Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience; as you know, places like UPS and Fed Ex are not immune from individual bad apples either. All of my USPS experiences have been wonderful. In addition, I do much more mailing through USPS (sending and receiving) than via UPS or Fed Ex and yet I have had far worse delays, damages, and issues with either of them than USPS.

I've never attempted a pick up same day like that from any of the three. I wouldn't have even thought you could do that, since the box is presumably sitting on the truck being driven around until the close of business.

No, only the US Postal Service is required to pre-fund pensions for the next 75 years. Every other agency does not have to do that.

- Trip

This is way off topic, but the total gap in funding of federal pension is nearly as large as the unfunded liabilities in social security. The pension programs run by our government are in trouble through out. Further the 46 billion in loses the post office has accrued over the past 7 years can't be fully accounted by their pension program.

I gave that example as my last experience but it was in no way unique. Maybe it is a difference in region but where I am at the wait rivals the MVD/DMV, the people are rude and the mail delivery people are asses, as a rule anyway. There are exception, but they seem to rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The post office works fine, and would be making a profit were it not required to prefund retirement pensions for employees for 75 years over 10 years. That's right, the post office, by mandate of Congress, has to prefund retirement pensions for employees who aren't even born yet, to the tune of $5.7 billion per year. If not for that, it would be making profits.

Interesting fact: The post offices losses last year were $5.5 billion dollars. That's almost exactly the amount of the unnecessary payment Congress stuck them with.

- Trip

Not to mention that they are prohibited by law to enter certain business areas, close uneconomic post offices or close on Saturday.
  • Like 1

I gave that example as my last experience but it was in no way unique. Maybe it is a difference in region but where I am at the wait rivals the MVD/DMV, the people are rude and the mail delivery people are asses, as a rule anyway. There are exception, but they seem to rare.

Around my part of New Jersey there are a few decent locations as well as some people who care but for the most part they are dreary places that are understaffed with surly service. I was at one of those a month or two ago. Long line and the guy at the front wanted to open a PO Box. He wanted to have it charge his credit card each month. The employee said he would have to fill out a special form to do that and disappeared into the back for almost five minutes only to come back without one. She didn't know where they were. The guy started to complain that it shouldn't be this difficult. Then he turned to the rest of the line and said "It's like its 1975 in here!" Everyone started laughing. The sad thing is he was right in that situation.

The biggest problem I have with the USPS is they seem completely incapable of tracking a package. I've sent and received a lot of packages with tracking and most of the time it's useless.

I vastly prefer USPS over UPS, which I despise more than a dozen cloned John Legeres running a dozen different T-Mobile MVNOs. So, that ought to show how much I loathe UPS. At least 95% of shipments I've received from UPS have been damaged.

Hence, I try to avoid UPS whenever possible, and go with either USPS or even FedEx. I've never had an issue with either of them.

I guess I'm a one-off case, but I've never had any trouble with UPS, USPS, or Fed-Ex. Packages are almost always on-time and I have never once received a damaged package. I guess I'm just lucky. :)

-Anthony

• Like 5

I vastly prefer USPS over UPS, which I despise more than a dozen cloned John Legeres running a dozen different T-Mobile MVNOs.

I knew a kid growing up who called UPS "United Pet Stompers."  Brown ran over his dog.

AJ

• Like 1

I worked for Brown for five years. They couldn't really do much for me. They did have some nice whiteboards, though.

I ship all of my eBay business through the United States Postal Service and wouldn't have it any other way. They run circles around UPS and FedEx in terms of price and transit time. I've seen what goes on behind the scenes at UPS - we lost sh!t like crazy, same as FedEx and even the USPS. They're all the same, so choose the cheapest!

• Like 1

I knew a kid growing up who called UPS "United Pet Stompers." Brown ran over his dog.

AJ

I can see why that kid would hate UPS. That even gave me more reason to hate UPS, as I think most dogs are great animals and can't stand the thought of any kind of cruelty to them.

In full disclosure, I have other reasons I dislike UPS than just the damaged shipments and now this animal cruelty situation. On a few occasions, UPS drivers have made me late to doctor appointments by parking their huge ugly trucks in front of entrances to buildings. I can't walk around them onto grass, so I've had to wait. When the drivers have left the building, I've politely asked them if they could park away from the entrances, as it makes it so people with walking difficulties can't go in. A few drivers just ignored me, then a few yelled at me about it.

I also had a problem where my mother needed to make a quick stop into a UPS store when we were on the way to an important board meeting where I was on the board of a local health rights organization at the time. My mother walked out of the store very upset without getting what she needed done because the employee at the counter decided to skip her for people in line behind her.

I decided to go back in with her and confronted the franchise owner and got into a shouting match with the old fart. One of his assistants decided it was better just to go ahead and help my mother at that point, so she got that done and we left. My mother now goes to a different shipment store which apparently is fine.

To note, despite my despising of UPS, if there was a site that frequently wrote articles about UPS and its competitors, I still would not spend hours bashing UPS in favor of another shipper in those articles' comments sections.

Anyone else notice as the network gets better sprint doesn't offer as much?

For awhile 20gb @$100 now it's 10

Ul data +$10

I don't see Verizon moving off these new plans for awhile the pricing is much better now.

It seems that vzw came up with competitive plans directed at Sprint not Tmo. This because sprint is getting its sh$$ together and vzw is making a move before sprint gets to much positive publicity.

Anyone else notice as the network gets better sprint doesn't offer as much?

For awhile 20gb @$100 now it's 10

Ul data +$10

I don't see Verizon moving off these new plans for awhile the pricing is much better now.

It seems that vzw came up with competitive plans directed at Sprint not Tmo. This because sprint is getting its sh$$ together and vzw is making a move before sprint gets to much positive publicity.

Double data was promotional. There is tons more promotional pricing now for when folks are looking to buy their phone at specific time of the year. These include back to school, the holiday season, etc. The period that we're in now is probably the calm before the storm.

• Like 1

Well this is good news.

Mobile life and the New York City urban mobile experience | RootMetrics - www.rootmetrics.com

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/blog/special-reports/2015-1h-new-york-urban-experience

They were routinely beating AT&T out in most metrics. That's a start. Speed will be better with 2x carrier aggregation.

• Like 1

As has been stated ad nauseam in these Net Neutrality arguments, Big Content already pays for its Internet.

If Big Channel cannot stand the heat -- it wants "some of that Internet money" -- then get out of the kitchen.  Leave the business if it cannot hack the CAPEX for longterm return.  A public/private infrastructure entity would have no problem with that longterm return.  And do note the public/private aspect.  Private industry would still get to construct networks, just not run every aspect of them.

AJ

Though I disagree that nationalizing and effectively monopolizing telecommunications would be a good idea, (If we WERE going to monopolize telecom, then at least only have local monopolies. Preserve some competition by having competition between different localities.) I have a real problem with telecom and content companies being owned by the same company. The real solution isn't net neutrality regulation, it's to get ISP/telecom out of the content business. 

The reason we have issues of "net neutrality", particularly with cable companies, as ISPs, is that they also are selling content in the form of television. If ISPs were only in the ISP business, they wouldn't have the incentive to throttle your traffic outside of normal network management (especially if they were metering your traffic so that heavy users paid more).  But when they are also in the content business, they have the incentive to manage their ISP business so as to protect their content business. 

Can telecom support 50 different providers in a region, like maybe the restaurant business. No, but there is a benefit to having even limited competition. Just the ability of new companies to enter (building FTTP instead of using existing cable let's say), benefits existing and potential customers.

• Like 1

No, only the US Postal Service is required to pre-fund pensions for the next 75 years. Every other agency does not have to do that.

- Trip

That's not quite correct. They don't have to prefund the next 75 years of retirement. What they were forced to do is switch to pay-as-you-go system, similar to social security where current revenue pays for the current retirees, to a pension-style system, where you have a pension fund that is required to be kept solvent 75 years into the futures, based on actuarial projections.  

The issue is the transition. Since the postal service didn't start out with a pension system, it is way behind and is being forced to make large payments to get caught up to where it is supposed to be. Is the catch-up timeline unrealistic? Maybe or maybe not. That's a question where there isn't a clearly right answer. If you make the catch up period too short, then you are placing undue financial stress on the current postal service and its employees in order to make up for past mistakes. If you make the period too long, then you allow the high risks of the pay-go retirement system to linger on longer than they should.

Well this is good news.

Mobile life and the New York City urban mobile experience | RootMetrics - www.rootmetrics.com

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/blog/special-reports/2015-1h-new-york-urban-experience

that dropped call rate, wow.

how important is VoLTE? does Sprint really need it right away? or is it more of a 'we have the latest technology' bragging right?

that dropped call rate, wow.

how important is VoLTE? does Sprint really need it right away? or is it more of a 'we have the latest technology' bragging right?

No SvDo on Sprint. Every other carrier has simultaneous voice/data. Sprint needs it to compete, for some customers.

Sent from my M8

• Like 1

Dont know if this was posted...

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/phl-airport/2015/2H

Sprint grabs another win, but as the report proves, WiFi is probably the way the go.

Cool. I'll be laying over for a few hours at PHL next month, coming from another airport with good Sprint service - LGA.

Seeing these improvements play out has been awesome!

• Like 3

Cool. I'll be laying over for a few hours at PHL next month, coming from another airport with good Sprint service - LGA.

Seeing these improvements play out has been awesome!

Man it looks congested there.  All of the carriers hit a median of less than 2mbps.

Man it looks congested there. All of the carriers hit a median of less than 2mbps.

Last time in was in PHL, I had completely unusable data - this is a quantum leap forward.

Maybe my boingo wifi will finally work...

Pretty much you guys are confusing a device issue as a network related issue. Don't forget that there are some devices that are SVDO capable on Sprint and that most new devices aren't because I the amount of antennas they would have to build into the phones for that capability. The network can already d it, but the devices would need to be designed with more antenna channels and add more cost to do so. For example, Evo 4GLTE,Samsung GS3

• Like 2

Pretty much you guys are confusing a device issue as a network related issue. Don't forget that there are some devices that are SVDO capable on Sprint and that most new devices aren't because I the amount of antennas they would have to build into the phones for that capability. The network can already d it, but the devices would need to be designed with more antenna channels and add more cost to do so. For example, Evo 4GLTE,Samsung GS3

My point is, you can have a GS6/6s on AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile and get simultaneous calling/data, whereas with Sprint on an S6/6s, you can't.  Sure, people can use a Galaxy S3 for SvDo, but they miss out on accessing the other two bands of Sprint's network.  The only thing that'll enable Sprint to enable simultaneous voice/data will be VoLTE.  But as IamMrFamous07 said, the network needs to be more dense. 

• Like 1