Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Is there a way to update the I5 PRL to search for 800 over 1900? I understand it is set up right now to prefer 1900. Just wondering.

But but but I can change the PRLs on my iphone easily ;)

If your phone is jailbroken, then yes you can change PRLs. It's not easy but it's not particularly difficult either. See this post earlier in the thread.

digiblur maintains links to all current PRLs offsite here.

• Like 1

If your phone is jailbroken, then yes you can change PRLs. It's not easy but it's not particularly difficult either. See this post earlier in the thread.

digiblur maintains links to all current PRLs offsite here.

Ok thanks, I'll take a look at it

What is required for LTE 800 to be turned on? A Card?

That sounds like a word the general public would find acceptable for the actual real base station changes required for 800 Lte to broadcast out of the Sprint NV antenna panels. "A card"

A for Advanced ;)

Ok I should know this but remind me is the 800 mhz  stuff going live in NV now (not in NV2.0) just for voice calls and 1x data or will it be 3G also?

Ok I should know this but remind me is the 800 mhz stuff going live in NV now (not in NV2.0) just for voice calls and 1x data or will it be 3G also?

Just 800MHz voice and 1x data. There isn't enough spectrum for 800SMR EVDO. NV 2.0 is the rollout of 800LTE.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Ok I should know this but remind me is the 800 mhz  stuff going live in NV now (not in NV2.0) just for voice calls and 1x data or will it be 3G also?

Yeah, you should know this.  CDMA1X is 3G, so your question makes no sense.

;)

AJ

• Like 3

Yeah, you should know this.  CDMA1X is 3G, so your question makes no sense.

;)

AJ

I'm having a bad day. I'm having a mental block, 24 hour brain tumor, or just tired.  I was thinking of the data rate you get when your phone no longer says 3G. I thought that was referred to as 1x. Somewhere around 50-100khz. 

Basically I was wondering when 800 lights up will i get better data speeds (not counting LTE on any band) inside some of the places I hang out where the current signal is weak or I will just have more reliable calling in there. I hope its signs of work being done but browsing the net and using Tapatalk is getting unbearably slow lately around work.  The boss loves that.

That sounds like a word the general public would find acceptable for the actual real base station changes required for 800 Lte to broadcast out of the Sprint NV antenna panels. "A card"

A for Advanced ;)

I thought in order to turn LTE 800 on, you needed some type of component card.

Everyone's just being a stickler today.  Some markets, like Samsung markets, this is the case, others will need more work.

Everyone's just being a stickler today. Some markets, like Samsung markets, this is the case, others will need more work.

All vendors have dual use certified RRUs.

Sent from my little Note2

I'm having a bad day. I'm having a mental block, 24 hour brain tumor, or just tired.  I was thinking of the data rate you get when your phone no longer says 3G. I thought that was referred to as 1x. Somewhere around 50-100khz.

CDMA1X and EV-DO are both 3G. So, 3G is not a very descriptive generic term. It could even be referring to W-CDMA.

For our purposes, call the Sprint relevant airlinks what they are: CDMA1X, EV-DO, LTE, TD-LTE, and WiMAX.

Basically I was wondering when 800 lights up will i get better data speeds (not counting LTE on any band) inside some of the places I hang out where the current signal is weak or I will just have more reliable calling in there. I hope its signs of work being done but browsing the net and using Tapatalk is getting unbearably slow lately around work.  The boss loves that.

If nothing else, you will likely have CDMA1X 800 voice and data (but not simultaneously) inside. CDMA1X 800 data will still be in the 100 kbps range. This is one advantage that Sprint will still lack compared to VZW and AT&T. In most markets, the duopoly has fallback to EV-DO 850 and W-CDMA 850, respectively.

AJ

• Like 3

Honestly 1x is more usable sometimes than evdo is. I think it has a lot to do with congestion. Once NV is running here, I think things will really start to look nice. I had no problem sending mms on 1x the other night. I can't say the same when my att phone was on edge, edge absolutely crawls.

