HTC M8/New Flagship

Paynefanbro

Is it a good RF performer, or will I just be buying a pretty face that doesn't deliver the goods?

AJ is working on an article that will answer those kinds of questions. :tu:

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The article always takes longer than expected, but it is now up on The Wall:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-362-teaser-how-does-htc-m8-rf-performance-stack-up/

AJ

• Like 10

Thank you AJ! We really appreciate it. I don't care what Robert says, your articles are great.

Well, you know me...

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Just watched the video. I'd suggest it with the volume turned down, because the kid gets annoying quick. I really like the dark grey finish on this one. Now I'm debating on whether to get this on Sprint or move to VZW once my fiancee's contract is up. Glad to see the SD slot return. Hopefully battery size improves, as well as battery life.

Edit - am I one of the few who'd like them to incorporate a fingerprint sensor into the phone? I'd love to lock it via fingerprint like the S5 and iPhone 5S. Much better IMO than the pattern or PIN.

Fingerprint scanner is just another gimmick. I have 4 friends with the 5s and none of them use the fingerprint scanner.

• Like 1

Fingerprint scanner is just another gimmick. I have 4 friends with the 5s and none of them use the fingerprint scanner.

I am not gonna lie, I kinda liked the fingerprint scanner on the Max.  It was fast and it was a lot quicker to unlock my device using it compared to using a pin/pattern unlock and I don't have to worry about someone's prying eyes looking to see what my password is.

• Like 3

I am not gonna lie, I kinda liked the fingerprint scanner on the Max.  It was fast and it was a lot quicker to unlock my device using it compared to using a pin/pattern unlock and I don't have to worry about someone's prying eyes looking to see what my password is.

ditto,I feel the same way. It is useful for those who will use it. My password is generally long so it quickens my time to access my information.

• Like 1

As a iPhone 5S user, I use the fingerprint scanner whenever I don't have my Otterbox Armor on my phone. I'm working on getting a Lifeproof case for my 5S, and then I'll use my fingerprint scanner all the time again.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

As a iPhone 5S user, I use the fingerprint scanner whenever I don't have my Otterbox Armor on my phone. I'm working on getting a Lifeproof case for my 5S, and then I'll use my fingerprint scanner all the time again.

I prefer the ballistic series, they're better than the otterbox and life proof cases(personal experience).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Meh, how am I going to use the fingerprint scanner when I am flipping through engineering screens, changing LTE band priorities, and sending SMS, all while driving?

AJ

I prefer the ballistic series, they're better than the otterbox and life proof cases(personal experience).

I wouldn't mind a Ballistic case if they were waterproof. I tint windows as my everyday job, and water is a big part of said job, so waterproof = security for me.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind a Ballistic case if they were waterproof. I tint windows as my everyday job, and water is a big part of said job, so waterproof = security for me.

Do they not have a waterproof one for the 5s? I know they had one for the 5 when I was still rocking one(well waterproof as in it covers everything other than submersion, which non of the cases stand up to submersion very well if at all).

Do they not have a waterproof one for the 5s? I know they had one for the 5 when I was still rocking one(well waterproof as in it covers everything other than submersion, which non of the cases stand up to submersion very well if at all).

No they don't have a waterproof 5S case. And I don't need full submersion like some do, but it's a nice backup feature.

No they don't have a waterproof 5S case. And I don't need full submersion like some do, but it's a nice backup feature.

I'm guessing that's due to the fingerprint sensor?

I'm guessing that's due to the fingerprint sensor?

That's possible, but life proof and Otterbox have that solved.

I am not gonna lie, I kinda liked the fingerprint scanner on the Max. It was fast and it was a lot quicker to unlock my device using it compared to using a pin/pattern unlock and I don't have to worry about someone's prying eyes looking to see what my password is.

I guess, I should have worded it a little better.

How I use my device, it'd just be an extra gimmick that I could show people, "Look what I can do!"

But, I've never used a password or pattern.

Probably not the best idea, but I don't have the patience to enter in a password or pattern each time I unlock my device.

I have a separate email account I use for financial information and other sensitive data that I don't sync to my phone so I'm at least protected there.

