Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

2 hours ago, bookertdub said:

So I’m going from the iPhone 7+ to the iPhone 12 Pro under legacy Sprint. When I get my new phone will it show T-mobile in the upper part of the screen and prefer T-mobile’s networks?

Unless you have TNX you'll see Sprint and roam onto T-Mobile's 4G and 5G.

6 hours ago, bookertdub said:

So I’m going from the iPhone 7+ to the iPhone 12 Pro under legacy Sprint. When I get my new phone will it show T-mobile in the upper part of the screen and prefer T-mobile’s networks?

I got my iPhone 12 Pro yesterday. The alpha tag reads Sprint but the phone uses T-Mobile NR/LTE primarily, falling back to Sprint LTE where T-Mobile is unavailable. The phone only supports NSA right now, and you can only see LTE anchor information in Field Test.

I haven't connected to any legacy 3G networks yet, so I'm not sure what the behavior will be with those. In settings, you are only able to disable 5G - it isn't possible to disable LTE. 

• Like 2

We went to the T-Mobile store(former sprint corporate store) today and went to upgrade my sisters line to a iPhone 12. We got way into the process when the guy said we’d have to change our plan to continue with the upgrade. I ordered the iPhone 12 pro on the sprint app and now I’m worried I’m not going to be able to activate it without changing our plan. We have the Everything Data 1500 plan. If this is true why was I able to order a new phone through the app and I won’t be able to activate it. I’m getting fed up.

1 hour ago, Cardsfan96 said:

If this is true why was I able to order a new phone through the app and I won’t be able to activate it.

I've successfully activated new phones on my current lines without changing plans in the last couple weeks. May just be an issue with the person you were working with in the store.

50 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

I've successfully activated new phones on my current lines without changing plans in the last couple weeks. May just be an issue with the person you were working with in the store.

Do you have a similar plan? Your were able to upgrade in store?

It seems like it may of had to do with TNX. Our plan isn’t currently available to use TNX.

I may go back to a different store because the guy was a jerk honestly.

1 minute ago, Cardsfan96 said:

Do you have a similar plan? Your were able to upgrade in store?

It seems like it may of had to do with TNX. Our plan isn’t currently available to use TNX.

I may go back to a different store because the guy was a jerk honestly.

I have an unlimited plan from a few years ago. I did everything online, I hardly ever go to the store. Though I did have to go get a SIM because the A71 I got off ebay didn't have one with it.

2 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

If you're getting a new phone, it's going to use T-Mobile anyway, no real reason to ask for the special SIM.

Yeah I know but they didn’t ask me and the guy was a jerk so we left. It was obvious he didn’t know what he was doing.

13 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

Yeah I know but they didn’t ask me and the guy was a jerk so we left. It was obvious he didn’t know what he was doing.

If you wish to do the TNX you have to change your plan. I'm in the same boat. I have the ED15 as well and for me to get the TNX I have to change plans. I just haven't made time to do it.

has anyone had recent tower upgrades in their area where they installed the b/n41 panels but did NOT install the b/n71 panels?

They are in my area doing upgrades right now and they have been putting both b/n41 as well as b/n71 up on the tower with each upgrade. However I've found 2 towers now where crews have been there and are gone now where they only put up the b/n41 panel and not the b/n71 panel. trying to guess the reasons they would do that?

3 hours ago, stlman314 said:

If you wish to do the TNX you have to change your plan. I'm in the same boat. I have the ED15 as well and for me to get the TNX I have to change plans. I just haven't made time to do it.

If I choose not to do TNX, which I don’t want currently, will TNX eventually be available for more plans? 

On 10/22/2020 at 2:35 PM, RedSpark said:

In rewatching it, I have a feeling the Uncarrier event could be for T-Mobile's TV service (T-Vision) with no extra taxes/fees and no charge for a "box". There's a TV in the background, and Mike says "It's on."

Would be nice if it was available to Sprint customers if this is the case.

