Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Sprint should had left the 4G icon for 1900 mhz lte and the 4G LTE for band 41. USA another pathetic decision by sprint network and handsets dept.These idiots keep screwing things up.The average Joe doesn't know what is band 41, so putting that hideous spinning icon is a waste of time.

Edited by SprintNYC

Sprint should had left the 4G icon for 1900 mhz lte and the 4G LTE for band 41. USA another pathetic decision by sprint network and handsets dept.These idiots keep screwing things up.The average Joe doesn't know what is band 41, so putting that hideous spinning icon is a waste of time.

This was more of a marketing decision. While I like the Sprint Spark branding, I do agree they could have done better... the Spark MIcrosite is pretty bad. Luckily for Sprint, Masa has hit the reset button with Sprint Marketing.

Anyways, visited NYC this weekend and service was much better than I anticipated. Heck, I was getting LTE on Ellis Island and my partner-in-crime's Verizon GS4 could barely register a signal. It just felt soooooo good.

• Like 5

I heard recently from a source that Sprint decided to do the Spark logo on all LTE after the fact. Because of the limitations of Android right now, it could not support a separate icon for different bands of LTE without some key changes in the OS. He said none of them were major deals, but would have taken time to resolve with Google and each OEM.

The way it was described to me is that now in the Android OS it currently pays no attention to Bands when determining LTE icons. It could care less. It determines LTE connectivity just by authenticating with an LTE network, and then calls for the LTE logo (as saved in the device) to be displayed. Whether it says LTE, 4G or some sort of custom icon. But it currently cares not about band, displaying the same LTE icon regardless of band.

So Sprint had a choice of just letting B41 be called 4GLTE like the other bands, or they all can be Spark. As they all have to be displayed the same. Or possibly delay longer. But Sprint decided that it was better to get that Spark branding out there and has decided to let the LTE Logo to be changed on all Triband devices to include Spark.

I still think this was a judgment error. But this is how it came to be. I guess I can understand why. But if limited to one, I would have just let B41 continue with the standard LTE logo in Triband devices.

I asked about whether they would change it back in future Android releases when they can get additional LTE icons tied specifically to band. He said that probably cannot be done now, because that a ship has sailed. How do you dock it back in the port now? I guess it can't.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

This seems like a good way for marketing to backup the network team into an uncomfortable position.

• Like 3

Jealous as I don't think the One max can even touch that! I have a nexus 5 but love my max more lol

Jealous as I don't think the One max can even touch that! I have a nexus 5 but love my max more lol

I absolutely love my N5, and would not trade it for anything currently out in the market!! I just loaded up Franco kernel and did some tweaks my battery life has improved two folds! (about 22hrs) Google really hit a homerun with the Nexus 5, it truly lives up to its reference design status..

I absolutely love my N5, and would not trade it for anything currently out in the market!! I just loaded up Franco kernel and did some tweaks my battery life has improved two folds! (about 22hrs) Google really hit a homerun with the Nexus 5, it truly lives up to its reference design status..

I'm a a heavy user so I am only just satisfied with 6hrs of screen on time I get with the one max I did have the powerfip case and pushed it close to 10 of screen on time that's a big deal too me. The nexus drains when used no mater how good the idle.
  • Like 1

I'm a a heavy user so I am only just satisfied with 6hrs of screen on time I get with the one max I did have the powerfip case and pushed it close to 10 of screen on time that's a big deal too me. The nexus drains when used no mater how good the idle.

Damn! you had an extended battery on the HTC One Max! Jez! I am also a very heavy user, but i am generally happy with a 4hr screen on time. They do have a ton of extended battery cases for the N5, but i enjoy the form factor too much to give it up so easily..

That article is pretty much accurate. Sprint is terrible data wise in Manhattan. But overall its good in Brooklyn and other boroughs except Manhattan. Not sure whats the deal there. I also go to Rockland county a lot and LTE there is almost everywhere. Its also always above 15mb/s because of the lower population. 

