Google Pixel 3 / Pixel 3 XL User Thread

lilotimz

17 hours ago, ingenium said:

There is an adb command that you can run, without root I think, that sets what radios are affected by airplane mode. I set mine to not disable Bluetooth. Get an adb shell and run:

settings put global airplane_mode_radios cell,wifi,wimax

You can leave out wifi if you don't want it affected by airplane mode. The default list is cell,bluetooth,wifi,nfc,wimax

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Good tip.  I'll try it out.

BTW, yesterday after getting off Caltrain, my phone was back in 3G.  Since streaming seemed to work, I left it as is.  About 10 mins later, I noticed my phone roaming on TMobile LTE (B2 or B4, don't recall).  Then a little bit later, my phone went back to 3G.

I don't know if there's some upgrade happening in SF or if it's on the phone side.

this should work on the essential phone to then, i would imagine (or maybe really any rooted phone?).

Very likely. I'm guessing that any phone that uses the new wifi calling infrastructure will be able to use it. The config is already there, it just needs forced on. 

Edit: what's interesting is that it allows VoLTE to be used on Airaves and Magic Boxes, which disables it on "supported" devices. I'm guessing that it also works outside of VoLTE enabled markets too. Albeit it probably doesn't have QOS in those cases, so quality may be an issue.

• Like 1

In order to accomplish this, you need to be rooted and have Magisk Manager installed. In Magisk Manager, go to Downloads and search for VoEnabler. Install VoEnabler and reboot the phone. VoLTE should start working.

7118710021855960496.png

• Like 5

this should work on the essential phone to then, i would imagine (or maybe really any rooted phone?).
Do you have an Essential that's rooted? If so, I'd be really curious to see the results and what NSG shows. On the Pixel we've confirmed that it's true VoLTE. Note the EUTRA session with QCI 1. That's the VoLTE call. The session with QCI 5 is the IMS session, and QCI 9 is the normal data session.a6d9f8350327581d4604d133a7d96612.jpg

• Like 1

Longtime listener, first time caller (poster) situation here.

Been paying attention to this thread for VOLTE information regarding the Pixel 3. I'm in Indianapolis, IN and I believe we are one of the roll out markets for Sprint VOLTE. I haven't gotten yet but I see some above have in other areas. Just wondering if anyone has any additional insight? Rooting isn't my thing so doing some of the above steps aren't for me.

Side note and somewhat unrelated but since I have a captive audience here. Sprint's visual voicemail app sucks with the Pixel 3. Literally can't get it to work. What do ya'll use? I'm sure Google Voice is the preferred method but I thought I'd check.

Longtime listener, first time caller (poster) situation here.
Been paying attention to this thread for VOLTE information regarding the Pixel 3. I'm in Indianapolis, IN and I believe we are one of the roll out markets for Sprint VOLTE. I haven't gotten yet but I see some above have in other areas. Just wondering if anyone has any additional insight? Rooting isn't my thing so doing some of the above steps aren't for me.
Side note and somewhat unrelated but since I have a captive audience here. Sprint's visual voicemail app sucks with the Pixel 3. Literally can't get it to work. What do ya'll use? I'm sure Google Voice is the preferred method but I thought I'd check.

If you don't want to root, you can't get VoLTE for now. The phone supports it, but we're just waiting on Sprint/Google to flip the switch. No idea when that might be. Could be next month, could be 6+ months from now.

I used to use Google Voice, but wifi calling on the Pixel 3 breaks conditional call forwarding. This forced me back to Sprint voicemail. So far I haven't had any issues with the Sprint Visual Voicemail app, but then again I rarely get voicemails.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ingenium said:

If you don't want to root, you can't get VoLTE for now. The phone supports it, but we're just waiting on Sprint/Google to flip the switch. No idea when that might be. Could be next month, could be 6+ months from now.

I used to use Google Voice, but wifi calling on the Pixel 3 breaks conditional call forwarding. This forced me back to Sprint voicemail. So far I haven't had any issues with the Sprint Visual Voicemail app, but then again I rarely get voicemails.

Thank you for the reply! This is very helpful information. I really appreciate it. Lets hope for the closer to next month as opposed to 6+ months on the switch flip. 

Edited by acebel
Messed up formatting.

Speaking of which.  I used to be able to use data for SMS, but that ability has been removed recently.  Anyone else observe that?
Data has not been used for SMS since the Pixel 1, which uses IMS. The 2 and 3 both have constant SRLTE and use 1x for SMS instead.

If wifi calling is enabled and set to preferred on the 3, it will use that for SMS over 1x (though MMS still needs LTE or CDMA). Likewise, if you force VoLTE on the 3, I THINK it uses IMS for SMS instead of 1x (it should), but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

VOLTE is working on Pixel 3 XL in So-Cal right now. phone is not rootedab4db89004d6ca40c500872c735b581f.jpg

Does the enhanced 4G option show up for you in settings?3ad620361a9052de76b0deea09c23f48.jpg

• Like 1

Does the enhanced 4G option show up for you in settings?3ad620361a9052de76b0deea09c23f48.jpg

It doesn't show up. I tried it multiple times though and it worked. Ran a few speed tests, watched a YouTube video.

10 hours ago, maxx880 said:

VOLTE is working on Pixel 3 XL in So-Cal right now. phone is not rooted

Where in Socal were you located at the time of the call? I see you were on 800 1X

It doesn't show up. I tried it multiple times though and it worked. Ran a few speed tests, watched a YouTube video.

Open SCP and in the overflow menu go to Radio Info. Does it show VoLTE provisioned? Can you post a screenshot?fa10b13d4954f8e4a07e839e97a7202b.jpg

Open SCP and in the overflow menu go to Radio Info. Does it show VoLTE provisioned? Can you post a screenshot?fa10b13d4954f8e4a07e839e97a7202b.jpg

Those are not able to be toggled but it is working. Just tested again.40e52d522e655b6252732cdc84d20c35.jpg

Those are not able to be toggled but it is working. Just tested again.40e52d522e655b6252732cdc84d20c35.jpg

Interesting. I'm not sure how else to verify what it's using other than with root. It is odd that they're actually disabled there. I wonder if there was just some kind of fluke and it accidentally got toggled, and if it would persist after a reboot.

You didn't do anything special trying to enable it? It just happened out of the blue?

1 minute ago, ingenium said:

Interesting. I'm not sure how else to verify what it's using other than with root. It is odd that they're actually disabled there. I wonder if there was just some kind of fluke and it accidentally got toggled, and if it would persist after a reboot.

You didn't do anything special trying to enable it? It just happened out of the blue?

Fwiw, the essential has the volte toggle enabled but i cant remember if it always has.  maybe it always was since it had the ability to roam off wifi calling onto LTE (and back again)?

• 3 weeks later...
So I read on Reddit that Pixel 3 directly from Google could be activated on Sprint with eSim? Has anyone done this? Is the feature available right now?
Can you link to the thread? To my knowledge the only way to do it is indirectly via Fi. I don't believe Sprint will directly allow the use of the eSIM.

• Trip unpinned this topic