Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

9 hours ago, schmidtj said:

Hulu: Offer includes Hulu (With Ads).

Interesting. This is something I had with my Sprint account for a long time, it's still active on my T-Mobile account. I figured it would be going away eventually. Surprised they renewed it, especially with the talk about Hulu getting merged into Disney+ at some point this year.

2 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Interesting. This is something I had with my Sprint account for a long time, it's still active on my T-Mobile account. I figured it would be going away eventually. Surprised they renewed it, especially with the talk about Hulu getting merged into Disney+ at some point this year.

I also had this with Sprint...and it transitioned with the move to T-mo... I just checked and it's still there for the 7.99/mo ...

I wonder if they'll zero out those who have this for a 12-month period?

On 1/3/2024 at 10:01 AM, schmidtj said:

First SpaceX Satellites Launch for Breakthrough Direct to Cell Service with T-Mobile

and

T-Mobile Adds Hulu to its Streaming Suite, Un-carrier Customers Now Get the Best Entertainment Bundle in Wireless

Fine Print:
Hulu: Offer includes Hulu (With Ads). After 12 months, consumer action is required to continue complimentary subscription. If no action is taken, subscription auto-renews at $7.99/month or then-current regular monthly price. Hulu is available in the U.S. only. Additional terms apply. Yearly Upgrade: Qualifying new financed device & Go5G Next plan req'd. Then upgrade qualifying device in good condition after 6+ months with 50% paid off; upgrade ends current financing & any promo credits. Not combinable with some offers.

I still have Hulu on Sprint Max.... 😎

• Like 1

T-Mobile Delivers Another World’s First with 6-Carrier Aggregation

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/t-mobile-delivers-another-worlds-first-with-6-carrier-aggregation

Working with Ericsson and Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., the Un-carrier reached mind-blowing speeds above 3.6 Gbps in the test

In this test, the Un-carrier merged six 5G channels of mid-band spectrum – two channels of 2.5 GHz Ultra Capacity 5G, two channels of PCS spectrum and two channels of AWS spectrum – creating an effective 245 MHz of aggregated 5G channels. 

Now we just have to wait on devices that can aggregate six sub-6GHz carriers.

• Like 2

I have been using T-Mobile home internet for a year now.  I was forced to drop Hulu and switch to YouTube TV because Hulu live is blocked due to the geographic area reported from the T-Mobile connection.  YouTube doesn't have this limitation for live TV.  Wonder if T-Mobile/Hulu have addressed this issue.

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

T-Mobile Delivers Another World’s First with 6-Carrier Aggregation

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/t-mobile-delivers-another-worlds-first-with-6-carrier-aggregation

Now we just have to wait on devices that can aggregate six sub-6GHz carriers.

X75 (which I figure will show up in the S24, announced later this month) supports 5CA, which should be close enough.

245 MHz means 100+90 MHz TD n41, plus 55x55 FD. 20x20 in each of n66 and n25 gets you to 40, so the remaining channels would've been 10x10 (probably n66) and 5x5 (probably n25). So the 5CA -> 6CA bump is marginal in this case.

A bigger deal would be 4+ CA over n41 + n41 + n77A + n77C, as that would get T-Mobile to 255 MHz TD in a number of areas (20 MHz DoD + 40 MHz C-Band) on 4CA, plus whatever they can pick up on n71/66/25 in that area (likely to hit 15-20 MHz consistently). Comparable speeds without expecting a super aggressive PCS/AWS refarm quite yet.

Speaking of refarms, I've seen two n25 channels in a number of places recently. Atlanta has this IIRC, as do parts of NM, IL/MO. n66 is still MIA in most places, but 25+25+71+41+41 maxes out the S24, and being able to do something useful with 5x5 means small blocks of PCS that T-Mobile sometimes has won't just sit there unused, so I'll take that as a win.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, iansltx said:

Speaking of refarms, I've seen two n25 channels in a number of places recently.