That article is pretty much accurate. Sprint is terrible data wise in Manhattan. But overall its good in Brooklyn and other boroughs except Manhattan. Not sure whats the deal there. I also go to Rockland county a lot and LTE there is almost everywhere. Its also always above 15mb/s because of the lower population.

With a band 25 only device yes, but armed with a triband phone, its a whole different story.
  • Like 3

I was in Williamsburg the other day at the Smorgasburg/Brooklyn Flea (everyone should go by the way) and I had to check if I got into one of my college choices (which I did by the way, it was Villanova) and at first my phone was being slow so I tried using my mother's iPhone 5 but it was too slow on LTE, I tried my grandmother's iPhone 5C and it was on AWS and was super speedy. But then her phone could not interact with the site. I went back to my phone and it had connected to 1 bar of PCS LTE and it was loading pages just as fast as my grandmother's phone.

The deal there is that the majority of Sprint subscribers are using Band 25 only devices. Band 25 is narrow and crowded just like The FDR going uptown at rush hour. Had they used a true tri band spark enabled device like a G2 it would of been a different article.
  • Like 1

I was in Williamsburg the other day at the Smorgasburg/Brooklyn Flea (everyone should go by the way) and I had to check if I got into one of my college choices (which I did by the way, it was Villanova) and at first my phone was being slow so I tried using my mother's iPhone 5 but it was too slow on LTE, I tried my grandmother's iPhone 5C and it was on AWS and was super speedy. But then her phone could not interact with the site. I went back to my phone and it had connected to 1 bar of PCS LTE and it was loading pages just as fast as my grandmother's phone.

I went last weekend too. LTE was pretty unstable. This is the last weekend it will be indoors. The following weekend will be outside by the water so lte will be much better.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

The deal there is that the majority of Sprint subscribers are using Band 25 only devices. Band 25 is narrow and crowded just like The FDR going uptown at rush hour. Had they used a true tri band spark enabled device like a G2 it would of been a different article.

The article states they were using a spark device though.

The article states they were using a spark device though.

We arent too sure about that, especially when my results are wildly different from his...

take a look

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1901-network-visionlte-new-york-city-market/?p=296195

In addition...

This was yesterday during rush hour on 34th street Herald Sq, this area turns most carriers into mincemeat..

My co workers phones 

ATT Note 2  DL .02mb sec/UL 1.8mb

Verizon iphone 4S (No AWS support, I do know its FAST in this are) DL .05mb sec/UL .9mb sec

T mobile Nexus 5 DL 6mb sec/UL 15mb sec

Sprint B25   DL .01mb sec/UL .5mb sec

and B41!!

2014-03-28%2015.14.45.png

Kinda nice to have access to all the major carriers...

• Like 2

Well that's annoying, I just got my HTC One M8 and I love it so far. I had LyE for the first hour and now it seems my home tower is having CSFB issues. Not only does it refuse to connect to LTE but when I make calls, it disconnects. That's going to be a problem, but hopefully it is short lived and it'll get fixed sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

One of the sites by my home has been acting up. Not only is 4G not active on the site, but the 3G side of things seems to have messed up as well. Calls will begin and then disconnect shortly after and other such things. It's becoming a nuisance but I can only hope that this gets fixed sooner rather than later.

One of the sites by my home has been acting up. Not only is 4G not active on the site, but the 3G side of things seems to have messed up as well. Calls will begin and then disconnect shortly after and other such things. It's becoming a nuisance but I can only hope that this gets fixed sooner rather than later.

Hopefully upgrades are happening, maybe B26/B41...Have you seem any permits for B41 on sprint sites?

Hopefully upgrades are happening, maybe B26/B41...Have you seem any permits for B41 on sprint sites?

I haven't been permit hunting in a bit but I could check. I might go check the site tomorrow if it isn't fixed by then.

triband issues. My tower took from the middle of November to just about 2 weeks ago so first of March. Good luck :-)
  • Like 1

Conclusion: Band 41 is the savior of Sprint in NYC. You iPhone users are missing out right now. Literally everywhere there isn't Band 25 in Brooklyn, there is Band 41, and it runs consistently over 20 Mbps.

• Like 4