Google Pixel 3 / Pixel 3 XL User Thread

lilotimz

• S4GRU changed the title to Google Pixel 3 / Pixel 3 XL User Thread
  • S4GRU pinned this topic

I am looking for more observations on this.

I believe the restriction on the Google-approved wireless chargers for charging rapidly was instituted in a software update.

Out of the box, my 3 XL was "charging rapidly" from my old generic wireless charger. I installed the update and now it's "charging slowly". Can anyone else confirm?

Can I roll back my update?

9 hours ago, mhammett said:

I am looking for more observations on this.

I believe the restriction on the Google-approved wireless chargers for charging rapidly was instituted in a software update.

Out of the box, my 3 XL was "charging rapidly" from my old generic wireless charger. I installed the update and now it's "charging slowly". Can anyone else confirm?

Can I roll back my update?

Pretty sure the issue was that it was characterizing incompatible fast wireless charging as charging fast before the update. This is because Google uses a proprietary fast charging method instead of what Samsung and others use. With the update it's showing the correct charging.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sanyo M1 said:

Pretty sure the issue was that it was characterizing incompatible fast wireless charging as charging fast before the update. This is because Google uses a proprietary fast charging method instead of what Samsung and others use. With the update it's showing the correct charging.

Was the problem in the messaging (calling it charging rapidly when it was really charging slowly) or was the problem in that Google forgot to enable the DRM in the release version?

The only real way to know is a screenshot of a battery management app before the update showing what the charge rate actually is when "charging rapidly".

Anyone else seeing issues with their Pixel 3 XL intermittently connecting to WiFi calling? Any insight on if the VOLTE feature will come to the phone?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Mine is set to mobile preferred, but connects to wifi calling fairly consistently where I do not have a solid mobile signal. It's one of my favorite features, works great. If you set to wifi preferred, it will almost always use wifi when available.

-Mike
  • Like 2

Mine is set to mobile preferred, but connects to wifi calling fairly consistently where I do not have a solid mobile signal. It's one of my favorite features, works great. If you set to wifi preferred, it will almost always use wifi when available.

-Mike
Does it drop the call when you move outside of wifi coverage? Or does it continue the call over LTE?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 6:04 AM, jreuschl said:

Does SMS and MMS work over Wi-Fi?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

YES!!! It used to be that only SMS would work, so you'd miss Group SMS and MMS until went back on cellular.  

I can confirm that both work AND both show up on the web https://messages.android.com/.

On 11/17/2018 at 4:33 PM, ingenium said:

Does it drop the call when you move outside of wifi coverage? Or does it continue the call over LTE?

I don't know since I don't have either when going into the elevator, and don't trust public Wi-Fi to test elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, crazy_vag said:

YES!!! It used to be that only SMS would work, so you'd miss Group SMS and MMS until went back on cellular.  

I can confirm that both work AND both show up on the web https://messages.android.com/.

It DOES NOT work on wifi only, on the Pixel 2 XL, so this is interesting...

4 hours ago, though said:

It DOES NOT work on wifi only, on the Pixel 2 XL, so this is interesting...

I'm not able to send or receive text messages on wifi on my Pixel 2 XL even if i toggle airplane mode.

10 hours ago, crazy_vag said:

So does texting over wifi work on the Pixel 3?

15 hours ago, crazy_vag said:

Did you confirm that RCS is enabled?

Yes RCS works on Wifi only. And is only available at the moment for Sprint to Sprint users via the stock Google "Messages" app. RCS is 'rich communication system' and uses data/internet/wifi.

Totally different than SMS/MMS.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, though said:

Yes RCS works on Wifi only. And is only available at the moment for Sprint to Sprint users via the stock Google "Messages" app. RCS is 'rich communication system' and uses data/internet/wifi.

Totally different than SMS/MMS.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think RCS sends all messages via RCS pipe to Sprint where they continue either as SMS or RCS depending on the recipient. 

If you read the description of the setting carefully, it says it'll "use data when available"  - and not "use data when recipient has compatible service".

Anyway, I'm happy with this config since now I get all my texts (SMS+MMS) over WiFi and also on my computer.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think RCS sends all messages via RCS pipe to Sprint where they continue either as SMS or RCS depending on the recipient. 
If you read the description of the setting carefully, it says it'll "use data when available"  - and not "use data when recipient has compatible service".
Anyway, I'm happy with this config since now I get all my texts (SMS+MMS) over WiFi and also on my computer.
It means that if data isn't available on your phone, it will send as SMS/MMS instead. Or if the recipient doesn't have data for some reason (such as on a phone call) and the message doesn't get delivered within a certain period of time, then the phone resends it as SMS/MMS. Sprint doesn't resend it as SMS from their end.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 6:04 PM, ingenium said:

It means that if data isn't available on your phone, it will send as SMS/MMS instead. Or if the recipient doesn't have data for some reason (such as on a phone call) and the message doesn't get delivered within a certain period of time, then the phone resends it as SMS/MMS. Sprint doesn't resend it as SMS from their end.

I guess I haven't run into a case where SMS/MMS doesn't work over WiFi.  Are you saying that if I try to send SMS over WiFi while recipients phone is powered off, my phone will try to switch to 1xRTT and send message over cellular?  

I guess I haven't run into a case where SMS/MMS doesn't work over WiFi.  Are you saying that if I try to send SMS over WiFi while recipients phone is powered off, my phone will try to switch to 1xRTT and send message over cellular?  
No, I'm saying that in that case it won't send it as an RCS message, and instead will fall back to SMS/MMS.

• Like 1

• Trip unpinned this topic