Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Nice ad placement... Haha

ee8bcbf8d7303b22520587d1eebe63d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdefcfda5c086ec33300b800b5089894.jpg

Received that exact ad earlier today.. It's possible that they're specifically targeting Sprint users.

I think I'll stick with my unlimited (occasional) 70Mbps though, nice try Verizon. ;)

• Like 5

Received that exact ad earlier today.. It's possible that they're specifically targeting Sprint users.

I think I'll stick with my unlimited (occasional) 70Mbps though, nice try Verizon. ;)

No, someone on T-Mobile's Reddit page posted about Verizon ads in speed test too.

Verizon plans to raise their unlimited data plan from $29.99 to $49.99 in November, I already pay $80/month before taxes, I'm not looking forward to be paying $100+ per month. If Verizon does raise their unlimited data plan to $49.99 then ill be switching to Sprint, first could i use my iPhone 6S Plus on Sprint? I bought it from Verizon, Will all of the bands work on Sprint? If so I can't wait to join Sprint!

• Like 1

Verizon plans to raise their unlimited data plan from $29.99 to $49.99 in November, I already pay $80/month before taxes, I'm not looking forward to be paying $100+ per month. If Verizon does raise their unlimited data plan to $49.99 then ill be switching to Sprint, first could i use my iPhone 6S Plus on Sprint? I bought it from Verizon, Will all of the bands work on Sprint? If so I can't wait to join Sprint!

Yes, you should be able to use it on sprint and it has all the bands sprint uses for lte.

• Like 1

Yes!

See: http://www.sprint.com/landings/bring-your-own-phone/#!/

See: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

If you do plan to switch to Sprint and get on an unlimited data plan, it might be a good idea to do it before the $10 increase on the 16th of this month.

• Like 3

Just be sure that the Sprint service in your area is adequate for your needs.  Talk with users of it in your area.

• Like 3

Been at a conference out in Seattle (downtown) and I can say 1) LTE here is a mess. Speeds really are slow on B41. Not just on my Note, but others have Sprint too and they've been struggling. However, I've got good signal for LTE most everywhere, the speeds just suffer. 2) I've been very impressed with the battery life on the Note5. I take notes with my phone and with all that and communication with others here at conference, I've had solid battery life into the night.

Sent from my Sprint Note5

• Like 2

Been at a conference out in Seattle (downtown) and I can say 1) LTE here is a mess. Speeds really are slow on B41. Not just on my Note, but others have Sprint too and they've been struggling. However, I've got good signal for LTE most everywhere, the speeds just suffer. 2) I've been very impressed with the battery life on the Note5. I take notes with my phone and with all that and communication with others here at conference, I've had solid battery life into the night.

Are there second band 41 carriers there?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I've not picked them up right around the conference center yet.

Seems like seattle is in desperate need for CA and second carriers. Im sure there are also plenty of towers without band 41 too. This year Sprint has showed major coverage and capacity improvements but they have a very long way to go.

• Like 2

If you do plan to switch to Sprint and get on an unlimited data plan, it might be a good idea to do it before the $10 increase on the 16th of this month.

That is a very valid point.  If you do plan to make the jump to Sprint, I would make your decision by 10/15 (last day to lock in that $60/mo rate) or else the rate will increase to $70/mo beginning 10/16.  You won't have time to wait until November to see if your Verizon bill will be increased to $49.99 for unlimited data which I honestly think the majority of the remaining unlimited data Verizon customers will see since they are not under contract.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the negativity comes from the C class Moody's rating. The Moody's people are not biased at all when issuing their ratings. That's a big part of the issues. I know this might be a contrarian point here, but improved network performance doesn't necessarily mean that Sprint will improve their financials.

Trying to improve financials and improve the network at the same time is going to be really difficult. I don't want to be Mr. Negative but if Sprint could improve both that would be unprecedented.

• Like 2

That is a very valid point. If you do plan to make the jump to Sprint, I would make your decision by 10/15 (last day to lock in that $60/mo rate) or else the rate will increase to $70/mo beginning 10/16. You won't have time to wait until November to see if your Verizon bill will be increased to $49.99 for unlimited data which I honestly think the majority of the remaining unlimited data Verizon customers will see since they are not under contract.

Unless you want 3GB of tethering. The new $70 plan has this, but the $60 plan doesn't
  • Like 1

Unless you want 3GB of tethering. The new $70 plan has this, but the $60 plan doesn't

Where does it say about the 3gb tethering? Even then that would be a YMMV situation. Still good to see sprint trying to match tmobile.

