Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Verizons small cell densification project is beyond this world. So many damn small cells everywhere popping up without warning.

Sent from my Nexus 5

They are densifying their macro network too. They have added 5 sites in my area in the past year. They now have 17 sites in a city of 75,000 people. Up from 12.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 2

Verizons small cell densification project is beyond this world. So many damn small cells everywhere popping up without warning.

Sent from my Nexus 5

They have been moving quickly here in Los Angeles.  Every installation that I've seen involved ripping up the sidewalk for a small underground vault.  A vast majority have been on city owned street light poles.

They are densifying their macro network too. They have added 5 sites in my area in the past year. They now have 17 sites in a city of 75,000 people. Up from 12.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

Are the speeds improving there? You seen any band 2 yet? Haven't been there since last thanksgiving the speeds weren't that great then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are the speeds improving there? You seen any band 2 yet? Haven't been there since last thanksgiving the speeds weren't that great then.

Highly variable.  No B2 or B5, yet.  B13 runs from 500kbps to 5-6Mbps.  B4 runs 5-20Mbps.  You can find an unburdened sector that will shoot up to 40-50Mbps.  But those are becoming less and less common.

At the added density sites, speeds shoot up to 30-40Mbps right away, but settle right back to 5-20Mbps in a few weeks.  I think initially they are installed to cover a small area.  Then they start optimizing site and all the sites around it, which allows their speeds to go up some from the low end of B13/B4 more to the upper end.  Then the increased cell size on the new site after optimization causes speeds to go back down to the high of normal.

So the added density really doesn't increase top end speeds at all, but reduces the number of sites and sectors operating at the low end.

I don't comment on FW to begin with, but now there's a "mandate" to not post at all. I found that hilarious.

He mentions S4GRU every post now. He's very obsessive when he gets into each of his phases. [emoji6]

Sent from my M8

• Like 2

He mentions S4GRU every post now. He's very obsessive when he gets into each of his phases. [emoji6]

Sent from my M8

Yeah, but it is better to just let it go. No mandate has been given, though. 

That chick either works for T-Mobile, was fired from Sprint or kicked out of here. Either way she has serious psychological issues. There's only one payed service I can see someone becoming obsessed with ands it's not a wireless carrier.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

There's only one payed service I can see someone becoming obsessed with ands it's not a wireless carrier.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Health insurance?

• Like 1

Yeah, I read about this yesterday.  I like it.  I wonder which messaging app they will put it in?

It sounds like they want RCS baked in the very core of Android. This could be spectacular for VoLTE interoperability as well as making RCS a standard like iMessage is on iOS. I don't know if the video or file sharing capabilities are important for Google, but I know that the advanced messaging capabilities are. Some of the RCS video sharing capabilities could be updated and modernized a little bit, but Google would know how to do that. 

• Like 4

Sprint CFO sent out a memo to employees today that $2.5 billion in cuts will be made over the next six months.  Job layoffs expected.  For comparison, the company spent $7.5 billion the three months of April, May, June.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2808636-sprint-memo-up-to-2_5b-in-cost-cuts-will-mean-job-reductions

• Like 1

Sprint CFO sent out a memo to employees today that $2.5 billion in cuts will be made over the next six months. Job layoffs expected. For comparison, the company spent $7.5 billion the three months of April, May, June.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2808636-sprint-memo-up-to-2_5b-in-cost-cuts-will-mean-job-reductions

Think of the poor stock! This also really sucks for those that may lose their jobs. But looking at the balance sheet, it seemed like operating costs were a lot higher than T-Mobile's, regardless of Sprint being relatively the same size.

Sent from my M8

• Like 3

$7.5 billion for three months sure is alot of money. Although considering the reports here on S4GRU of new site upgrades being spotted, even some new sites coming online, etc., it does seem that Sprint is really moving fast with network improvements.

Oh, and that is just from what I've read in the Chicago Market threads in the Network and Premier sections. I haven't read the other market threads. Although, if someone here would like to gather the information pertaining to how many of these developments in every market listed here on S4GRU in those months, even in the months since then too, we could get at least a general idea of the network improvements Sprint has made, at the very least.

$7.5 billion for three months sure is alot of money. Although considering the reports here on S4GRU of new site upgrades being spotted, even some new sites coming online, etc., it does seem that Sprint is really moving fast with network improvements.

Oh, and that is just from what I've read in the Chicago Market threads in the Network and Premier sections. I haven't read the other market threads. Although, if someone here would like to gather the information pertaining to how many of these developments in every market listed here on S4GRU in those months, even in the months since then too, we could get at least a general idea of the network improvements Sprint has made, at the very least.

In the SF market we've found 1 new B25 site that's presumably full build since it has 3 sectors (via SCP only, haven't found the exact physical location yet but have it narrowed down to a few blocks). We've also found a cluster of B41 small cells in an area where Clearwire had deployed WiMax small cells. Again, these have only been seen in SCP, no one has physically located them yet. They each only have 1 sector.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

Or alternatively they are announcing job cuts because everyone else is like AMD, Caterpillar, Samsung, Lockheed Martin :( , BAE :( , and plenty of others

We're going through a "consolidation" exercise currently. Market forces at work.

• Like 1

It sounds like they want RCS baked in the very core of Android. This could be spectacular for VoLTE interoperability as well as making RCS a standard like iMessage is on iOS. I don't know if the video or file sharing capabilities are important for Google, but I know that the advanced messaging capabilities are. Some of the RCS video sharing capabilities could be updated and modernized a little bit, but Google would know how to do that.

I agree, baked into Android to rival Apple imessage. I figure they want this done as they spread and gain foothold in emerging markets.

I'm definitely looking forward to this taking off!

Sent from my SM-N910T

Edited by Houston_Texas
  • Like 1

We're going through a "consolidation" exercise currently. Market forces at work.

If that's what goes on with mobile... ouch. 

Looks like we may have our answer to why they are not bidding. Sounds like JL smart comments about not having money may be true. Or this could be sprint saving 2.5bil for the auction. Either way it's still sad to hear people losing jobs.

• Like 1

If that's what goes on with mobile... ouch.

To be fair, though, that's more a matter of combining two or more business units and eliminating redundant roles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk