Google Pixel 3 / Pixel 3 XL User Thread

lilotimz

• 1 month later...

In random news, this morning, my Pixel 3 XL froze.  When it rebooted, it said "No SIM".  Rebooted and reinserted SIM, but no go.  Tried a co-worker's SIM and it was recognized immediately, so chatted with Sprint about activating eSIM since was getting errors in the Pixel UI.  Chat referred me to call, and operator tried a few times, but got errors on their end, so told me to go to a store.

No line, but learned Sprint only does eSIM on Pixel phones purchased from Sprint.  They won't activate eSIM Pixel phones purchased from Google, so 5 mins later I was out the door with a replacement physical SIM.

Hasn't anyone successfully activated their Pixel 3 on eSIM with a phone purchased from Google?

I had heard that to activate esim on a device that is currently activated with a physical sim that it was necessary to first activate some other device and then it was possible to reactivate on esim.

For whatever that's worth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

In random news, this morning, my Pixel 3 XL froze.  When it rebooted, it said "No SIM".  Rebooted and reinserted SIM, but no go.  Tried a co-worker's SIM and it was recognized immediately, so chatted with Sprint about activating eSIM since was getting errors in the Pixel UI.  Chat referred me to call, and operator tried a few times, but got errors on their end, so told me to go to a store.
No line, but learned Sprint only does eSIM on Pixel phones purchased from Sprint.  They won't activate eSIM Pixel phones purchased from Google, so 5 mins later I was out the door with a replacement physical SIM.

Hasn't anyone successfully activated their Pixel 3 on eSIM with a phone purchased from Google?
The eSIM works on phones purchased from Google. I'm using it on mine. The issue is that you can't migrate directly from physical SIM to eSIM on the same phone. You have to first swap to a different/old device, remove the physical SIM from your 3, and then setup the eSIM on it (select add, then select Sprint). The phone will have you sign into your Sprint account and select which line you want to use, and that's basically it.

The issue I believe is because the IMEI is already in use and tied to the physical SIM, so it won't let you swap the IMEI to eSIM while in use. By swapping to a different device first, it frees up the IMEI to be linked to your eSIM.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ingenium said:

The eSIM works on phones purchased from Google. I'm using it on mine. The issue is that you can't migrate directly from physical SIM to eSIM on the same phone. You have to first swap to a different/old device, remove the physical SIM from your 3, and then setup the eSIM on it (select add, then select Sprint). The phone will have you sign into your Sprint account and select which line you want to use, and that's basically it.

The issue I believe is because the IMEI is already in use and tied to the physical SIM, so it won't let you swap the IMEI to eSIM while in use. By swapping to a different device first, it frees up the IMEI to be linked to your eSIM.

Makes sense.

All that code to check IMEI to prevent you from upgrading to same phone is now coming to bite us.

Sounds like best to make the eSIM jump when getting the Pixel 4.

Hopefully eSIM supported from day 1.

Makes sense.
All that code to check IMEI to prevent you from upgrading to same phone is now coming to bite us.
Sounds like best to make the eSIM jump when getting the Pixel 4.
Hopefully eSIM supported from day 1.
It should be supported day 1. If you have an old phone you can swap to, it's a 5 minute process to switch to eSIM. Definitely worth it if you ever use a SIM from another carrier.

Went down the VoEnabler rabbit hole and found that the module is no longer available in the Magisk Official Repo and therefore not available in the Magisk app.

So, found the original git, downloaded and repacked it and manually installed it and it seems to be working on Android 9 with eSIM.

Here's a link to the repacked module. Copy do device. and manually install from the Magisk App, reboot. Not responsible for any damaged, errors, etc. by using this on your device.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Aai3avK96zqmwBoNTYGs5OhLnyMxKGn1/view?usp=sharing

On 9/16/2019 at 5:57 AM, mhammett said:

Does anyone have a Pixel 3 XL case recommendation that's more rugged than the Spigen Rugged Armor? Let's just say it's not rugged enough.

This is the one I have but is not rugged as the Spingen Rugged but it has sustained small drops with no damage at all. I have tempered glass as well.

https://www.caseologycases.com/collections/google-pixel-3-xl

Just noticed that VoLTE was enabled on my Pixel 3 XL.  Haven't used it yet, but my phone no longer needs to connect to  1x + LTE... It's now just LTE or Wi-Fi.  Life's Good! [emoji4]
Yup! It came with the Android 10 update. Glad to have it officially supported instead of requiring a hack.

