LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

What kind of backhaul would Sprint need to provide at each site in order to provide 2 or 3 channel carrier aggregation?

About 1 gig.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Which is well within the capacity of fiber optic, and even of some microwave.

So am i reading this correctly. Hesse mentioned in this article

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/4g-lte/sprints-hesse-hd-voice-goes-nationwide-in-july-/d/d-id/708372?_mc=sm_lr

Hesse says that Sprint can also eek more range out of 2.5 GHZ LTE TDD spectrum with "8 transmitters and 8 receivers in one box" (8T8R) at the cellsite and MIMO (multiple antenna arrays) on the device.

Combining this with carrier aggregation -- bonding unrelated radio channels for a fatter pipe -- could give Sprint 120 MHZ of spectrum to play with in the second half of 2015, Hesse said.

"That's two big channels of 60 MHz," he adds. "We're talking 18 months away."

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/4g-lte/sprints-hesse-hd-voice-goes-nationwide-in-july-/d/d-id/708372?_mc=sm_lr

Hesse says that Sprint can also eek more range out of 2.5 GHZ LTE TDD spectrum with "8 transmitters and 8 receivers in one box" (8T8R) at the cellsite and MIMO (multiple antenna arrays) on the device.

Combining this with carrier aggregation -- bonding unrelated radio channels for a fatter pipe -- could give Sprint 120 MHZ of spectrum to play with in the second half of 2015, Hesse said.

One of the editors said this about VOLTE in the comment section "No clue on VoLTE that I could see, although, they've been rolling it out with the Spark updates."

More info from Alcatel-Lucent: "By using 8 receiver paths instead of 2, cell range is increased by a factor of 1.5 – and this difference is emphasized by the fact that the number of sites needed is reduced by nearly 50 per cent. Furthermore, using the beamforming approach in transmission mode generates a specific beam per user which improves the quality of the signal received by the end-user’s device, or user equipment (UE). In fact, steering the radiated energy in a specific direction can reduce interference and improves the radio link, helping enable a better throughput. The orientation of the beam is decided by shifting the phases of the Tx paths based on signal feedback from the UE. This approach can deliver double the cell edge downlink throughput and can increase global average throughput by 65 per cent." - See more at: http://www2.alcatel-lucent.com/techzine/8t8r-radio-modules-transform-lte-tdd-deployments/#sthash.J9uDzS8R.dpuf

More detailed info from dailywireless.org: http://www.dailywireless.org/2013/10/30/sprint-spark-50-60-mbps/

Edited by linhpham2

Well I should have specified the quoted part as well where it says two 60mhz channels bonded together essentially! That is a first I've read of such a thing I've read up to 3x20 for 60, but not 2x60 for 120mhz.

Well I should have specified the quoted part as well where it says two 60mhz channels bonded together essentially! That is a first I've read of such a thing I've read up to 3x20 for 60, but not 2x60 for 120mhz.

Wouldn't 2x60 give you up to 1gbps? Or no

Those 60MHz channels are actually three 20MHz channels aggregated together. I didn't see where he indicated that the 60MHz of bonded channels would be bonded to another 60MHz of bonded channels. In actuality that would be six 20MHz channels aggregated together. I don't know if there's a 3GPP specification for doing that as of yet.

Those 60MHz channels are actually three 20MHz channels aggregated together. I didn't see where he indicated that the 60MHz of bonded channels would be bonded to another 60MHz of bonded channels. In actuality that would be six 20MHz channels aggregated together. I don't know if there's a 3GPP specification for doing that as of yet.

I'm not saying the specifically it exist just the wording is hard for me to understand as it was quoted statement by Hesse "two big fat 60mhz channels"

I found the quote: "Combining this with carrier aggregation -- bonding unrelated radio channels for a fatter pipe -- could give Sprint 120MHz of spectrum to play with in the second half of 2015, Hesse said. "That's two big channels of 60MHz," he adds. "We're talking 18 months away."

Edited by linhpham2

It's not accurate. Dan Hesse is talking about in some markets they can have two separate sets of 60MHz aggregated from three carriers. Not 120MHz combined into one useful aggregated carrier.

I've seen the internal documents. Sprint currently has no plans for channels larger than 20MHz and not planning to aggregate more than three carriers.

