Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I would make the argument that people running speedtests all the time isn't making the network any faster. Sucks to see that Band 25 LTE is already getting strained in some places. Even here is York, PA, many areas are considerably slower, although still fast enough to do most of my daily tasks, minus watching a video on Youtube in HD. Sometimes I gotta bump it down to standard quality  :(

I would make the argument that people running speedtests all the time isn't making the network any faster. Sucks to see that Band 25 LTE is already getting strained in some places. Even here is York, PA, many areas are considerably slower, although still fast enough to do most of my daily tasks, minus watching a video on Youtube in HD. Sometimes I gotta bump it down to standard quality  :(

I don't do it often, but since it is a newly activated tower, I run a speed test.

• Like 2

so is band 41, 25 and 26 all on one tower?

There is no Band 26 in NYC yet. There are many sites that have both Band 25 and Band 41 on it. There are equally as many with just Band 25 and just Band 41.

There is no Band 26 in NYC yet. There are many sites that have both Band 25 and Band 41 on it. There are equally as many with just Band 25 and just Band 41.

Have they even started to put B26 (800) on towers yet, in the New York Area I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have they even started to put B26 (800) on towers yet, in the New York Area I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The equipment for Band 26 is up on the tower ready to go.

Have they started installing the carrier cards in the base stations yet, we don't know.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My WiFi scrapped out in my home today when trying to do a few updates. I figured the 4G signal would be too weak to have any usable speed to perform app updates. I ran a speed test and on a -114dbm signal I'm getting 3.97 Mbps. The upload is poor but the download was more than useful. I was able to update the apps just fine!

• Like 1

so it has taken 3 months but the hand of issue that I was having when coming into so range of a specific tower in my area is now I actually connecting seamlessly and I'm not having any issues with the acquiring LTE signal. the e/csfb issues seems to be worked out as well. Now I expected it to take till mid spring so I am pleasantly surprised it only took 3 months and suffering lol... Positive advancement. Now I wish for a second band 25 LTE carrier as my area is maxed out!

• Like 5

so it has taken 3 months but the hand of issue that I was having when coming into so range of a specific tower in my area is now I actually connecting seamlessly and I'm not having any issues with the acquiring LTE signal. the e/csfb issues seems to be worked out as well. Now I expected it to take till mid spring so I am pleasantly surprised it only took 3 months and suffering lol... Positive advancement. Now I wish for a second band 25 LTE carrier as my area is maxed out!

My area too! That second Band 25 carrier could not come fast enough.

The chances seem pretty slim that we will see another carrier before band 26. Its becoming a catch 22 in the Bronx where B25 is becoming more prevalent and overburdened, leaving my phone to connect less and less to B41(until the Spark update)

The chances seem pretty slim that we will see another carrier before band 26. Its becoming a catch 22 in the Bronx where B25 is becoming more prevalent and overburdened, leaving my phone to connect less and less to B41(until the Spark update)

Grrr! Darn update what's taking so long?!

In Manhattan where they have so many sites without B25, just completing more sites will likely be sufficient for awhile. In the parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx where full site density is already there, it will take a second B25 carrier. But ideally, we should be on B41 and only use B25 for backup.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

In Manhattan where they have so many sites without B25, just completing more sites will likely be sufficient for awhile. In the parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx where full site density is already there, it will take a second B25 carrier. But ideally, we should be on B41 and only use B25 for backup.Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Ideally yes but if I could point you in the direction I am on the map. It's like I am set up personally in a triangle. That is spread out. I never get better than 90 dbm on my block because of the surrounding buildings. Which jumps to over 100 on my max and high 90 to 100 on my nexus 5. There needs to be a tower somewhere in the middle of the triangle to allieviate the congestion. A lot of people seem to have Sprint or are data hogs in my neighborhood. I remember when it first came online streaming video was no problem. Past 7-8pm when everyone is almost home. The better network utilization of evdo or simply the lack of congestion is almost a better choice. Manhattan tower setup is fine as I never actually have issues down in the city even during rush hour in my personal experience where I've traveled. The density is enough for that area not so much for the Bronx in my case.I even asked my building manager if they ever had a deal with a cell company to place a tower on our building. He said they at the time lost out on a bid to host to another up the block which he pointed me to. But that doesn't seem to be a Sprint one. I think it's is a Verizon cell site. The topography is also an issue as the west Bronx is very hilly so dramatic shifts in tower to tower performance if not spaced out right.

Ideally yes but if I could point you in the direction I am on the map. It's like I am set up personally in a triangle. That is spread out. I never get better than 90 dbm on my block because of the surrounding buildings. Which jumps to over 100 on my max and high 90 to 100 on my nexus 5. 

