Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Speaking of serial number fails, when I had my iPhone 5 replaced by Apple in October, they said my iPhone should automatically register with Sprint, but something went wrong on their end, and my new serial number never transferred. Good thing I was able to do a device swap online to fix it. The most common device issues are related to numbers not being done right.

Looks like they had the wrong SIM card Serial Number.....fail on their part but easy fix.

Thanks for the help guys!

That happened to me when I activated my G2 at Best Buy. My wife had LTE and I did not. One call to Sprint and LTE popped right up. It seems like unless you know there is something wrong, there is no easy way to know if the SIM is registered properly since 3G works just fine otherwise.

Good thing the fix was so easy for the both of you.

• Like 1

Will I run into any issues if I swap from my nexus 5 to my old GS3 and back again? They had a heck of a time activating it when I first bought the phone so I don't want to screw anything up. The reason I want to do this is because I can't seem to figure out how to flash PRLs on the Nexus 5 and I want to force roam on VZW when I go to Universal this weekend (Sprint is unusable there... Still -__-) hopefully when we get the spark update I won't have that issue if there is Band 41 available over there. Thanks!

Will I run into any issues if I swap from my nexus 5 to my old GS3 and back again? They had a heck of a time activating it when I first bought the phone so I don't want to screw anything up. The reason I want to do this is because I can't seem to figure out how to flash PRLs on the Nexus 5 and I want to force roam on VZW when I go to Universal this weekend (Sprint is unusable there... Still -__-) hopefully when we get the spark update I won't have that issue if there is Band 41 available over there. Thanks!

Another option would be to get one of those day passes from an MVNO that uses Tmo or ATT. The Nexus 5 supports both those networks. And I think ATT became the official cell phone provider for Universal, or was that Disney?

-Luis

Another option would be to get one of those day passes from an MVNO that uses Tmo or ATT. The Nexus 5 supports both those networks. And I think ATT became the official cell phone provider for Universal, or was that Disney?

-Luis

I think it was Disney...  Surprised to hear that Sprint isn't doing okay down there.  They seemed perfectly fine last time I was in the area, but then again I wasn't running any speedtests in Hogwarts.

• Like 1

-Luis

AT&T became the official wireless provider for Disney, who used to be a huge iDEN customer. I read somewhere that AT&T is covering the entire Disney area with a huge network of small cells. I haven't had the chance to try out LTE in Orlando yet, but back in October I had a seriously strong 3G connection everywhere I went in the parks beside a a couple of buildings where I roamed onto Verizon. I am looking forward to seeing how LTE is when I go back later this month. I hope that LG will have the Spark update out by then.

It's probably a eCSFB issue. 4G only towers (purple ones on the sponsor maps) are not hooked up correctly to communicate with the 3G side of the network in non-incumbent markets, so in order to preserve calls and texts going to the phone, tri-band phones (which don't have SVLTE), park on 1x/3G. Robert wrote an article on the wall about it that explains better than me.

This mainly affects Samsung markets. In the majority of Alcatel Lucent and Ericsson markets, everything works just fine, even on 4G only (purple) towers.

I dont know if I believe this or not as there are 4 lte only towers in my area that have the eCSFB problems resolved. Unless Ericsson skips out on reporting that some 3G towers are finished

Your sites do not need to be 3G/4F CSFB to be in place.

• Like 1

Has anyone actually seen the caller ID feature work on their device?  It was such a cool idea (after Google effectively nudered Mr. Number), but all I seem to get from it is the state the area code came from.

I've seen cities pop up on my phone for the caller ID. For the most part I don't get many outside calls, but for the few that I do get, half have showed the city and the other half didn't.

Has anyone actually seen the caller ID feature work on their device?  It was such a cool idea (after Google effectively nudered Mr. Number), but all I seem to get from it is the state the area code came from.

What was it suppose to do?  I briefly saw that feature mentioned somewhere before I got my device but until you mentioned it now I didnt realize it was suppose to be something new. Maybe it only works on GSM providers?

This mainly affects Samsung markets. In the majority of Alcatel Lucent and Ericsson markets, everything works just fine, even on 4G only (purple) towers.

You sites do not need to be 3G/4F CSFB to be in place.

Ah, good to know. Thanks! 

What was it suppose to do?  I briefly saw that feature mentioned somewhere before I got my device but until you mentioned it now I didnt realize it was suppose to be something new. Maybe it only works on GSM providers?

Yeah it's supposed to.  Might be because of the lack of data when a call is coming through on Sprint, but I haven't seen it work on WiFi either.

Has anyone actually seen the caller ID feature work on their device?  It was such a cool idea (after Google effectively nudered Mr. Number)...

Is that a portmanteau of "neutered" and "murdered"?

AJ

• Like 2

Yeah it's supposed to.  Might be because of the lack of data when a call is coming through on Sprint, but I haven't seen it work on WiFi either.

I've seen it work when my Nexus 5 was temporarily on AT&T (long story), but not on Sprint.

I've had it work for me.  When the local Firestone Auto Center called to say my car was ready, their logo was displayed along with their phone number.

• Like 3

So what's this feature all about?

If someone from a known business number (known to Google in some capacity, anyways), it will show up with the business's name and sometimes the business logo when they call you.  Even though the business name is not in your phone book, etc.

It's very neat...when it works.

• Like 1

I've had it work for me.  When the local Firestone Auto Center called to say my car was ready, their logo was displayed along with their phone number.

Had you previously called them or were you on wifi on the time?  I've seen it work on Sprint when I've previously called the company, and my call history already showed their logo and business name before they called me.  I haven't seen it work on wifi, but it seems like it should.

Had you previously called them or were you on wifi on the time?  I've seen it work on Sprint when I've previously called the company, and my call history already showed their logo and business name before they called me.  I haven't seen it work on wifi, but it seems like it should.

Yes, I had called them earlier that day, but they weren't in my phone book.  It was probably cached on my phone when they called me.

If someone from a known business number (known to Google in some capacity, anyways), it will show up with the business's name and sometimes the business logo when they call you.  Even though the business name is not in your phone book, etc.

It's very neat...when it works.

Interesting... haven't seen that yet on my N5 (which is on a AT&T MVNO temporarily during a Sprint site outage) but I don't get many calls anyways.

I have. I called a near by business and it slapped their logo on my screen as like the pictures I have set as contact icons.

Calling out definitely works on wifi... it's the calling in (from a number that you've never called) that seems to be spotty on sprint.  I'm guessing it is impossible on cellular only since there is no data connection when the phone is ringing... but presumably on wifi should work (although i've not seen it).

It only works if you have Simultaneous voice and data, and the Nexus 5 doesn't support either SVDO nor SVLTE on sprint.

Basically you're SOL.

-Luis

P.S. Forgot to mention that it WILL work on wifi though o.o

That's pretty cool. I just called the FedEx and UPS 800 numbers. The UPS one didn't have a picture but the name changed. The FedEx one showed this. Cool stuff!

I love calling restaurants and having a food items pop up as their Caller ID. Unfortunately, when I see the food it makes me hungrier :(

-Luis

• Like 1