The question is, does it continue to ignore the VoLTE flag on the eNB (ie, will it work on a Magic Box or Airave), unlike other VoLTE enabled devices? I've been out of the country since it came out, so haven't been able to test.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 5:53 AM, ingenium said:

Yup! It came with the Android 10 update. Glad to have it officially supported instead of requiring a hack.

The question is, does it continue to ignore the VoLTE flag on the eNB (ie, will it work on a Magic Box or Airave), unlike other VoLTE enabled devices? I've been out of the country since it came out, so haven't been able to test.

No VoLTE on Magic Box Gold.... 

Still havent been able to update to Android 10 on my P3XL as it fails to install. [emoji20]
Are you rooted? That can prevent the OTA from applying.

If you aren't rooted, download the full factory image and flash it with adb. This will not apply though if you're currently rooted, and will also throw an error.

If you are rooted (or bootloader unlocked at least), get the factory image and remove "-w" from the one line in the .bat (Windows) or .sh (Linux/Mac) file, so that it won't wipe your data. Leaving -w wipes the device, removing it preserves data. This is guaranteed to work.

• Like 1

Just now, ingenium said:

Are you rooted? That can prevent the OTA from applying.

If you aren't rooted, download the full factory image and flash it with adb. This will not apply though if you're currently rooted, and will also throw an error.

If you are rooted (or bootloader unlocked at least), get the factory image and remove "-w" from the one line in the .bat (Windows) or .sh (Linux/Mac) file, so that it won't wipe your data. Leaving -w wipes the device, removing it preserves data. This is guaranteed to work.

Nope not rooted. Completely stock. I will have to download the factory image but I dont want to delete all my stuff from the phone. I believe everything deletes if I flash the factory image from the settings right?

Nope not rooted. Completely stock. I will have to download the factory image but I dont want to delete all my stuff from the phone. I believe everything deletes if I flash the factory image from the settings right?
No. See my comment above. If you remove -w from the script and save it, it won't wipe data.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nexuss4g said:

Still havent been able to update to Android 10 on my P3XL as it fails to install. :(

I've had trouble updating Chrome, but a few weeks later, Google seemed to have fixed the installer.  There's the lazy option of waiting a few more weeks in hope of installer getting fixed.

Or 2 more weeks until October security update - which might fix it.

Or 4 more weeks until Pixel 4. :D:D:D

My old Pixel 3 XL had a broken USB-C Connector.  It would only charge if cable is inserted in one direction - no longer reversible connector.  I've got it all setup, so with a new IMEI, should I be able to get eSIM activated on it?

8 hours ago, crazy_vag said:

My old Pixel 3 XL had a broken USB-C Connector.  It would only charge if cable is inserted in one direction - no longer reversible connector.  I've got it all setup, so with a new IMEI, should I be able to get eSIM activated on it?

The answer is still a "no" on eSIM if you bought your phone from Google. After many attemps at the store, it just would not work, so back to physical SIM. 😖

4 hours ago, crazy_vag said:

The answer is still a "no" on eSIM if you bought your phone from Google. After many attemps at the store, it just would not work, so back to physical SIM. 😖

12 hours ago, crazy_vag said:

I just activated my girlfriends Google purchased P3 with e-sim right from the device itself running android 10. Sprint was an option through "download my sim" setting and auto-activated. 

2 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

I just activated my girlfriends Google purchased P3 with e-sim right from the device itself running android 10. Sprint was an option through "download my sim" setting and auto-activated. 

I see that same option, but continually get an error upon selecting it and confirming a sprint dialog.  Then I'm told to call a number for help.  Starting to suspect it's something about my plan / account that's choking it.

I see that same option, but continually get an error upon selecting it and confirming a sprint dialog.  Then I'm told to call a number for help.  Starting to suspect it's something about my plan / account that's choking it.
Could be. I have a Google purchased Pixel 3 XL and it worked fine. You get to the step where you login to your Sprint account and select the number right?

6 hours ago, ingenium said:

Could be. I have a Google purchased Pixel 3 XL and it worked fine. You get to the step where you login to your Sprint account and select the number right?

I never get to that step. Simply get an error.

I'll take a video of doing that when pixel 4 comes out.

I never get to that step. Simply get an error.
I'll take a video of doing that when pixel 4 comes out.
Wait you never even get to login to your Sprint account? I don't think that's Sprint related then. This might be a silly question, but you're on wifi when you try to add the eSIM right?

Do you have a regular Sprint account? Or is it through an MVNO?