Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

A niche market with 75% market share

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't think he was referring to the entire Android population. 

Just us geeks as the niche.

When should we expect to see LTE 800 capable devices become available from Sprint?

This summer there will be hotspot/USB devices. This Fall for smartphones.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

have you wondered why such knowledgeable people (like Robert, AJ, digiblur) all prefer Android?

Haven't put much thought in to it, but I'd imagine it's some combination of personal preference and the much wider availability of network diagnostic tools for the Android platform.

As for worrying greatly about "Page, Brin, Schmidt & Co" mining your data, that is flat out paranoia, the realm of the tinfoil hat crowd.

Not paranoia, it's reality. It's well documented how much usage data Android collects and sends back to Google. I don't literally think the Google executive suite is sitting around poring over my phone calls, that was sort of tongue-in-cheek. But Google is first and foremost an advertising company - they don't give Android away for free because it feels good. They do so to collect usage data and build a more precise marketing profile on you. Log in to your Google account on a desktop/laptop machine and poke around your dashboard - you may be surprised to see how much information they have gleaned about you. Or you may not care about your privacy at all.. to each his own. Myself, I'm not spending money on a smart phone to give Google the privilege of showing me better customized ads. They should give the phone away for free if that's the case.

Apple on the other hand is a hardware company - they make the bulk of their profits on overpriced devices and bulk sales of apps. They are certainly not without faults, not the least of which includes shady labor practices in China. 

I've never defended Apple here nor have I bashed any other hardware manufacturer. Rather I was pointing out the childish "mine's better than yours" attitude that seems to prevail. A little good-natured ribbing is always fun, but when a bias becomes ingrained and routine the culture becomes such that sponsors may not want to continue supporting the site. I like coming here not only for the Sprint updates but the unrivaled wealth of cell network knowledge in general. I would not be surprised to find others here who feel the same way.

• Like 1

Haven't put much thought in to it, but I'd imagine it's some combination of personal preference and the much wider availability of network diagnostic tools for the Android platform.

Not paranoia, it's reality. It's well documented how much usage data Android collects and sends back to Google. I don't literally think the Google executive suite is sitting around poring over my phone calls, that was sort of tongue-in-cheek. But Google is first and foremost an advertising company - they don't give Android away for free because it feels good. They do so to collect usage data and build a more precise marketing profile on you. Log in to your Google account on a desktop/laptop machine and poke around your dashboard - you may be surprised to see how much information they have gleaned about you. Or you may not care about your privacy at all.. to each his own. Myself, I'm not spending money on a smart phone to give Google the privilege of showing me better customized ads. They should give the phone away for free if that's the case.

Apple on the other hand is a hardware company - they make the bulk of their profits on overpriced devices and bulk sales of apps. They are certainly not without faults, not the least of which includes shady labor practices in China. 

I've never defended Apple here nor have I bashed any other hardware manufacturer. Rather I was pointing out the childish "mine's better than yours" attitude that seems to prevail. A little good-natured ribbing is always fun, but when a bias becomes ingrained and routine the culture becomes such that sponsors may not want to continue supporting the site. I like coming here not only for the Sprint updates but the unrivaled wealth of cell network knowledge in general. I would not be surprised to find others here who feel the same way.

I did not see anything that I would see as iPhone bashing from S4GRU staff.  To state why iOS doesn't meet your needs or Android does, or vice versa, is not bias.  It is preference.  S4GRU is open to all people, regardless of OS preference.  However, at this time, for the pure wireless nerd demographic, Android typically provides an experience that gives the most usable network info to the geek set.  

And, as AJ pointed out above, pure Android devices are typically the worst Android devices at getting network data.  I sometimes want to throw my Nexus 4 out the window because it stealths from me a lot of network data that I want to know.  So most of us are not in love with Android, as so much as we are in love with wanting to know about the network.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

Do people read entire posts or just assume a negative connotation about apple means they must hate apple? I mean come on. I own an ipad for Petes sakes, i dont hate apple, i even said they are a great company.

Anyway, the coverage will get better without a doubt. I hope the new iPhone prefers 800 over 1900 so the apple peeps can enjoy it as much as the androiders around here.

And no, I am not on staff here, so don't try to bash the site staff because I denounced your precious iPhone.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Do people read entire posts or just assume a negative connotation about apple means they must hate apple? I mean come on. I own an ipad for Petes sakes, i dont hate apple, i even said they are a great company.

Anyway, the coverage will get better without a doubt. I hope the new iPhone prefers 800 over 1900 so the apple peeps can enjoy it as much as the androiders around here.

