Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

If nothing can be done but to leave PCS at 5x5, then while I understand the importance of PCS while Sprint still is densifying their network for band 41, which considering Sprint's vast amounts of band 41 spectrum, especially when it's in more use with a denser network upon completion of NGN and 3x CA, at that point it just doesn't make sense to have such limited chunks of 5x5 PCS that won't provide the same high quality experience of band 41, nor provide the in-building experience of Sprint's low band spectrum.

I think Sprint would do better by participating in the 600mhz auction and try to get at least 10x10, if not more, like 15x15 of the spectrum, then begin selling off some PCS spectrum, until they can implement the 600mhz spectrum fully, which then Sprint could sell of as much PCS spectrum as they need to cover those auction costs.

Arysyn, you just do not get it...

AJ

• Like 8

If nothing can be done but to leave PCS at 5x5, then while I understand the importance of PCS while Sprint still is densifying their network for band 41, which considering Sprint's vast amounts of band 41 spectrum, especially when it's in more use with a denser network upon completion of NGN and 3x CA, at that point it just doesn't make sense to have such limited chunks of 5x5 PCS that won't provide the same high quality experience of band 41, nor provide the in-building experience of Sprint's low band spectrum.

I think Sprint would do better by participating in the 600mhz auction and try to get at least 10x10, if not more, like 15x15 of the spectrum, then begin selling off some PCS spectrum, until they can implement the 600mhz spectrum fully, which then Sprint could sell of as much PCS spectrum as they need to cover those auction costs.

Sprint would do fine having 120mhz band 41 and 30mhz of 600mhz spectrum, if they went for 15x15 of 600mhz, which would be good enough capacity, speed, and building penetration, also covering distance where band 41 still doesn't reach enough, areas that PCS wouldn't even do so well at either.

Uhhhh NO.  You are proposing too drastic of a change to Sprint's current spectrum holdings that is pretty far fetched and not to mention that you are simply ignoring facts and statements that the S4GRU staff have been saying that will not happen:

1) Sprint not participating in the 600 MHz spectrum auction as of now

2) Sprint's 1900 MHz NV equipment installed does not support B25 aggregation.  

Note:  It would cost too much and not feasible to re-do NV again just to simply pay and deploy equipment just to support B25 aggregation.  Its better at this point to wait until CDMA/EVDO phase out several years from now and Sprint can deploy 10x10 LTE when enough spectrum is cleared.

3) Even if Sprint were to bid on 600 MHz spectrum they will not win the entire 30 MHz reserve spectrum.  That is just crazy talk.

The best way to improve the Sprint network is by NGN project with huge NV site densification with macro and small cells.  Hopefully that means Sprint is able to retain most of the Nextel tower lease agreements that don't co-locate with Sprint and deploy NV equipment on those.  I can identify several iDEN sites that would make perfect NV sites for conversion.

I agree. My cousin is in seattle and he has Tmobile and his sister has Sprint. He says Sprint has coverage but it is not as fast as Tmobile. In my area T-Mobile has very high spectrum holdings also. Basically covered in 20x20 b4 and 5x5 b12. They have enough to add a 10x10 b2 also so to me this may put tmobile in one of the best positions in my area if not the best. I would say around here Verizon, Tmobile, Sprint then At&t in Spectrum holdings. Verizon, Sprint, At&t, T-Mobile in coverage position and data reliability Verizon, Tmobile, At&t, Sprint.

Tmobile better have good coverage since Washington is Tmobile's headquarters.  Since Seattle is so hilly especially in the downtown areas, I think its going to take some time for Sprint to densify that part of the market.  Not to mention that due to Canadian IBEZ they have been unable to deploy B26 LTE which is sorely needed in any market just to provide additional LTE coverage.

• Like 1

I understand Sprint's history with the PCS band, and if anything could be done to aggregate it to make it more useful, then by all means great! Besides, I'm not even against having PCS itself, it is the limited 5x5 I have an issue with. I'd be saying the same thing if Sprint had 5x5 AWS. I just don't like how carriers are so limited with spectrum, this being an example of Sprint's PCS spectrum.