You're the winnner.  But it's just "eh" for me.  Yet another streaming service.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bmoses said:

has anyone had recent tower upgrades in their area where they installed the b/n41 panels but did NOT install the b/n71 panels?

They are in my area doing upgrades right now and they have been putting both b/n41 as well as b/n71 up on the tower with each upgrade. However I've found 2 towers now where crews have been there and are gone now where they only put up the b/n41 panel and not the b/n71 panel. trying to guess the reasons they would do that?

In my area every site that gets n41 also gets n71 and new Band 12 antennas at the same time. However I did find one site recently that got n71 and Band 12 added but not n41.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bmoses said:

There's one that I'm going to go back and check, it looked like it was getting n41, and there were nearby sites that had 2, 12, 66, 71 on them already.  A LOT of the sites getting n41 around here look to be former clearwire sites, which are co-located with Sprint and T-Mobile sites already.  

Another note, I'm on TNX and noticing my phone uses the Sprint network a LOT more than it did last week.  Example, at home it will connect to the Magic Box B41, then it seems to try to stay on the Sprint network as long as it can.  Once Sprint gets down to B26, it will usually switch over to T-Mobile SA n71.  Speeds are pretty decent, so I'm not really complaining right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bmoses said:

I've seen B41/n41 upgrades on a tower that was already upgraded with B71. But on both occasions, T-Mobile didn't touch the older 3 sector B2/B4 panels, which is odd since T-Mobile has already gone through two B2/B4 equipment upgrades on most of the market.

3 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

If I choose not to do TNX, which I don’t want currently, will TNX eventually be available for more plans? 

I doubt they will add it to the ED15 but that's just my guess. 

I'm starting to see the 312-250 PLMN around KY. they seem to have set these to accept handoffs from 310-260 like native coverage, I didnt have to completely lose T-Mobile signal to handoff to it or from it to get back to T-Mobile on the next adjacent site.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mdob07 said:

I'm starting to see the 312-250 PLMN around KY. they seem to have set these to accept handoffs from 310-260 like native coverage, I didnt have to completely lose T-Mobile signal to handoff to it or from it to get back to T-Mobile on the next adjacent site.

Nice. Any site you find 312-250 on is a Sprint "keep" site. 311-490/310-120 won't connect without a loss of signal, and those sites will eventually be decommissioned in favor of an existing T-Mobile site. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jporter12 said:

Another note, I'm on TNX and noticing my phone uses the Sprint network a LOT more than it did last week.  Example, at home it will connect to the Magic Box B41, then it seems to try to stay on the Sprint network as long as it can.

Interesting. I'm on the standard Sprint SIM that came with my S20 FE and I am getting moved over to Sprint whenever I am on WiFi it seems. When I disconnect from WiFi, it stays on Sprint for a while but then switches over to T-Mobile. Haven't really figured out what the reason for this would be yet.

A number of towers lost 5MHz on B25 in eastside Seattle. Strangely, it is not all/most towers even. These towers were 15MHz at 1907.5 and 1987.5 previously and are now 10MHz at 1910 and 1990MHz. I expect T-Mobile intends to expand B2 to 20MHz in the area.

• Like 5

Tethering for the first time in a bit (non-TNX BTW) and I'm pulling a T-Mobile IP address. Can't exactly tell how I'm being routed, but pings (as low as low 30s to 4.2.2.4 in Dallas) are in line with pure T-Mobile routing rather than proxying through Sprint, thoguh T-Mobile's speedtest.net servers aren't visible. The last time I tethered, I got a Sprint CGN IP and was proxied through both backbones, driving up latency significantly. GeoIP says I'm in Oklahoma.

Pulling as much as 60/6 indoors (10 MHz B66, 15x15 each of n71 and B71) in an area that T-Mobile's MVNO map says barely has outdoor coverage. I'll take it, as I'm feeling slightly too lazy to fix the WiFi repeater setup here so I get solid connectivity that way.

• Like 1