Google Pixel 3 / Pixel 3 XL User Thread

lilotimz

I just successfully switched my Pixel 3 XL to use the eSIM on Sprint. Works out of the box now. Since I already had this phone on the line, I had to swap to another phone and then swap back with the eSIM. Everything works.

Super convenient. No more having to order the correct SIM from Sprint, and I can now swap between Sprint and another carrier easily (traveling internationally, or even using another domestic carrier).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 6

On 4/20/2019 at 11:28 AM, ingenium said:

I just successfully switched my Pixel 3 XL to use the eSIM on Sprint. Works out of the box now. Since I already had this phone on the line, I had to swap to another phone and then swap back with the eSIM. Everything works.

Super convenient. No more having to order the correct SIM from Sprint, and I can now swap between Sprint and another carrier easily (traveling internationally, or even using another domestic carrier).

Well, presumably I'll activate my Pixel 4 on eSIM, so won't need to worry about ordering a new SIM each year like I have been for the last 4 years.

When traveling internationally, the convenience and price of Sprint's roaming plan is really hard to beat, so I don't see myself changing plans when traveling.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 7:28 PM, ingenium said:

Can you link to the thread? To my knowledge the only way to do it is indirectly via Fi. I don't believe Sprint will directly allow the use of the eSIM.

@lilotimz  mentioned that in Reddit. I don't know exactly.

4 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Yeah, I ended up figuring it out. I'm the one who showed lilotimz emoji6.png

Since you have Pixel 3, how is the eSIM activation process? Is it complicated?

5 minutes ago, dnwk said:

Since you have Pixel 3, how is the eSIM activation process? Is it complicated?

Nope. It's really easy, especially if you don't already have the Pixel 3 on your line. You just go to Settings and search for Carriers (or go to Settings, Network & internet, Mobile network, Advanced, Carrier). Tap Add Carrier, and then select Sprint and login to your account. They'll text you a one time authentication code to login, so don't turn off your old phone first. And that's pretty much it.

If the Pixel 3 is already on your line, you'll have to swap it off first to an unused phone. There's no way to switch directly from a physical SIM to an eSIM without having an intermediate device.

• Like 1

Just now, ingenium said:

Nope. It's really easy, especially if you don't already have the Pixel 3 on your line. You just go to Settings and search for Carriers (or go to Settings, Network & internet, Mobile network, Advanced, Carrier). Tap Add Carrier, and then select Sprint and login to your account. They'll text you a one time authentication code to login, so don't turn off your old phone first. And that's pretty much it.

If the Pixel 3 is already on your line, you'll have to swap it off first to an unused phone. There's no way to switch directly from a physical SIM to an eSIM without having an intermediate device.

Good information. Thanks. I am hoping Android Q will bring eSIM / Physical SIM dual standby.

So I know this isn't necessarily the place for this question but I'll ask anyway since Sprint support has been no help at all. I can't get Sprint Visual Voicemail (VMM) to work on my unrooted, stock Pixel 3 (not 3a) that I bought in November. It worked until about mid-December then stopped. I can download the app however when someone leaves me a voicemail it just doesn't show up...even after yesterday's update. No notifications, not in the app, no nothing. I know I have a voicemail because I can still dial into voicemail from the phone and hear it.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app 100 times and even factory reset the phone once. No change. I do get these notification when I open VMM. Anyone have any advice? I'm hoping there will be more answers out there since Sprint is carrying the Pixel 3 now. I just want visual voicemail like it is 2015.

PS I know Google Voice is an option...I just don't really want to do it.

Screenshot_20190507-073757.png

Screenshot_20190507-073930.png

So I know this isn't necessarily the place for this question but I'll ask anyway since Sprint support has been no help at all. I can't get Sprint Visual Voicemail (VMM) to work on my unrooted, stock Pixel 3 (not 3a) that I bought in November. It worked until about mid-December then stopped. I can download the app however when someone leaves me a voicemail it just doesn't show up...even after yesterday's update. No notifications, not in the app, no nothing. I know I have a voicemail because I can still dial into voicemail from the phone and hear it.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app 100 times and even factory reset the phone once. No change. I do get these notification when I open VMM. Anyone have any advice? I'm hoping there will be more answers out there since Sprint is carrying the Pixel 3 now. I just want visual voicemail like it is 2015.

PS I know Google Voice is an option...I just don't really want to do it.
Screenshot_20190507-073757.thumb.png.ed6101daafa0404414cda80e96cd6c07.png
Screenshot_20190507-073930.thumb.png.d42a898b8a5c0fe0fb9c158db36a0a2b.png
That's really weird. I haven't had any issues like that with the Sprint VMM app, other than it taking about 6+ hours to notify me of a voicemail. And when I mark them as read about half the time it won't clear the persistent notification and I have to force stop the app.

Have you called Sprint about it? Now that they sell the Pixel you should be able to get support?

1 minute ago, ingenium said:

That's really weird. I haven't had any issues like that with the Sprint VMM app, other than it taking about 6+ hours to notify me of a voicemail. And when I mark them as read about half the time it won't clear the persistent notification and I have to force stop the app.

Have you called Sprint about it? Now that they sell the Pixel you should be able to get support?