I hated when T-Mobile was using 10x10 AWS for their LTE here in Chicago. It was often congested and slow, which I was quite vocal about here on S4GRU. When T-Mobile changed it though to 15x15, what a huge difference that made, even though now it isn't as good as when they first changed it, still is much better than when it was 10x10.

I now believe with the advancement in technology that spectrum really needs to keep up with that. Otherwise, congestion will get worse, resulting in higher costs for data as a measure to keep people from using as much of it. Yeah, I understand the issue of "data abuse", but it shouldn't mean charging $5 or more per gb, when there is plenty of spectrum the government could provide carriers, if they stop wasting spectrum on old resources, etc.

I'll be writing some of my ideas regarding better spectrum allocation in my new thread about wireless industry changes/modifications. I only meant to follow up with Terrell, which I got a bit carried on with my spectrum ideas here.

Eric,

I never said Sprint should try for the entire reserve spectrum, but whichever 30mhz they could get in that spectrum, as long as it wasn't separate chunks of spectrum. I mentioned even a 10x10 would be fine, but better yet even would be 15x15.

Back some time ago when I mentioned my dislike of the 5x5 chunks of PCS spectrum, several people here on S4GRU responded to me that the spectrum could be aggregated. I took that to mean if was possible, based on them saying so, which is why I supported the idea.

So, if indeed they were wrong, then there is going to be huge discrepancies in performance between 3x CA band 41 spectrum and 5x5 PCS later next year when NGN is progressed quite a bit to where people will notice a difference when they drop from areas with super fast band 41 to much slower 5x5 PCS.

T-Mobile is already 15x15 AWS LTE in Chicago and my market of St. Louis and in most places in those markets they're at the 70 Mbps threshold on the high end. That's what Sprint has to match or beat with 2xCA in your neighborhood.

The rest of it is drivel, and the staff already addressed it.

• Like 3

T-Mobile is already 15x15 AWS LTE in Chicago and my market of St. Louis and in most places in those markets they're at the 70 Mbps threshold on the high end. That's what Sprint has to match or beat with 2xCA in your neighborhood.

I know that about band 41, fraydog. I have no issue with that, and as long as Sprint densifies really really well to the point where everywhere is band 41, which some people here report seeing in some places, then it'll be fine.

My point was addressing something with what Terrell was saying that I agreed with. Actually, he's talked a bit about spectrum issues in the past along with coverage issues I've agreed with, and I wanted to follow-up with him on my viewpoint, but then my point got taken out of context by someone else, which needed addressing.

The point is, and I'll make it brief since I already stated it, is after Sprint gets NGN progressed to the point where more areas are covered with active 3x CA band 41, there will be a noticeable difference in performance between that and 5x5 PCS. I don't mean to get into a debate though about it, especially since many here dispute the importance of speed, to which there is validity on both sides of that debate. I'm only stating there is, to follow through with my original comments to Terrell.

There isn't a need to go further into it though.

• Like 1

My experiences and concerns with band 41 ESPECIALLY CA are that people will be able use it.   On my current and previous phone band 41 does not come in first.  I am in a clean site of a tower a block and a half away and when I toggle airplane mode I have to wait a bit for band to come on  (I'll time it next time).   After that comes on I have to wait for CA.  How much of a chance of will there be for someone driving around in the city to get these signals?

• Like 2

My experiences and concerns with band 41 ESPECIALLY CA are that people will be able use it. On my current and previous phone band 41 does not come in first. I am in a clean site of a tower a block and a half away and when I toggle airplane mode I have to wait a bit for band to come on (I'll time it next time). After that comes on I have to wait for CA. How much of a chance of will there be for someone driving around in the city to get these signals?

That's primarily a UE scan time issue. The network can't move the phone to band 41 until it reports that it is receiving it. Also, CA only becomes active during a data session. The phone doesn't idle on CA because that is a waste of battery
  • Like 3

Where is Sprint with VOLTE? Other carriers rolling this out. I hate to see Sprint back in the familiar position of playing catch up again.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

It seems like VoLTE has been moved to the back burner over NGN and densificstion. Sprint needs to be be fully dense in metros and have B26 fully live in rural before they can deploy VoLTE. I wouldn't expect it before Q1-2017.