LightReading misunderstood Hesse's quote and drew the wrong conclusion. And I can see how it could be misunderstood.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I found the quote: "Combining this with carrier aggregation -- bonding unrelated radio channels for a fatter pipe -- could give Sprint 120MHz of spectrum to play with in the second half of 2015, Hesse said. "That's two big channels of 60MHz," he adds. "We're talking 18 months away."

They don't even have 120 MHz of spectrum in every market, let alone continuous.

One of the editors said this about VOLTE in the comment section "No clue on VoLTE that I could see, although, they've been rolling it out with the Spark updates."

Most things Dan Jones says, especially about Sprint, I take with a pinch of salt. For a columnist of a key telecom publication, he does not come across as very technically minded. Just my opinion from all the articles and comments I've read.

It's not accurate. Dan Hesse is talking about in some markets they can have two separate sets of 60MHz aggregated from three carriers. Not 120MHz combined into one useful aggregated carrier.I've seen the internal documents. Sprint currently has no plans for channels larger than 20MHz and not planning to aggregate more than three carriers. LightReading misunderstood Hesse's quote and drew the wrong conclusion. And I can see how it could be misunderstood.Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

thank you for that clarification that's what I wanted to know!

Who care if sprint show 2.6gb in a lab. Sprint pr and management are so inept. Those type of things are kept in the lab not doing some stupid press conference in Frisco about plans for the future. You keep thing under wrap then when the network is fully upgraded everywhere with the appropriate backhaul then you have a press conference then announce as a today sprint offer 300 megabits down in the top 150 markets in America. That is a called catching the competition by surprise.

You don't show your competition what you plan to do you stab them from behind.

Unfortunately to actually do something like that, you would need at least 2 years, during which time, the competition will not be sitting on their hands.

• Like 1

Who care if sprint show 2.6gb in a lab. Sprint pr and management are so inept. Those type of things are kept in the lab not doing some stupid press conference in Frisco about plans for the future. You keep thing under wrap then when the network is fully upgraded everywhere with the appropriate backhaul then you have a press conference then announce as a today sprint offer 300 megabits down in the top 150 markets in America. That is a called catching the competition by surprise.

You don't show your competition what you plan to do you stab them from behind.

Depending on the day I would tend to agree. And 'stab in the back' is a great way to put it - so ruthless. I love it.

My first thought on the October 2013 announcement was oh how premature.

However, I think it was a worthy announcement however premature. It was about the only positive piece at the time. It has rolled fairly quickly to almost 20 markets. Reported speeds for end of 2015 have already bumped to 180Gbps. I think the new ownership will be aggressive as possible with it - recently claiming a possible rival to cable companies (we'll see).

Sprint has had many firsts in the industry but not too many worthy lately.

This may be the first one in a while and while it wont be experienced nationwide for everyone I think it is recognized as legit and they are the first.

It takes a little, at least a very little if any wind out of the competition's blasting of Sprint.

What did it do for the stock? I havent looked. Could be another reason for premature announcement.

yes it's the .15 radio. And it was nnear Howard. B41 is popping up everywhere in DC

whaaaat...

my old school stomping grounds!

i'm sitting in an office right now west of meridian hill park near euclid & 16th.. in a basement floor no windows..

nexus 5 showing lte @ -116 strength..

yesterday i tested the speeds near columbia heights metro, got under 1MB thrice .. :angry:  

what's this **.15 radio** you type of..?

a baseband modem flash?

whaaaat...

my old school stomping grounds!

i'm sitting in an office right now west of meridian hill park near euclid & 16th.. in a basement floor no windows..

nexus 5 showing lte @ -116 strength..

yesterday i tested the speeds near columbia heights metro, got under 1MB thrice .. :angry:

what's this **.15 radio** you type of..?

a baseband modem flash?

hey my aunt lives around there. Honestly more b25 sites need to come on around there. One warning with the .15 baseband. If the lte site you connect to isn't eCSFB ready your phone won't drop to 1x to take a call. The majority of sites in this area are ready but there are some that haven't had the eCSFB upgrade

hey my aunt lives around there. Honestly more b25 sites need to come on around there. One warning with the .15 baseband. If the lte site you connect to isn't eCSFB ready your phone won't drop to 1x to take a call. The majority of sites in this area are ready but there are some that haven't had the eCSFB upgrade

i had that problem when setting it to lte only, & incoming calls would lock the phone app..

i think going to *mobile network* settings then *system select*   & changing from *home only* to **automatic** fixes it.. well on cdma networks it does..