Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

I am due for an upgrade now and was looking for some advice. I hear lots about the tri and dual band LTE devices. I was wondering if you think that I should just go ahead and upgrade even if the next big device (HTC One or S4) doesn't support it? And if you think I should wait, when do you think sprint will start selling these mysterious dual and tri band devices?
. Just wait for the right device. Anything new with the next two months will not have tri band. If you want 4G LTE for Sprint, look on ebay

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I am due for an upgrade now and was looking for some advice. I hear lots about the tri and dual band LTE devices. I was wondering if you think that I should just go ahead and upgrade even if the next big device (HTC One or S4) doesn't support it? And if you think I should wait, when do you think sprint will start selling these mysterious dual and tri band devices?

Well it's always a better decision to wait. If voice coverage is what matters to you then you might as well upgrade now, since most of the newer handsets support 800mhz smr. Should you upgrade now you could do the Bestbuy buy back option if you decide you want to pay a little more out of pocket for a newer phone before your next upgrade.

Well it's always a better decision to wait.

Not really. Your monthly bill continues to contain subsidy recapture, even though you have paid off your ~20 month device subsidy. In all honesty, you should consider using your upgrade ASAP toward the most in demand new device, then selling it if it does not meet your desired specs.

AJ

• Like 1

the best guess is 2nd half of this year. Sprint IS deploying 1900Mhz LTE right now and hasn't yet begun to deploy 800 and won't until iDEN is shut down in June. So 1900 is the only one you'll be using in the near future regardless. 800 CDMA and EV-DO should be out before LTE and already is in some places... Devices already support that I guess what I'm saying is- it doesn't matter

Just to clear up one thing, Sprint won't be deploying EV-DO on 800MHz. Only CDMA and LTE.

Not really. Your monthly bill continues to contain subsidy recapture, even though you have paid off your ~20 month device subsidy. In all honesty, you should consider using your upgrade ASAP toward the most in demand new device, then selling it if it does not meet your desired specs.

AJ

I meant it terms of getting the newest and latest device lol. There is always something better just a short ways out.

I definitely hope they have 4x capacity on all 800 carriers. We want add many people as possible to be able to use that. In rural areas I think 70% more coverage would be much better suited. 4x capacity would be crazy over kill in those areas unless they are severely spectrum constrained.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yes I agree. In rural areas, Sprint should take advantage of the 70% bonus coverage option instead of the 4x capacity. Sprint should understand which areas it should take advantage of the 4x capacity and which areas should take advantage of the 70% bonus coverage. Right now we don't have any concrete evidence that Sprint is doing either.

So I was on a call on 800 and drove down the highway that doesn't have NV and the call dropped so does that mean calls won't transfer to a pre NV tower

If you're on a call on 1xA on 800mhz, you won't be able to hand off, since legacy non-NV towers do NOT have 800mhz deployed.

If you are in an area that already has LTE and you are due for an upgrade don't wait around for 800MHZ to come online, go get whatever phone you like right now and enjoy some super fast data. There probably won't be any dual/Tri band devices till 2nd or 3rd QTR of this year and it could be late 2013/early 2014 before we see 800 LTE enabled on the network.

If you're on a call on 1xA on 800mhz, you won't be able to hand off, since legacy non-NV towers do NOT have 800mhz deployed.

No, inter frequency hard handoffs are possible. The VZW network has to deal with them all the time, since VZW runs CDMA1X 850/1900 in many markets.

AJ

If you are in an area that already has LTE and you are due for an upgrade don't wait around for 800MHZ to come online, go get whatever phone you like right now and enjoy some super fast data. There probably won't be any dual/Tri band devices till 2nd or 3rd QTR of this year and it could be late 2013/early 2014 before we see 800 LTE enabled on the network.

I got my EVO LTE in December and will likely eat most of the cost for a new device whenever there is an HTC One (or similar) variant that supports 800 LTE and/or 2500 LTE.

No, inter frequency hard handoffs are possible. The VZW network has to deal with them all the time, since VZW runs CDMA1X 850/1900 in many markets.

AJ

It must be only new equipment that can hard hand off then I guess but I should say the tower I use is not listed on the map as 800 accepted.

AJ

Didn't Robert report successful SMR to PCS handoffs of voice calls in his testing in Kansas or Texas? I know that I run into hard PCS to PCS handoffs that drop calls going from NV to legacy in West Michigan, so I'm going to guess that is what you are seeing.

AJ

Yes, but we're referring to legacy equipment vs new NV equipment, then you also have the difference in local OEM of the equipment.

Ok.

Thank You for your help.

I am just going to get whichever device I like better when they release and enjoy what is there now!

• Like 1

Yes, but we're referring to legacy equipment vs new NV equipment, then you also have the difference in local OEM of the equipment.

Right, but your previous reply indicated that the reason why Network Vision CDMA1X 800 could not hand off to legacy CDMA1X was the lack of SMR 800 MHz. The handoff incompatibilities, where they exist, are deeper in the protocol. They are not due to inter frequency hard handoff.

AJ

• Like 1

Right, but your previous reply indicated that the reason why Network Vision CDMA1X 800 could not hand off to legacy CDMA1X was the lack of SMR 800 MHz. The handoff incompatibilities, where they exist, are deeper in the protocol. They are not due to inter frequency hard handoff.

AJ

Ahh, thanks for the clarification.

Anyone know when sprint will be deploying CDMA 800 in Florida? I think there's one active site in Orlando but it looks like it's not expanding anytime soon.

Also, what is the procedure to activating CDMA 800? If my local site has LTE 1900 active, will those RRUs support CDMA 800 with a flip of a switch or does Sprint need to have them tamper with the panels more?

Only reason being is I live close to my work and at work I have great reception outside but inside I'm usually out of a mobile signal. While my company does offer WiFi which I use regularly, my mobile network is lacking and I often miss calls and texts. CDMA 800 I think would fix this for me and hence why my curiosity led me to post these questions. I think I heard nextel will be officially shut down in June. Is that when 1x advanced deployment will really pick up?

Most full build sites have a 800smr RRU installed. It has also been found that the Ericsson RRUs are dual tech capable with a firmware upgrade. Meaning 800 lte and cdma at the same time. Now what has to be done in the cabinets, I do not know that side of things unfortunately. I assume sone sort of line card has to be installed.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 2

This may have been asked before, if so please forgive me, but at what point is an NV tower actually broadcasting 1xA? Only after 3G upgrades or on every upgraded tower?

This may have been asked before, if so please forgive me, but at what point is an NV tower actually broadcasting 1xA? Only after 3G upgrades or on every upgraded tower?

Really unknown. I know of a site near me that has legacy doing 1x and NV doing EVDO. No 4g from it yet. The only reason I know is due to a PN mismatch between the two.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 1

Really unknown. I know of a site near me that has legacy doing 1x and NV doing EVDO. No 4g from it yet. The only reason I know is due to a PN mismatch between the two.

Just a quick clarification, how do you know that the PN mismatch is due to Network Vision? Over the years, I have encountered a few rare sites that use different PNs for CDMA1X and EV-DO. But I have not encountered any PN changes associated with Network Vision.

AJ