I've run into multiple n25 carriers in quite a few places. Usually it's the 5x5 G-Block becuae it's isolated and then something else random at 15 or 20x20. Leaving 10x10 or so on LTE. Have yet to see any n66 anywhere. Seems like they have at least 20x20 B66 running so probably keeping that as the wide LTE carrier for as long as possible.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

I've run into multiple n25 carriers in quite a few places. Usually it's the 5x5 G-Block becuae it's isolated and then something else random at 15 or 20x20. Leaving 10x10 or so on LTE. Have yet to see any n66 anywhere. Seems like they have at least 20x20 B66 running so probably keeping that as the wide LTE carrier for as long as possible.

I have still only seen one n66 sighting in Port Townsend, Washington last summer.  I should go back to see if it's still live. I wonder if it was just a short time testing thing?

Robert

• Like 2

Las Vegas used to for a long time, and probably(?) still does, have n66 up on quite a few macros. When I was in Vegas recently I just ran from conference room to conference room so didn't have a chance to test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RedSpark said:

The biggest benefit of the merger is in the rural areas. The Duo would previously allow the other to dominate certain sparsely populated areas, which has changed with T-Mobile completion. Wireless home internet is also a huge game changer. T-Mobile was quite gracious to the FCC by not mentioning the delay in getting its additional 2.5GHz licenses from Auction 108, which will really allow them to dramatically exceed many of these metrics (no additional licenses granted since Dec 13 bill signing yet).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dkyeager said:

T-Mobile was quite gracious to the FCC by not mentioning the delay in getting its additional 2.5GHz licenses from Auction 108, which will really allow them to dramatically exceed many of these metrics (no additional licenses granted since Dec 13 bill signing yet).

I imagine the required metrics were set based on the spectrum holdings at the time of the merger, and not what was then a speculative future auction.

- Trip

Seems as though former-Sprint/now T-mobile customers just keep getting the raw end of the merger when it comes to everything from devices, to plans, to the benefits of such..

As a first responder, i never had anything with Sprint as far as a discount..but with T-mobile, after jumping thru several hoops, sending a copy of my EMT national registry card and my state licensure to practice in my state, i finally was able to get a small discount (totals around $40/mo total)...

But so far, that's the only real benefit that i've seen from the merger, as Sprint never offered that sort of thing.  After seeing the website tell me that I could upgrade a watch repeatedly, I finally decided to get one for my wife for Christmas.. and after trying to get the $350 off deal 5 or 6 times, each time, after I would click "proceed to checkout", the amount due today would change from $35 to $349 or so every single time...

I finally went to the store, and point blank asked what did the former Sprint customers get from the merger besides a good screwing by T-mobile...because apparently I can't even lease a watch or phone now, because of the account limits that I've been placed under.  I was a Sprint customer, in good standing, for 14 years before the merger. That equates to NOTHING with T-mobile. I asked about how many lines I was approved for, and the store associate told me 10. Ok great.. so what about device financing / leasing? $2000.00. THAT is the problem. They've limited people who were Sprint customers to like $2k in device purchasing.. so you can't upgrade, or even add a line, unless you're willing to pay the entire $1000+ possibly per phone.  If I needed to add a line with Sprint, in the past, I would just add the line, lease or whatever, and pay the device off after a few months of paying it down. Now, that's not an option anymore... If I want to add a line now, I either pay full price or do without... there's no in between.  That doesn't seem like good customer appreciation for the longest account-holders that came over from Sprint. 

Fired off an email to Mike Sievert this morning about this very thing...because to me, being approved to have 10 lines, but limited to $2000 in device purchasing power seems counter productive and quite frankly, STUPID AF.  Even with Firstnet, if I decided that I want a new phone, I just pick the phone and pay it off over time, usually within 6 months..but usually I'll finance for 4-5 months before paying it off just to lower that big charge upfront.. But Firstnet isn't T-mobile...and vice versa.. Just seems like Tmo doesn't really care if Sprint customers stay or go... Why else would they limit people who have been around the longest?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Trip said:

I imagine the required metrics were set based on the spectrum holdings at the time of the merger, and not what was then a speculative future auction.

