Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

800 mhz is back up here after not seeing it for a couple weeks. Went over to a relatives house this evening where I usually roam on Verizon on 1900, but had a nice -98ish dbm signal on 800. This would be an 8.34 mile link according to Google Earth. Before, I could sometimes coax a 1900 signal from that same tower (only tower in range), but it'd be too weak to hold for more than a minute or so.

That is GREAT to hear!

That is not a simple question to answer. For CDMA1X data, the most common (or, seemingly, the only permitted) radio configuration is RC3, which permits a max transfer rate of 153.6 kbps (oft quoted as 144 kbps). At the max rate, RC3 precludes use of one quarter of all codes in the Walsh tree. In plain English, it takes up one quarter of the capacity of the CDMA1X carrier. But RC3 does not operate at max rate unless capacity is available.

That is the nutshell answer. Feel free to ask follow up questions.

AJ

So does that mean for all of the data users on the carrier, 144kbps is available? Or could four users each get 144k?

So does that mean for all of the data users on the carrier, 144kbps is available? Or could four users each get 144k?

The latter.

AJ

That sounds concerning if people attempt to do audio streaming on 1x. Are there any radio schemes that improve on that bandwidth?

Yeah, worry not. Much of that traffic will get shunted to PCS 1900 MHz in some way, shape, or form.

AJ

That sounds concerning if people attempt to do audio streaming on 1x. Are there any radio schemes that improve on that bandwidth?

Just call someone and have them put their phone up to the radio... perfect streaming over 1X.

• Like 7

Just call someone and have them put their phone up to the radio... perfect streaming over 1X.

Have you ever heard music over a QCELP or EVRC vocoder? Let us just say that the inherent voice optimization and noise reduction do not do any favors to music reproduction.

AJ

• Like 1

Have you ever heard music over a QCELP or EVRC vocoder? Let us just say that the inherent voice optimization and noise reduction do not do any favors to music reproduction.

AJ

Does Sprint's hold music count?

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 3

AJ

Oh AJ, the resident S4GRU kibosh'er of dreams.

Does Sprint's hold music count?

Yep, hold music is the quintessential example -- though, it may be a stretch to call it music any longer.

Compare to MP3 or AAC. A low bit rate file still runs 32-64 kbps per channel. EVRC averages something on the order of 5 kbps per channel. It just goes to show what a remarkable job these vocoders do precisely because they are not audio codecs. They are optimized to take advantage of the characteristics and redundancies inherent to voice.

AJ

• Like 2

That is not a simple question to answer. For CDMA1X data, the most common (or, seemingly, the only permitted) radio configuration is RC3, which permits a max transfer rate of 153.6 kbps (oft quoted as 144 kbps). At the max rate, RC3 precludes use of one quarter of all codes in the Walsh tree. In plain English, it takes up one quarter of the capacity of the CDMA1X carrier. But RC3 does not operate at max rate unless capacity is available.

That is the nutshell answer. Feel free to ask follow up questions.

AJ

Will it restrict bandwidth needed for calls while a data session is in progress? In other words, it will start restricting bandwidth and killing data sessions if the data sessions are already in progress?

Will it restrict bandwidth needed for calls while a data session is in progress? In other words, it will start restricting bandwidth and killing data sessions if the data sessions are already in progress?

"We're sorry, your call could not be completed as dialed due to too many people streaming radio at 128kbps. Please try again later."

• Like 3

Yes. This has always been the case.

• Like 1

Now that 1X 800mhz has been widely deployed in Chicagoland, has anyone else in the area experienced an increase in delayed and duplicated sms text messages?

This seems to affect messages coming to and from my gs3's which are on prl 25012, and are now usually connected via 800mhz.

I think you misunderstood my post. I included the prl for info only. 800smr has been continuously available in suburban and exurban Chicago only recently, and is easily confirmed by the sid. My question was whether anyone else, when connected to 800mhz, was seeing glitches in sms messaging. I had many messaging problems a few months ago when 3g NV was being turned on, and then for a while, no problems, and now with the increased availability of 800, more problems.

Basically if you look at the images of the numerous network vision panels posted around here, it's quite simple. The basic NV panel is 2 1900mhz on opposite sides while the 800mhz is squashed in the middle between the two. The 800mhz is not hooked up yet but everything is already there. All you need to do is go back to the towers and phsyically hook it up and do a few "magical" things and it's up and running. Should be much quicker than completely replacing all the old panels, dig up the T1 lines and get the fiber lines all set up, and replacing the old / outdated / inefficient hardware on sites. It's like 6 old boxes to 1 compact boxes.

In short, much easier/faster than the initial deployment.

What about GMO sites? How long will it take Sprint to have the selective Gmo site panels changed? is this all they have to do is to change panels out? and how quick will it be before they start this after NV competition?

There is basically too much in variables in a GMO to say anything about how they're upgrading these sites. They're GMOs for a reason after all. It could be A) Insufficient backhaul without significant costs, B) the actual cell site cannot support the mounting of the new antennas without significant work being done, or 3) local owners presenting problems.

GMOs are going to be the last ones to be worked on after they're done doing the basic things. So the earliest Sprint could upgrade these to full builds are going to be in 2014 most likely. Standard NV deployment time frame applies but with the added effect of engineering the sites for the upgrades or relocating it to another locale.

There is basically too much in variables in a GMO to say anything about how they're upgrading these sites. They're GMOs for a reason after all. It could be A) Insufficient backhaul without significant costs, B) the actual cell site cannot support the mounting of the new antennas without significant work being done, or 3) local owners presenting problems.

GMOs are going to be the last ones to be worked on after they're done doing the basic things so at the earliest Sprint could upgrade these to full builds are going to be in 2014 most likely. Standard NV deployment time frame applies but with the added effect of engineering the sites for the upgrades or relocating it to another locale.

I'm not a premiere spouncer yet to see if my "home tower" is going to be a gmo site but, all the sites in upstate SC are gmo sites thus far. I'm in what Sprint calls a fair coverage area which makes my data and voice coverage very spotty inside my house. I'm betting its backhaul issue in the completed sites in the upstate.

• 3 weeks later...

Well this thread was sure a long read. Is the best way to tell whether or not you're on SMR by using the ##debug# console on your phone? I've got sensory up and reporting and I've been playing around with the CDMA Field Test Application. My house has low coverage and bounces between four different BSIDs constantly so 800smr seems like it would be a huge help to me so I'd love to know when it launches up here. Here in Redding, CA this last week my EVDO speeds at work which has excellent coverage jumped from the 300kbps it's been the last year to a consistent 1.5+ Mbps so I'm hoping something good is happening up here.

Best way to tell is to see if you're in an area with NV progress by being a sponsor. To my knowledge, all sites being worked on in the UCV market is currently GMO's pending the beginning of full builds in the coming weeks (?). To have CDMA 1xA 800 will require new panels to be put up along with the assorted NV goodies which GMO's do not completely have (read here http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-340-sprint-deploys-special-ground-mount-option-network-vision-sites-in-some-low-capacity-and-high-engineering-locations/ ).

All in all, SMR 800 should increase everyones coverage when it gets deployed, especially for those in the lower signal areas.

Any app that can read your SID will work...when you see you are on a 224xx SID then that is 800SMR. I prefer the debug screen for 1X though and actually see the channel number for confirmation though.