Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Does the Nexus or any tri band device, or maybe even the network shuffle around 1x connections like it does for LTE?  I am using the sponsor PRL (513) with 1x800 prioritized over 1xRTT and this has simply stopped working  as of late.  The phone always chooses 1xRTT.  Sometimes, I see it connect to 1x800  briefly but it falls right back over to 1xRTT quite quickly like it realized it wasnt supposed to be on there.

I want to say that maybe this all started when they took my area off the testing SID but I am not sure if the sponsors PRL prioritizes all 1x800 SIDs or just the test SIDs.

4ygypabu.jpg

Anybody find that this phone is pretty obnoxious at holding onto B41? I've seen it at -130 and worse before. Doesn't do that with any other band.

Band 41 can perform better at lower levels like that, so I imagine it's done on propose.

Anybody find that this phone is pretty obnoxious at holding onto B41? I've seen it at -130 and worse before. Doesn't do that with any other band.

G2 also does the same thing. But it performs at those readings. 

I have noticed my n5 holding on to b41 much longer on 270 between olive and 44 down into the -120's, I don't know if its some network or site optimizations or what.

it still won't consistently hang on to a -110ish b41 connection over a -90ish b25 connection at my desk, even though the b41 is often twice as fast as the more heavily loaded b25 (6-10+ megs b41 vs 2-6 megs b25).

Does the Nexus or any tri band device, or maybe even the network shuffle around 1x connections like it does for LTE?  I am using the sponsor PRL (513) with 1x800 prioritized over 1xRTT and this has simply stopped working  as of late.  The phone always chooses 1xRTT.  Sometimes, I see it connect to 1x800  briefly but it falls right back over to 1xRTT quite quickly like it realized it wasnt supposed to be on there.

I want to say that maybe this all started when they took my area off the testing SID but I am not sure if the sponsors PRL prioritizes all 1x800 SIDs or just the test SIDs.

The network tells you what you will be on Band/band class wise. You have very limited control. The PRL is a scan priority, the 513 scans the 1x800 first, with a higher priority than 1x1900. But in the end the network tells you where to park. Same with LTE band priority, it is just a scan this first, then this, then the other. But Network picks which one it wants you one based on available capacity, signal strength, and such.

The network tells you what you will be on Band/band class wise. You have very limited control. The PRL is a scan priority, the 513 scans the 1x800 first, with a higher priority than 1x1900. But in the end the network tells you where to park. Same with LTE band priority, it is just a scan this first, then this, then the other. But Network picks which one it wants you one based on available capacity, signal strength, and such.

Running this PRL on my old(er) photon Q and even the nexus when I first got it would always put me on 1x800 as per the PRL set up.  It just lately seems to ignore this however the towers around me just recently became 800 accepted so previously this may not have all been set up correctly in regards to the auto shuffling around between 1xRTT and 1x800.

But..slightly OT...does anyone know the behavior of a tower when all or part of it is blocking connections?  Would a phone connect and then be shunted off of it within a matter of seconds?

Running this PRL on my old(er) photon Q and even the nexus when I first got it would always put me on 1x800 as per the PRL set up.  It just lately seems to ignore this however the towers around me just recently became 800 accepted so previously this may not have all been set up correctly in regards to the auto shuffling around between 1xRTT and 1x800.

But..slightly OT...does anyone know the behavior of a tower when all or part of it is blocking connections?  Would a phone connect and then be shunted off of it within a matter of seconds?

Sounds about right. Used to be fine on my nexus, now it's about the same as the stock PRL. There is no difference between 1x800 and 1x1900, besides which spectrum it's on. If 1x1900 is working fine, no over capacity, and signal strength good for calls/texts then no need for 1x800. Network will shift you over when needed(should at least)

My nexus camps 1x800 most of the time unless I'm really close to a tower, like a mile or less.

I live outside the city limits, so when my tower goes out like it does every now and then I have no service or poor roaming service. But last time it went out it connected to 1x800 with a great signal but would not stay connected. It kept jumping from 1x800 to roaming to no service. I seem to only connect to 1x800 in extreme circumstances and even then it will not stay on it will jump around. This phone acts like its allergic to 1x800 lol.

