Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

I just read that thread. Has anyone here experienced this? If so, have you been able to resolve the problem? How?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

You need the right SIM card and call or take to a store to activate.  If they cannot activate, tell them to look in the Playbook on 9/2/2015.  There it will tell them what to do to get activated.  They are allowed to whitelist the device, if necessary.  But they may need to call up the chain to get it done.  Don't take no for an answer.  Be polite and persistent.

• Like 1

You need the right SIM card and call or take to a store to activate. If they cannot activate, tell them to look in the Playbook on 9/2/2015. There it will tell them what to do to get activated. They are allowed to whitelist the device, if necessary. But they may need to call up the chain to get it done. Don't take no for an answer. Be polite and persistent.

Great. I'm still waiting for mine, but this information should make the process easier. The people here are intelligent and helpful. So glad I found this place.

To take a page from Aaron Rodgers' book, people need to R-E-L-A-X.

On almost anything technology related, early adopters face kinks that get worked out in due time.  Sprint knows that the unlocked 2015 Moto X is coming its way.  We have posted the internal documents to prove it.  But disseminating that information takes time.  And very few people (besides me) have the 2015 Moto X in their hands right now.  Most are still in Moto Maker manufacturing or in transit.  Motorola may have even given Sprint a date of next week when customers would start to receive their handsets.

I was going to swing by a Sprint Store in the Kansas City metro this evening while in town.  But I will probably pass.  Not worth my time and effort right now.  I will get the correct SIM shipped to me, and by the time it arrives, the kinks in the activation process will probably have been worked out.

AJ

• Like 1

To take a page from Aaron Rodgers' book, people need to R-E-L-A-X.

On almost anything technology related, early adopters face kinks that get worked out in due time. Sprint knows that the unlocked 2015 Moto X is coming its way. We have posted the internal documents to prove it. But disseminating that information takes time. And very few people (besides me) have the 2015 Moto X in their hands right now. Most are still in Moto Maker manufacturing or in transit. Motorola may have even given Sprint a date of next week when customers would start to receive their handsets.

I was going to swing by a Sprint Store in the Kansas City metro this evening while in town. But I will probably pass. Not worth my time and effort right now. I will get the correct SIM shipped to me, and by the time it arrives, the kinks in the activation process will probably have been worked out.

AJ

I'm just gather information to be prepared for when mine arrives. I'd much rather be over prepared...

Got my phone, in the sprint store trying to get a Sim, taking forever

You need the right SIM card and call or take to a store to activate. If they cannot activate, tell them to look in the Playbook on 9/2/2015. There it will tell them what to do to get activated. They are allowed to whitelist the device, if necessary. But they may need to call up the chain to get it done. Don't take no for an answer. Be polite and persistent.

It would be great for the rest of us if you could detail any hiccups and how you resolved them here.

Thanks!

Unfortunately this will be like all the other phone launches like this (Nexus 5, Nexus 6, unlocked iPhones) and there will be employees that know what they are doing, and others that don't. I keep hoping that eventually it will be more commonplace and it won't be a big deal, but with the high turnover rate that retail has it will continue to be a problem until unlocked phones are the default configuration. We keep getting closer to that being a reality every year.

Sent from my Tab 4

• Like 2

I'm just gather information to be prepared for when mine arrives. I'd much rather be over prepared...

Yeah, that quote makes it look like my post was directed specifically at you.  My mistake.  I was just using it as an example of people in a general sense.

I will change the quote to the one with the Reddit thread link.  Those people are up in arms and need to R-E-L-A-X.

AJ

• Like 2

I got my phone now, the device is in fact very nice to hold, was hesitant due to the size of the screen but overall I'm pretty happy. The speakers are great for normal listening and the screen is gorgeous. I'm waiting for my SIm card so will update in a few hours. Actually typing this message from my moto x

• Like 2

Quick update. Received my SIM Card an hour ago. Was unable to activate online since the IMEI is not recognized even by getting rid of the last number. On the phone with Customer Care and they state that I cannot activate because they sent me the incorrect SIM card. They are making me go to a Sprint Store to get a SIM :/, still on the line so I will update with the outcome.

