Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

37 minutes ago, schmidtj said:

I don’t see this as a negative to be honest. I’m of the opinion that this paperless billing absolutely should be an opt-out feature. I’m pretty sure all new accounts are already paperless by default. Definitely sucks that people who have opted to receive a paper bill are gonna have to go in and change that setting again but it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

I don’t see this as a negative to be honest. I’m of the opinion that this paperless billing absolutely should be an opt-out feature. I’m pretty sure all new accounts are already paperless by default. Definitely sucks that people who have opted to receive a paper bill are gonna have to go in and change that setting again but it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me. 

Personally I am a anti paperless proponent. Im at the stage in life where if something happens to me my wife would not have the ability to access an online bill and unless it's paired with auto pay the bill won't get paid.

So far most/all of the vendors I have try to get me to go paperless but so far none have switched without overt action on my part. Some web sites are getting sneaky buy disguising the the paperless button to some degree to make one who only looks casually think it's the opposite function.

17 minutes ago, schmidtj said:

Personally I am a anti paperless proponent. Im at the stage in life where if something happens to me my wife would not have the ability to access an online bill and unless it's paired with auto pay the bill won't get paid.

So far most/all of the vendors I have try to get me to go paperless but so fan none have switched without overt action on my part. Some web sites are getting sneaky but disguising the the paperless button to some degree to make one who looks casually think it's the opposite.

I agree with you totally. We might be in about the same situation.  I really fear the day that I am no longer around and my wife has to deal with this. The bill may go unpaid, and if she happens to venture into a TM store, they will twist her brain into  mush.  If she tries to remove me from the plan since I am deceased, it will get nasty. She would only need a minimal plan, but they will try to place her on some super gee whiz high priced plan. They will tell her she needs a $1000 new phone, etc.

Yes, I warned her, but her memory is bad like most elderly people.  I just know it will get bad.  I did give her authorization to manage the account so she will not be hit with a roadblock on that.

I hesitated on giving her full authorization on the account because I can see her receiving a phone call today with somebody on the other end making a suggestion about a plan change or something like that. I am afraid she might say ok to something when some slick operator on the other end twists her mind. I have repeatedly warned her about scams that may come by phone, text or e-mail and to NOT ever respond quickly. Always show me what is happening. 

It is a problem for sure and T-Mobile is one of the bigger problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Will they be able to deploy Ultra Capacity to the remaining Extended Range footprint? What's the plan going forward from here?

We'll probably get another network update in the next earnings report. The next stage of their network is likely C-band/DoD deployment, refarming of PCS/AWS, and deployment of mmWave in high traffic areas.

Verizon has claimed that going forward capex is going back to its "normal" level so T-Mobile is likely to keep their midband coverage lead for a long time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

We'll probably get another network update in the next earnings report. The next stage of their network is likely C-band/DoD deployment, refarming of PCS/AWS, and deployment of mmWave in high traffic areas.

Verizon has claimed that going forward capex is going back to its "normal" level so T-Mobile is likely to keep their midband coverage lead for a long time.

Thanks. Is each of those stages going to require additional gear/climbs on the tower sites or can there be a software push for each?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

Thanks. Is each of those stages going to require additional gear/climbs on the tower sites or can there be a software push for each?

C-Band/DoD will require a climb became it's new equipment. So will mmWave. Refarming more PCS/AWS is software as long as the tower has modern equipment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They want everyone on a 5g plan/phone as soon as possible. It will be a requirement for the starlink connections starting sometime in 2024.

15 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Verizon and AT&T have much higher baseline Capex spending than T-Mobile. For Verizon that likely means a more intelligent site upgrade process as compared to panic mode of a year ago.

1 hour ago, schmidtj said:

Wonder why they are still counting merger synergies?  Though that was done.

4 hours ago, jfstx1 said:

They want everyone on a 5g plan/phone as soon as possible. It will be a requirement for the starlink connections starting sometime in 2024.

Besides the go5g plans, aren't the existing magenta plans already 5g? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Wonder why they are still counting merger synergies?  Though that was done.

