Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

how does bluetooth interfere with lte, how would you even know it?

the one wierd thing I have noticed with my last couple phones is that whenever my phone bluetooth connects to my car, my radar detector goes crazy until I power cycle it.

Criminal speeder........[emoji39]

how does bluetooth interfere with lte, how would you even know it?

the one wierd thing I have noticed with my last couple phones is that whenever my phone bluetooth connects to my car, my radar detector goes crazy until I power cycle it.

It's not noticeable most of the time. Although, the Nexus 5 seems more prone to it, at least on Kit Kat builds. I've observed interference on the Nexus 5 using my car's built-in Bluetooth when I have WiFi and/or LTE enabled. For me, it's a sporadic distortion of the audio quality. But, it can manifest in other ways, i.e. Bluetooth disconnects, failure to pair, etc. Here's a blurb from the horse's mouth:

Bluetooth 4.1 extends the Bluetooth brand promise to provide consumers with a simple experience that "just works." Major usability updates come in three areas:

Coexistence — engineered to work seamlessly and cooperatively with the latest generation cellular technologies like LTE. Bluetooth and LTE radios can communicate in order to ensure transmissions are coordinated and therefore reduce the possibility of near-band interference. The coordination between the two technologies happens automatically, while the consumer experiences the high quality they expect.

http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Press-Releases-Detail.aspx?ItemID=197

Unrelated: in rural AM radio areas, plugging my N5 into the car charger can give gigantic feedback/fuzz onto my car speakers.

The exact same phenomena happens when I open the camera app on my phone. It blows my mind why this happens.

Clear as day and repeatable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Unrelated: in rural AM radio areas, plugging my N5 into the car charger can give gigantic feedback/fuzz onto my car speakers.

The exact same phenomena happens when I open the camera app on my phone. It blows my mind why this happens.

If it weren't for the camera issue, I'd guess that your car's electric lines run alongside your antenna. But that's unrelated to the camera. Weird.

Nexus 5 creates some pretty bad electrical interference when it's charging, or when it's sending/receiving data, or several other things. I have to remember to keep mine on the other side of my desk at work from my headphones cord. If I plug my Nexus 5 into my car's Aux jack and don't pass any audio, the noise is pretty bad.

I remember reading a while back about people that were having a difficult time with tri-band devices and airave's.  I found this thread that will allow you to automatically change your phone to "2g" mode under certain conditions.  The condition I use is being connected to my home wifi.  I was missing calls at home because my phone was parked on very weak LTE signal and when a call would come in, the voice signal was not strong enough for me to receive the call.  My phone was refusing to use the airave signal.  Since the changes I've made using tasker, I no longer miss any calls.  I feel that this is a much better solution then having to manually change the preferred network type every time you get home.  This is just a friendly fyi for anyone out there with these problems.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comments/1ub98m/tasker_to_toggle_2g3g/

Edit:  This method can also be used to throw your phone into any mode you want depending on the trigger you define.  For example, if you think that your phone will use less battery by sitting on 1x while at home and connected to Wi-Fi, then this method is for you.  

note: it does require root access  

• Like 1

I remember reading a while back about people that were having a difficult time with tri-band devices and airave's. I found this thread that will allow you to automatically change your phone to "2g" mode under certain conditions. The condition I use is being connected to my home wifi. I was missing calls at home because my phone was parked on very weak LTE signal and when a call would come in, the voice signal was not strong enough for me to receive the call. My phone was refusing to use the airave signal. Since the changes I've made using tasker, I no longer miss any calls. I feel that this is a much better solution then having to manually change the preferred network type every time you get home. This is just a friendly fyi for anyone out there with these problems.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comments/1ub98m/tasker_to_toggle_2g3g/

Edit: This method can also be used to throw your phone into any mode you want depending on the trigger you define. For example, if you think that your phone will use less battery by sitting on 1x while at home and connected to Wi-Fi, then this method is for you.

That's good to know and bookmarked [emoji4]

My Bluetooth interference problem seems to be mostly from the WiFi 2.4GHz frequency band. Switching the WiFi to 5GHz helps a lot. Although, I do pick up very minor interference when my Nexus 5 has LTE enabled, it's not bad enough for me to resort to disabling LTE automatically. I can disable WiFi automatically with AutomateIt and that seems to be pretty full proof.

