Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Downtilt seems to have been adjusted at the LTE site that first served my home. In the front room of my home I used to get -114dbm or drop the signal, now I get -104dbm and my device never drops the signal.

• Like 3

Mhmm lately my sprint iPhone has a new habit of dropping bars when its on standby and its annoying, I still receive calls but I hate seeing only 1 bar then all the sudden going to full bars. Anyways I managed to do a field test while on 1 bar signal.

So yea what do these numbers mean :D Ty to those who answer I have somewhat an idea but I need the Pros! S4G pros!

PhotoMar15124155AM_zps1a75e07b.png

And

PhotoMar15124131AM_zps638b82e8.png

• Like 1

What causes poor SNR, because I have a -100dbm signal and am having trouble pulling over 2 Mbps. I have a feeling that the SNR might help me find out why this is the case. It reads at -2.0 now and even goes up to -0.8. When I am near a tower it'll jump to the high teens.

Mhmm lately my sprint iPhone has a new habit of dropping bars when its on standby and its annoying, I still receive calls but I hate seeing only 1 bar then all the sudden going to full bars. Anyways I managed to do a field test while on 1 bar signal.

So yea what do these numbers mean :D Ty to those who answer I have somewhat an idea but I need the Pros! S4G pros!

Looking at your signal strength its clear to see you have low data signal. The iphone was the first device to differentiate between voice and data bars. Meaning while your not connected to a phone call your bars represent DATA, as soon as you initiate a phone call it switches to Voice bars. Hence your voice signal is much stronger than your data bars.

• Like 1

Was on 39th and broadway, latched onto B41, awesome speeds. Same place i have been going for last couple of months and had unusable B25. 

One thing that surprised me, it was not CSFB ready, first site i have seen without it in a very long time. timesquspeed.png

• Like 4

I was in NYC yesterday and was pretty disappointed with the data again.

I was inside a friends apartment near the WIlliamsburg bridge on the Manhattan side, just by Broadway and Clinton and had abysmally slow 3G inside.

Then went to eat at Paulie Gees in Greenpoint Brooklyn and I was actually roaming inside the restaurant. Outside, I was getting slow 3G. Map indicates the nearest towers are 3g/4g upgraded, so they probably need another tower there. The streets were very active with people.

My service is great in the central jersey market, where I spend most of my time, so its always a (data) disappointment when going to NYC. I didnt run any speedtests, but I consider 2+ minutes to get directions from google maps not acceptable. The roaming inside the restaurant also was not so great for my battery life.

Note: I have a standard Galaxy 4, not triband.

Note: I have a standard Galaxy 4, not triband.

In NYC its triband device or go home, B25 covers most parts of NYC well but is overburdened during peak times. B41 coverage is good in NYC and improving everyday, it will be critical in balancing the load. Take a look at my last speed test above where B25 is abysmal.

in NYC its triband device or go home, B25 covers most parts of NYC well but is overburdened during peak times. B41 coverage is very good in NYC and will be needed to balance the load. Take a look at my last speed test above where B25 is abysmal.

In the case where I was roaming inside a building in a very popular area, thats not a B41 issue though. Thats a combo of 26 and more towers needed.

In the case where I was roaming inside a building in a very popular area, thats not a B41 issue though. Thats a combo of 26 and more towers needed.

It is super rare to roam in NYC unless your deep indoors and B26/1x800 will help solve that.

Roaming rarely happens to me because site density is so high, but by the Williamsburg Bridge on the Manhattan side is well covered in LTE. I'm surprised!

I was at my Aunt's house yesterday and I am super jealous. She has a -77dbm LTE signal in her house on LTE. Speeds were at 8 Mbps tops though. My guess is that is has to do with the fact that there are 2 apartment buildings not to far from her that the same site serves.

I even mapped on Sensorly but it'll take a while to become dark purple because it has been mapped as light purple so many times. The only part that is dark purple was where it wasn't mapped before.

• Like 1

I was in NYC yesterday and was pretty disappointed with the data again.

I was inside a friends apartment near the WIlliamsburg bridge on the Manhattan side, just by Broadway and Clinton and had abysmally slow 3G inside.

My service is great in the central jersey market, where I spend most of my time, so its always a (data) disappointment when going to NYC. I didnt run any speedtests, but I consider 2+ minutes to get directions from google maps not acceptable. The roaming inside the restaurant also was not so great for my battery life.

I on the other hand love the lte here. I just moved back here from SF and it was abysmal out there. I was there a year and a half and it was downright painful and embarrassing being on sprint. Granted right now I'm in upper Manhattan where the site density is great and mostly NV complete. But I even got some LTE in MSG over the weekend during a game. So I'm impressed so far and am hopeful it will only get better each day. Where as SF barely got better month to month.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I on the other hand love the lte here. I just moved back here from SF and it was abysmal out there. I was there a year and a half and it was downright painful and embarrassing being on sprint. Granted right now I'm in upper Manhattan where the site density is great and mostly NV complete. But I even got some LTE in MSG over the weekend during a game. So I'm impressed so far and am hopeful it will only get better each day. Where as SF barely got better month to month.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Welcome back to NYC! Nice to see you back on this side of the pond!

