Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

How can u tell when u are on smr 800 as opposed to the other bands

You can use the app posted above SignalCheck (consider the pro version, it is awesome) or use the debug screen. Looks like you have a EVO Shift, open up the dialer and try ##DEBUG# .... if that works choose 1X Engineering and look at SID and Band # you are connected to
  • Like 1

Tk u need to update actually on iphone5 now

To enter the engineering screen on the iPhone, from your phone app type *3001#12345#* then call. I can't speak to the engineering screen when you have an LTE connection because its completely different and I haven't been in an area that has LTE yet (at least not long enough to mess with the engineering screen). But when you have a 3G connection you'll see two option to choose from: 1x and EVDO. For some reason the 1x screen on the iPhone 5 does not list all of the line item data (whereas on the 4s it shows the channel and frequency for your connection), so the only way I know of to tell if you're on an SMR connection is if your SID reads 22xxx.

I've been out of touch for a couple of weeks. But I saw there were some new PRL's. I went and updated mine on the GNex. It went from 25012 to 25013, for what it's worth.

State: idle

SO:

Channel: 350

Band Class: 1

Not sure if those are useful or not.

:(

shucks

Also the stock PRL doesnt scan 800smr in the New Orleans market yet either. You will have to write the one of the ones in the sponsor area that does.

Sent from my little Note2

Alright got the LG Optimus G and Ive got the 25013 PRL. Now I am in Memphis, TN and im hoping that this means I m getting 800 in my area. Question is this PRL given to the phones that will support 800SMR or is the handed out per region?

Well im hoping for my tower being that it used for everyone within a 5 square mile area. That they approve 800 soon. I may be wrong but i thought i read somewhere that they turn it on sometimes before it is fully approved through Sprint. I may have drummed that up myself just out of pure want, so correct me if I am wrong.

I don't believe the iPhone will show you, the engineering screen sucks on it for 1x.

I think it's something wrong with 6.1.2 and the 5. Maybe iOS 7 will fix that.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Yea, I may have jumped the gun a little. Sprint took away my 800mhz goodness this weekend and I'm back on 1900. I am assuming they were just testing it last week and getting downtilt measurements etc. However, the testing I did get to do, there were absolutely ZERO dropout zones that I could find in Columbus, IN. The 3 major dropouts I had at work were all filled with a completely usable signal, at worst dropping to around 98dBm in a stairwell. I even made calls upstairs and continued all the way into the basement without a single hiccup or breakup. It was a crystal clear call.

Here's hoping they turn it back on again soon...I miss it.

• Like 3

Yea, I may have jumped the gun a little. Sprint took away my 800mhz goodness this weekend and I'm back on 1900. I am assuming they were just testing it last week and getting downtilt measurements etc. However, the testing I did get to do, there were absolutely ZERO dropout zones that I could find in Columbus, IN. The 3 major dropouts I had at work were all filled with a completely usable signal, at worst dropping to around 98dBm in a stairwell. I even made calls upstairs and continued all the way into the basement without a single hiccup or breakup. It was a crystal clear call.

Here's hoping they turn it back on again soon...I miss it.

Well the good thing is that you were able to experience what the coverage will be like. Now you'll have your expectations level set.

When do towers get 1x Advanced? With 800Mhz or when a tower os 3G upgraded?

I believe when the tower is upgraded to Network Vision, it should have the 1x Advanced carrier card installed at the BTS. The big question is what advantage did Sprint decide to implement between 4x capacity or 70% more coverage?

IMO, Sprint should opt for the 4x capacity so that they can reduce the number of 1x carriers to conserve spectrum and the fact that the cell towers are optimized for 1900 MHz spacing already. I guess people can argue that there can be some areas where the 70% coverage would be the better option than the 4x capacity. Sprint should only have to deploy one 1x Advanced carrier at 800 and 1900 MHz with 4x capacity enabled on each and the saved spectrum should be invested into more EVDO and LTE carriers.

I believe when the tower is upgraded to Network Vision, it should have the 1x Advanced carrier card installed at the BTS. The big question is what advantage did Sprint decide to implement between 4x capacity or 70% more coverage?

IMO, Sprint should opt for the 4x capacity so that they can reduce the number of 1x carriers to conserve spectrum and the fact that the cell towers are optimized for 1900 MHz spacing already. I guess people can argue that there can be some areas where the 70% coverage would be the better option than the 4x capacity. Sprint should only have to deploy one 1x Advanced carrier at 800 and 1900 MHz with 4x capacity enabled on each and the saved spectrum should be invested into more EVDO and LTE carriers.

