Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Well... After stalking this thread and the old Nexus 5 thread, I finally decided to get this phone instead of the G2. I was originally going to wait for my upgrade to be ready in December, but then I learned that the 32 GB is not going to be offered in Sprint stores, and well... I wanted the 32 GB, and a black one at that.

And now that I've waited this long... it's said to leave the warehouse on 11/26. And for sure, they will have the systems in place to hopefully be as painless as possible by then.

• Like 1

So when Sprint uses VOLTE sending voice over data, it still won't work?

VoLTE is a ways out at this point, I don't think any of the current devices support it, other than using a third party app. 

But in that situation, I suppose voice and data would work.... but technically that would just be data ;)

It looks like I just may have.  Sorry about that I could not find the thread. I guess we can delete the old/new one.

The N5 holds an LTE signal better than my GS3 did. I'm right on the edge of coverage and rarely got LTE in my apartment with the GS3, I've held it since I activated my device 30 min ago. Even if it is -113 dBm. ;)

• Like 2

Disappointment # 2 : The price is more expensive than buying the device straight from Google.  This is really no surprise, It appears that Sprint has been charging at least $50 more per device than other carrier for a similar model.  Sprint's price is $449.99 for a 16GB version and no 32GB version.  Google sells the 16GB version for $349.99 and the 32GB for $399.99.

T-Mobile did the same with the Nexus 4. BS imo.

What I wonder is, Sprint subsidizes ~$400 from the ~$600 devices (by offering them for ~$200). Why can't Sprint give the Nexus5 for $0 hence subsidizing $350 (Google Play Store cost). Or going by Sprint's own off-contract cost ($450), why dont they give the Nexus5 for $50 hence subsidizing ~$400 which is the same amount they do for other phones...?

Simple answer is because they can but I wonder if there's a more intricate reason? 

• Like 2

Android Headlines

Nexus 5 on Sprint Will Cost You an Extra $75 for SIM Card

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/11/nexus-5-sprint-will-cost-extra-75-sim-card.html

Can they just come here for reference first....

The writer is running with some incorrect info that one Sprint frontline employee told him.  Poor journalism.

AJ

• Like 4

The writer is running with some incorrect info that one Sprint frontline employee told him.  Poor journalism.

AJ

It's beyond horrible.

Sprint has publicly stated that sims are no charge.

You also just can't "swap" a sim card out of the HTC One, either.

Obviously these guys are hating on Sprint, hard.

• Like 2

T-Mobile did the same with the Nexus 4. BS imo.

What I wonder is, Sprint subsidizes ~$400 from the ~$600 devices (by offering them for ~$200). Why can't Sprint give the Nexus5 for $0 hence subsidizing $350 (Google Play Store cost). Or going by Sprint's own off-contract cost ($450), why dont they give the Nexus5 for $50 hence subsidizing ~$400 which is the same amount they do for other phones...?

Simple answer is because they can but I wonder if there's a more intricate reason? 

I'm sure it has more to do with reviving their bottom line at this point.  

I really wouldn't be so pissed paying full price if it was at least a 32gb device (seeing as we are already paying $50-$100 more anyway.

Now I just have to ask myself if I can live with constantly deleting photos/apps and clearing app/data cache to keep from filling up the paltry 16gb rom (11GB usable? Can anyone tell us)

It's beyond horrible.

Sprint has publicly stated that sims are no charge.

You also just can't "swap" a sim card out of the HTC One, either.

Obviously these guys are hating on Sprint, hard.

Yes, "hating" is seemingly the right word.  The inclusion of the third quarter subscriber figures was completely irrelevant to the issue at hand.  The writers of both articles seek to paint Sprint in a negative light.

I also wonder if the original writer went to a third party Sprint Store.  If they choose, those authorized retailers are probably allowed to charge fees for providing SIM cards, since they otherwise will not make any money for providing the service.

AJ

filling up the paltry 16gb rom (11GB usable? Can anyone tell us)

~12.5GB usable free space out of the box. Down to 11.8GB after installing all of my apps. I listen to music by streaming it from Google Music or Slacker so the 16GB version will be more than enough for me (has always been). Of course, this is an issue that's different for everyone.

• Like 3

Android Headlines

Nexus 5 on Sprint Will Cost You an Extra $75 for SIM Card

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/11/nexus-5-sprint-will-cost-extra-75-sim-card.html

Can they just come here for reference first....

That's why we need a new wall post or a more succinct place to help inform people.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The 50 or 75 they are quoting is the service and repair fee for no tep. But S&R stores have Sims that ring up free and all sprint corprate stores will be getting extras per this announcement the other day. People need to comment that the article is way wrong.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1383683192358.jpg

• Like 3

The 50 or 75 they are quoting is the service and repair fee for no tep. But S&R stores have Sims that ring up free and all sprint corprate stores will be getting extras per this announcement the other day. People need to comment that the article is way wrong.

I politely corrected both authors. My comments were removed.  EDIT: They were gone for a while, now one is back.  ... Confused!

• Like 2

Huh, well, good to know about the no simultaneous data/voice.  I also haven't kept up on tri band devices, and would have been baffled the first time I tried using data in an LTE area while on a call.  My Galaxy Nexus does it, so I just assumed.

The more you know I guess.