Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

I don't know where to post ,if its not the right place i am sorry. Since couple days every time i make a call it goes into roaming but its show call is connected through 800 band. Location Camden New Jersey.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GuboT6JDLpN1pMUXBVZkVVM1k/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GuboT6JDLpTTc1TFk2bXZNeFk/edit?usp=sharing

FYI, there is an Android bug (or hardware limitation) that prevents the SID/NID/BID being reported from being updated while on a call. That is why SignalCheck hides those values. I haven't tested it on the Nexus 5 or any other tri-band phones, but it affected every device released before it.

I will do some testing with my N5 to see if it is reporting an updated SID/NID/BID in the moment between switching from LTE to 1X and placing the call. This could be part of the issue.

-Mike

So can triband phones prioritize bands 25,26, and 41 through a PRL or user settings?

Or is it network controlled?

Yes and yes.

There is the ability to prioritize Bands in the hidden settings of Android devices.  However, the network has the ability to override that and will if the network determines there is a better place for your device to be connected.  There is no way to overrule the network.  PRL's have no control whatsoever on what you connect to on an LTE network.  The PRL just has a code for every market whether your device is allowed to use LTE or not.  Just a basic yes or no.

Basically, when you set an LTE Band priority in your device, it will scan that band first.  If it finds a channel it can authenticate with, it connects to the network.  After you authenticate, if the network is happy where you are connected, you stay there.  If it decides the channel you are on is more burdened than other channels or bands, it may shunt you somewhere else.

Band priorities just tell the device where to start scanning.  That's it.

Robert

EDIT:  Since Sprint is putting Band 26 as the lowest priority (and rightfully so), they likely will keep the thresholds on that Band pretty low.  For instance, they may set the threshold at 33%.  Once the capacity reaches 33%, the network will start looking for people to shunt to another Band.  That way that Band can be preserved for people who are in a place that Band 26 is all they can connect to.

The network switching automation is actually far more complex than I can explain.  For instance, Band 26 may cross a 33% threshold and the network starts looking for other bands to send users to.  But if the only other band available to a device is Band 25, and it is beyond a maximum threshold (say 90%), it would not shunt over the user on Band 26.  Sprint will probably be doing a lot of fine tuning on this.

Robert

Edited by S4GRU
Added Edit section at bottom
  • Like 13

I know I won't receiving 800mhz for a while because I unfortunately live in an IBEZ area. Will my phone be able to connect to any 800 That is built out in non ibez areas? I've read that phones can "reach" these signals from very impressive distances. I'm just curious if it'll fill out anymore coverage in ibez areas from other towers.

I know I won't receiving 800mhz for a while because I unfortunately live in an IBEZ area. Will my phone be able to connect to any 800 That is built out in non ibez areas? I've read that phones can "reach" these signals from very impressive distances. I'm just curious if it'll fill out anymore coverage in ibez areas from other towers.

Devices will be capable of connecting to any signals they can find. However, it was recently discussed that 800MHz deployment might be held back from sites that are not only physically located within restricted areas like the IBEZ, but also from ones that could broadcast signals that penetrate into these areas.

Restrictions could be in place outside the IBEZ for other reasons, such as unfinished public safety agency rebanding in an area. An example of this was recently documented in Florida.

-Mike

Does anyone know what kind of pings would be considered 3g with fiber backhaul before lighting up the lte side of things?

There is no such thing as a 3G or 4G ping. Latency varies by the distance between the endpoints and the quality/congestion of the network between them.

< 130ms on EVDO and in my experience < 70ms on LTE.

I can't believe you fell for the bait.   ;)

The reason why I say that is I have been on lots of 85-130ms ping EVDO with T1 copper backhaul.  And I have been on LTE with microwave and AAV backhaul with 40-70ms pings.  If it was below 85ms and 40ms pings respectively, I would likely suspect it was on fiber.  But it is not impossible to have AAV backhaul that runs at less than 10ms.  I do at my home.  Runs to Sioux Falls and back in 4ms.   :tu:

Robert

But it is not impossible to have AAV backhaul that runs at less than 10ms.  I do at my home.  Runs to Sioux Falls and back in 4ms.   :tu:

You work those local Sioux too hard, Robert.

271121_det.jpg

:P

AJ

• Like 1

I typically saw pings between 80-100 ms on 3G from the NV towers here. LTE is usually around 30-60 ms here for me. But as Robert said, pings have nothing to do with a type of technology or speed of the backhaul. It's purely how the current conditions in your area at that time react on your network connection. Congestion, signal strength, bandwidth hogs, weather, a geek with a huge radio transmitter or even alien mind control rays can have an effect on your ping time.