• Like 1

Quick update. Received my SIM Card an hour ago. Was unable to activate online since the IMEI is not recognized even by getting rid of the last number. On the phone with Customer Care and they state that I cannot activate because they sent me the incorrect SIM card. They are making me go to a Sprint Store to get a SIM :/, still on the line so I will update with the outcome.

Thanks so much for the updates!

Sprint is shipping me another SIM Card, the part number is CZ2104LWR, but according to 

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4845-uicc-compatibility-matrix/

The Moto X 1G has the same SIM. 

So I wonder if I can swap with my old SIM Card and let them know to just swap it?  I will find out later during the weekend as I'm already fed up being on the phone for so long.

If anyone has luck, please let us know

The SIM card given to me was SIMOLW416C, I'm working with chat support trying to get mine activated, I'll update as it progresses

Please do.  I am thinking about returning my Moto Maker one whenever it gets here and just picking up one at Best Buy tomorrow.  Honestly, I don't really care what it looks like.  I saw a nearby Bestbuy has the black one in stock.  My device still hasn't shipped and my Nexus 5 doesn't hold a charge at all anymore.  Lucky to get 6-8 hours of very light usage from it.

The SIM they shipped me is SIMGLW406R.  Doesn't look like Sprint was prepared.  You would think they would be able to have somewhere within their system that says the exact SIM this device needs.  Strange that everyone keeps getting different ones, ha.

Please do.  I am thinking about returning my Moto Maker one whenever it gets here and just picking up one at Best Buy tomorrow.  Honestly, I don't really care what it looks like.  I saw a nearby Bestbuy has the black one in stock.  My device still hasn't shipped and my Nexus 5 doesn't hold a charge at all anymore.  Lucky to get 6-8 hours of very light usage from it.

The SIM they shipped me is SIMGLW406R.  Doesn't look like Sprint was prepared.  You would think they would be able to have somewhere within their system that says the exact SIM this device needs.  Strange that everyone keeps getting different ones, ha.

45 minutes of nothing, but frustration.  I have been told I was given the wrong SIM, it is not compatible with the Moto X.  However, the tech could not tell me what the right SIM was, tried to shove me off to order support with an 800 number.  With the SIM in, my Moto X sees the Sprint network, sees the LTE signal, gives me readings that are comparable to my S4T, so it seems to work with the phone fine.  Tweeted at Marcelo's team to see if this can get straightened out.

• Like 1

45 minutes of nothing, but frustration.  I have been told I was given the wrong SIM, it is not compatible with the Moto X.  However, the tech could not tell me what the right SIM was, tried to shove me off to order support with an 800 number.  With the SIM in, my Moto X sees the Sprint network, sees the LTE signal, gives me readings that are comparable to my S4T, so it seems to work with the phone fine.  Tweeted at Marcelo's team to see if this can get straightened out.

On the bright spot, wasn't the S4T a pretty solid RF performer?  And you said the readings are similar?   :lol:

So now Bestbuy's website updated and the closest BB has some in stock.  Really thinking about scooping one up in the morning - but I want to know I won't have to spend the whole day trying to get it activated.

The SIM they shipped me is SIMGLW406R.

SIMGLW406R is what I picked up at the corporate store across the street from the Sprint Campus this evening.  I believe it is also the SIM that is in my Republic Wireless 2014 Moto X, which runs on the Sprint network via a Sprint SIM.  So, one would think this SIM to be compatible with the 2015 Moto X.

AJ

You would think they would be able to have somewhere within their system that says the exact SIM this device needs.

Sprint does, but maybe not for an unlocked, Sprint capable, but unofficial device that just made its way into the hands of a select few consumers in the past 48 hours.  The 2015 Moto X will get added to the SIM list.  Just give it due time.

Honestly, the notion of the SIM card is not all it is cracked up to be.  Different sizes, different types -- hardly universally compatible.  Apple has almost constantly driven down the size of SIMs from micro then to mini then to nano.  Now, Apple wants to reduce that size to zero with a "virtual" SIM.  Choose/switch your provider right on the handset.  And that is probably how it should be, getting rid of all of these physical SIM issues.

AJ

• Like 6