Edit:  This method can also be used to throw your phone into any mode you want depending on the trigger you define.  For example, if you think that your phone will use less battery by sitting on 1x while at home and connected to Wi-Fi, then this method is for you.  

All this method does is automate access to the internal Testing.apk and its Phone info screen/menu.  You can just as easily use the dialer code or create a home screen shortcut to the Testing.apk.

AJ

All this method does is automate access to the internal Testing.apk and its Phone info screen/menu.  You can just as easily use the dialer code or create a home screen shortcut to the Testing.apk.

AJ

Yes, I understand that.  But isn't automation so much better?!?! ;)  For my situation, changing the conditions of the phone depending on what Wi-Fi I am or am not connected to automatically is much better/easier than even having to click a shortcut on the home screen.  Call me lazy, but it makes things easier for me.

All this method does is automate access to the internal Testing.apk and its Phone info screen/menu. You can just as easily use the dialer code or create a home screen shortcut to the Testing.apk.

AJ

That's not an ideal solution though. You really shouldn't be entering either of those engineering and testing screens on a regular basis because of the off chance that you could change an important setting inadvertently.

Maybe related? 

I mounted a QI wireless charger in my car dock. When I have it in the cradle (and charging) it blocks my cars ability to read that my key is in the car (wireless key fob). So if the car is running and the phone is in the cradle, if I open a door then close the door (forces the car to find the key fob) the car gives me a warning that it cannot detect the key fob. So I take the phone out of the cradle, allow the car to find the key fob, then put the phone back in the cradle.  I wonder if the detector module for the car happens to sit behind or near where my cradle is mounted.

That's not an ideal solution though. You really shouldn't be entering either of those engineering and testing screens on a regular basis because of the off chance that you could change an important setting inadvertently.

That may be true for most general users.  But it is not a problem for a wireless engineering knowledgeable writer like myself.  And it is not a problem for many of our similarly experienced members.  We use the internal APK screens and settings all of the time.  If we did not, a lot of the info on this site would not exist.

AJ

That may be true for most general users. But it is not a problem for a wireless engineering knowledgeable writer like myself. And it is not a problem for many of our similarly experienced members. We use the internal APK screens and settings all of the time. If we did not, a lot of the info on this site would not exist.

AJ

Well, good for you. I don't have an issue using those screens myself, but just because I feel comfortable using those screens, doesn't justify the risk you inherit.

On the subject of recharging, I just ordered a 4000mah battery that UPS lost and amazon mis-shipped (I'm the proud new owner of a iphone 4 battery case), so now I'm off to best buy to buy another one. What is the optimal amount of amp output so I don't blow the battery out? 

Anyone should know not to change a setting they have no idea what it means or does. People do it and mess up their phones. Its their fault. There have been warning posted numerous times. Just like rooting and the works you do it for personal reasons/gains, even with risk.

Well, good for you. I don't have an issue using those screens myself, but just because I feel comfortable using those screens, doesn't justify the risk you inherit.

First of all, welcome to S4GRU.  I am not sure that anyone has appropriately greeted you since you became a member this spring.

Now, do realize that you are responding to a staff member and contributing author at this site.  Your responses to me repeatedly have been argumentative and inappropriate in tone.  If you do not care for my matter of fact approach, then S4GRU may not be the right place for you.

So, please do not arrive here and think that you can lecture our members -- and especially our staff -- after only a dozen or so posts.  You have no known track record nor accountability.

Those unpleasantries aside, we hope you stick around, find S4GRU a valuable resource, and consider contributing to our non profit operation.

AJ

On the subject of recharging, I just ordered a 4000mah battery that UPS lost and amazon mis-shipped (I'm the proud new owner of a iphone 4 battery case), so now I'm off to best buy to buy another one. What is the optimal amount of amp output so I don't blow the battery out?

The phone self-regulates amp input. I think the most it lets in is 2.1. Voltage is what you have to look out for, but USB is always 5. :)

EDIT: I hate autocorrect.