Side note - I'm still undecided if I want to upgrade from the One or not. The most appealing aspects are the (in order of importance) SD Card Slot, obvious hardware improvements, Tri-band...

Really do not like the on-screen buttons, at all. I've always dreaded the day when the capacitive buttons were eliminated... Almost as much as I dreaded when the menu capacitive button was deleted.

I don't know. I think I'll stick it out and wait for the next flagship. Pretty sure this device will still be fast as ever a year down the road.... Hopefully.

Sent from my Rooted and S-off'd HTC ONE running ViperONE 5.5.0

I guess, I should have worded it a little better.

How I use my device, it'd just be an extra gimmick that I could show people, "Look what I can do!"

But, I've never used a password or pattern.

Probably not the best idea, but I don't have the patience to enter in a password or pattern each time I unlock my device.

Well what I do is have my phone set up to where I will have to input my password/fingerprint after 10 to 15 minutes of no acitivity so that If I am constantly using it I won't have to keep unlocking it.

Any chance that a Google Play edition is available right from the start?  I'm guessing "no" but if HTC's back is against the wall it might be an easy way to boost interest in the device, if they were paying attention to how quickly the Nexus 5 sold out at release (yes, I know the N5 price point helps too).  Does HTC need Google's permission to release a "Play" edition that runs vanilla Android or could they do it if they chose to do so?

For those who have used HTC products and Nexus products, are there any advantages the HTC skin/software has over plain vanilla Android?  What are benefits of plain Android, outside of faster updates?

Any chance that a Google Play edition is available right from the start?  I'm guessing "no" but if HTC's back is against the wall it might be an easy way to boost interest in the device, if they were paying attention to how quickly the Nexus 5 sold out at release (yes, I know the N5 price point helps too).  Does HTC need Google's permission to release a "Play" edition that runs vanilla Android or could they do it if they chose to do so?

For those who have used HTC products and Nexus products, are there any advantages the HTC skin/software has over plain vanilla Android?  What are benefits of plain Android, outside of faster updates?

Pure android versus skinned android is all about personal preference.  Out of the box though, usually UI's like sense and touch wiz offer additional features you won't get with stock android.  For me personally I prefer sense than stock and recently htc has been on top of things when it comes to updates but the new launcher that comes with the nexus 5 is a close second.  As far as a google edition M8 I am sure there will be one but the only issue would be that it will only be for gsm carriers and won't compatible with sprint.

• Like 2

Really do not like the on-screen buttons, at all. I've always dreaded the day when the capacitive buttons were eliminated... Almost as much as I dreaded when the menu capacitive button was deleted.

I don't know. I think I'll stick it out and wait for the next flagship. Pretty sure this device will still be fast as ever a year down the road.... Hopefully.

I didn't think I would like them, but having the Nexus 5 for several months now, I've gotten used to them. It's really not that bad. And they change depending on the app, if for some reason it doesn't have an onscreen menu button, it adds it. 

As far as a google edition M8 I am sure there will be one but the only issue would be that it will only be for gsm carriers and won't compatible with sprint.

Is that for sure?  Recent handsets seem to be moving to a single SKU for North American markets.  The Nexus 5 is a great example of this.

Regardless, I'm betting that there will be a Google Play edition but that it won't appear until Google I/O.  I can't wait that long.

Is that for sure? Recent handsets seem to be moving to a single SKU for North American markets. The Nexus 5 is a great example of this.

Regardless, I'm betting that there will be a Google Play edition but that it won't appear until Google I/O. I can't wait that long.

You can bet the only reason there was a single sku Nexus 5 is Google. There's a reason Verizon didn't get a compatible one and Att didn't sell it from their stores.

Those two would rather lock the phone in than have a phone that can be taken to any carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Is that for sure?  Recent handsets seem to be moving to a single SKU for North American markets.  The Nexus 5 is a great example of this.

Regardless, I'm betting that there will be a Google Play edition but that it won't appear until Google I/O.  I can't wait that long.

What other single sku handsets are there?

I assumed that more manufacturers would be moving to single SKU models because it might lower costs for them, but maybe that's not the case.

And I suppose lilotimz is right in that Verizon and AT&T don't want single SKU models since that breaks the lock-in to their network.