Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Interesting. Seeing how Denver seems to be far behind on the eCSFB issue, it would seem that the .15 baseband would be the preferred one for the area. Any idea if the .17 radio is the same in that respect as the .15?

It is not.  .17 basebands and beyond are subject to eCSFB and therefore will not connect without it.

In theory, if I have enabled all bands of LTE and am in LTE only mode, then I should be able to connect to any LTE site that is online, correct? I'm trying to sample the TD-LTE sites in Denver that are shown as complete in the premiere sponsors map in the Denver area. Earlier when I tried, I got only B25 while driving near completed B26 sites. I have since flashed the .15 radio as it seems that more people have success with this radio. Is there anything else I need to do, or should I be good to go at this point?

Do you mean Band 41? You're not going to be finding any Band 26 in Denver (yet).

• Like 1

Interesting. Seeing how Denver seems to be far behind on the eCSFB issue, it would seem that the .15 baseband would be the preferred one for the area. Any idea if the .17 radio is the same in that respect as the .15?

The .17 radio is as good signal wise as the .15, but like stated above it is subject to ecsfb.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Do you mean Band 41? You're not going to be finding any Band 26 in Denver (yet).

Fark. I hate these band numbering schemes, They have no rhyme or reason. Yes, B41 is what I'm looking for. Wouldn't it just be easier to use layman's terms and speak in MHz vs band numbers? I'm glad you're picking up what I'm throwing up. :)

It is not.  .17 basebands and beyond are subject to eCSFB and therefore will not connect without it.

However, in LTE only mode, it's a moot point, correct? Denver is way behind with eCSFB so I'm only doing this for LTE hunting and mapping purposes, knowing that I am without voice while in LTE only mode.

Fark. I hate these band numbering schemes, They have no rhyme or reason. Yes, B41 is what I'm looking for. Wouldn't it just be easier to use layman's terms and speak in MHz vs band numbers? I'm glad you're picking up what I'm throwing up. :)

Even on the .15 radion and in LTE only mode, I have only been able to connect to B41 once in KC. It didn't last more than a few seconds either. I just don't think the N5 reliably connects to B41 yet. Some markets are better than others for some reason. 

As far as B26 goes though, I have had enormous success connecting to that band with the .15 radio, and B26 as the highest priority in the DATA menu. See the premier thread for details. 

(B41 is easier for me than 25/2600MHz :P  ) 

• Like 1

Just bought the N5 today. Has it received the official Spark update yet?

Nope, much to the sorrow of every n5 owner :'(.

• Like 2

Even on the .15 radion and in LTE only mode, I have only been able to connect to B41 once in KC. It didn't last more than a few seconds either. I just don't think the N5 reliably connects to B41 yet. Some markets are better than others for some reason. 

I just played around with the 15 and 17 baseband radios and noticed some interesting things about them. Neither one connected to a known B41 site that was showing about a -70 signal in the engineering screen, be it with LTE only or the LTE/CDMA mode. The .15 radio did scan every band after each cycle of airplane mode, while the .17 did not. After the initial scan, it would only scan B25 unless you did the PRL trick which is not practical. Also, I noticed that often, while in LTE only mode, with the 15 radio I think it was, if it found no LTE for Sprint, it would park on Band 4 and alternate between two cells and wouldn't scan again until I cycled airplane mode. I find that behavior odd. 

All in all, it's kind of a disappointment. I thought LTE only mode would allow connections to any LTE tower that was broadcasting, but it seems to be more complicated than that. Can we just get this eCSFB issue fixed and the spark update for the N5 rolled out so we can use the device to its potential. Is this a similar situation with other Spark enabled handsets, or is this unique to the N5 because of it's wide band support?

I was running the .23 radio for a while, and could never connect to a Band 41 tower even though I was in Band 41 country. I downgraded to the .15 radio, and I began connecting immediately. I have connected many times since going to the .15 radio.

He said he was done with sprint on his xda thread

Yeah is using another now. But I'm not sure if the NOLA market will be up to par for a while, so customized PRLs may be limited. If Ericsson can kick it into gear and NSN puts a lot of effort in that market then he may come back

So I'm back on my Nexus for good after phone hopping for the last couple weeks and I've come to hate my spigen screen protector on my phone. It feels really nice when it's all cleaned up and what not but once it smudges up it feels like absolute shit. What's the recommendation for a normal screen protector and then are there any recommendations for the glass screen protectors?

So I'm back on my Nexus for good after phone hopping for the last couple weeks and I've come to hate my spigen screen protector on my phone. It feels really nice when it's all cleaned up and what not but once it smudges up it feels like absolute shit. What's the recommendation for a normal screen protector and then are there any recommendations for the glass screen protectors?

From what I've read for the glass ones: its spigen, zagg, and there's a few others(check the XDA thread if you like). They both make anti smudge models and they're a bit thinner than the rest, so they fit with the bumper style cases better.

From what I've read for the glass ones: its spigen, zagg, and there's a few others(check the XDA thread if you like). They both make anti smudge models and they're a bit thinner than the rest, so they fit with the bumper style cases better.

Zagg now makes screen protectors for the Nexus 5? Since when?

Uh idk, it was in a n5 thread I was reading on XDA. I'll see if I can find it again.

Edit: Here's the thread I was referring g too. The Zagg link got removed, I messaged the OP and apparently the person who posted was ripping off zagg but really just reselling cheap ones he bought off eBay through Amazon... Sorry for the confusion!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2610874

Edited by kojitsari
  • Like 1

I got my InvisibleShieldHD protector back in early November when my N5 came in. The Zagg kiosk in my local mall had them.

I definitely prefer the HD version over the regular one. Seems clearer and smoother. Never had a bubble, scratch, or peel issue.

-Mike

How about BestSkinsEver or Xtreme Guard screen protectors?  They are just like the Zagg invisible shield product, but for much less.  Xtreme Guard is the least expensive when on special. They are 85% off right now: http://slickdeals.net/f/6792982-xtremeguard-coupon-85-off-any-screen-or-full-body-protectors-85-off-free-shipping

No Minimum Order with coupon Lucky85

http://www.xtremeguard.com/LG-Google-Nexus-5-Screen-Protectors-p/lg-nexus-5-screen-protector.htm

They also have a "HI-DEF" (Dry Install) product that some people prefer.

Why is it that whenever I run into one of the many spontaneous case/protector discussions I feel like I have stumbled into a condom thread?

AJ

• Like 6