The phone self-regulates amp input. I think the most it let's in is 2.1. Voltage is what you have to look out for, but ISB is always 5. :)

Thanks! Max output is 2.1, just didn't wanna blow the damn thing up. Looking forward to traversing through a true spark market for the first time tomorrow. The real test will be when I take it to Oriole Park to see how it handles in crowds and what band(s) I get pushed to.

• Like 1

First of all, welcome to S4GRU. I am not sure that anyone has appropriately greeted you since you became a member this spring.

Now, do realize that you are responding to a staff member and contributing author at this site. Your responses to me repeatedly have been argumentative and inappropriate in tone. If you do not care for my matter of fact approach, then S4GRU may not be the right place for you.

So, please do not arrive here and think that you can lecture our members -- and especially our staff -- after only a dozen or so posts. You have no known track record nor accountability.

Those unpleasantries aside, we hope you stick around, find S4GRU a valuable resource, and consider contributing to our non profit operation.

AJ

I do apologize that you felt my responses were argumentative and innapropriate, but I simply differ in opinion from you. I honestly mean no disrespect. I do have a significant amount of Android experience and I prefer to not assume everyone knows what I do. That's why I'm cautionary and replied back to you. I don't encourage people to tinker in areas I'm comfortable with just because I'm that confident. I like to advise of the danger of handling those screens.

I have to ask you and again I don't mean to be disrespectful, but are you saying that your status on this forum restricts any difference of opinion from you?

Edited by MkVsTheWorld
  • Like 2

Current rating does not matter as long as it meets the minimum the phone needs. Voltage is what will cause stuff to go boom. Think of it this way, you can plug a tiny 12v test light into a car battery and nothing bad happens even though your battery can put out hundreds of amps. The phone's charging circuit works the same way, as long as the voltage is correct you could use any size battery you wanted.

I do apologize that you felt my responses were argumentative and innapropriate, but I simply differ in opinion from you. I honestly mean no disrespect. I do have a significant amount of Android experience and I prefer to not assume everyone knows what I do. That's why I'm cautionary and replied back to you. I don't encourage people to tinker in areas I'm comfortable with just because I'm that confident. I like to advise of the danger of handling those screens.

I concur that not everyone should be mucking around with internal screens/settings.  There is good reason why they are hidden.  In fact, I even turned down the opportunity for a video tutorial shoot with a mainstream newspaper recently because I warned that our methods of network observation would not be advisable for general users.  But I know our audience here at S4GRU.  And I know the member to whom I responded earlier today.  My post was an appropriate clarification.

I have to ask you and again I don't mean to be disrespectful, but are you saying that your status on this forum restricts any difference of opinion from you?

Yes and no.  Robert and I are the two primary content creators at S4GRU.  As staff, we run the site, so we set the editorial stance.  Members are free to disagree respectfully and debate our points.  We even welcome that, as it leads to progressive discussion.  However, if some members disagree repeatedly and flippantly, they bite the hands that feed them.  And S4GRU is not a good fit for them.  That does not necessarily apply to you, but we have experience with those sorts of members, unfortunately.

AJ

• Like 4

The problem with the Nexus 5 failing to jump to LTE when available, i.e. stuck in 3G or worse, has been explained as a network issue. The solution I am using now is to disable band 41. (It was re-enabled after the 4.4.4 update and then disabled again after discovering the LTE experience was still horrible.)

How will I know when my area and the Sprint network at large is tri-band ready, not just in theoretical capability but in actual flawless real world use? When I can re-enable band 41 and enjoy true tri-band goodness?

I'm in the DFW area.

The problem with the Nexus 5 failing to jump to LTE when available, i.e. stuck in 3G or worse, has been explained as a network issue. The solution I am using now is to disable band 41. (It was re-enabled after the 4.4.4 update and then disabled again after discovering the LTE experience was still horrible.)

How will I know when my area and the Sprint network at large is tri-band ready, not just in theoretical capability but in actual flawless real world use? When I can re-enable band 41 and enjoy true tri-band goodness?

I'm in the DFW area.

Donate and become a premium sponsor, and keep checking back for band 41 updates. But DFW is supposedly band 41 ready. But I've found a month ago I could only get b41 near mesquite, on 635.

I'm in the DFW area.

Your network should be tri-band ready. Not sure why it wouldn't be.

Sent from my Nexus 5