Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Any thoughts about how the GS5 and HTC M8 are getting the spark update before the N5? Aren't they running the current version of Kit Kat also?

gs5 and m8 should already come spark ready.

It is only the nexus 5 that was released before spark was 'ready' and still has not received the official spark update.

So chances are they think they are getting spark but they are not until the update.

I think you confused what I meant. Every phone sold in 2014 comes with spark enabled out of the box. The n5 hasn't gotten the update due to Google wanting to role it out in a bug fixing update, instead of having a Sprint only update. I was saying that we'll get the next installment of KitKat with our spark update, or the next Android operating system before the new phones will. So in the long run we shall still come out ahead.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Any thoughts about how the GS5 and HTC M8 are getting the spark update before the N5? Aren't they running the current version of Kit Kat also?

Samsung and HTC pretty much launched their previous Spark enabled phones with a Day 1 OTA update. I wouldn't be surprised to see the GS5 and HTC One M8 be Spark ready out of the box.

It was LG who took a little bit to get the Spark update working on the G2, and, even then, the G2 got the update a long time ago now.

Now it's just Google that's holding back the Spark update for the Nexus 5. Unlike the other Spark capable phones, this one is on the Nexus timeline, so we're essentially waiting on 4.4.3 or later. Based on the latest tracking information, 4.4.3 is already being tested, but whether that update comes out before or after the GS5's and M8's release dates in April, we can't tell. For all we know, the 4.4.3 build seen could still have bugs they need to iron out that would delay the release past April, or it could have tested perfectly and release tomorrow. Of course, I'm hoping we get it before them, but I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't.

Anyone know anything about the Sprint blank text messages from "9479" issue?  I tried searching this topic using keyword "9479" but no results were found. I really don't have time to read 256 pages of dialogue to find out so if anyone could point me in the right direction or provide a possible alternate link that may shed some light on possible resolution, I'd be thrilled.  Thanks!

The GS5 and M8 for Sprint were designed from the start as Spark phones. They are not receiving "update" to Spark.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Anyone know anything about the Sprint blank text messages from "9479" issue? I tried searching this topic using keyword "9479" but no results were found. I really don't have time to read 256 pages of dialogue to find out so if anyone could point me in the right direction or provide a possible alternate link that may shed some light on possible resolution, I'd be thrilled. Thanks!

Did your previous device have Sprint Visual Voicemail provisioned? It sends texts from that number to notify the app you have voicemail.

Did your previous device have Sprint Visual Voicemail provisioned? It sends texts from that number to notify the app you have voicemail.

Do you know how to make that stop? I had VVM on my EVO and I get spammed all the time.

Samsung and HTC pretty much launched their previous Spark enabled phones with a Day 1 OTA update. I wouldn't be surprised to see the GS5 and HTC One M8 be Spark ready out of the box.

It was LG who took a little bit to get the Spark update working on the G2, and, even then, the G2 got the update a long time ago now.

Now it's just Google that's holding back the Spark update for the Nexus 5. Unlike the other Spark capable phones, this one is on the Nexus timeline, so we're essentially waiting on 4.4.3 or later. Based on the latest tracking information, 4.4.3 is already being tested, but whether that update comes out before or after the GS5's and M8's release dates in April, we can't tell. For all we know, the 4.4.3 build seen could still have bugs they need to iron out that would delay the release past April, or it could have tested perfectly and release tomorrow. Of course, I'm hoping we get it before them, but I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't.

My question was referring to the fact that the GS5 and M8 are running kit Kat and sprint is already advertising them on their website as Spark enabled phones. Currently no other spark phone is running Kitkat except for the N5. I was under the impression that kitkat might have been the reason the N5 is not spark ready. Since older kitkat builds like the one with the .15 radio have a better ability to latch onto B41, I figured maybe Google is still trying to get it right.

So my confusion is more technical than anything else. What exactly does Google need to do to kitkat (other than just enable three LTE bands) that maybe Samsung did to the GS5 or HTC did to the M8 to get them radios to function on Spark. And what was done on the G2 or S4 updates to work on Spark.

My question was referring to the fact that the GS5 and M8 are running kit Kat and sprint is already advertising them on their website as Spark enabled phones. Currently no other spark phone is running Kitkat except for the N5. I was under the impression that kitkat might have been the reason the N5 is not spark ready. Since older kitkat builds like the one with the .15 radio have a better ability to latch onto B41, I figured maybe Google is still trying to get it right.

So my confusion is more technical than anything else. What exactly does Google need to do to kitkat (other than just enable three LTE bands) that maybe Samsung did to the GS5 or HTC did to the M8 to get them radios to function on Spark. And what was done on the G2 or S4 updates to work on Spark.

They don't have to do anything other than enable the bands to be scanned for(to my knowledge). The reason we don't have the update yet is purely because Google wants to roll the update in with other fixes they're pushing out. Instead of pushing an update out to a multi carrier device that only benefits a small portion of the owners.

