SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Mike,

I'm not sure if you want to put any effort into this, but I thought I'd let you know.  Galaxy S4T and I installed CM12 (based on LP 5.0.2).  SCP Pro reports signal strength and carrier, but it is not reading any GCI/PCI/TAC data from the OS.  Not sure if SCP is not reading it or CM12 is not presenting it.

Reset Mobile works fine with the built in root (much faster than TW/SuperSu on KK 4.4.2).

One note, on CM10, SCP read GCI/PCI/TAC from that version of the OS, but the data was all incorrect.

I submitted a diagnostics report.

Mike,

I'm not sure if you want to put any effort into this, but I thought I'd let you know. Galaxy S4T and I installed CM12 (based on LP 5.0.2). SCP Pro reports signal strength and carrier, but it is not reading any GCI/PCI/TAC data from the OS. Not sure if SCP is not reading it or CM12 is not presenting it.

Reset Mobile works fine with the built in root (much faster than TW/SuperSu on KK 4.4.2).

One note, on CM10, SCP read GCI/PCI/TAC from that version of the OS, but the data was all incorrect.

I submitted a diagnostics report.

It's CM12 not Signal Check. Since your on a Samsung phone, only the stock TouchWiz software will allow reading of that info.

It's CM12 not Signal Check. Since your on a Samsung phone, only the stock TouchWiz software will allow reading of that info.

Well shit then ;)  I was hoping as CM is based on AOSP that it would pull the standard radio information from the modem.  Maybe when Samsung releases LP for the S4T, a modem update will help?!?!  Here's to hoping...

Well shit then ;) I was hoping as CM is based on AOSP that it would pull the standard radio information from the modem. Maybe when Samsung releases LP for the S4T, a modem update will help?!?! Here's to hoping...

Nope. Signal check relies on system APIs that do not work properly with CM because of the lack of Samsung proprietary code.

Mike, does this last beta update resolve the status bar icon intermittently flickering when you connect to LTE?  

I see that occasionally, but it's because the actual signal may be coming in and out, or the phone is reporting EV-DO for a brief period during the handoff. The app doesn't try to smooth over the data coming from the phone, so if the connection is going wacky, the app will report it as such. If it's something else, please describe what you're seeing.. I don't recall any issues related to this?

I'm not sure if you want to put any effort into this, but I thought I'd let you know.  Galaxy S4T and I installed CM12 (based on LP 5.0.2).  SCP Pro reports signal strength and carrier, but it is not reading any GCI/PCI/TAC data from the OS.  Not sure if SCP is not reading it or CM12 is not presenting it.

It gets tricky with custom ROMs; it's up to those developers to include whatever might be necessary for the RIL to report valid data to the OS. I am not certain that it requires TouchWiz to do so, but obviously the Samsung enginerrs would have more access to those features than ROM developers. I believe the CM crew has been able to get Samsung devices to report some information in the past, so perhaps they can get it working eventually. I saw your diagnostic report; it was reporting null values for GCI, PCI, and TAC. Go update your version of SignalCheck, you're a couple versions behind.. then send me another report. I've improved the diagnostics significantly in the last couple of versions.

-Mike

• Like 3

Currently in South Korea. Have a Korean Samsung Galaxy Alpha on Olleh's network. Noticed signal check lite does not work over here, highly doubt it, but if you want any info from over here and dont mind hand-holding me thru it I'd be happy to help.

On my S4, this app shows both icons for data and cell services. But on my S6E, only one icon shows up at a time. LTE info when not on a call, and cell service icon only when on the phone. Is this b/c the phone only has one radio that handles both voice and data?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

On my S4, this app shows both icons for data and cell services. But on my S6E, only one icon shows up at a time. LTE info when not on a call, and cell service icon only when on the phone. Is this b/c the phone only has one radio that handles both voice and data?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Yes.

• Like 1

Currently in South Korea. Have a Korean Samsung Galaxy Alpha on Olleh's network. Noticed signal check lite does not work over here, highly doubt it, but if you want any info from over here and dont mind hand-holding me thru it I'd be happy to help.

Lite is still several updates behind, but an update is imminent.. I've been trying to finish wrapping up updates to both Lite and Pro but my "real" job has been keeping me too busy to give the app any attention over the past couple of weeks. Send a diagnostic report (About > Send Diagnostics) and shoot me a PM or e-mail support@bluelinepc.com with any other details you might have. It should work on any device or network, unless the system software is way out of whack and not reporting anything properly to Android.

-Mike

• Like 4

It gets tricky with custom ROMs; it's up to those developers to include whatever might be necessary for the RIL to report valid data to the OS. I am not certain that it requires TouchWiz to do so, but obviously the Samsung enginerrs would have more access to those features than ROM developers. I believe the CM crew has been able to get Samsung devices to report some information in the past, so perhaps they can get it working eventually. I saw your diagnostic report; it was reporting null values for GCI, PCI, and TAC. Go update your version of SignalCheck, you're a couple versions behind.. then send me another report. I've improved the diagnostics significantly in the last couple of versions.