I hate to say this given that I certainly am not a fan of T-Mobile, which should be quite obvious by now here on S4GRU. Also, while I wouldn't consider myself a Sprint fan, I certainly like Sprint far more than I like T-Mobile and I respect Marcelo Claure and believe when Sprint finally gets to that high position he mentions, Marcelo will end up doing more good than what many people erroneously claim John Legere "supposedly" has done.

With that said, if I were in Seattle, the only carrier I'd have there, or anywhere in the Pacific Northwest, is T-Mobile. Their spectrum holdings in that region are so high, giving them so much promise in capacity I just couldn't pass up if I were there.

I hate to say this given that I certainly am not a fan of T-Mobile, which should be quite obvious by now here on S4GRU. Also, while I wouldn't consider myself a Sprint fan, I certainly like Sprint far more than I like T-Mobile and I respect Marcelo Claure and believe when Sprint finally gets to that high position he mentions, Marcelo will end up doing more good than what many people erroneously claim John Legere "supposedly" has done.

With that said, if I were in Seattle, the only carrier I'd have there, or anywhere in the Pacific Northwest, is T-Mobile. Their spectrum holdings in that region are so high, giving them so much promise in capacity I just couldn't pass up if I were there.

I agree. My cousin is in seattle and he has Tmobile and his sister has Sprint. He says Sprint has coverage but it is not as fast as Tmobile. In my area T-Mobile has very high spectrum holdings also. Basically covered in 20x20 b4 and 5x5 b12. They have enough to add a 10x10 b2 also so to me this may put tmobile in one of the best positions in my area if not the best. I would say around here Verizon, Tmobile, Sprint then At&t in Spectrum holdings. Verizon, Sprint, At&t, T-Mobile in coverage position and data reliability Verizon, Tmobile, At&t, Sprint.
  • Like 1

Where does it say about the 3gb tethering? Even then that would be a YMMV situation. Still good to see sprint trying to match tmobile.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/3ncviw/70_unlimited_plan_includes_3gb_hotspot/

• Like 2

Thanks. Just needed the confirmation. This is great for those that need tethering.  Still doesn't match Tmobile's 7 GB of tethering for its unlimited data plan but 3 GB is still fine since its only $70 vs. $80 for Tmobile.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the negativity comes from the C class Moody's rating. The Moody's people are not biased at all when issuing their ratings. That's a big part of the issues. I know this might be a contrarian point here, but improved network performance doesn't necessarily mean that Sprint will improve their financials.

Trying to improve financials and improve the network at the same time is going to be really difficult. I don't want to be Mr. Negative but if Sprint could improve both that would be unprecedented.

I also can confirm its in the info about the new plan on our internal system.

Thanks. Just needed the confirmation. This is great for those that need tethering.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I agree. My cousin is in seattle and he has Tmobile and his sister has Sprint. He says Sprint has coverage but it is not as fast as Tmobile. In my area T-Mobile has very high spectrum holdings also. Basically covered in 20x20 b4 and 5x5 b12. They have enough to add a 10x10 b2 also so to me this may put tmobile in one of the best positions in my area if not the best. I would say around here Verizon, Tmobile, Sprint then At&t in Spectrum holdings. Verizon, Sprint, At&t, T-Mobile in coverage position and data reliability Verizon, Tmobile, At&t, Sprint.

If only the carriers would have that spectrum here in Chicago. From what I'm aware of, which I may be wrong about a bit, AWS-1 LTE spectrum holdings here are 20x20 on Verizon, 15x15 on T-Mobile, and 10x10 on AT&T. I don't know what the low band spectrum holdings are for the carriers around here, except that Sprint has 5x5, T-Mobile doesn't have any.

Regarding PCS, while I'm unaware of other carriers PCS holdings except for Sprint and T-Mobile, I think T-Mobile has 10x10 for HSPA+, and 5x5 for Voice, etc., though if they were to use VoLTE and get rid of HSPA+, they could have 15x15 PCS LTE, which I believe they ought to do since Chicago is fairly dense enough already for T-Mobile, except for maybe a few areas such as on the stretch of LaGrange Road between Hodgkin's and Orland Park, which has spotty coverage on T-Mobile. That would give T-Mobile the LTE capacity of 15x15 AWS-1 and 15x15 PCS.

Considering Dish gave up their AWS-3 spectrum in Chicago, since T-Mobile was the second bidder for that and if they won it at the redo auction for that spectrum, it would give T-Mobile 15x15 AWS-3 spectrum, at least that is the amount I read somewhere Dish won of it. If correct, that would give T-Mobile 90mhz of spectrum for LTE here in Chicago.

