Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I could be wrong, but does it really matter that Sprint didn't participate in the 600MHz auction and T-Mobile did when most likely they will merge in the near future. The new company will have everything from low to high. (insert evil laugh now).

TS

Wondering this myself.

Do you hear that sound, guys? Oh, yes. It's the plot thickening!

• Like 1

Wondering this myself.

Do you hear that sound, guys? Oh, yes. It's the plot thickening!

I really don't see any way sprint could have participated, they didn't have the money to do so and even if they raised some funds to do so they would have to deploy it. They money spent deploying it would be better spent ensuring they deploy everything they already have.

It could have been a tactic to drive the cost down but there were so many other players I don't see it having a huge impact.

• Like 1

Eh, I really don't care what you think about it.

It's not what I think, it's what you implied. If Sprint is willing to give 1 full year of free service, then it's safe to assume Overland Park doesn't want anyone leaving. Go to Twitter and tweet @Sprint about leaving...You'll see Sprint Care's account respond to your threat seconds after pressing submit.

So yes. Overland Park would miss him and any subscriber that ports out (as would At&t, T-Mobile and Verizon at this point).

I could be wrong, but does it really matter that Sprint didn't participate in the 600MHz auction and T-Mobile did when most likely they will merge in the near future. The new company will have everything from low to high. (insert evil laugh now).

TS

It's not a safe bet that the merge will happen. Dish, cable companies, and overseas conglomerates are still in play.

Sprint just needs to execute. Their majority owner has the funds to put all the spectrum in play and shore up the network deficiencies by 2020. Sprint doesn't "need" anyone else's money. Network investment seems to bring good returns as well. Sprint will be gradually be worth more in the future (to a potential suitor) based on the quality of the network access being purchased and customer satisfaction.

So my point? I am no longer in favor of a tmo merger.

And color me a bit skeptical of mega mergers... promises of customer benefits are often over stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I really don't see any way sprint could have participated, they didn't have the money to do so and even if they raised some funds to do so they would have to deploy it. They money spent deploying it would be better spent ensuring they deploy everything they already have.

It could have been a tactic to drive the cost down but there were so many other players I don't see it having a huge impact.

Sprint's CFO specifically responded to this: http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-cfo-robbiati-600-mhz-spectrum-past

----

That—and not a lack of cash—is why Sprint opted not to participate, Robbiati said during an investors conference.

“We did not participate in the 600 MHz (auction) not because we didn’t have money at the time, or we were under-resourced for it,” he said. “It is simply spectrum that is spectrum of the past. The world is moving toward high-capacity wireless data networks, and in that world the best and most efficient spectrum that is needed for that… is mid-band spectrum, the spectrum that we have, the 2.5 GHz spectrum.”

----

Ultimately, not participating freed up funds to pay off debt and deploy current Spectrum holdings.

• Like 3

After searching around, it looks like my Nexus 5x isn't working because it's registered as a Prepaid device (when I used it on Ringplus).  I am going to see if I can submit a ClickIT ticket to get this thing moved back to postpaid eligible.

Hm, Im seeing a good amount of reports on Reddit on people being able to switch from prepaid.

My gf is going to switch next week from AT&T prepaid so I hope its not an issue.

Im also curious about how this will affect the stock price.

Sprint just needs to execute. Their majority owner has the funds to put all the spectrum in play and shore up the network deficiencies by 2020. Sprint doesn't "need" anyone else's money. Network investment seems to bring good returns as well. Sprint will be gradually be worth more in the future (to a potential suitor) based on the quality of the network access being purchased and customer satisfaction.

And color me a bit skeptical of mega mergers... promises of customer benefits are often over stated.

I don't think Sprint needs to merge with T-Mobile. Sprint can be a powerful cellular content player. Merging with a cable company with some low band is all they really need. I think Marcelo is throwing around the T-Mobile name to keep the stock up and stuff. It does seem like Sprint is going in a different direction and not in the way of T-Mobile. They have a deal with Amazon with adding prime to your account, now Tidal (both are content and media), the opening of more stores. Whereas T-Mobile is worried about trying to match Verizon with coverage.

Sprint has a decent coverage map as it currently stands in size. Merging with Dish or whoever in cable can pack a powerful punch and still give the other 3 a run for their money with a extremely strong dense network...just my thoughts.

• Like 6

I don't think Sprint needs to merge with T-Mobile. Sprint can be a powerful cellular content player. Merging with a cable company with some low band is all they really need. I think Marcelo is throwing around the T-Mobile name to keep the stock up and stuff. It does seem like Sprint is going in a different direction and not in the way of T-Mobile. They have a deal with Amazon with adding prime to your account, now Tidal (both are content and media), the opening of more stores. Whereas T-Mobile is worried about trying to match Verizon with coverage.

Sprint has a decent coverage map as it currently stands in size. Merging with Dish or whoever in cable can pack a powerful punch and still give the other 3 a run for their money with a extremely strong dense network...just my thoughts.