- Trip

Agree

I expect the Dish filing will be quite different, utilizing every possible excuse or slight-of-hand if needed. Hopefully they make the next deadlines.

On 1/5/2024 at 11:36 AM, S4GRU said:

I have still only seen one n66 sighting in Port Townsend, Washington last summer.  I should go back to see if it's still live. I wonder if it was just a short time testing thing?

Robert

We have a cluster of n66 sites here in Brooklyn. No idea if they're active all the time or only some of the time but it seems like every couple of months someone ends up mapping it again. The last time it was spotted here was November 2023.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jonathanm1978 said:

Seems as though former-Sprint/now T-mobile customers just keep getting the raw end of the merger when it comes to everything from devices, to plans, to the benefits of such..

As a first responder, i never had anything with Sprint as far as a discount..but with T-mobile, after jumping thru several hoops, sending a copy of my EMT national registry card and my state licensure to practice in my state, i finally was able to get a small discount (totals around $40/mo total)...

But so far, that's the only real benefit that i've seen from the merger, as Sprint never offered that sort of thing.  After seeing the website tell me that I could upgrade a watch repeatedly, I finally decided to get one for my wife for Christmas.. and after trying to get the $350 off deal 5 or 6 times, each time, after I would click "proceed to checkout", the amount due today would change from $35 to $349 or so every single time...

I finally went to the store, and point blank asked what did the former Sprint customers get from the merger besides a good screwing by T-mobile...because apparently I can't even lease a watch or phone now, because of the account limits that I've been placed under.  I was a Sprint customer, in good standing, for 14 years before the merger. That equates to NOTHING with T-mobile. I asked about how many lines I was approved for, and the store associate told me 10. Ok great.. so what about device financing / leasing? $2000.00. THAT is the problem. They've limited people who were Sprint customers to like $2k in device purchasing.. so you can't upgrade, or even add a line, unless you're willing to pay the entire $1000+ possibly per phone.  If I needed to add a line with Sprint, in the past, I would just add the line, lease or whatever, and pay the device off after a few months of paying it down. Now, that's not an option anymore... If I want to add a line now, I either pay full price or do without... there's no in between.  That doesn't seem like good customer appreciation for the longest account-holders that came over from Sprint. 

Fired off an email to Mike Sievert this morning about this very thing...because to me, being approved to have 10 lines, but limited to $2000 in device purchasing power seems counter productive and quite frankly, STUPID AF.  Even with Firstnet, if I decided that I want a new phone, I just pick the phone and pay it off over time, usually within 6 months..but usually I'll finance for 4-5 months before paying it off just to lower that big charge upfront.. But Firstnet isn't T-mobile...and vice versa.. Just seems like Tmo doesn't really care if Sprint customers stay or go... Why else would they limit people who have been around the longest?

I ran into this exact credit limit issue myself and escalated it to the Office of the CEO. I have 800+ Credit and was suddenly being treated as a deadbeat with no/poor credit history, limited to $1,500 total.

See my post from October 19th:

BTW I finally got my answer back from T-Mobile Corporate:

Thank you for your email. We have submitted your feedback to the department that oversees the policy regarding the amount available to finance. Regrettably, the Equipment Credit Limit cannot be increased outside the approved specific scenarios from any department. I regret any confusion I may have caused on how we send up feedback.

So it looks Iike I'm stuck with a $1,500 Credit Limit as a 20+ Year Customer with 7 phone lines/2 watch lines until their 6 months re-review sometime in December. We have three iPhone 14 Pro lines we want to upgrade to 15 Pro via trade-in.

Uncarrier my @$$.

I ultimately upgraded my three iPhone lines directly through Apple and haven't bothered to check on whether my Credit Limit has updated.

Let me know if your letter goes anywhere.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RedSpark said:

I ran into this exact credit limit issue myself and escalated it to the Office of the CEO. I have 800+ Credit and was suddenly being treated as a deadbeat with no/poor credit history, limited to $1,500 total.