• Like 1

Can anyone with a N5 in NYC tell me if is worth flashing to the .15 radio. Would love to experience that B41 goodness. But not sure what am I sacrificing for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Can anyone with a N5 in NYC tell me if is worth flashing to the .15 radio. Would love to experience that B41 goodness. But not sure what am I sacrificing for it.

It is definitely worth a go to flash .15 radio. It is fairly stable and can connect to B41 with minimal fuss. The sooner you do it the better, as more and more B25 sites go live the less chances you will latch onto B41 sites. The weaker the B25 signal is, the better chances that you will connect to a B41 site. 

I do recommend that you consider becoming a premiere member, there is a treasure trove of information related to all the B41, B26  and of course B25 deployment

It is definitely worth a go to flash .15 radio. It is fairly stable and can connect to B41 with minimal fuss. The sooner you do it the better, as more and more B25 sites go live the less chances you will latch onto B41 sites. The weaker the B25 signal is, the better chances that you will connect to a B41 site.

I do recommend that you consider becoming a premiere member, there is a treasure trove of information related to all the B41 and B26 and of course B25 deployment

Thanks for the info but I'm kind of clueless about flashing my N5 and can't seem to directly find out how to do it anywhere here on this forum. And I'm definitely down with becoming a sponsor. Can u point in the right direction? I would appreciate it. Thanks

Thanks for the info but I'm kind of clueless about flashing my N5 and can't seem to directly find out how to do it anywhere here on this forum. And I'm definitely down with becoming a sponsor. Can u point in the right direction? I would appreciate it. Thanks

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2514095

Here's the thread on XDA. Make sure you back up your EFS first like the thread says.

Here's the info about sponsorship: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

Thanks for considering supporting the site!  :tu:

Very upsetting article. http://blog.laptopmag.com/fastest-4g-nyc

Why is it very upsetting?  It paints a picture for a moment in time.  The author admits that other carriers are rapidly getting into the game.  Sprint does realize (well at least Masa) that it really has to get a move on with regards to the competition.

Very upsetting article. http://blog.laptopmag.com/fastest-4g-nyc

I dont know if this would help put you more at ease, 

but my results

Flatiron I average about 50mb/sec+ (B41)

Wall Street is still work in progress, but i have not been there in a while. Last time I was there it was pretty slow(about 2months ago) my speeds were less than 1mb sec (B25)....but things can change quickly.

Times square, my speeds were blistering, between 30-50mb sec (B41).

Grand Central, I havent been there in a very long time, especially indoors, but a few blocks away I do get about 10-20mb sec (B41)

Guggenheim museum, I have a buddy of mine just 3 blocks away and my speeds are between 30-40mb sec (B41).

Grants Tomb, the closest I have been around there is 140th and Riverside, in that location my speeds are between 1-5mb sec (B25).

Penn Station, my phone roams on Verizon (N/A) disappointed that every other carrier has native underground service except sprint. (But roaming underground works amazingly well!)

Its clear that in this article the phone was parked mostly on B25, which is overburdened and unusable during peak hours (unless your at stronger than -75dBm signal)

I for one go out of my way to reset the data connection in hopes that I connect to B41, which in more cases than not I do! Which is why my results are probably wildly different from Laptopmags results.

So my hope is that Sprint will finally get B26 running and since they're very limited Triband devices in circulation let them prioritize B26 over B25 until the load is more balanced (then swap B25 and B26), and of course keep B41 at the highest priority level, and of course deploy that second carrier.

• Like 1

Why is it very upsetting? It paints a picture for a moment in time. The author admits that other carriers are rapidly getting into the game. Sprint does realize (well at least Masa) that it really has to get a move on with regards to the competition.

I agree with u. However it is upsetting to me that spark is getting a bad reputation in the public eye but we all know in here its true potential. I mean I hate telling someone to go with sprint based on our tri-band knowledge and then they happen to read that article and I end up looking like an idiot.

• Like 1

The article says he used a Samsung Galaxy S4 for testing on Sprint.  I'm wondering if he used a non Band 41 (non Spark) Galaxy S4 for his Sprint testing.  None of his testing seemed to show any Spark speeds.  The highest was more than capable of being achieved on B25.  And some of the places he reported being had Band 41 nearby.  

So, this leaves me wondering.  Did he really test the Spark network?  He claims to.  But he very well may not have.

Robert

• Like 4

The article says he used a Samsung Galaxy S4 for testing on Sprint.  I'm wondering if he used a non Band 41 (non Spark) Galaxy S4 for his Sprint testing.  None of his testing seemed to show any Spark speeds.  The highest was more than capable of being achieved on B25.  And some of the places he reported being had Band 41 nearby.  

So, this leaves me wondering.  Did he really test the Spark network?  He claims to.  But he very well may not have.

Robert

He does mention "Galaxy S4 displaying one bar of Spark LTE."  As misinformed as his quote is, not knowing whether its a spark connection or not, is not entirely his fault. Sprint should have made it a point to differentiate between B41 and B25.

But yes, he seemed to be parked on B25 most of the time of his testing.