Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

SMS and MMS require an active wireless data connection, and cannot be sent/received over wifi.

Only partially true because as I understand it carriers can enable MMS over WiFi. Sprint is the only carrier who has this. The 8sms messaging app settings verify this as far as I know but they might have removed the feature. But in the end it depends on if the carrier has enabled it on both ends.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MMS does work over WiFi for Textra as well. I have it enabled in the app:

Screenshot_2014-04-24-16-12-58.png

You can see I have prefer WiFi checked and I haven't missed any mms messages that I know of at home when I'm connected to WiFi. As a side note, I have Activate Mobile Data checked as well, but that's because I'm in a crappy signal area during work, so I disable mobile data, and if I don't have that option enabled, I'll miss MMS messages for obvious reasons.

So much for the "24th" memo, guess we've got a few more hours! After today, I suppose it's anyone's guess as to when this update will drop. 

Meh. Enjoying my 5S for the time being. The data drops were just getting ridiculous on my N5. 

Hi everyone. Quick question. I searched but didn't find much, but I was wanting to use LTE only (*#*#4636#*#*, Phone, LTE Only), and it does work but on Sprint, it disables 1x and pretends like the phone has no coverage and then does the "Searching for Service" and the battery drains like crazy. Any ideas?

Hi everyone. Quick question. I searched but didn't find much, but I was wanting to use LTE only (*#*#4636#*#*, Phone, LTE Only), and it does work but on Sprint, it disables 1x and pretends like the phone has no coverage and then does the "Searching for Service" and the battery drains like crazy. Any ideas?

Do you have LTE? When the phone has absolutely no service you can kiss your battery life away. It will drain it extremely fast. If you have LTE available then idk.

-luis

Forcing LTE only is supposed to disable 1x... It literally means only connect to LTE.

• Like 2

Basically I don't get great LTE reception between towers for now and if I force to LTE only it stays locked on (I live in WIchita so I mean we have plenty of band 25 and 26, so reception is *not* a problem). But if I'm between towers it drops me to EVDO and I don't like/want that. LTE only is great except for Cell Standby eating battery (went from 98%-94% within 10 minutes) since it's searching for 1x, which I disabled. I know the phone bases it's signal strength off of 1x or if it's connected to the network or not, so that may be why. I can't remember if you can disable that or not though.

It says "Searching for Service" because it is not getting a CSFB connection. It also does this if you use the .15 radio and connect to a site that hasn't has the CSFB upgrades yet.

However, I've never had it drain the battery at that rate while in LTE Only mode. So long as you have an LTE signal, it shouldn't do that, since it can't actually search for service because 1x is disabled.

didn't have to, i'm set normally, i ALREADY posted how it worked for me much ealier in this thread, but was told it was irrelevant, but it works..

hint - MTRR

This is what everyone is talking about when forcing lte.

3a9apa7u.jpg

The LG g2 in the past had a mode known as Data centric which forces the phone to connect to any data (4g/evdo/1x) an ignores csfb. It was taken out in the latest software update. The nexus 5 does not have such a setting to my knowledge.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Ok phone shopping, do I want a 5 on Sprint or no. You all have me nervous.

No reason not too. LTE isn't launched yet in your area, by the time it is we should have the Spark update. If not, at least the N5 isn't as costly as other devices.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

okay my phone completely died over night went to bed around 12 got up about 6 had about 60 percent at midnight .  So does anyone charger the oem one make a humming noise not plugged in to the phone.  I think my charger is shot.

Anyone got a link to a good guide to getting B26 and B41 working? I'm tired of waiting, the last time I looked into it it was all guesses on what actually worked. Will I have to go back and forth in settings here in St Charles County for eCSFB issues if I'm not just out mapping?

Anyone got a link to a good guide to getting B26 and B41 working? I'm tired of waiting, the last time I looked into it it was all guesses on what actually worked. Will I have to go back and forth in settings here in St Charles County for eCSFB issues if I'm not just out mapping?

Follow the guide on XDA, flash either .15 or .17. Best bet for b41, b26 will work on .23, .17, and .15