See my post from October 19th:

I ultimately upgraded my three iPhone lines directly through Apple and haven't bothered to check on whether my Credit Limit has updated.

Let me know if your letter goes anywhere.

For iPhone users the buy direct from Apple is a good option. Especially if you upgrade every year as Apple will give you a very competitive trade-in for your 1 yr old iPhone. Plus the phones are unlocked from day one so if you ever decide to switch carriers it's very simple.

I have no idea if Samsung etc. have similar offerings.

J

• Like 2

Got a call last night from the office of Sievert... 

After about a 38 minutes convo... nothing really going to change with the credit stuff.  Basically.. i got a consolation prize, since the initial reason that I even found out about this was because I tried to buy a new watch line for my wife to upgrade her wifi only galaxy watch, basically they covered the amount that was being req'd as a "down payment"..which came to around $246. Probably maxxed out that $2k equipment financing credit now with that watch being add to the bottom line for whatever the period is (I think it's like 12mos)..

But I was told there's just all these factors that go into their decisions... and it's not going to change. According to her, they dont do the 6month reevaluation and it's a constant thing now on a per-customer basis...blah blah thanks for umpteen dozen years and is there anything else we can do for you?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, schmidtj said:

For iPhone users the buy direct from Apple is a good option. Especially if you upgrade every year as Apple will give you a very competitive trade-in for your 1 yr old iPhone. Plus the phones are unlocked from day one so if you ever decide to switch carriers it's very simple.

I have no idea if Samsung etc. have similar offerings.

J

Agreed!

Samsung does: "Unlocked by Samsung"

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/unlocked-by-samsung/

They also offer trade-in credit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonathanm1978 said:

Got a call last night from the office of Sievert... 

After about a 38 minutes convo... nothing really going to change with the credit stuff.  Basically.. i got a consolation prize, since the initial reason that I even found out about this was because I tried to buy a new watch line for my wife to upgrade her wifi only galaxy watch, basically they covered the amount that was being req'd as a "down payment"..which came to around $246. Probably maxxed out that $2k equipment financing credit now with that watch being add to the bottom line for whatever the period is (I think it's like 12mos)..

But I was told there's just all these factors that go into their decisions... and it's not going to change. According to her, they dont do the 6month reevaluation and it's a constant thing now on a per-customer basis...blah blah thanks for umpteen dozen years and is there anything else we can do for you?

Yup. That's exactly what happened with me. It felt like I was talking with a computer instead of a person.

I guess it's an improvement that it's a "constant thing" vs every 6 months. Maybe that's from me complaining about it. I haven't bothered to check what the current Credit Limit on my account is, but now that I've offloaded three devices to Apple I've got more headroom than I had.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Agreed!

Samsung does: "Unlocked by Samsung"

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/unlocked-by-samsung/

They also offer trade-in credit.

So, if I wanted to do something like this with Samsung, I assume to start with -- the initial phone -- would need to be paid off thru T-mobile (the one that I currently  have thru Tmo is leased S23 ultra). So I would have to finish the lease, buy out the device from them, unlock it and then trade it in to Samsung.. 

1 hour ago, jonathanm1978 said:

So, if I wanted to do something like this with Samsung, I assume to start with -- the initial phone -- would need to be paid off thru T-mobile (the one that I currently  have thru Tmo is leased S23 ultra). So I would have to finish the lease, buy out the device from them, unlock it and then trade it in to Samsung.. 

I think so....I am looking at trading my note 20 ultra in for the s24 ultra... I still have some owing on my 22.

But I am done with going through the phone companies. The benefits no longer out weight the problems...

• Like 3

The nice thing about getting a Samsung s series factory unlocked phone is you can get a cheap second carrier for places without T-Mobile signal or for the few times a year the network goes down.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, jonathanm1978 said:

You have the option to do a trade-in with Samsung with your paid-off device.

You’re asked “yes/no” for Trade-In and it walks you through it either way.

If someone else is offering a better trade-in value you can go with that instead.

• Like 3