Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Just to add some new info to the fire, Sprint has (or at least had, Sunday morning) at least some 1X active on channel 526 in Newborn, Ga, east of Atlanta, although you'll need a custom PRL to use it.

• Like 3

Just to add some new info to the fire, Sprint has (or at least had, Sunday morning) at least some 1X active on channel 526 in Newborn, Ga, east of Atlanta, although you'll need a custom PRL to use it.

Thanks for the report. This confirms our examinations of internal Sprint documents last Spring that indicated Sprint could not deploy on SMR 476 in SouthernLINC markets, but would deploy on SMR 526 instead.

AJ

• Like 4

How many voice carriers are typically being broadcasted in any given market? Any rough guess or generalization will do.

Just to get of perspective on how much one carrier of 1xA 800smr is going to give us with its 4x increase in capacity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

How many voice carriers are typically being broadcasted in any given market? Any rough guess or generalization will do.

Just to get of perspective on how much one carrier of 1xA 800smr is going to give us with its 4x increase in capacity.

The number of CDMA1X carriers varies a lot from site to site and market to market, so there is no generalization. Furthermore, the CDMA1X Advanced "4x increase in capacity" is a platitude that should not be repeated so often because it does not really hold true.

AJ

The number of CDMA1X carriers varies a lot from site to site and market to market, so there is no generalization. Furthermore, the CDMA1X Advanced "4x increase in capacity" is a platitude that should not be repeated so often because it does not really hold true.

AJ

I apologize, while I'm aware that the capacity increase was a best case scenario, I didn't realize it was more or less untrue. Was just trying to get an idea of how the single voice carrier on smr would hold up.

Thank you though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I apologize, while I'm aware that the capacity increase was a best case scenario, I didn't realize it was more or less untrue. Was just trying to get an idea of how the single voice carrier on smr would hold up.

No need to apologize. The "best case scenario" for CDMA1X Advanced capacity increases just does not bear out in the real world. It relies upon full implementation of CDMA1X receive diversity and 4GV vocoder. But you will not find full implementation among all Sprint handsets.

My theory, which I put forth about six months ago, is basically this: Sprint should move all postpaid accounts to idle on the one CDMA1X 800 carrier. Outside of stadium environments, it should have enough access/paging channel capacity to support all subs. For traffic channel capacity, though, the network will have to move calls periodically to CDMA1X 1900 carriers as needed and as propagation permits.

As for prepaid and MVNOs, keep those accounts exclusively on the CDMA1X 1900 carriers. They are not paying for 800 MHz.

AJ

• Like 7

No need to apologize. The "best case scenario" for CDMA1X Advanced capacity increases just does not bear out in the real world. It relies upon full implementation of CDMA1X receive diversity and 4GV vocoder. But you will not find full implementation among all Sprint handsets.

My theory, which I put forth about six months ago, is basically this: Sprint should move all postpaid accounts to idle on the one CDMA1X 800 carrier. Outside of stadium environments, it should have enough access/paging channel capacity to support all subs. For traffic channel capacity, though, the network will have to move calls periodically to CDMA1X 1900 carriers as needed and as propagation permits.

As for prepaid and MVNOs, keep those accounts exclusively on the CDMA1X 1900 carriers. They are not paying for 800 MHz.

AJ

I love it!

Now will they implement such a theory?

I love it!

Now will they implement such a theory?

Early returns in Chicagoland and Waco indicate "yes" -- or, at least, "maybe."

AJ

• Like 1

I know a guy who knows a guy who's cousin's friend can look at it.

In the bayou, that "guy" would be your grandmother, right?

:P

AJ

Cool.. nice to see 2 things. 800SMR and they finally fixed the 3G roaming that has been messed up in with CSpire in one of their SIDs for YEARS. I've even tried to open a ticket on that a while back but I'm sure it fell on deaf ears.

-Adds-

Geo:2 SID/NID 22431/65535 Sprint Nextel - Auburn CA; Bakersfield CA; Fresno CA; Gardnerville NV; Modesto CA; Redding CA; Sacramento CA; San Francisco CA Added with:

Pref RoamInd:None EVDO-Enabled:Yes

1X: S/476 S/526

EV-Scan: Sprint(0084:0AC0) P/25 P/50 P/150 P/475 P/550 P/625 P/650 P/375

• Like 2

Cool.. nice to see 2 things. 800SMR and they finally fixed the 3G roaming that has been messed up in with CSpire in one of their SIDs for YEARS. I've even tried to open a ticket on that a while back but I'm sure it fell on deaf ears.

-Adds-

Geo:2 SID/NID 22431/65535 Sprint Nextel - Auburn CA; Bakersfield CA; Fresno CA; Gardnerville NV; Modesto CA; Redding CA; Sacramento CA; San Francisco CA Added with:

Pref RoamInd:None EVDO-Enabled:Yes

1X: S/476 S/526

EV-Scan: Sprint(0084:0AC0) P/25 P/50 P/150 P/475 P/550 P/625 P/650 P/375

So SMR has been added to the official PRL? I wonder whats in my 55012 PRL...

So SMR has been added to the official PRL? I wonder whats in my 55012 PRL...

The 25xxx series has had 800smr for quite a while in two SIDs. Later Baltimore was added and now this one.

55xxx does not have a new one yet.

Sent from my little Note2

The 25xxx series has had 800smr for quite a while in two SIDs. Later Baltimore was added and now this one.

55xxx does not have a new one yet.

So now SMR is enabled in Chicago, Baltimore and areas of CA?

Close. It was Chicago and DFW. Then Baltimore and now north CA.

Ah, got ya. I'm patiently waiting to see when it gets enabled in Shentel territories as they're quite far along in their build-out.

Ah, got ya. I'm patiently waiting to see when it gets enabled in Shentel territories as they're quite far along in their build-out.

I have the proper PRL on my phone for 800 SMR and am in Shentel territory, but no signs of it being active yet anywhere I travel. I have seen the phone search for it in a no signal area.(watching the search in DEBUG)

Interesting. If I interpret this correctly, it seems they'll be starting NV upgrades in central valley region and doing CDMA 1xA rollout instead of waiting around. I do know for a fact that nextel decomissioning hit most of the region back in late september through october so it wouldn't be too hard to deploy that when they do NV upgrades.

Well, other than that... yay!! A reference to northern cali at last!

Nvm...

The SF Bay market has CDMA 800 sites going active. This PRL is activating it for SFO. The Central Valley and Nevada CDMA 800 ability is incidental, not because work is underway there.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

I actually corrected myself after I reread that a few times, hence I crossed it out. I'll expect nothing and be happy when something happens.. Good to hear the Bay actually have 800 going active. Thought it was mainly out in the east and midwest still. Meh. Those lucky bay folks.

The SF Bay market has CDMA 800 sites going active. This PRL is activating it for SFO. The Central Valley and Nevada CDMA 800 ability is incidental, not because work is underway there.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Is it mostly the SF Bay market or are we seeing it in the South Bay too?