And AT&T still doesn't even have HD calling (let alone VoLTE) of any form over even half its network. They are moving incredibly slow.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 9

My experiences and concerns with band 41 ESPECIALLY CA are that people will be able use it. On my current and previous phone band 41 does not come in first. I am in a clean site of a tower a block and a half away and when I toggle airplane mode I have to wait a bit for band to come on (I'll time it next time). After that comes on I have to wait for CA. How much of a chance of will there be for someone driving around in the city to get these signals?

I'm hoping band 41 will be the first and main band people will have active on their device, at least while outside, low band inside. Sprint's band 41 needs to become Sprint's primary band, since Sprint has so much of it and it'll be what will make Sprint have such a fast, capacity-rich network. Sprint just needs to densifying enough for it.

Although, it is great news when some people have already reported here on S4GRU they've had experiences where they've held onto band 41 consistently during their time of travel. If Sprint could get that experience everywhere, that'll be all Sprint really needs, other than the important low band spectrum for indoor usage, which while only 5x5, is something most people will be tolerant of lower speeds on, due to being indoors.

If Sprint doesn't change their mind about the 600mhz spectrum, if they could get more of their current low band spectrum somehow, to at least 10x10, that practically would resolve any speed/capacity complaints there may be in areas which its use is higher.

If Sprint doesn't change their mind about the 600mhz spectrum, if they could get more of their current low band spectrum somehow, to at least 10x10, that practically would resolve any speed/capacity complaints there may be in areas which its use is higher.

There is no more SMR to be had. All 800MHz band spectrum has owners, whether it be public safety or AT&T/Verizon.

• Like 1

That's primarily a UE scan time issue. The network can't move the phone to band 41 until it reports that it is receiving it. Also, CA only becomes active during a data session. The phone doesn't idle on CA because that is a waste of battery

I thought it was suppose to look to band 41 first.   Sorry if I'm correct.  Is that the UE you are thinking about?  

I thought it was suppose to look to band 41 first. Sorry if I'm correct. Is that the UE you are thinking about?

Band 41 is the highest priority but it may be a case of the phone taking slightly longer to scan band 41 than it does band 25/26. Many times when I toggle airplane mode in a band 41 area my N5 will jump on to 25/26 then band 41 within a few seconds.

And AT&T still doesn't even have HD calling (let alone VoLTE) of any form over even half its network. They are moving incredibly slow.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

But from what I've read, this slow rollout has been paying off. In the areas where it is available, they have the best reliability and call drop rates out of the 3 VoLTE networks. I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint did something like AT&T, taking a market by market approach until the entire network is VoLTE enabled, but hopefully they do it faster than them.

• Like 1

AJ

• Like 2

AJ

According to the quote by Jack Nicholson's character if that were meant to apply to S4GRU (playing his part), then that is pretty bad on this site. By the way, regardless of how much Sprint is improving, it is doubtful he has Sprint, nor T-Mobile, unless of course he happens to be good friends with John Legere. The two of them are crazy.

Besides that, there is a new article about Sprint's finances from "The Street" I wanted to share here :

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13319857/1/sprint-needs-more-than-cash-from-softbank-to-survive.html

Normally, I don't bother reading investment related articles not posted on Seeking Alpha, Recode, or Fierce, but I decided to this time around, due to the provocative title. From reading the article, it makes it sound as though Sprint is having difficulty financing devices and is needing Softbank’s help.

This is bad, if true, as it sound as Sprint is relying on Softbank for more than just special projects, but also for everyday business needs. This especially looks bad to those reading it who are not aware of the frequent bias by these analysts toward Sprint.

Yet if this is true, not just bias, and more people are made aware of it, this could be very bad for Sprint.

it's win/win for masa, if the stock prices keep dropping, he just keeps buying for cheaper and cheaper.

if they go up, then obviously his investment value increases.