Have you tried flashing the .15 radio and changing band priority? you sound like the perfect candidate for the combination. In my case, my LTE signal around my neighborhood ranges between -80 and -90dBm, so my Nexus cannot latch onto that considerably weaker B41 signal (which still outperforms B25 by miles, with my girlfriends LG G2 it connects same spot without a problem)

As Robert mentioned, I truly believe B41 will be the only real source of immediate relief for us here in NYC (especially in manhattan) And it is glorious when you connect to it with stability,

Day before yesterday, was averaging between 15 and 35/mb sec in midtown Manhattan during peak hours, as my buddy was barely getting 10/kb sec on ATT.....yes! 10/kb!!!! Manhattan is brutal!

• Like 1

In Manhattan where they have so many sites without B25, just completing more sites will likely be sufficient for awhile. In the parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx where full site density is already there, it will take a second B25 carrier. But ideally, we should be on B41 and only use B25 for backup.

What about the stepchild Queens or the NJ suburb of Staten Island? How they fair in this?

TS

What about the stepchild Queens or the NJ suburb of Staten Island? How they fair in this?

TS

Are you still in queens with that Galaxy Mega? Im curious about the B41 performance throughout queens, Last time i was in Astoria due to the lack B25 sites, it latched onto B41 with ease. I wonder if the rest of Queens is the same deal?

Is b25 turning into a slow disaster now?

I think this is mostly the case in very dense areas during peak hours. Over the weekend the network performance is sublime!

Hey Robert, have their been any verified reports of the second carrier coming online? I did see something in the Shentel market thread, but nobody seem to deny nor confirm the users findings. Wondering if that is even in Sprint plans for the immediate future.

Have you tried flashing the .15 radio and changing band priority? you sound like the perfect candidate for the combination. In my case, my LTE signal around my neighborhood ranges between -80 and -90dBm, so my Nexus cannot latch onto that considerably weaker B41 signal (which still outperforms B25 by miles, with my girlfriends LG G2 it connects same spot without a problem)

As Robert mentioned, I truly believe B41 will be the only real source of immediate relief for us here in NYC (especially in manhattan) And it is glorious when you connect to it with stability,

Day before yesterday, was averaging between 15 and 35/mb sec in midtown Manhattan during peak hours, as my buddy was barely getting 10/kb sec on ATT.....yes! 10/kb!!!! Manhattan is brutal!

On .15 radio for the nexus 5 and it will fluctuate between 76 to 90 dbm in my apartment with drop off as you get closer to the bathroom which is situated in what would be the main hallway to other apartments so no lte there until another closer cell site is swtichTed on or band 26. As I mentioned in had the e/csfb issues until yesterday so switch between the HTC max and nexus 5 to confirm that it was still receiving Sprint signal for 1x voice not just lte data on te nexus 5. With the max picking up the band 25 properly I stopped receiving the band 41 tower as it on at best propagated at 112dbm the band 25 is about 15-25 dbm stronger when factoring signal noise. So no more band 41 inside but hand offs outside are seamless and it's wonderful but I am sure it's not complete yet as but the issues of congestion remain. I am happy the towers are finally performing that are online as they should! Bronx has one of the densest population per square mile so it's going to need better attention once all is said and done with first round of work.

Are you still in queens with that Galaxy Mega? Im curious about the B41 performance throughout queens, Last time i was in Astoria due to the lack B25 sites, it latched onto B41 with ease. I wonder if the rest of Queens is the same deal?

Hope you don't mind, but I merged your three back to back posts into one.

As for the Mega, Yeah, I still have it and to be honest, I haven't checked. Been so busy its not even funny. 

Hope you don't mind, but I merged your three back to back posts into one.

As for the Mega, Yeah, I still have it and to be honest, I haven't checked. Been so busy its not even funny. 

No worries, the cleaner the better. I figured you were the culprit of my consolidated posts...lol!

On .15 radio for the nexus 5 and it will fluctuate between 76 to 90 dbm in my apartment with drop off as you get closer to the bathroom which is situated in what would be the main hallway to other apartments so no lte there until another closer cell site is swtichTed on or band 26. As I mentioned in had the e/csfb issues until yesterday so switch between the HTC max and nexus 5 to confirm that it was still receiving Sprint signal for 1x voice not just lte data on te nexus 5. With the max picking up the band 25 properly I stopped receiving the band 41 tower as it on at best propagated at 112dbm the band 25 is about 15-25 dbm stronger when factoring signal noise. So no more band 41 inside but hand offs outside are seamless and it's wonderful but I am sure it's not complete yet as but the issues of congestion remain. I am happy the towers are finally performing that are online as they should! Bronx has one of the densest population per square mile so it's going to need better attention once all is said and done with first round of work.

Where in the Bronx are you? Your experience sounds parallel to mines. Except I'm not on the .15 radio on my N5. Don't know how or if I want to flash it.

Where in the Bronx are you? Your experience sounds parallel to mines. Except I'm not on the .15 radio on my N5. Don't know how or if I want to flash it.Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

west Kingsbridge close to target in the riverside plaza ....