Google Pixel 3 / Pixel 3 XL User Thread

lilotimz

3 minutes ago, crazy_vag said:

I guess I haven't run into a case where SMS/MMS doesn't work over WiFi.  Are you saying that if I try to send SMS over WiFi while recipients phone is powered off, my phone will try to switch to 1xRTT and send message over cellular?  

enable airplane mode, then turn on wifi (confirming LTE is still disabled), then send a message (text).

report back...

3 minutes ago, ingenium said:

No, I'm saying that in that case it won't send it as an RCS message, and instead will fall back to SMS/MMS.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think we're talking about slightly two different things.  My point is that as a user, I can get all my text, group texts and photo messages over WiFi on Pixel 3 - something that supposedly is not possible on Pixel 2 for reasons as yet unknown.

23 hours ago, though said:

enable airplane mode, then turn on wifi (confirming LTE is still disabled), then send a message (text).

report back...

Message went through and got so did a response to one number I tested that was on Google Fi.  Google Fi doesn't have the "Use data" option in the SMS app,  BTW.  

Any other test requests?

1 minute ago, crazy_vag said:

Message went through and got so did a response to one number I tested that was on Google Fi.  Google Fi doesn't have the "Use data" option in the SMS app,  BTW.  

Any other test requests?

Did you send to a Verizon or T-Mob customer? Sprint to Sprint is gonna work.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:15 PM, Swordfish said:

Voicemail isn't working. If you use the native Android and leave a voicemail, I noticed there is not a symbol in the status bar. Anyone having this issue ?

Yes. This also happens to me.  It seems that quite a few are having this issue in which there is no notification (native to Pixel Phone Dialer app) that you have voice mail pending.  A work around is to install the sprint visual voicemail app.  At least that way I get voicemail notifications when someone leaves a VM.

• Like 2

So, two issues I've noticed. 

First, wifi calling enabled with Google Voice for voicemail doesn't work. More specifically it looks like the conditional forwarding doesn't work... When people call they either go nowhere or to the voicemail from Sprint. 

Secondly, with wifi calling I seem to be having intermittent sms issues while on a phone call. More often than not it says text failed and refuses to send until I hang up the phone call. 

Anyone else having these issues? I'm thinking I'm going to have to switch to Sprint VVM and keep Wi-Fi calling enabled... Blech. 

Thanks 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Oakley707 said:

First, wifi calling enabled with Google Voice for voicemail doesn't work. More specifically it looks like the conditional forwarding doesn't work... When people call they either go nowhere or to the voicemail from Sprint. 

Anyone else having these issues? I'm thinking I'm going to have to switch to Sprint VVM and keep Wi-Fi calling enabled... Blech.

Yep, same here.. gave up on Google Voice voicemail and switched back to Sprint. It appears you can have Wi-Fi Calling or GV voicemail, but not both. Annoying.

Sprint Visual Voicemail app is on Google Play for most devices.. works ok on my Pixel 3 with some minor nuisances. Notifications work but don't include contact name if you have it saved.. no transcription unless you subscribe for a monthly fee, and if you don't, the banner begging you to subscribe remains displayed in the app.. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sprint.vvm

-Mike

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 10:00 PM, Oakley707 said:

ive been dealing with this for the last month or so and it has driven me mad.  This all stopped working around Nov 1st.  I had google handling my voicemail for years.  Ive had it set up on the Essential phone for the last year and Nov 1st it stopped working.  I noticed the same about the wifi calling thing.  I really do not understand why it broke all of a sudden.  I *think* call forwarding is working because a google error comes up about unable to complete your call.

If I had to guess, some one deep in the bowels of sprint made a config change on something and has no idea what he broke.

I begrudgingly went back to the sprint voicemail service but that also has problems that I have been unable to figure out.  It seems like if i am roaming the caller does not get sent to voicemail, they get sent to dead air or a call cannot be completed message however i get notification of a voicemail and all i get is the dead air.

Naturally, the sprint visual voicemail app is not available for the essential phone in the play store.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swintec said:

ive been dealing with this for the last month or so and it has driven me mad.  This all stopped working around Nov 1st.  I had google handling my voicemail for years.  Ive had it set up on the Essential phone for the last year and Nov 1st it stopped working.  I noticed the same about the wifi calling thing.  I really do not understand why it broke all of a sudden.  I *think* call forwarding is working because a google error comes up about unable to complete your call.

If I had to guess, some one deep in the bowels of sprint made a config change on something and has no idea what he broke.

