LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

would this be something they would deploy from the start? Say in cities like boston, ny or wait and come back later?

Likely they will install just one carrier card.  Installing a second and a third carrier card is a pretty easy thing to do and is done at the base station.  No need to climb the tower again to add additional carriers.  No sense in wasting money on equipment sitting at a site getting old until it is needed at a site.  Especially if the current backhaul couldn't support two carriers yet.

Robert

Is there a difference between 1900 and 25/2600?

Meaning if sprint were to acquire 600 would it make sense to sell off the 19 and stay with the 2600 since they have so much of it?

Uh, yeah, that would be like selling your house because you could live in your SUV on your back 20 acres.

AJ

• Like 2

Is there a difference between 1900 and 25/2600?

Meaning if sprint were to acquire 600 would it make sense to sell off the 19 and stay with the 2600 since they have so much of it?

It really depends on how much they win, where they win it and the spectrum screens applied.  It is not a simple to answer question.

Robert

They would not be able to sell off 1900 any time soon even if they wanted, still too many devices depend on it and 'spark' multi-band devices are still growing, besides the fact that there are no 600mhz devices available anyway.

• Like 1

They would not be able to sell off 1900 any time soon even if they wanted, still too many devices depend on it and 'spark' multi-band devices are still growing, besides the fact that there are no 600mhz devices available anyway.

Don't forget that PCS is still a very central band; supported by many carriers, and more importantly- many devices world-wide.  Very easy for other carriers to roam on (1X, EVDO, or LTE).  I doubt Sprint would want to part with that revenue.

• Like 1

Verizon isn't deploying more than one 10MHz carrier in rural areas. And they are not even filling up with more than double the customers. I'm not concerned about Sprint's rural play with two 5MHz carriers as far as capacity. One would probably be enough capacity for 90% of rural sites for many years.

Robert

Very true, capacity usually is it not an issue when between cities. It just that PCS LTE hand off at times when drop to 3g in the middle then get stuck there. Hopefully B26 will help that in some areas but not sure if it would switch you to that though.

• Like 1

Boo to 600 MHz! ;-) Also, T-Mobile picked up some of Verizon's 700 MHz. Not sure where or how much.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I take it that they picked up some or all of their A block? How many MHz is that?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Only rural sites will need to depend solely on the two 5x5 blocks.  Suburban areas around the country will get lot of benefit from BRS/EBS spectrum, even if it's just to take a couple subscribers from the other bands.

As long as the lower to higher band handoffs happen. It seems as though phones have a hard time upshifting. If you're using the connection at the time, forget about any upshift.

• Like 1

Hey I couldn't find answer to this topic so I'm trying new thread. Is virgin mobile using sprint spark? Also sprints and virgin mobile coverage maps say there is no LTE coverage in the Seattle area. Is this true and do virgin mobile customer's get the same service as sprint customers? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hey I couldn't find answer to this topic so I'm trying new thread. Is virgin mobile using sprint spark? Also sprints and virgin mobile coverage maps say there is no LTE coverage in the Seattle area. Is this true and do virgin mobile customer's get the same service as sprint customers? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

As far as I know, there are no current Virgin Mobile devices that support Band 41. But should they release one, I would assume it would. However, there are rumors now that Sprint may jettison the Virgin brand. So there may never be a Virgin Band 41 capable device.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

As far as I know, there are no current Virgin Mobile devices that support Band 41. But should they release one, I would assume it would. However, there are rumors now that Sprint may jettison the Virgin brand. So there may never be a Virgin Band 41 capable device.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Jettison ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So should I have my mom send back her virgin mobile and sign up with Sprint? I kinda already convinced her but she still on the fence. Thank you for the response

If she is willing to do so, I would recommend it. Not just because I don't like Virgin Mobile and their customer service out sourced to India, but your mom would benefit a lot from a Tri-band phone. If she doesn't like android, get her a 5S. At least she will have a dual band phone with 800 mhz LTE and 1900 LTE. Better than just single band. 

• Like 3

She did have the Apple 5s but she might get the g2. I been trying to sell her on Sprint so I think it's working. Of subject really quick. I'm in Denver and the past few days my 3g goes away and lte shows up on debug mode but not strong signal to show in status bar. Also it's been connecting on its own the past couple days. Doesn't stay on long. Does this mean they are testing or getting close to turning lte on? Thanks

She did have the Apple 5s but she might get the g2. I been trying to sell her on Sprint so I think it's working. Of subject really quick. I'm in Denver and the past few days my 3g goes away and lte shows up on debug mode but not strong signal to show in status bar. Also it's been connecting on its own the past couple days. Doesn't stay on long. Does this mean they are testing or getting close to turning lte on? Thanks

My phone does that too. At random moments it'll just connect to LTE. The signal is usually weak out the box but I usually take it with a grain of salt. I like to think that maybe one day they'll just power LTE & I will never have to deal with 3G again. Soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next time check to see what band is. It could be that your phone is simply searching for lte and that's why u see it in debug but not in the status bar or you could be connecting to band 41 but there could be an eCSFB issue so it kicks you off.

And or merge with Boost...

I can't wait to see Boost and Virgin prepaid brands merge.  There is no point to have two separate prepaid brands at this point.  Too much overhead and the funds can better be used for supporting Network Vision project.

• Like 5

Which triband Sprint Smartphones already have "Spark" active out of the box without having to wait for an over the air update? Are there any that are Spark enabled right now? I'm assuming the Nexus 5 is but I wanted to check on this. Also when (rough estimate) will Sprint send the update for the phones that aren't Spark enabled out of the box?

I did a search on several pages but I didn't feel like reading hundreds of pages of threads to find the answer to this so I thought I'd just ask here.

Thanks