Thanks for the response, ingenium. I've contacted them via visualvoicemail@sprint.com and at least got a response there...they said to wait for the update that happened yesterday. It didn't help. General Sprint support has been less than helpful. Maybe I'm just not being patient enough for the voicemail to show up...I'll try waiting 6 hours! I just wish they'd let us use the default voicemail in the phone app. I'm tired of calling my voicemail after missed calls like a caveman. I have a feeling the root of the issue is the app is unable to verify my account. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sometime in the last month or so, I noticed that while I do get the Wi-Fi Calling icon showing in SignalCheck Pro, all my calls still go over the mobile 1x network instead of over Wi-Fi.  This is on my Pixel 3 XL with latest updates.  Anyone else notice that?

Sometime in the last month or so, I noticed that while I do get the Wi-Fi Calling icon showing in SignalCheck Pro, all my calls still go over the mobile 1x network instead of over Wi-Fi.  This is on my Pixel 3 XL with latest updates.  Anyone else notice that?
It depends on your signal leve,l if you have it set to mobile preferred. Change it to wifi preferred and it will always use wifi calling when available.

Even with WiFi preferred, even when signal check pro showing WiFi calling, even when LTE/1x signal at -115db and WiFi of 70db, my Pixel 3 XL won't pick WI-FI for calls.

It used to work about 4 months ago, but no more.

It stopped working around the time when the phone started holding onto 3G instead of going to LTE.

Are there any other ways to troubleshoot Wi-Fi calling other than contact Sprint Support where they'll likely just blame Google?  Seems like I'm not able to remove Wi-Fi calling from my account either with contact support.

17 minutes ago, crazy_vag said:

Are there any other ways to troubleshoot Wi-Fi calling other than contact Sprint Support where they'll likely just blame Google?  Seems like I'm not able to remove Wi-Fi calling from my account either with contact support.

Have you tried using it on Airplane mode? Service is pretty bad in my work building due to cement walls and sometimes when calling it will use regular 1X and sometimes Wifi Calling. I have it set to Mobile Preferred but notice improvement in audio call when on Wifi calling. Also, when other devices are both  on wifi calling the HD logo appears on the call and audio quality is great.

1 hour ago, nexuss4g said:

Have you tried using it on Airplane mode? Service is pretty bad in my work building due to cement walls and sometimes when calling it will use regular 1X and sometimes Wifi Calling. I have it set to Mobile Preferred but notice improvement in audio call when on Wifi calling. Also, when other devices are both  on wifi calling the HD logo appears on the call and audio quality is great.

I'm not able to make calls when connected to WiFi only (Airplane mode on).   Whether I have Mobile Preferred or Wi-Fi Preferred doesn't matter.  

Can you actually make a calls while on Airplane Mode On with your Pixel 3?? 

Even with WiFi preferred, even when signal check pro showing WiFi calling, even when LTE/1x signal at -115db and WiFi of 70db, my Pixel 3 XL won't pick WI-FI for calls.

It used to work about 4 months ago, but no more.
It stopped working around the time when the phone started holding onto 3G instead of going to LTE.
With wifi preferred it should always use wifi calling. At least mine does. The only time when it didn't seem to use it was when I connected to WiFi that was using an LTE modem connected to a magic box. For some reason it didn't really like that combo.

If it's not working, then my guess is that something is blocking or interfering with the ipsec tunnel on your wifi. Or the wifi signal is too low or there are other problems with it. It's possible it won't use it if it determines that the connection isn't stable/good enough.

27 minutes ago, crazy_vag said:

I'm not able to make calls when connected to WiFi only (Airplane mode on).   Whether I have Mobile Preferred or Wi-Fi Preferred doesn't matter.  

Can you actually make a calls while on Airplane Mode On with your Pixel 3?? 

Yes, I am able to make calls while on airplane mode on my Pixel 3 XL

After playing around some more, I'm convinced that Wi-Fi Calling isn't provisioned correctly on my phone.  It doesn't work in Airplane Mode, it doesn't work on any WiFi network regardless of the strength.  SCP does show WiFi calling enabled, but even then calls go over 1x.  

What's more annoying is that I can't disable Wi-Fi calling service on my account without customer support for whatever reason.

After playing around some more, I'm convinced that Wi-Fi Calling isn't provisioned correctly on my phone.  It doesn't work in Airplane Mode, it doesn't work on any WiFi network regardless of the strength.  SCP does show WiFi calling enabled, but even then calls go over 1x.  
What's more annoying is that I can't disable Wi-Fi calling service on my account without customer support for whatever reason.
Wi-Fi Calling generally works well on my Pixel 3. It didn't work with airplane mode enabled for at least the first 4 months, but I just tested it a moment ago and it did work. An Android and/or carrier update at some point must have fixed that -- I hadn't tried it in awhile so I can't say when that happened.

-Mike

• 5 weeks later...

I just got a Pixel 3 XL and couldn't activate RCS messaging, it would just stay stuck on setting up and verifying number. I activated it using eSim.

I found that there were people on Rogers having same issue. The fix is to goto Settings > Apps & Notifications >See All > Carrier Services. When you click disable it'll give you an option to restore to factory. RCS worked immediately.

Just in case anyone else runs into it.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 12:12 PM, ericwalton said:

I just got a Pixel 3 XL and couldn't activate RCS messaging, it would just stay stuck on setting up and verifying number. I activated it using eSim.

I found that there were people on Rogers having same issue. The fix is to goto Settings > Apps & Notifications >See All > Carrier Services. When you click disable it'll give you an option to restore to factory. RCS worked immediately.

Just in case anyone else runs into it.

After you "disable" it, what's next?  Do you re-enable it or leave it disabled?  

• Trip unpinned this topic