HTC M8/New Flagship

Paynefanbro

Im really glad that the HTC one is the best phone i have ever had. If this does not change i will just be keeping what i have now, even if the M8 is better :P

Well, enjoy that HTC One -- it is a beautiful handset -- for the next five years or so because you are not getting another subsidized upgrade.

AJ

That remains to be seen.  But many of us believe that the end of equipment subsidies will eventually bring down the prices on handsets because of true retail competition.

AJ

I really hope this happens sooner rather than later.

Was browsing ebay the other day and came across some cases for the m8, so I decided to order one.  I received it yesterday and compared it to the One Max and the One as far as overall size.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p523/themuffinman75/HTC%20One%202%20tpu%20case/2014-01-28072206.jpg

• Like 1

Was browsing ebay the other day and came across some cases for the m8, so I decided to order one.  I received it yesterday and compared it to the One Max and the One as far as overall size.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p523/themuffinman75/HTC One 2 tpu case/2014-01-28072206.jpg

Looks like it is a slimmer taller device... But will it be a second camera or fingerprint scanner... Hole looks to small for a scanner from eyeing with the other cases... What are your thoughts?

Looks like it is a slimmer taller device... But will it be a second camera or fingerprint scanner... Hole looks to small for a scanner from eyeing with the other cases... What are your thoughts?

There is a rumor that the M8 will have a secondary camera that will give it the ability to adjust focus and zoom in and out or change perspective similar to a Lytro lightfield camera.

• Like 1

I don't even know what to think, when holding it in either hand it is easy to reach the top cut out with either index finger so if it turned out to be a fingerprint sensor then its definitely in a better position than the one on the One Max. 

• Like 1

There is a rumor that the M8 will have a secondary camera that will give it the ability to adjust focus and zoom in and out or change perspective similar to a Lytro lightfield camera.

Yeah, linked to something similar a couple pages back.  Not really sure what to think but it does seem pretty cool if it turns out to be the case.  I just hope it turns out to be very useful and not some gimmick.

Good to know. Either or would be welcome. Can't wait to MWC. Should be some good devices revealed.

And I think i remember reading that those who wanted to switch over from a 2 yr contract with device subsidy would have to pay $15 per month until their contract would have ended if they switch to Framily. This only further backs your point.

So in other words, use your upgrade and have to pay $15 a month or finance your phone and pay it down each month? Bummer.

So in other words, use your upgrade and have to pay $15 a month or finance your phone and pay it down each month? Bummer.

Look at it this way.  If you are sitting on an unused upgrade, you are still paying subsidy every month and getting nothing for it.  How is that worse than paying the $15 per month fee or financing your handset?

AJ

• Like 1

Look at it this way.  If you are sitting on an unused upgrade, you are still paying subsidy every month and getting nothing for it.  How is that worse than paying the $15 per month fee or financing your handset?

AJ

Because I end up paying more. But now that it is becoming apparent that the status quo wont stay that way for to much longer I need to figure out what is going to be the best situation. I also shudder to think about financing for three phones at one time. I think I may just end up buying my phones out right. Especially as "cheap" as the N5 is.

Because I end up paying more. But now that it is becoming apparent that the status quo wont stay that way for to much longer I need to figure out what is going to be the best situation. I also shudder to think about financing for three phones at one time. I think I may just end up buying my phones out right. Especially as "cheap" as the N5 is.

That's what I did. I was on the Everything Data 450, moved to My Way since it was the same price but with unlimited minutes. Now I moved to Framily to save myself the $5 /month. I lose the phone subsidy, but I assumed that it would be going away before I was eligible for my upgrade next January anyhow. I'm planning to purchase a 32GB Nexus 5 this spring/summer once I start to see band 26 or band 41 in my market.

Right.  The elimination of subsidies included in monthly plan costs is a better deal for those who upgrade only every 3-4 years or those -- like Robert and myself -- who upgrade at least once a year.  For those who upgrade every two years on the dot, it may be a wash or even a worse bargain.  Regardless, the new system provides greater flexibility and money saving opportunities.