...or even alien mind control rays can have an effect on your ping time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA

AJ

Thanks for the info guys the reason I was asking is cause I was getting speeds of 2.1 to 2.5mbs on 3g on my home site. And then all of a sudden the tower went down for a week. Well in that time i was checking on the site and seen some contractors with a ditchwitch or something taking a big roll of cable looked to be a inch or so in diameter put into the ground along the roadway. And then today the site was back up and running. The site has been 3g accepted for a long time 6-9 months and i had recently asked if a site had backhaul if the twc box for backhaul meant anything but was informed there could be more going on with it. So about 2 weeks ago the sight actually started using the nv anntennas because on the debug screen showed a 1 in the middle of the sector id which i think means they are using the nv equipment right. So i was just trying to see if the site would be close to getting lte with these things going on?

It's here, it's here, it's finally here!!! 1x800 SMR from inside my house! Drum roll please:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390076481.193146.jpg

Speeds are horrible:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390076520.369367.jpg

but who cares, it's the first NV action I've ever seen from my house. Here's the kicker, I live within the Canadian IBEZ - yes, the Cleveland market has some funky exception, but this is still exciting for me! I should note that this is on my jailbroken iPhone 5 running Digi's 513 PRL with 800 at the highest priority.

It's here, it's here, it's finally here!!! 800 SMR from inside my house! Drum roll please:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1390076481.193146.jpg

Speeds are horrible:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1390076520.369367.jpg

but who cares, it's the first NV action I've ever seen from my house.

Here's the kicker, I live within the Canadian IBEZ - yes, the Cleveland market has some funky exception, but this is still exciting for me!

Congrats on seeing 1x800, but just a correction. Those speeds are not horrible, for 1x. That is to be expected. 

• Like 5

Congrats on seeing 1x800, but just a correction. Those speeds are not horrible, for 1x. That is to be expected.

Right, horrible in relation to LTE of course. I'm just happy to finally see *anything* within my house. And yes I typically have my wifi connection on, I just wanted to see what the speed was like.

Right, horrible in relation to LTE of course. I'm just happy to finally see *anything* within my house. And yes I typically have my wifi connection on, I just wanted to see what the speed was like.

Luckily, when 800 LTE gets turned on... You'll be set. :-) congratulations!

It's here, it's here, it's finally here!!! 1x800 SMR from inside my house! Drum roll please: attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1390076481.193146.jpg   Speeds are horrible: attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1390076520.369367.jpg   but who cares, it's the first NV action I've ever seen from my house. Here's the kicker, I live within the Canadian IBEZ - yes, the Cleveland market has some funky exception, but this is still exciting for me! I should note that this is on my jailbroken iPhone 5 running Digi's 513 PRL with 800 at the highest priority.

Hey can you point me in the direction as to how to update my PRL. I recently moved from my galaxy s4 to an iphone 5s, and I know we have 800 in my area I received notifications from my s4 when it would connect to it.

Hey can you point me in the direction as to how to update my PRL. I recently moved from my galaxy s4 to an iphone 5s, and I know we have 800 in my area I received notifications from my s4 when it would connect to it.

Check out post #5 in this thread: http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5225-It's-Out!!!!-(iOS-7.x-Jailbreak)/page__view__findpost__p__268388

A bit of a hassle in that you need to jailbreak the phone first and I'm not sure if it works with the 5S yet, but definitely works with the 5.

Check out this link (within a link within a link): http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5225-It's-Out!!!!-(iOS-7.x-Jailbreak)/page__view__findpost__p__268388

A bit of a hassle in that you need to jailbreak the phone first and I'm not sure if it works with the 5S yet, but definitely works with the 5.

I see. Well I was trying this yesterday and no it did not work...

At the risk of annoying everyone on this thread...

Was just wondering if anyone has information on when the CDMA 800 will go live in the Washington DC market.

As I have mentioned in the past, I have picked up CDMA 800 for a few seconds in two different place several months ago.

I have not, however, seen any CDMA 800 anywhere in the Washington DC-Virginia-Maryland area.

Sent from my RCT6378W2

At the risk of annoying everyone on this thread... Was just wondering if anyone has information on when the CDMA 800 will go live in the Washington DC market. As I have mentioned in the past, I have picked up CDMA 800 for a few seconds in two different place several months ago. I have not, however, seen any CDMA 800 anywhere in the Washington DC-Virginia-Maryland area. Sent from my RCT6378W2

It's very much live. I think it is just that the device sees PCS signal and doesn't see the need to switch. I know my home site in NYC has EVDO/LTE and a CDMA800 upgrade but my phone won't connect to 800MHz until there is absolutely 0 signal.