In case you guys missed my other post in the PRL thread...the latest round of PRLs  56015, 25015, 51097(iphone5), etc...basically all 800SMR capable devices have new updates as of 6/5/2013. 

to make it easier let's just say what's not 800SMR scanned now:

Here are the only 4 800SMR SIDs that are NOT in the scans:

22429,Sprint Nextel,Boise ID; Brigham City UT; Jackson Hole WY; Salt Lake City UT; St. George UT
22433,Sprint Nextel,Pendleton OR; Sandpoint ID; Spokane WA
22449,Sprint Nextel,Charlotte Amalie VI; Ponce PR; San Juan PR
22450,Sprint Nextel,Charlotte WV; Lynchburg VA; Roanoke VA

I also just looked at the iPhone PRL (51097).  It is still designed the same way on 800SMR as previously.    Scan PCS first and don't scan for 800SMR unless PCS is gone.  If PCS is gone, scan and acquire 800SMR then scan for PCS all the time as PCS is higher priority.  Android based phones are scan for 800SMR first and use it unless it is not available

• Like 5

I also just looked at the iPhone PRL (51097).  It is still designed the same way on 800SMR as previously.    Scan PCS first and don't scan for 800SMR unless PCS is gone.  If PCS is gone, scan and acquire 800SMR then scan for PCS all the time as PCS is higher priority.  Android based phones are scan for 800SMR first and use it unless it is not available

So, can we start calling CDMA1X 1900 "the iPhone ghetto"?

:P

AJ

• Like 4

In case you guys missed my other post in the PRL thread...the latest round of PRLs  56015, 25015, 51097(iphone5), etc...basically all 800SMR capable devices have new updates as of 6/5/2013. 

22429,Sprint Nextel,Boise ID; Brigham City UT; Jackson Hole WY; Salt Lake City UT; St. George UT

So are you saying that your PRL file contains all of the 4 SIDs that are missing in the latest 6/5/13 release of Sprint stock PRLs?  I assume your PRL file is more complete than the Sprint stock PRLs?

In case you guys missed my other post in the PRL thread...the latest round of PRLs 56015, 25015, 51097(iphone5), etc...basically all 800SMR capable devices have new updates as of 6/5/2013.

I also just looked at the iPhone PRL (51097). It is still designed the same way on 800SMR as previously. Scan PCS first and don't scan for 800SMR unless PCS is gone. If PCS is gone, scan and acquire 800SMR then scan for PCS all the time as PCS is higher priority. Android based phones are scan for 800SMR first and use it unless it is not available

So are you saying that your PRL file contains all of the 4 SIDs that are missing in the latest 6/5/13 release of Sprint stock PRLs? I assume your PRL file is more complete than the Sprint stock PRLs?

My testing one always has had all the 800SMR SIDS in them. The premier one is based off the corporate evdo roaming one.

It is a purely a testing one as you are dealing with messing with the voice side of your phone and you never know when an emergency will come up. Never know if e911 is right with that side either. Be careful with its use. But of course now that is not the case in most places but we have been seeing that test SID a good bit in Samsung markets.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 1

Does anybody know if Sprint has updated their coverage map to show 800 mhz voice coverage?

It doesn't look like they have, not in my area at least. the coverage on the map appears the same on the map as it has for the past couple of years. 

Can they really update their coverage maps with so many phones not supporting CDMA-800 still out there?

Wouldn't be a smart move.  Better to not report the enhanced coverage and just exceed peoples general expectations in my opinion.

Can they really update their coverage maps with so many phones not supporting CDMA-800 still out there?

Wouldn't be a smart move. Better to not report the enhanced coverage and just exceed peoples general expectations in my opinion.

They could mark it as say, extended network, only accessible by some phones. Same disclaimer they have on LTE. Though they'd need to call it something besides extended, because that would confuse iPhone users :-p

Sent from my HTC ONE

• Like 2