Probably a lot of legacy units/process/equipment which has been deprecated and the cost savings are realized over time?

I imagine this number will eventually drop to zero.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, twospirits said:

Besides the go5g plans, aren't the existing magenta plans already 5g? 

According to the folks over on Reddit: 

Even Select Choice users have access to 5G. It's more about device compatibility, less about rate plan 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Probably a lot of legacy units/process/equipment which has been deprecated and the cost savings are realized over time?

I imagine this number will eventually drop to zero.

I would think tower leases that they are still paying for but no longer using.  As those useless leases expire they get to realize additional savings from the merger.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2023 at 3:29 PM, Paynefanbro said:

Given that they've barely mentioned n25 thusfar, not sure it would come up on the earnings calls? That refarm is continuing apace, with 20x20 n25 in a number of areas. I doubt they'll make much noise on refarming n66 as at this point improvements will be marginal.

DoD/C-Band would be newsworthy though. I doubt they'll touch mmW in the next six months, as they still have 2.5 GHz to refarm in most areas, and with sufficient backhaul 100+90 MHz n41 plus 20x20 n25 that'll give you 2+ Gbps with a larger coverage footprint than mmW. C-Band and DoD overlays on top of that will give basically every site plenty of capacity runway. And they also have closure of FWA registrations as another lever for capacity. mmW is such a situational pick here that I think we'll continue to not see it.

On 10/25/2023 at 6:03 AM, jfstx1 said:

Source? Starlink Direct is going to run over B25 (G block) LTE. Literally any *Sprint* LTE phone and most T-Mobile ones would be able to connect.

mmWave deployment deadlines may be another factor.

• Like 1

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/t-mobile-5g-covers-98-us-population-other-countries-lag-moore

On yesterday's Q3 2023 earnings call Ewaldsson said, "We have now 70% of the payload is 5G on the network. As we continue to see more and more 5G traffic, that means we can move over frequencies that are used for LTE into 5G." He added, "We have this enormous spectrum asset in mid-band, which is where the home Internet products are residing that we can continue to leverage. We have more spectrum than anyone else has on mid-band as a potential. By the end of the year, we are approaching 200 megahertz that we will have dedicated for 5G products."

• Like 3

14 hours ago, iansltx said:

Source? Starlink Direct is going to run over B25 (G block) LTE. Literally any *Sprint* LTE phone and most T-Mobile ones would be able to connect.

I just went back and re-listened to the audio of a conversation between a T-Mobile person and a YouTuber. It seems they want people to be on the go. Plans are higher and then you'll get the satellite to phone feature at no extra cost. And then if you don't have those plans, then you'll have to pay extra if you want the feature.

Is anyone else still on Unlimited Freedom plan and just found out that their bill went up?  We went from $93 (2 lines only/nothing else) to $105, but no explicit detail in the account info on the website explaining thy it went up.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, schmidtj said:

LightReading posted a great article summarizing the comments the FCC received from AT&T, Dish, T-Mobile, the CCA, etc. on this topic and provided links to a number of them. Interestingly Verizon had no comments on the FCCs spectrum screening process.

Pretty much no one is supporting AT&T's position, even those that have views that somewhat align with AT&T. They all recognize that AT&T's petition and comments are really self-serving. They basically want to stifle T-Mobile and to a lesser extent Verizon while getting rid of the 3.45GHz spectrum cap so that they can catch up.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PythonFanPA said:

Is anyone else still on Unlimited Freedom plan and just found out that their bill went up?  We went from $93 (2 lines only/nothing else) to $105, but no explicit detail in the account info on the website explaining thy it went up.

Is that plan Tax Inclusive?

Any Add-Ons like Netflix etc.?

Tax Inclusive yes.....I can't figure out where you go in the T-Mo web portal though to review/confirm the other.  *IF* what shows under the 'Benefits' page is truly reflective of my account vs all possibilities (I say this because many show a 'with qualifying plan' disclaimer in grey text at the bottom), then Hulu would apply ($7.99 is strikethrough'ed).