Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

My point is, you can have a GS6/6s on AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile and get simultaneous calling/data, whereas with Sprint on an S6/6s, you can't.  Sure, people can use a Galaxy S3 for SvDo, but they miss out on accessing the other two bands of Sprint's network.  The only thing that'll enable Sprint to enable simultaneous voice/data will be VoLTE.  But as IamMrFamous07 said, the network needs to be more dense. 

Sprint could potentially roll out a per market based VoLTE solution. For example NYC, Sprint is incredibly dense. I usually have to force 3G to see it, some other markets come to mind as well.

• Like 3

Sprint could potentially roll out a per market based VoLTE solution. For example NYC, Sprint is incredibly dense. I usually have to force 3G to see it, some other markets come to mind as well.

They totally should.  NYC, Chicago, and Denver would be good markets for testing.  I also think if the call is connected to B26, they should program the phone to hold onto it a little bit passed -120dBm.

• Like 2

They totally should.  NYC, Chicago, and Denver would be good markets for testing.  I also think if the call is connected to B26, they should program the phone to hold onto it a little bit passed -120dBm.

Once we get the second carriers (B41 and B25) I dont see capacity or coverage being of any concern, and if they push the threshold on those bands, that can offer a bit of extra relief to B26 and maybe truly cover 100% of the 3G footprint (currently, id peg it at about 90% here in NYC)

Once we get the second carriers (B41 and B25) I dont see capacity or coverage being of any concern, and if they push the threshold on those bands, that can offer a bit of extra relief to B26 and maybe truly cover 100% of the 3G footprint (currently, id peg it at about 90% here in NYC)

That would be absolutely glorious if they programmed B26 to reach EvDo in my market.  I want to blame Ericsson for bad configuration.  Doesn't Sprint bring the optimization in-house starting Nov 1st, when the contract expires?

That would be absolutely glorious if they programmed B26 to reach EvDo in my market.  I want to blame Ericsson for bad configuration.  Doesn't Sprint bring the optimization in-house starting Nov 1st, when the contract expires?

That would make a ton of sense to bring it inhouse. But I think its well optimized for the current configuration in NYC. For example where I am now these are my readings with my N6 coming from same site...

B25 -95dBm

B26 -76dBm

3G  -70dBm

So its almost there, but not quite. 

That would make a ton of sense to bring it inhouse. But I think its well optimized for the current configuration where I live. For example where I am now these are my readings with my N6 from same site...

B25 -95dBm

B26 -76dBm

3G  -70dBm

So its almost there, but not quite. 

I've got -100 B25, -89 to -95 B26, and -69 for EvDo.  I'm hoping things get better soon, with the densification.  I wish Sprint would give us more detail about it. 

• Like 1

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-09/sprint-s-cost-structure-is-bloated-new-cfo-robbiati-says

Robbiati outlined some of the details of a cost-cutting planannounced last week in an interview late Wednesday. Capital expenditures at Sprint, the smallest of the top four U.S. wireless companies, are disproportionately large by industry standards, said the CFO, who didn’t specify how many jobs may be eliminated.

“Our cost structure is bloated,” Robbiati said by phone from Tokyo, where he was meeting with executives from Sprint’s controlling shareholder, SoftBank Group Corp.

• Like 1

“It draws a picture of a company that is playing for time, and trying to conserve cash to make it until a new administration when they can try again to find a merger partner,” Moffett said. “There doesn’t seem to be a plan b any more.”

Classic Moffett

• Like 1

Yeah, i don't know why he's the go-to guy when financial writers are doing a story on Sprint. Even if they want someone that's bearish on S, seems like they could find somebody more objective than Muppet.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I want to blame Ericsson for bad configuration.  Doesn't Sprint bring the optimization in-house starting Nov 1st, when the contract expires?

The contract goes for another year, and the odds of Sprint taking it back in house are slim to none. I won't be surprised to see them go with a different company (Nokia) though.

The contract goes for another year, and the odds of Sprint taking it back in house are slim to none. I won't be surprised to see them go with a different company (Nokia) though.

Well, let's at least hope Nokia's standards are better.  Is Ericsson's optimization contract nationwide, or is it divided into each sector? (ie: Samsung's northern portion, Alcatel's Western/Eastern portions, and Ericsson's southern/center portion.)

That might work for some markets, but there are plenty (like mine, with near-complete LTE deployment) where LTE only covers about 65% of the 3G footprint. Sprint needs to densify those places before they think about national VoLTE.