-Mike

This is strange, I'm on the latest from the Google Play Store and I'm part of the beta group, I've always installed the latest and greatest immediately on release. What would cause my version to show as old?

00b545462b8380926cab62989ec57726.jpg

This is strange, I'm on the latest from the Google Play Store and I'm part of the beta group, I've always installed the latest and greatest immediately on release. What would cause my version to show as old?

00b545462b8380926cab62989ec57726.jpg

Meh, I'm still on 4.276b (Apr 10, 2015) I thought that was the latest update for the beta crew.

I'm trying to be patient with the Pro update but I'm getting a little antsy (not part of the beta. Being on VZW barely any towers broadcast a BSL and the app won't log anything unless I enter a user note, and even then the log is filled with Null entries. I have a trip in a few weeks and plan on doing some data collecting along the way.

Also, not sure if this is something you can add for us VZW users like you've done with Sprint is to include the LTE bands (4 & 13). Some towers I'm finding are broadcasting both bands which I found out using LTE Discovery.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by RyanThaDude

I'm trying to be patient with the Pro update but I'm getting a little antsy (not part of the beta. Being on VZW barely any towers broadcast a BSL and the app won't log anything unless I enter a user note, and even then the log is filled with Null entries. I have a trip in a few weeks and plan on doing some data collecting along the way.

Also, not sure if this is something you can add for us VZW users like you've done with Sprint is to include the LTE bands (4 & 13). Some towers I'm finding are broadcasting both bands which I found out using LTE Discovery.

Thanks!

He was working on Verizon band indicators in the beta last I saw.

• Like 3

Meh, I'm still on 4.276b (Apr 10, 2015) I thought that was the latest update for the beta crew.

Yep, that is the latest one.

I'm trying to be patient with the Pro update but I'm getting a little antsy...

I'm antsy too, but I don't like pushing out an update that is one step forward, two steps back. Selfishly, that causes my inbox to explode with hate mail demanding an instant fix!

I have an update just about ready to go, but I've been away for over a week and didn't want to release it and then fall off the grid in case there was an issue. But.. I will be back home this week and will be pushing it out. I didn't want to tease it too early and up the "antsy". The changelog currently on the website should be accurate.

I still do not have a confirmed fix for Alerts on Android 5.0 (5.1 is working) but I may get that done in this update. The duplicate GCI issue that impacts those in Clearwire markets will not be fixed in this version but I hope to push out an update just for that ASAP. That one personally affects me and is driving me crazy.

-Mike

• Like 4

The report that I was replying about was from a couple versions prior to that. You've got the newest one now though, and I see a newer report from you in the queue. I'll take a peek at it this week.

-Mike

Yep, that is the latest one.

I'm antsy too, but I don't like pushing out an update that is one step forward, two steps back. Selfishly, that causes my inbox to explode with hate mail demanding an instant fix!

I have an update just about ready to go, but I've been away for over a week and didn't want to release it and then fall off the grid in case there was an issue. But.. I will be back home this week and will be pushing it out. I didn't want to tease it too early and up the "antsy". The changelog currently on the website should be accurate.

I still do not have a confirmed fix for Alerts on Android 5.0 (5.1 is working) but I may get that done in this update. The duplicate GCI issue that impacts those in Clearwire markets will not be fixed in this version but I hope to push out an update just for that ASAP. That one personally affects me and is driving me crazy.

-Mike

Thanks for the update, Mike. By no means did I mean I was upset that the update hasn't been pushed, but more of an excitement. I've made it this far, I can wait longer. Now I'm still on the hunt for a phone that gets all LTE data. My GS5 doesn't display PCI and the recent HTC One M8 didn't display any useful LTE data other than signal strength on KK or Lollipop. I might try an LG next.

I cannot clear out all the logs

with the three dots  >> Logs >>Clear Data.  

I did import a trusted db if that is a factor.

----------------------

Separately, I forced Signal Check Pro and similar apps to close because I had no need for them to run.  I needed the battery to last longer.  Now that I restarted Signal Check Pro, it did not load the trusted db.  I was slow to figure that out, but I have successfully reloaded the trusted db.

Question for anyone,

I got the lollipop update for my lg g2. I factory reset my device and went back through my apps to reinstall everything and now i have to pay for signal check pro again

It's weird that is my only paid app that did that.

Yes that is odd. Google handles all of the payment and distribution; once you purchase SignalCheck Pro through Google Play, whatever Google account you used to make the purchase will have access to the app. Make sure you are signed into the correct Google account on your device. You'll have to contact Google for more help, as I have no control over that end of things. Sorry!

-Mike