And no, I am not on staff here, so don't try to bash the site staff because I denounced your precious iPhone.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Is there a way to update the I5 PRL to search for 800 over 1900? I understand it is set up right now to prefer 1900. Just wondering.

Is there a way to update the I5 PRL to search for 800 over 1900? I understand it is set up right now to prefer 1900. Just wondering.

From what I undestand, reading earlier posts, is no you cant.  Now, that could be wrong, so take with a grain of salt.  I only own an ipad (which work stuck a verizon data card in heh).  I know I poked around on my mothers iphone trying to figure something, anything relevent out, but I cant figure it out, only to update network info (which I assume is prl)

So back on topic.

I'm curious though, with 800mhz coming onair soon enough, I wonder how the new coverage maps will look like.

Are we expecting a big light up or a gradual increase in pace once the countdown hits zero?

Are we expecting a big light up or a gradual increase in pace once the countdown hits zero?

I have no inside info on this.  I'm guessing it will not be an immediate overnight light up of 1000's of sites.  But I would guess a pretty rapid succession of CDMA 800 acceptances for the 90-120 day period after June 30th.  And I would expect new sites would start being deployed with 3G and 800 together from the get go.  Maybe even CDMA 800 and LTE 1900 together, as the 800 is more like the LTE in the fact it does not need to be brought online in clusters.  Eventually getting to LTE 800/1900 and CDMA 800 being deployed all together at new sites.

Robert

• Like 3

I haven't found a lick of 800SMR around our area yet.  I suspect they are waiting due to the logistics of having to tiptoe around iDen.

I have no inside info on this.  I'm guessing it will not be an immediate overnight light up of 1000's of sites.  But I would guess a pretty rapid succession of CDMA 800 acceptances for the 90-120 day period after June 30th.  And I would expect new sites would start being deployed with 3G and 800 together from the get go.  Maybe even CDMA 800 and LTE 1900 together, as the 800 is more like the LTE in the fact it does not need to be brought online in clusters.  Eventually getting to LTE 800/1900 and CDMA 800 being deployed all together at new sites.

Robert

Also, the areas just north of Mexico and south of Canada probably won't be part of the initial acceptances. Not till 2014 last I read.

Also, the areas just north of Mexico and south of Canada probably won't be part of the initial acceptances. Not till 2014 last I read.

Definitely.  I don't think there is going to be any movement on 800MHz in the IBEZ in 2013.

Robert

So On July 1... All Nextel phones will cease to have any cell connections?

Yup.

AJ

• Like 2

I've been wondering about that, hopefully it will be an expedited light up.

From what I undestand, reading earlier posts, is no you cant.  Now, that could be wrong, so take with a grain of salt.  I only own an ipad (which work stuck a verizon data card in heh).  I know I poked around on my mothers iphone trying to figure something, anything relevent out, but I cant figure it out, only to update network info (which I assume is prl)

In theory, if there is a way to write a custom PRL, you should be able to, if our good friend Digiblur is able to get a custom PRL written.

From what I undestand, reading earlier posts, is no you cant. Now, that could be wrong, so take with a grain of salt. I only own an ipad (which work stuck a verizon data card in heh). I know I poked around on my mothers iphone trying to figure something, anything relevent out, but I cant figure it out, only to update network info (which I assume is prl)

In theory, if there is a way to write a custom PRL, you should be able to, if our good friend Digiblur is able to get a custom PRL written.

The PRL is already written. Take one from a Note2 or something like that.

Sent from my little Note2

Oh, come on. In good fun, I teased *another staff member* about his use of an iPhone. Because of its locked down, walled garden nature, iPhone cannot do many of the things that wireless network nerds do, such as use Sensorly mapping, swap PRLs, have fully functioning engineering screens, etc. That does not make anyone who chooses an iPhone a "moron, rube, technophobe, or whatever" -- those are your words. But it does take away from their wireless network nerd-dom, as they prioritize less the things that wireless network nerds prioritize most. In the end, iPhone users need to buck up and be less sensitive.

As for worrying greatly about "Page, Brin, Schmidt & Co" mining your data, that is flat out paranoia, the realm of the tinfoil hat crowd.

AJ

But but but I can change the PRLs on my iphone easily ;)

I haven't found a lick of 800SMR around our area yet.  I suspect they are waiting due to the logistics of having to tiptoe around iDen.

Weren't the early 800SMR areas hijacked from iDen frequencies by turning off part of Nextel's bandwidth? This was in places like Chicago, where the very limited 1900PCS was almost useless due to oversaturation.  One would guess that as soon as they have totally turned off Nextel, locations that have NV upgrades in place, and new ones coming online, will get 800 quickly.