Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

MMS works for me with the Hello app. (L)

What's the general consensus on which is the best radio on 4.4.4? Or is it your milage may vary on the radios still?

For Chicago, I'd go with the stock 2.x.x.x.16 radio. Best Spark friendly radio. 

MMS works for me with the Hello app. (L)

What's the general consensus on which is the best radio on 4.4.4? Or is it your milage may vary on the radios still?

Hello uploads all MMS to their servers, bypassing carrier MMS.

The L radio is pretty much identical in performance if you're dying to have the latest and greatest.

Hello only uploads when you use their MMS service.

See the send pictures over data in the picpa5ehy8y.jpg

The hello cam is the same way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Also when you use the hello SMS MMS service you receive a link to the picture not the picture itself.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've seen reports of hello not obeying that option and uploading pictures to their server anyway.

My wife's G2 is experiencing the issues with the gps as well. Every now and then when we open Google Maps it shows we're in a different state. Sounds like a few of the issues noted on this thread with gps not locking. We took it in to Best Buy where Geek Squad loaded their app to diagnose the problem and low and behold nothing is wrong with the device. A few days later the issue presented itself again. I'll be taking the device back tonight with hopes to get it replaced. 

My wife's G2 is experiencing the issues with the gps as well. Every now and then when we open Google Maps it shows we're in a different state. Sounds like a few of the issues noted on this thread with gps not locking. We took it in to Best Buy where Geek Squad loaded their app to diagnose the problem and low and behold nothing is wrong with the device. A few days later the issue presented itself again. I'll be taking the device back tonight with hopes to get it replaced.

I think this is a bug with the new unified location API in Kit Kat. I've noticed that some apps actually can block other apps from accessing GPS simultaneously, and I believe it happens when those apps are using the older API.

I've specifically noticed it with Sensorly blocking Google Maps, but I've seen it happen in several other cases as well.

I use waze extensively and occasionally I will get the dreaded 'no gps' notification, sometimes I can move the phone around in circles and figure 8's to try to recalibrate the compass, but a lot of times I just have to reboot.

very annoying.

I think this is a bug with the new unified location API in Kit Kat. I've noticed that some apps actually can block other apps from accessing GPS simultaneously, and I believe it happens when those apps are using the older API.

I've specifically noticed it with Sensorly blocking Google Maps, but I've seen it happen in several other cases as well.

It isn't just kit kat. Happens with Jelly Bean also.

Do you know if a custom rom would fix the problem? 

I use waze extensively and occasionally I will get the dreaded 'no gps' notification, sometimes I can move the phone around in circles and figure 8's to try to recalibrate the compass, but a lot of times I just have to reboot.

very annoying.

Turn off location services and turn them back on. Fixed. 

very annoying.

I had that GPS issue on my original Nexus 5 and ended up requesting an RMA with the Google Play Store. The replacement doesn't seem to get the "no GPS" or "GPS signal lost" notification. I know some folks were able to fix the issue on their own by opening up their phone and using a piece of paper to fix a loose GPS connection. Although, I think the newer Nexus 5 builds do not have the GPS defect.

very annoying.

I have this problem all the time.

Really? I feel like my pos nexus sits on 3g often with the stock 4.4.4 radio. Thanks for the advice though. I'll continue to use the stock radio.

Do older radios work on the new bands? or is it straight 4.4.3 and later radios only?

Really? I feel like my pos nexus sits on 3g often with the stock 4.4.4 radio. Thanks for the advice though. I'll continue to use the stock radio.

Do older radios work on the new bands? or is it straight 4.4.3 and later radios only?

They work, for instance the .15 works even with non ecsfb enabled b41/26. However they weren't specifically designed with spark capability in mind like the 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 radios were (and future ones of course).

They work, for instance the .15 works even with non ecsfb enabled b41/26. However they weren't specifically designed with spark capability in mind like the 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 radios were (and future ones of course).

The .15 radio is definitely more sticky to LTE in my opinion. The. 16 radio seems to have the same reception but camps on 3g

The .15 radio is definitely more sticky to LTE in my opinion. The. 16 radio seems to have the same reception but camps on 3g

I'm on the .16 radio and my Nexus seems to get on B41 whenever it sees it, even in places where I couldn't get B41 on the .15 radio.

The .15 radio will hold onto LTE signals longer because it is falsely over-reporting the signal strength by 5-10dB. Depending on how the site is configured, and how many users are on it, you may still have a good experience at those extremely low signal levels. However, many will find LTE is unusable at those levels.

I've also found the .15 radio to be very, very flakey when it comes to B41. I was only ever able to connect to B41 when I didn't have a B25 or B26 signal, which in Kansas City was very rare. With the 2.x.x.x.16 radio, I find myself on B41 more often than not in my area of KC, and B26 anywhere I don't have B41. 

• Like 2

Am I the only one who's got Android L on their N5? Installed it last Friday. A couple apps are wonky or defunct (Slack, Facebook), but things are getting a bit better. And battery life is maybe slightly better than on 4.4.x, even though I was using ART on those versions as well.

It's sad though that I can't view the LTE Engineering screen..."Service Programu has stopped" won't let me. I know L has a new radio with it, and at one point I was able to see the screen to know that B26 was connecting just fine...but not anymore :(

How's Bluetooth performance? I hear Bluetooth 4.1 is supposed to help with LTE interference, which I actually am experiencing on the LG Nexus 5 (4.4.4). Edited by MkVsTheWorld

how does bluetooth interfere with lte, how would you even know it?

the one wierd thing I have noticed with my last couple phones is that whenever my phone bluetooth connects to my car, my radar detector goes crazy until I power cycle it.