I definitely hope they have 4x capacity on all 800 carriers. We want add many people as possible to be able to use that. In rural areas I think 70% more coverage would be much better suited. 4x capacity would be crazy over kill in those areas unless they are severely spectrum constrained.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

All right here are some questions i have...

I'm using the SignalCheck Lite app, and it lists my 1xRTT RSSI @ -92 , while my EV-DO is listed at -97 is it possible i have 2 different towers, 1 for 1X and a different for EV-DO? If not, why the difference in signal strength? Does Sprint have EV-DO deployed on all of its towers currently?

Also, assuming i was connecting to a 800 SMR tower for both 1X and LTE...would i have *roughly* the same signal strength for both?

What is also on my mind is that Sprint seems to have more issues with obtaining signals versus other wireless providers...how is a Tri-Band device going to perform versus a single or dual band device? wont there be more issues with trying to connect to the cell signal? Will most towers only get 2 bands?

It bugs me that your smartphone experience can differ greatly between device brands on the same network.

I'm using the SignalCheck Lite app, and it lists my 1xRTT RSSI @ -92 , while my EV-DO is listed at -97 is it possible i have 2 different towers, 1 for 1X and a different for EV-DO? If not, why the difference in signal strength? Does Sprint have EV-DO deployed on all of its towers currently?

You can be connected to three different sites at once, 1 for 1x, 1 for EVDO and another for LTE.

Also, assuming i was connecting to a 800 SMR tower for both 1X and LTE...would i have *roughly* the same signal strength for both?

Not sure but 1x will likely be more usable.

What is also on my mind is that Sprint seems to have more issues with obtaining signals versus other wireless providers...how is a Tri-Band device going to perform versus a single or dual band device? wont there be more issues with trying to connect to the cell signal? Will most towers only get 2 bands?

PCS 1900 spectrum is the bread and butter for Sprint. It offers high capacity at the cost of (or due to the benefit of) high site density. The drawback to its use in the LTE build out is because it has such a high site density it takes a while to build out. Verizon and AT&T use 700 MHz spectrum which due to its lower frequency travels much further and has a low site density. For example, if a town requires 8 sprint PCS 1900 sites to cover it effectively, it may only require 2 or 3 Verizon 700mhz sites to cover the same area. Crews work at the same speed regardless of provider so you can see why Sprints build out takes longer.

Later this year Sprint will use its 800 MHz spectrum for LTE to get that same low band spectrum benefit. Because Sprint plans to use more sites with low band spectrum than vzw and ATT you should see better signal with Sprint than other providers in the same market areas served.

It bugs me that your smartphone experience can differ greatly between device brands on the same network.

That's just a product of the device OEMs

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

lynyrd, please fix your quote/response.

AJ

• Like 2

I'm going to try to answer all of your questions as quickly as possible.... Yes you can connect to two different towers for different signals. Your phone will usually choose there one that is less congested.

Roughly the same signal or 1X and LTE, but I would expect LTE to be a little worse. Since it's a much more complex signal it degrades quicker.

A tri-band device should be far superior to others. Mostly because it has more usable signals to choose from. Sprint normally operates on the 1900mhz frequently which doesn't travel as far as lower frequencies so that's why they seem to have more trouble getting a signal, unlike Verizon or ATT. However since Sprint can user their 800mhz frequency with tri-band devices soon their network will be superior to others. Most towers will get 800mhz.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I am due for an upgrade now and was looking for some advice. I hear lots about the tri and dual band LTE devices. I was wondering if you think that I should just go ahead and upgrade even if the next big device (HTC One or S4) doesn't support it? And if you think I should wait, when do you think sprint will start selling these mysterious dual and tri band devices?

I am due for an upgrade now and was looking for some advice. I hear lots about the tri and dual band LTE devices. I was wondering if you think that I should just go ahead and upgrade even if the next big device (HTC One or S4) doesn't support it? And if you think I should wait, when do you think sprint will start selling these mysterious dual and tri band devices?
the best guess is 2nd half of this year. Sprint IS deploying 1900Mhz LTE right now and hasn't yet begun to deploy 800 and won't until iDEN is shut down in June. So 1900 is the only one you'll be using in the near future regardless. 800 CDMA 1xAdvanced should be out before LTE and already is in some places... Devices already support that

I guess what I'm saying is- it doesn't matter

EDIT: Removed mistaken reference to EV-DO.

Edited by MacPCS
  • Like 1