(I'm not saying they shouldn't go ahead and enable it/test it in dense markets. Just not everywhere all at once.)

• Like 4

That might work for some markets, but there are plenty (like mine, with near-complete LTE deployment) where LTE only covers about 65% of the 3G footprint. Sprint needs to densify those places before they think about national VoLTE.

(I'm not saying they shouldn't go ahead and enable it/test it in dense markets. Just not everywhere all at once.)

I meant this for NYC and some other very dense markets.

• Like 2

Aside from the doom and gloom from Moffett, the article was a good read. Return to profitable business will be hard to accomplish short term as the article pointed out: no company has successfully cut costs, increased capital expenditures, and gained market share at the same time.

Ultimately though Son stated he has committed to Sprint in the long term and does see a way to get them healthy again which gives me confidence. Even so I wouldn't buy shares until maybe this time next year to see what effect cost cutting and NGN has had.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-robbiati-we-can-cut-2b-operating-expenses-500m-equipment-spending/2015-10-09

"Sprint is trying to improve its network, cut costs and grow market share all at the same time, which might not be possible, according to some analysts." "We've seen companies do one or two of these things at once but never all three. I'm not saying it's impossible, but they are going somewhere no other company has gone before," Cowen & Co. analyst Colby Synesael told Bloomberg.

Having to do all three wouldn't be easy and would clearly take time. It doesn't happen over night, and I have seen improvement in Sprint within the past year; though they still have a very tough road ahead of them.

• Like 1

Having to do all three wouldn't be easy and would clearly take time. It doesn't happen over night, and I have seen improvement in Sprint within the past year; though they still have a very tough road ahead of them.

We have to think though, if Sprint manages to pull all three of these things off, that would be extremely impressive.

-Anthony

• Like 3

We have to think though, if Sprint manages to pull all three of these things off, that would be extremely impressive.

-Anthony

I believe if Marcelo and Masayoshi are truly motivated in making Sprint a competitor, they both have the smarts and know-how to manage all three and be successful. 

• Like 4

Here is a new article about Sprint on Seeking Alpha :

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3562386-sprint-cost-cutting-is-a-sign-of-desperation

There have been so many negative articles like this about Sprint lately, I'm considering taking a break from searching Sprint under Google News, instead relying solely on S4GRU for news regarding Sprint. It really would be nice to hear something from one of these sites about new Sprint devices, NGN, at least something more neutral than what is being reported about Sprint.

Furthermore, this negativity is likely to hurt Sprint's business further in the public image, to where I often wonder where the legal line is drawn in how much of this reporting can legally continue in the realm of free speech vs. slander.

I hope that perhaps if this reporting is true, there is something to this which Softbank is trying to get out of somehow, such as Sprint being in bad shape might help them have more reason for the FCC to allow a merger with T-Mobile. I'm also curious if Softbank were to buy enough of Sprint to make it a private company, off of the NYSE and more in their control overall, would that somehow also make a merger with T-Mobile easier.

I want the best for Sprint, and I know people here on S4GRU do as well. Also, many here believe Sprint can make a better network with NGN, which I believe in too. However, I can't help but think Masa Son isn't fully as interested in NGN as we are, because I think he may still be tied into his vision for T-Mobile, which means alot of money spent where NGN may not be able to financially co-exist with this merger idea. Not trying to be negative about Sprint by saying that though, just an observation.

• Like 3

It's ALMOST like certain nameless interests are paying these 'news sources' and the 'analysts' they interview to shine a negative light on Sprint. ALMOST.

But yea, I stopped reading 'Sprint news' awhile ago too and instead rely solely on S4GRU and /r/sprint. Even FierceWireless has turned negative on Sprint. I guess certain interests feel threatened? 

Keep your ear to the ground about updates in your area, and keep in touch / participate here. That's my plan. Oh and enjoy my unlimited service and awesome phone :D

• Like 6

They just want everyone to never forget that Sprint is done no matter what the network looks like. Evidence of that was when the rootmetrics results came out and Sprint was literally breathing on AT&T necks in overall quality. The outlets turned a blind eye to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I wonder why the analysts predict ARPU to continue to fall. My expectation is that many people will be off the no "line charges" promotion (myself included) which should boost ARPU substantially. These latest iPhone Forever promos are great for encouraging people to not leave Sprint when that bill increase happens.

On that note: RIP Sprint phone center employees when the first bills with line charges are sent to customers.

On top of all the above, the unlimited plan increase will also raise ARPU. 

• Like 2