Realistically, Sprint needs to focus on primary markets (capacity/coverage WITHIN major markets) like T-Mobile did in its early LTE stages, then after the healthy customer growth, focus on rural coverage/expansion. 

• Like 2

Sprint says my Nexus 5x is carrier-locked (despite me being able to use it freely on AT&T/T-Mobile/Ringplus)...Anyone know how I can bypass the level 1 care and get a ClickIT ticket submitted?  I'm trying to take advantage of the free year plan so I can monitor upgrades in my area on Sprint.

FYI you don't actually need an active line of service to do this.

<Opens door, throws rock in, closes door>

I wouldn't be surprised Amazon buying Sprint. Since they are buying everything else lately (Whole Foods, maybe Slack,) having a telecom would make them an empire. (If they weren't already).

Although I still feel Sprint tying up with Charter Communications will be ideal, more so than T-Mobile. But eh, time will tell.

• Like 3

I wouldn't be surprised Amazon buying Sprint. Since they are buying everything else lately (Whole Foods, maybe Slack,) having a telecom would make them an empire. (If they weren't already).

Although I still feel Sprint tying up with Charter Communications will be ideal, more so than T-Mobile. But eh, time will tell.

<Throws grenade is more like it!!!>

Softbank has not invested anything in Sprint besides their initial investment because of contractual obligations with the Japanese banks that financed the deal.

I am definitely in favor of the merger just so they can be competitive as far as spreading out costs over a larger customer base. Now of course I want certain conditions on the deal.

• Like 1

Charter is in massive debt. The last thing Sprint needs is a company that won't invest on their infrastructure.

• Like 3

Realistically, Sprint needs to focus on primary markets (capacity/coverage WITHIN major markets) like T-Mobile did in its early LTE stages, then after the healthy customer growth, focus on rural coverage/expansion. 

I completely agree.   They do need someone with some cash and low band spectrum to invest in Capex.    You said it perfectly when you said T-Mobile did it early in LTE deployment.  They did.. it made T-Mobile a much better cellular company ...no longer the laughing joke of the industry.   I really think if Sprint would of actually completed any one network improvement programs to the Nth degree, they would be in a much better financial position.    Seems they always do "half job" and never complete any one thing they start.     The lack of 800 MHz antenna's in my area because the equipment installed never had it is a perfect example of "half-job".    They knew eventually IBEZ would be lifted and the network could be installed.     As much as Sprint wants to say they don't need or want low band, I am not buying that.   That's a save face to investors if you ask me.    They need 800 and some 600.   If we lived in grass huts, it would be a different story.    The Magic box is not and can never be the save all that some want you to believe.

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 1

I completely agree.   They do need someone with some cash and low band spectrum to invest in Capex.    You said it perfectly when you said T-Mobile did it early in LTE deployment.  They did.. it made T-Mobile a much better cellular company ...no longer the laughing joke of the industry.   I really think if Sprint would of actually completed any one network improvement programs to the Nth degree, they would be in a much better financial position.    Seems they always do "half job" and never complete any one thing they start.     The lack of 800 MHz antenna's in my area because the equipment installed never had it is a perfect example of "half-job".    They knew eventually IBEZ would be lifted and the network could be installed.     As much as Sprint wants to say they don't need or want low band, I am not buying that.   That's a save face to investors if you ask me.    They need 800 and some 600.   If we lived in grass huts, it would be a different story.    The Magic box is not and can never be the save all that some want you to believe.

What made T-Mobile is the AT&T breakup fee and the $5B of debt that the parent company forgave. Oh yeah not having to support 3 networks and a bloated bureaucracy. And a network management team focused on execution.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 3

The problem in Baton Rouge wasn't speeds, it was coverage. AT&T literally has 2-3 macro sites for almost every Sprint site in the area, whereas you still in 2017 can't drive across the city without ending up on 3G. They added a total of TWO (EDIT: THREE) new macro sites during Network Vision, and cancelled about two dozen planned builds.

I wonder what ever happened to that site downtown that gave him fits and they never upgraded.

I gotta say, 6 months free Tidal just in time for this exclusive HOV album..pure genius.

Throw in the 1 year of free Sprint service and this crazy LG G6 deal for 89 dollars.

This is the most muscle I've seen Sprint marketing flex EVER.

• Like 2

I gotta say, 6 months free Tidal just in time for this exclusive HOV album..pure genius.

Throw in the 1 year of free Sprint service and this crazy LG G6 deal for 89 dollars.

I gotta say, this is the most muscle I've seen Sprint marketing flex EVER.

My trial still won't work, support was no help either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My trial still won't work, support was no help either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

They finally seem to have properly streamlined the process. All you need to do is add services to that specific account thru the sprint site and it will send you a confirmation text. Once you have that text, that text message will contain a link to the page to confirm the new 6 month trial.

I did it for my sister last night, worked like a charm.

Here is a screenshot of the option to add the promotion..

https://imgur.com/gallery/gMP3g

• Like 2