Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I know Google is planning on shutting down 'voice' in the next couple months which is very unfortunate.  Does anyone know if Sprint is planning on releasing a 'voicemail' app in the play store for phones like the N5??

I know Google is planning on shutting down 'voice' in the next couple months which is very unfortunate.  Does anyone know if Sprint is planning on releasing a 'voicemail' app in the play store for phones like the N5??

They aren't shutting down google voice, just closing it off to outside applications.

They might merge it with Hangouts,

Sprint never released a voice app for any of their nexus phones, not the Nexus 4G or the Galaxy Nexus, and I don't expect one for the Nexus 5.

The google voice app is great.

• Like 1

I wish.  I still cant get it to download new messages reliably.  its a constant delete the message, undelete the message battle just to listen to it.

I wish.  I still cant get it to download new messages reliably.  its a constant delete the message, undelete the message battle just to listen to it.

Ehh? I've never had any issues. Sometimes it stops playing, but hitting play again will get the whole message to play properly.

• Like 1

Ehh? I've never had any issues. Sometimes it stops playing, but hitting play again will get the whole message to play properly.

I think im literally the only one with problems with GV.  Ive posted in this thread before and no one said they had issues with it like me.  Problem is i dont know what I could change settings wise to fix it.

I think im literally the only one with problems with GV. Ive posted in this thread before and no one said they had issues with it like me. Problem is i dont know what I could change settings wise to fix it.

There's been a few of us who've had problems too. I just disabled it, and I check my inbox when I have a missed call. Its simpler that way lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Really need to update this phone.  Random apps are draining the battery.  Like "Whats this Song".  Never used it on the day where it said 60%.  Great battery life after reboot.  Buggiest version of android yet.  I hope 4.4.3 is better

Really need to update this phone. Random apps are draining the battery. Like "Whats this Song". Never used it on the day where it said 60%. Great battery life after reboot. Buggiest version of android yet. I hope 4.4.3 is better

The app % values are all relative and don't necessarily indicate a problem with an app or your battery life. You need to provide some context if you think this is an issue.

For example, if you unplug your phone from the charger, play a game for 10 minutes, then check those battery stats, you will see it showing very high numbers for that game (and probably "Screen" as well). You might have only used 1% of your overall battery capacity, but the stats are showing you a breakdown of what that 1% of usage was.

Of course, if you are seeing random apps you didn't use showing legitimate impacts on long-term samples of battery life, there is a problem somewhere. If it's a third-party app like the one you mentioned, that's more likely a problem with that app, not Android.

-Mike

• Like 6

Google voice is a good temporary fix but I want the regular VM to work. I borrowed a TMO SIM stuck it in my phone, left myself a message and the notification worked just fine.

FYI, as of today, my voice mail notifications are now working.  Two people on the Ting forums have confirmed this as well.

DC

• Like 1

FYI, as of today, my voice mail notifications are now working.  Two people on the Ting forums have confirmed this as well.

DC

Hah funny it figures the day after I decide to return the thing and send it back notifications start to work! 

They aren't shutting down google voice, just closing it off to outside applications.

They might merge it with Hangouts,

Sprint never released a voice app for any of their nexus phones, not the Nexus 4G or the Galaxy Nexus, and I don't expect one for the Nexus 5.

http://9to5google.com/2014/03/18/google-plans-kill-google-voice-in-months-integrate-features-into-hangouts/

This is just a rumor at this point, and they don't say anything about killing off the core Google Voice features, just getting rid of the app itself and incorporating it into the Hangouts app.

• Like 1

Its not a third party app. Its a widget

If that is in reply to me, it's the same thing. Third party = something not built into Android or by Google. If you think a specific app (or widget) is draining your battery, it is probably an issue with that item.

-Mike

So I feel like my phone tends to prefer to sit on 3G when I'm driving on the highway.. I drove from Orlando to Daytona and noticed it sat on 3G 90 percent of the time. On the way back, I set it to LTE only and never went below -113 dBm. Could it be CSFB issues or just B25 being more fragile at highway speeds? It was annoying because I couldn't stream when I was on 3G half the time. Aahhrg

• Like 1

So I feel like my phone tends to prefer to sit on 3G when I'm driving on the highway.. I drove from Orlando to Daytona and noticed it sat on 3G 90 percent of the time. On the way back, I set it to LTE only and never went below -113 dBm. Could it be CSFB issues or just B25 being more fragile at highway speeds? It was annoying because I couldn't stream when I was on 3G half the time. Aahhrg

I've never had issues staying on LTE on the highway. In fact, its often much better on the highway than anywhere else.

I've never had issues staying on LTE on the highway. In fact, its often much better on the highway than anywhere else.

Another thought is my band priorities. I have B26 as 1, B41 as 2, and B25 as 3. Plus I run PRL updates all the time to kick my phone to B41. But I would be surprised if those settings caused a 3G connection to stick longer than it should with normal re-scans happening in the background. Another theory I was thinking about is the disparity of legacy 3G to NV 3G/4G, since there are a good chunk of sites around here that are still legacy 3G but 4G accepted.

I just wish the phone was smart enough to realize when a 3G connection sucks and an available LTE connection works better. 

For example, I was sitting on 3G -93 RSSI with data unusable.. I set it to LTE only and got a -105 dBm RSRP with data working just fine. I've noticed that happening a few times, even when not on the road. It was just worse than usual today since it sat on 3G for a good 40 minutes while i zoomed past towers I knew where 4G accepted. 

phones only tend to switch to lte when idle, so if you are keeping a mostly active connection by streaming, it will tend to stay on the same type of connection until forced to switch (ie the LTE or 3g connection drops) or has enough idle connection time to scan.

Edited by dedub
  • Like 2

anyone else having issues with 3G connection just dropping on its own?  The areas I frequent don't have LTE available but my 3G connection will randomly drop.  Sometimes it comes back within 2 minutes and sometimes it doesn't come back until I restart the phone.  I am on PA right now but happened on stock as well, and am using .23 radio

anyone else having issues with 3G connection just dropping on its own?  The areas I frequent don't have LTE available but my 3G connection will randomly drop.  Sometimes it comes back within 2 minutes and sometimes it doesn't come back until I restart the phone.  I am on PA right now but happened on stock as well, and am using .23 radio

have you tried putting it in 1x/3g mode instead of lte or global?

have you tried putting it in 1x/3g mode instead of lte or global?

I haven't, mostly because once my area gets cluster launched, I'm wondering if I would still have the same issue going to LTE.  I will give it a shot though and see what happens.

I haven't, mostly because once my area gets cluster launched, I'm wondering if I would still have the same issue going to LTE.  I will give it a shot though and see what happens.

The reason i say try that is because the nexus is scanning for LTE which isnt there