AJ

There is one downside to switching to the new plans... The fine print: “Streaming video speeds may be limited to 1 Mbps.”  You might get 40Mbit/sec on Spark, but youtube will not look much better.

There is one downside to switching to the new plans... The fine print: “Streaming video speeds may be limited to 1 Mbps.”  You might get 40Mbit/sec on Spark, but youtube will not look much better.

Eh, who cares?  Your priorities may be misplaced.  It is mobile video on a tiny handheld screen.  Worrying about that is like having five diamond Le Bernardin cater your tailgate party.

AJ

• Like 2

Eh, who cares?  Your priorities may be misplaced.  It is mobile video on a tiny handheld screen.  Worrying about that is like having five diamond Le Bernardin cater your tailgate party.

AJ

I prefer Jacques Pepin to personally cater my tailgate parties.

Robert

• Like 1

They reserve the right to throttle video, but they won't necessarily be doing it all the time. h.264 at 720p is approximately 2Mbps.

Back to the phone itself....

Anybody care to speculate how the M8 will stack up against the Samsung Galaxy S5, which appears to be slated for release at MWC?  This is all guessing I know, but does anybody care to speculate?  Pros and cons of each?

HTC needs another solid device otherwise I fear they are sunk.  The One seemed to be a great device, and a lot of reviewers (and store salesmen) seemed to recommend it over the S4, but for some reason the sales weren't there. 

Back to the phone itself....

Anybody care to speculate how the M8 will stack up against the Samsung Galaxy S5, which appears to be slated for release at MWC?  This is all guessing I know, but does anybody care to speculate?  Pros and cons of each?

HTC needs another solid device otherwise I fear they are sunk.  The One seemed to be a great device, and a lot of reviewers (and store salesmen) seemed to recommend it over the S4, but for some reason the sales weren't there. 

Its simple, samsung has literally spent hundreds of millions of dollars over the last few years to spam the airwaves as to why their galaxy devices are the next best thing which has resulted in them being the number 1 android oem.  It has nothing to do with removable batteries, offering stock android or sd card support like everyone and their mama like to always say.  Samsung has spent the money so that the galaxy brand is basically a household name just like apple. HTC simply doesn't have the bank that samsung has to market their devices in a similar way and thats the bottom line.  The One really was a work of art and offered the perfect balance between excellent hardware, build quality and polished software that runs smoothly but unfortunately they are extremely limited by lack funds.  You have to be able to spend money in order to make money.

• Like 3

Samsung has spent the money so that the galaxy brand is basically a household name just like apple. HTC simply doesn't have the bank that samsung has to market their devices in a similar way and thats the bottom line.  

Just to add to this sentence, HTC also doesn't have a brand. Last year it was the One, the year before it was the One X(+,S,V), and the year before that it was the whole Sensation thing. Meanwhile Samsung has had Galaxy S(1-4) and Apple has Iphone(1-5S). If they continue the One moniker it will help them. Companies need to set a brand line that people start getting used to, and it makes it easier for people to identify the next product the company made.

I would love to see HTC succeed, but these are simple facts that any large company needs to know. Hell even Motorola has a brand, and they just got sold off.

Anyways, /rant.

-Luis

• Like 1

Just to add to this sentence, HTC also doesn't have a brand. Last year it was the One, the year before it was the One X(+,S,V), and the year before that it was the whole Sensation thing.

HTC One Two Three.  Oh, that's how elementary it's gonna be.  It's easy, so easy, like taking candy from a baby.

AJ

• Like 2

If legit, I am in.  Do not reinvent the wheel every year.  The HTC One was quite possibly the most immaculately constructed handset ever.  If the sequel follows the same level of build quality, I will buy it -- then check RF performance later.

AJ

• Like 4

I thought the button configuration was the oddest thing about the One, I ended up getting an Optimus G which has a more standard three button layout. Exciting if HTC has seen the light there.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

So second camera it is... I already know I am getting it... No need to tease myself

• Like 1