The G2 is really the most comparable here, as both phones are manufactured by LG, so the radio code is most similar. The delay in pushing out an update might be related to some sort of bugs that popped up during the testing process, but I would have thought whatever adjustments were needed for the G2's radio would be fairly similar for the N5. It certainly could just be that it's done and Google hasn't pushed it out yet because they are waiting to include it in an OTA that includes other fixes as well.

As a developer myself, I can say this is often the case. I might have a bug fixed, but don't want to release an update for just that one bug. You want to make it worthwhile; the Nexus 5 lacking full Spark compatibility only affects a small percentage of Sprint customers at the moment, and an even smaller percentage of Nexus 5 users. There are other things probably higher on Google's priority list (i.e. battery/camera issues) that they want to include.

Just my two cents.. I have no sources or evidence to base any of this on.

-Mike

• Like 5

They don't have to do anything other than enable the bands to be scanned for(to my knowledge). The reason we don't have the update yet is purely because Google wants to roll the update in with other fixes they're pushing out. Instead of pushing an update out to a multi carrier device that only benefits a small portion of the owners.

I think it's a little more than that; I have all bands enabled and have messed with the priorities quite a bit on .15, .17, and .23 radios, and have never caught anything but regular B25 LTE. Plus, if it was that simple, it would have been included in the 4.4.1 or 4.4.2 updates already released, or the initial software update that was handled upon first bootup.

-Mike

• Like 1

I think it's a little more than that; I have all bands enabled and have messed with the priorities quite a bit on .15, .17, and .23 radios, and have never caught anything but regular B25 LTE. Plus, if it was that simple, it would have been included in the 4.4.1 or 4.4.2 updates already released, or the initial software update that was handled upon first bootup.

-Mike

thanks for clearing that one up. Anyway check this out:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/03/26/android-4-4-3-kitkat-release-nexus-5-nexus-4-nexus-7/

-Mike

I'd bet you're right. However my money is still on them wanting to roll it into an update useful to n5 users on every carrier, when it comes to the delay past when the G2 got it's update.

The Spark edition of the GS4 has had KitKat since the end of February, so I highly doubt it was KitKat related at all:

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_and_update_the_software_version_on_your_Samsung_Galaxy_S4/WServiceAdvisory_542_GKB65037?INTNAV=SU:DP:OV:UG:SamsungGalaxyS4:FindAndUpdateTheSoftwareVersionOnYourSamsungGalaxy

Other than that, I would agree with what Mike said about comparing it with the G2. The LG G2 and Nexus 5 were really the only phones that didn't get Spark on Day 1. The one common thing between them is that they are both LG hardware, so we assume that LG may have had some problems getting Spark to work on their hardware. With the G2 being Spark enabled for months now, it's probably as everyone is saying: Google is just waiting on a much bigger change since they have other bugs to fix as well, and the Spark impact for the Nexus 5 is definitely going to be very small, probably only the people here on S4GRU who know about it, and a select few number people out there. Again, though, everything is just assumptions.

• Like 1

About the spark update... 

I think everyone should keep in mind that nobody has confirmed that the spark update is actually part of the 4.4.3 update.  Unless I missed something, it's possible the 4.4.3 update is just going to fix the camera bug and do nothing else.  I really hope that isn't the case, but who knows for certain?

About the spark update... 

I think everyone should keep in mind that nobody has confirmed that the spark update is actually part of the 4.4.3 update.  Unless I missed something, it's possible the 4.4.3 update is just going to fix the camera bug and do nothing else.  I really hope that isn't the case, but who knows for certain?

I seriously doubt that! a point upgrade for just the camera...There is a laundry list of bugs that need squashing, not just updating for camera.

• Like 1

My main point is that there isn't necessarily a spark update coming.it could veryvwell just be bug fixes.

This is also a concern. No confirmation from Google about this Spark tri-band issue. I'm not even sure if Sprint users are on Google's radar. They haven't mentioned anything about it the way they mentioned the camera issues. The only thing I found was this about spark: https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/nexus/WxDfsrJSfO4/vh69Q5T7cdMJ

Do you know how to make that stop? I had VVM on my EVO and I get spammed all the time.

You can call Care and have them re-provision Voicemail on your account, or you could activate Google Voice (and de-activate it again if you don't want it). Make sure you listen to any important voicemail first, as they will be deleted either way.

Now that I ordered my S5 I will probably going to put my Nexus 5 on ebay while it still sells for $350 area and get the Nexus 6. Waiting for this Spark update is frustrating :(

• Like 1

Another thing to think about the g2's spark update had to just work with sprint while the nexus 5 has to work on att tmob and Sprint.

And any other carriers in North America.  The rest of the world has d821.  Google will likely want both models to have the same or almost identical software.