I live outside the city limits...

I seem to only connect to 1x800 in extreme circumstances and even then it will not stay on it will jump around.

That must be a house of pain.

AJ

• Like 2

But why would you want to be on 1x800 if you don't NEED to be?  There is no point if the phone is performing fine on 1xRTT.  

But why would you want to be on 1x800 if you don't NEED to be? There is no point if the phone is performing fine on 1xRTT.

I've been on 1x1900 and walked down to the basement and had my call dropped. But when I called the person back I was shunted to 1x800. So for that situation, if I was on 1x800 the whole time my call wouldn't have been dropped.

But I guess my question out of this would be, can calls be handed off from 1x1900 to 1x800 ? Seems like that didn't happen for me and I somewhat expected that it would.

• Like 2

But why would you want to be on 1x800 if you don't NEED to be?  There is no point if the phone is performing fine on 1xRTT.  

Well why be on 1xRTT if the phone is performing fine on 1x800? ^_^

But...I never intended to be on 800 all the time and i really only run the PRL for scouting out the progress of 1x800.  I think I have discovered that since my local tower has been 800 accepted since last week, the side broadcasting towards my house is blocking connections in some way (connects for a second or two and then throws me off) while the other two sides are perfectly fine.  Not sure what the deal is.

Well why be on 1xRTT if the phone is performing fine on 1x800? ^_^

But...I never intended to be on 800 all the time and i really only run the PRL for scouting out the progress of 1x800. I think I have discovered that since my local tower has been 800 accepted since last week, the side broadcasting towards my house is blocking connections in some way (connects for a second or two and then throws me off) while the other two sides are perfectly fine. Not sure what the deal is.

Why be on 1xRTT instead of 1xRTT?

Think about it. ;)

Sent from my LG G3

you just blew my mind.

AJ

• Like 2

I'm wondering if I'm expecting something unreasonable out if the latest radio. Once it drops to 3G because the LTE signal is just too weak how long should it take to get back on LTE when I move 10 feet to a spot I know has a decent signal level? Does this fit into the scan for LTE every 15 minutes or whatever or should it just come back in a few seconds?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if I'm expecting something unreasonable out if the latest radio. Once it drops to 3G because the LTE signal is just too weak how long should it take to get back on LTE when I move 10 feet to a spot I know has a decent signal level? Does this fit into the scan for LTE every 15 minutes or whatever or should it just come back in a few seconds?

Nobody really knows how long the LTE scan time is. I also think it is dynamic based on the conditions under which you drop to 3G. In addition, it won't switch to LTE if data is being used. It could take anywhere from a few seconds to 5 minutes or more to go back to LTE. It all depends on where the scan timer was when it dropped (scan timer keeps going while on LTE). Of course you can get it back instantly by toggling airplane mode.

I have been using SCP to toggle airplane mode. I'm also steaming radio so that's the main reason it doesn't hop back.

Nobody really knows how long the LTE scan time is. I also think it is dynamic based on the conditions under which you drop to 3G. In addition, it won't switch to LTE if data is being used. It could take anywhere from a few seconds to 5 minutes or more to go back to LTE. It all depends on where the scan timer was when it dropped (scan timer keeps going while on LTE). Of course you can get it back instantly by toggling airplane mode.

We know the network will swap between LTE bands as needed.  We know the network will swap between 1x800 and 1xRTT as needed, etc.  Why cant the network switch (or initiate) the phone to swap over to LTE when in range...why is a timer internal to the phone still used for this part?  The network handles everything else now it seems.

We know the network will swap between LTE bands as needed.  We know the network will swap between 1x800 and 1xRTT as needed, etc.  Why cant the network switch (or initiate) the phone to swap over to LTE when in range...why is a timer internal to the phone still used for this part?  The network handles everything else now it seems.

The network can only switch you between bands/technologies based upon what your device is reporting back to the network. If you device loses LTE, then it can no longer report to the network that it is seeing LTE. You device HAS to see the network in order to switch. This is the same reason you do not switch between bands as easily while data is active. If you are on Band 25 streaming video, but move into an area with Band 26 that is less congested and better signal, you will not be able to switch until your devices performs a scan and is able to report to the network that it sees Band 26.