• Like 1

According to the quote by Jack Nicholson's character if that were meant to apply to S4GRU (playing his part), then that is pretty bad on this site. By the way, regardless of how much Sprint is improving, it is doubtful he has Sprint, nor T-Mobile, unless of course he happens to be good friends with John Legere. The two of them are crazy.

I am sorry, Arysyn -- and this is not to pick on you -- but that famous "As Good As It Gets" quote is in reference to you.  You too frequently "sell crazy" here at S4GRU.  The YouTube clip is not to suggest that you should go elsewhere.  Please stay.  However, you should cut back on hatching your ludicrous ideas.

AJ

• Like 9

Here is another article regarding Sprint's financial situation from an analyst who should focus more on fixing his bad hair than concerning himself with Sprint. Notice these articles continue to get more biased and with sleazier titles the more there are :

http://www.thedeal.com/content/restructuring/sprint-slows-to-a-crawl.php

These "analysts" do the most. They ride on what's good or bad there is no in between. I bet you if John was to announce he was stepping down or T-Mobile was bought out these "analyst" would say T-Mobile is going under. I just don't even bother reading their "opinions."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am sorry, Arysyn -- and this is not to pick on you -- but that famous "As Good As It Gets" quote is in reference to you. You too frequently "sell crazy" here at S4GRU. The YouTube clip is not to suggest that you should go elsewhere. Please stay. However, you should cut back on hatching your ludicrous ideas.

AJ

AJ, I'm seriously, genuinely not trying to force people to agree with my opinions. I admit they sound crazy sometimes because I think very differently. So, I express those opinions often when commenting on things. Although, I think we'd agree that certain opinions can be bad when they are of a personal nature, which of course I don't use and generally don't see much of on here, since those who did so in the past were banned.

My concern is that no one takes my views the wrong way, as it isn't an attack on what they know. I'm getting that feeling though that it may be the case that some people here don't want to hear anything that is of a non-realistic nature, no offense about that, but to me it takes away the value of learning what others think about things, especially if all there is, is to discuss the news of things, or make sure any views stay within the line of realistic possibility.

For instance, many people know and alot of those disagree with my views of the PCS spectrum. I learned from a past discussion of it that it could be aggregated. Then in the recent discussion, people said it couldn't. I try to learn from this site, and it has helped me, though no site being perfect, this recent difference in the aggregation issue has me left just accepting my view and moving on as I did.

Yet, certainly someone being pushy with their views and disrespectful, might use inappropriate language in defense of that, or as an attack over the difference in information I mentioned. I'm definitely not doing that and am not trying to be disruptive either. However, I can only see that perhaps the nature of how I think differently and express that, while certainly is not in poor taste, just isn't fitting with people use to more normal ways of thought.

All I can do, without dragging my history into this which I admit isn't fair to post here, is to say that my life how its been and has led me to how I think, is how I post, a part of how I communicate which isn't offensive in the typical ways of "rules", but then again, can be seen that way by those not use to it. That is why I've mentioned my willingness to leave, because I'm trying to be respectful of the site, but it is impossible for me not to mention my views and ideas.

These "analysts" do the most. They ride on what's good or bad there no in between. I bet you if John was to announce he was stepping down or T-Mobile was bought out these "analyst" would say T-Mobile is going under. I just don't even bother reading their "opinions."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They'd show the same treatment towards T-Mobile as they have towards Sprint, if looking at this in the ways of realistic fairness. However, in terms of doing the right thing and being ethical, hopefully they wouldn't say T-Mobile is going under, as that isn't nice. However, not doing the same as they've done with Sprint, is a double standard.

I suspect though that this is far from over with these analysts towards Sprint. I'm wondering just what is going too far.

• Like 1

Don't know what to think of these negative articles, but it seem Sprint previous board drowned the company very deep. Bonehead moves after move.

They gave Hesse the greenlight to network vision, but under funded from the start. The company still seriously paying for the previous board mistakes. If Marcelo turn this company completely around, it will be one of the greatest turn around in history.

• Like 5