I begrudgingly went back to the sprint voicemail service but that also has problems that I have been unable to figure out.  It seems like if i am roaming the caller does not get sent to voicemail, they get sent to dead air or a call cannot be completed message however i get notification of a voicemail and all i get is the dead air.

Naturally, the sprint visual voicemail app is not available for the essential phone in the play store.

Blah, very annoying indeed. I'm glad to hear that more people are having the same issue. I've noticed with wifi calling enabled at least I get phone calls while roaming. Thankfully, most of the places that have terrible service for me have great Wi-Fi service, just by chance. I wonder if roaming calls in are just plain broken then on Pixel 3 XL. Oddly enough, they call out just fine. No issue at all. They even sound great when connected... 

Another issue that I've noticed, is that when I'm on Wifi calling I am unable to send text messages... This doesn't make any sense to me.  Per SCP, it looks like I'm connected to 1x and wifi, but when I try to send a text message it simply states "Not sent. Tap to try again."  When I tap this, it simply 'refreshes' and says the same thing.  Anyone else have the same issue?  I wonder if this is somehow MB related?  I do have a MagicBox at home.  With it being connected to 1x though, I wouldn't think I would be attached to the MB.

EDIT: The confusion continues... I think Wifi Calling is like oddly NOT being enabled or something?  I just turned on airplane mode, made a phone call.  Very clearly noticed wifi-calling everywhere and then sent a text message.  Went right thru...  Something is weird.

On 12/11/2018 at 5:04 AM, Oakley707 said:

Another issue that I've noticed, is that when I'm on Wifi calling I am unable to send text messages... This doesn't make any sense to me.  Per SCP, it looks like I'm connected to 1x and wifi, but when I try to send a text message it simply states "Not sent. Tap to try again."  When I tap this, it simply 'refreshes' and says the same thing.  Anyone else have the same issue?  I wonder if this is somehow MB related?  I do have a MagicBox at home.  With it being connected to 1x though, I wouldn't think I would be attached to the MB.

EDIT: The confusion continues... I think Wifi Calling is like oddly NOT being enabled or something?  I just turned on airplane mode, made a phone call.  Very clearly noticed wifi-calling everywhere and then sent a text message.  Went right thru...  Something is weird.

I have no issues with texting over wifi, the only way texting will not work over wifi is if you are getting group messages or include any multimedia items such as videos, pics or audios. Group messaging is considered MMS so it will only send/receive once service is restored. Any input is welcome. 

Loving this feature since my building is really old and service does not penetrate inside the building, its not just Sprint but the same applies to all carriers. Recently installed my old Magic Box 2 at my office and at least one side of the building has LTE and great speeds. No more 3G or no service inside the building.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, maxx880 said:

Has Sprint activated eSIM activations? I am no longer able to activate my wife's Pixel 3 XL or mine with any SIM.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You not able to active on the web?

sprint.com/activate

What sim are you using?

My Pixel 3XL Activated fine a few weeks ago. Although the 1x radio in the phone isn't very strong. I've seen the LTE performance be ok... Wish the 1x performed better. I will probably switch to the S10 when it comes out if a software update doesn't fix the 1x reception issue.  

2 hours ago, rocketr said:

My Pixel 3XL Activated fine a few weeks ago. Although the 1x radio in the phone isn't very strong. I've seen the LTE performance be ok... Wish the 1x performed better. I will probably switch to the S10 when it comes out if a software update doesn't fix the 1x reception issue.  

VoLTE should hit the Pixel 3 soon. So that's something.

• Like 3

On 12/24/2018 at 2:26 PM, rocketr said:

I have the non-XL Pixel 3 and haven't noticed 1X issues.. in my experience, all reception is significantly improved over the original Pixel. Is there something specific going on with the XL?

-Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikejeep said:

I have the non-XL Pixel 3 and haven't noticed 1X issues.. in my experience, all reception is significantly improved over the original Pixel. Is there something specific going on with the XL?

-Mike

Just getting no 1x service when my S9+ did have service in the same location. I've also noticed the 1x db levels are a lot worse on my 3 XL. I haven't tested on the 3 or OG Pixel... just Galaxy S8/S9's 

The LTE radio seems to perform really good in the Pixel though IMO

You not able to active on the web?
sprint.com/activate
What sim are you using?
We had to order the 516TQ Sim in order to activate (no one in Vegas had them in stock). Corporate Store/Customer Care/Online Portal would not allow us to use the Sims we used previously 416tq, nor would it allow us to use a new 416tq.

What's different with these SIMs?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Trip unpinned this topic