessful "update profiles" and a few reboots.

• Like 1

Just enabled Band 41 on my device. Will test it when I get to work which is in a Clear LTE area. Anyone have any success with manually enabling Band 41?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

How do you enable the band?

Show your LTE engineering screen please. -20 dBm difference is crazy unless your previous phone had a bad radio.

Show your LTE engineering screen please. -20 dBm difference is crazy unless your previous phone had a bad radio.

The EVO LTE was a very poor RF performer, the Nexus 5 is a very strong RF performer, 20dBm doesn't shock me at all.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

• Like 2