Then, if T-Mobile were to be less conservative at the 600mhz auction and go for 15x15 of 600mhz spectrum, that would bump the spectrum here to 120mhz and make it very capable of handling unlimited data both indoors and outdoors. Meanwhile, Sprint ought to aggregate their PCS spectrum, and soon, as it'll take some time to densifying for band 41 to be competitive.

Chunks of 5x5 PCS just isn't enough, and is a major reason why I'm not fond of Sprint's PCS spectrum holdings. They ought to aggregate it, or swap it for some thing more like a single chunk of spectrum, or just sell it once band 41 densification is complete. The sale of it would help finance that well.

• Like 1

If only the carriers would have that spectrum here in Chicago. From what I'm aware of, which I may be wrong about a bit, AWS-1 LTE spectrum holdings here are 20x20 on Verizon, 15x15 on T-Mobile, and 10x10 on AT&T. I don't know what the low band spectrum holdings are for the carriers around here, except that Sprint has 5x5, T-Mobile doesn't have any.

Regarding PCS, while I'm unaware of other carriers PCS holdings except for Sprint and T-Mobile, I think T-Mobile has 10x10 for HSPA+, and 5x5 for Voice, etc., though if they were to use VoLTE and get rid of HSPA+, they could have 15x15 PCS LTE, which I believe they ought to do since Chicago is fairly dense enough already for T-Mobile, except for maybe a few areas such as on the stretch of LaGrange Road between Hodgkin's and Orland Park, which has spotty coverage on T-Mobile. That would give T-Mobile the LTE capacity of 15x15 AWS-1 and 15x15 PCS.

Considering Dish gave up their AWS-3 spectrum in Chicago, since T-Mobile was the second bidder for that and if they won it at the redo auction for that spectrum, it would give T-Mob 

Then, if T-Mobile were to be less conservative at the 600mhz auction and go for 15x15 of 600mhz spectrum, that would bump the spectrum here to 120mhz and make it very capable of handling unlimited data both indoors and outdoors. Meanwhile, Sprint ought to aggregate their PCS spectrum, and soon, as it'll take some time to densifying for band 41 to be competitive.

Chunks of 5x5 PCS just isn't enough, and is a major reason why I'm not fond of Sprint's PCS spectrum holdings. They ought to aggregate it, or swap it for some thing more like a single chunk of spectrum, or just sell it once band 41 densification is complete. The sale of it would help finance that well.

Sprint can't easily aggregate its 5x5 PCS LTE carriers on their network currently because Sprint has yet to sell any devices which allow B25-B25 CA.  What Sprint really needs to do to begin transition to PCS LTE CA  is by starting to sell B25-B25 CA devices in its 2016 flagships so that the phones going forward are able to support this feature even though its not currently configured at the NV site.  Even if Sprint had the resources to do this currently on the network they can't since customers will not be able to connect to it.  Now this is not to confuse this with markets that currently deploy 10x10 LTE since it uses contiguous spectrum which Sprint has been supporting on its phones for the last 2-3 years which doesn't use CA.

I am glad Sprint starting supported B41-B41 CA but they really need to add B25-B25 CA in the future since Sprint eventually will phase out CDMA and it would be nice to aggregate their PCS A-F blocks with the non-contiguous PCS G block to create faster speeds and wider channels.

• Like 1

I don't know how many times we've restated this. There will be no band 25 intraband carrier aggregation.

Sprint macro network equipment are not capable due it's manufacturing and design generation and there is absolutely 0 plans to do so.

Just drop it. It's simply not going to happen.

Sent from my LG-H790

I don't know how many times we've restated this. There will be no band 25 intraband carrier aggregation.

Sprint macro network equipment are not capable due it's manufacturing and design generation and there is absolutely 0 plans to do so.

Just drop it. It's simply not going to happen.

Sent from my LG-H790

If nothing can be done but to leave PCS at 5x5, then while I understand the importance of PCS while Sprint still is densifying their network for band 41, which considering Sprint's vast amounts of band 41 spectrum, especially when it's in more use with a denser network upon completion of NGN and 3x CA, at that point it just doesn't make sense to have such limited chunks of 5x5 PCS that won't provide the same high quality experience of band 41, nor provide the in-building experience of Sprint's low band spectrum.

I think Sprint would do better by participating in the 600mhz auction and try to get at least 10x10, if not more, like 15x15 of the spectrum, then begin selling off some PCS spectrum, until they can implement the 600mhz spectrum fully, which then Sprint could sell of as much PCS spectrum as they need to cover those auction costs.

Sprint would do fine having 120mhz band 41 and 30mhz of 600mhz spectrum, if they went for 15x15 of 600mhz, which would be good enough capacity, speed, and building penetration, also covering distance where band 41 still doesn't reach enough, areas that PCS wouldn't even do so well at either.